PDA

View Full Version : FFVII Game Crashes

sawyerm
21st Aug 2012, 20:11
This will probably only interest a small number of very security minded people, but if you are running Microsoft's Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) software and configure it to use anything besides the recommended (all opt in) settings, FFVII_Launcher.exe will simply not load. You will see an appcrash in the error viewer listing an "invalid instruction." The solution is either to uninstall EMET, or change to the "recommended settings" drop down and reboot when you want to play.

This is likely a result of the DRM protecting the game. It's really unacceptable to have to disable security software to get a game to work, but I'm guessing that there will be no changes because the software is provided by another vendor.

muharulz
21st Aug 2012, 21:33
so... ff7 crashes whenever Cid does a Hyper Jump against Proud Clod. I heard this was a problem in the old release of FF7, but I've got the brand new one. What's up with this?

Quadocky
22nd Aug 2012, 01:19
Well, this is a re-release of the PC version from 1998. So it still may have some obscure bugs laying around.

I never even heard of that bug before though.

jt2414-281443
23rd Aug 2012, 20:09
I woul;d call and report it.

310-846-0345 Option 3

AskaLangly
25th Aug 2012, 20:36
This happened during the third assault on Fort Condor.
For those who don't recall:
1st battle is upon arrival to Fort Condor.
2nd is after saving Pricilla in Lower Junon. (Party is just Cloud.)
3rd is after you're in the water with the dolphin, but NOT on the beam to Upper Junon. You leave the water and the area altogether. (Again, just Cloud.)

Anyway, I was placing Defenders, Shooters, and Catapults for a while, then I figured to place a Fighter. Apparently I got a crash.
Any way to submit a bug report or something?

Xedou
5th Sep 2012, 19:17
Same problem... Tried to uninstall, clean registry, redownload, reinstall aaaaaand.... The problem goes on...

I already have a Black Chocobo and can't catch the Huge Materia from Fort Condor.... Just a game crash...

Clouder90
7th Sep 2012, 02:23
That problem seems to be dating back to older PC-version. there is no known fix, at least not that i know of. You could try installing mods or unofficial patches, but i would not recommend it because those can really break the game and render it unplayable.

Unitearica-299614
8th Sep 2012, 17:39
Been having LOTS of issues (which still havent resolved to continue in the game) with the Fort Condor battle sequence for the Huge Materia consistantly crashing halfway through the battle. I know I have talked to a couple of ppl now who have said they have the same problem and cannot progress with the story.

Anyone else have this issue or figure out how to get around it?

Xedou
12th Sep 2012, 15:59
Don't know if it was just a coincidence but I just added the "ff7_en.exe" and the "FF7_Launcher.exe" at my AVG Identity Protection and the game goes fine.
Already past the Fort Condor part and I'm now at the North Crater.

burrito
22nd Oct 2012, 17:11
This is becoming unbearable and as a software architect and product manager, I'm appalled at Square Enix's almost complete lack of response to the issues their paying customers are experiencing. Was this port QA'd at all before it was released for sale? My game crashes every ~15 minutes or so, usually when I'm in the middle of changing scenes. I receive a worthless error that an unknown exception has occurred and then my game client crashes back to the launcher. To make this issue even more insanely frustrating, sometimes the "cloud save" feature decides to not work for about 10 minutes for no reason at all. Do you understand why this is frustrating? I have to save as often as possible because I don't know when my game is going to crash, but I'm randomly unable to save because the game won't allow me to save locally.

I'm going to be quite honest: about 2 years ago, I downloaded and played a pirated version of the original PC version without ANY of the issues people are experiencing here. I was super excited to find out that Square Enix was re-releasing FF7 and a couple days ago, I jumped at the chance to pay for one of my favorite games of all time. So what happened? Who thought it was a good idea to add a completely unnecessary "cloud save" feature? How does that benefit me in any way whatsoever? The suggestions in the FAQ are a joke: go check my firewall settings? Please. How about you actually test it? How about someone at Square Enix actually tries to play the game all the way through? I can guarantee they'll experience the same frustrations we're experiencing.

