PDA

View Full Version : Broken Genius

Do Robots Dream
17th Dec 2011, 17:32
I just finished my first playthrough of this game. I have to say that I am deeply saddened by how good this game could have been, unfortunately I found the end experience to be extremely lacking.

Let me start off by saying what I loved:

Overall style: The game had a super cool, sci-fi/film noir vibe which I loved. The music, voice acting, graphics, environments and quests (both main and side) really brought this style to life in a way that simply was not possible when the original Deus Ex was made.
Overall vision: The augs were all cool, had great visual effects and generally kicked ass.
Overall story: The themes of transhumanism, choice, conspiracy, technological advancement and morality are all fascinating ones.

So with so much going for it, why did I end up so disappointed?

The game never brought everything together.

1. The themes, while incredible, were not properly explored through gameplay. I tried to play this as a run and gunner. This is impossible. I have been playing FPS since Doom II and have sat at the top of servers of games from CS to MW3, so for me to not be able to run and gun on medium difficultly means that the game is effectively broken.

Deus Ex while supposedly being the game about choice, ultimately pigeon holed me into a play style which I DID NOT want to play. I DID NOT want to be a non-lethal takedown master, I DID NOT want to hide in shadows and behind cover. I wanted to walk up to fools and blast them in the face with a 8-barrelled shotgun which fires rockets.

I'm supposed to be some augmented super-cop, but I can't even handle a few measly bullets to the chest?

There needed to be much more upgrade options for action. I'm talking increased health, increased health regen rate, much more increased dermal armour, an aug that lets you carry unlimited ammo and weapons, an aug which puts a rocket launcher for my left hand and a chain gun for my right. In the original with armour and health regen you could get into serious fire fights with serious weaponry. You could blow in the door and lay waste to everyone.

The game forces a particular, stealth and non-lethal focused play style that I did not sign up for.

At first I could get by hiding behind cover and actually have fire fights. Then I realised how much exp I was wasting, when enemies got more armour it was near impossible to defeat them without using cheap AI tactics. It was infinitely easier and more rewarding to pistol them in the head from stealth or use the ever-so-cheap double takedown spamming.

The characters were never properly developed. Forcing someone to spend hours reading hacking computers (for the cheesy xp) and tiny portions of story is POOR DESIGN. You should SHOW us what's going on behind the scenes. I still don't know why I should care about