I completely understand that bugs happen and I know that you can't discover everything before release. But it's completely unacceptable to charge people money for a product and not respond to their support requests. SQUARE ENIX: START COMMUNICATING WITH YOUR CUSTOMERS. Even if you don't know what's wrong, tell us what you're doing to figure it out.

neo200080
22nd Oct 2012, 21:49
hi anyone knows how to fix this thing is I was playing ff7
and my internet will save the game fell to pay the computer and when trying to refresh my games will not let me stay in the gray continue button and uninstall and install him again and nothing tells me synchronization error

burrito
24th Oct 2012, 12:06
Anything? Hello? Is everyone on vacation for the rest of the year?

kane100574
18th Nov 2012, 18:33
I am so stuck... trying to get the Huge Materia from the fort and freezes during the mini game. Several times now I get an unknown error :( Can't get past this part of the game because of crash/freeze :( Any solutions yet?

SE-Chris
28th Nov 2012, 15:12
I'm sorry to hear these game issues that you guys are running into. To start off we'd like you to post some information if possible about your system environments to see if there is any common trait that you share since you seem to be experiencing a similar issue. For any issues were the game is crashing entirely you will want to double check the three big troubleshooting areas: Complete your Windows Update, Download and install the latest version of DirectX from Microsoft and update your video card drivers from your manufacturer, whether that be AMD or Nvidia.

Macintrasher
21st Dec 2012, 19:14
I'm having 2 issues that I can't find answers to, one major and one minor.

The first issue (major) is that, when I start up the game, I'll occasionally get a Windows 7 pop-up crash notification saying that Windows Explorer (the desktop) has crashed. Explorer manages to restarts every time and I can return to the game with no issue, but the problem persists even after I've closed the game. The crashes/pop-ups can happen as frequently as every 5-10 minutes or just once in a while, and only rebooting solves the issue for good.

The second issue (minor, but annoying) involves the controls. I have an Xbox 360 controller, and I also have a Playstation Dual Shock 2 controller connected with a USB adapter. I'm able to set the controls from the configs in the launcher, and it'll set for both controllers without a problem, but once the game launches, it always defaults to the keyboard without fail. I've tried setting the controller within the game, but it's as if the controller isn't even recognized and no inputs work at all. The controller is completely ignored.

The major problem will likely require a game patch, but the minor can probably be solved with a config file edit. Anyone have a solution? I'm running 2 Radeon HD 7970's, sometimes in CrossfireX and sometimes on a single card. The next time I play the game I'll turn CrossfireX off and see if that fixes the crashing issue. I'm also considering using AMD's beta drivers to see if that happens to change anything. For reference, here are my tech specs:

MOBO: MSI 890GXM-G65 (MS-7642)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T CPU 6-core 2.8 GHz
VIDEO: 2 x AMD Radeon HD 7970 HIS IceQ X3 running AMD v.12.10 drivers
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw 8 GB DDR3-1600
Storage: 2 x OCG Agility 3 60 GB SSD's in RAID 0
2 x White label 150 GB 10,000 RPM SATA enterprise level plater drives in RAID 0
White label 320 GB platter drive

vyau
21st Dec 2012, 20:31
I have an XBOX 360 USB controller and use the gamepad with no problem (only weird thing is having to pass the "KEYBOARD controls" help screen with the Enter key on the keyboard instead of pushing A), have you installed the Windows drivers from Microsoft?

Macintrasher
21st Dec 2012, 21:16
UPDATE!

For some strange reason, the Dual Shock controller suddenly started working with the game. I played the game 3 times before this, and it defaulted to to the keyboard each time, but this time the controller worked without a hitch (and it felt very nostalgic, to say the least). Also, in regards to the CrossfireX idea that I said I wanted to try, I disabled it and didn't have a single Windows Explorer crash either in-game or after closing the game. I'm beginning to think that both issues were somehow tied to CrossfireX.

I've had various issues with CrossFireX in the past, but this is the first that *seemingly* were tied to the controller. In most cases, it was flickering issues or moving objects causing tracer/trailing effects, but I originally didn't have any graphical issues with FF7. For now, it seems both issues are solved. Solution: Disable Crossfire. Hopefully the devs will see this and address it with AMD by way of driver updates/patches. Users of Crossfire should be told of this potential issue. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, since it's the HD 7970 and it's so new.

Othersise, I'm just bummed the FMVs didn't get updated, and the music isn't as impactful as the original PS1 version. Othersie, it's as dead-on as the original and very nostalgic to play. :)

Macintrasher
25th Dec 2012, 23:05
***UPDATE!***

While I've officially been able to solve the Windows Explorer crashing issues by disabling Crossfire, the controller issues seem to be random. Sometimes, I can use the controller without issue, while othertimes it refuses to work at all and I'm defaulted to the keyboard. I've done a number of things, such as set the Dual Shock controller as the primary device, reload the game, disconnect any other devices (including the keyboard), but no matter what I do, the game completely decides at random what input device it wants to use. Nothing short of a reboot and a prayer makes it work, though I very highly suspect that using an Xbox controller first with another game causes confusion with FF7, and perhaps having it connected at all might cause issues. I shouldn't have to play the unplug/replug game with this. We left that behind in the days of Windows 98, and I think you'd have this nailed down in 2012.

I'll continue looking into this, but you guys at the top NEED to relay this info to the programmers so a patch can be made. At the very least, do some testing of your own and post a related FAQ about this! I can't be the only one having issues like this, especially given the random nature of the problem!

Macintrasher
28th Dec 2012, 22:46
*UPDATE*

In regard to the controller issue, it seems to be tied to which ever controller is used *before* FF7 is started immediately after a (re)boot. If I boot up and immediately start up the game with my Dual Shock controller plugged in and no other controller devices are connected, it works without a problem. However, if I were to use my Xbox 360 controller to play a game before playing FF7, then the Dual Shock is completely ignored and won't function without a reboot/default to the keyboard. It's only with FF7 that I have this problem, as no other game gives me this issue. Some games can be problematic when it comes to having 2 controllers plugged in at once, but for many of them, the ones I've configured to use with a particular controller by default will work with that controller, as the games can usually tell the difference In those instances where a program might get confused, I'll just quit the plrogram, unplug the controller I don't want to use, restart the program, and play. FF7 Doesn't work this way, as restarting the launcher/game doesn't fix the issue; it's entirely dependent upon the 'default' controller being plugged in when the PC boots/when the program is run that determines if it'll work.

Things to note are that A) the functionality of the controller is dependent on which controller is plugged in and functioning when the PC boots. B) Unplugging the 360 receiver and/or keyboard doesn't solve the issue. It's entirely dependent on the controller you want to use being plugged in when the PC boots. C) Using the Dual Shock *requires* a (re)boot. D) While other games can get confused when both the Dual Shock and Xbox 360 controller are plugged in at the same time, if you quit said game, unplug the controller you don't want to use and restart the game, it works without a hitch. *Unfortunately*, FF7 will be utterly confused without a reboot and will default to the keyboard everytime, no matter how many times you restart the game/launcher or what controller configs you make, and E) Even though you can manually set the controller buttons in the FF7 launcher without rebooting, and even *see the button configs change right in front of your eyes*, indicating that it's functional, it will STILL default to the keyboard. YOU MUST REBOOT WITH THE CONTROLLER YOU WANT TO USE, AND ONLY THAT CONTROLLER, PLUGGED IN WHEN YOU BOOT THE PC!

At the moment, I have another important program running in the background, so I can't readily reboot the PC. Unless I reboot, neither the Dual Shock controller, nor the 360 Controller, will work properly, and FF7 will default to the keyboard. Thanks, Squaresoft, for not catching up to 21st century plug-and-play technology.

Macintrasher
29th Dec 2012, 17:07
UPDATE

OK, I completely give up. None of my controllers work now. For some strange reason, neither the Xbox 360 controller, nor my Playstation Dual Shock controller will work with the game. I had the Dual Shock working for a while, but nothing I do will get it working again. Rebooting, unplugging the keyboard, manually setting the buttons on the launcher... nothing works. Someone *PLEASE* explain to me: if I can set the controller buttons at anytime within the launcher, even change the buttons and CLEARLY see the changes happening right in front of my eyes, *why does the game default to the keyboard*?!?! Why is the controller completely ignored once the game is launched!? I just don't know what the problem is! It's so inconsistant and random, and I don't have any of these problems with any other games on my system! I quit! If the geniuses at SquareEnix can find the solution so I can play this game again without having to rely exclusively on the keyboard, I'll be indebted to them, but until then, it's just not worth all the hassle. I'm gonna play something else...

ScottFaver
22nd Jan 2013, 12:56
Hello,
I recently got a new PC to replace my old netbook, and I wanted to transfer over my copy of the FF7 PC re-release that came out not too long ago. I managed to get the setup file over to my new PC and I went through the installation. I went throught the installation process and I loaded up the game and signed into my account. When I pressed play, It crashed and re-opened. I can't seem to get it to work. It even works on my old machine, but not my new one. My new PC is running Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) if that helps at all. I would really enjoy some feedback on possible solutions.

Grimoire
24th Jan 2013, 06:44
This question belongs in the [FINAL FANTASY VII PC Technical Issues and Support Forum (http://na.square-enix.com/go/forum/view/139347/236247/final_fantasy_vii_pc_technical_issues_and_support_forum)]. You are more likely to receive help there than here.

legacy3233
24th Jan 2013, 19:56
I'm having this same problem. I was able to boot the game earlier, but now it just crashes back to the launcher. I've done multiple fresh installs.

SE-Chris
24th Jan 2013, 20:06
The big three things we can do to troubleshoot this issue are as follows:

Update your graphics card drivers by visiting the card manufacturer's website, downloading and installing the newest version. Check out www.amd.com or www.nvidia.com for these files
Get the latest version of DirectX from the Microsoft Web Installer
Do all the Windows Updates you can find via the Windows Update tool on your system

Go ahed and give these a shot, if your'e still having an issue, reply to this thread and we'll look into it further. If you've got a minute or two feel free to browse some of the other threads and see if any of them match your issue exactly and may contain fixes.

legacy3233
24th Jan 2013, 21:41
Not entirely sure which one did it, but one of these definitely worked. Thanks for your help, Chris.

Clouder90
29th Aug 2013, 10:54
This is a percisting problem, as i have had this happen on multiple different Bossfights. First it happened when fighting Schizo right before entering the Crater for the first time, then against the Ultima Weapon in Mideel and Proud Clod in Midgar.

It only happens in bossfights, and it is really annoying since Cid(Hyper Jump being Cids Limit Break) is one of the main characters i use the most. I can go around it by keeping the Limit Break at level 1, but that feels kinda dumb. And quite frankly, the game shouldn't be crashing when i play it normally. It's just messed up.

TheLunchHero
4th Sep 2013, 02:49
I'm having this Problem where When I Fight The Last Boss Sephiroth The game progress fine untill it After the credits and the last cut scene where the game just shuts down and Cloud saving turns of telling me to Check my Network settings, even thought My internet is working fine.
I'm not sure what to do can someone Help me fix this problem?
{I didn't use Booster:

DarkTiamatZERO
4th Sep 2013, 08:57
Should have bought the PSN version

TheLunchHero
7th Sep 2013, 16:17
Your probably right :/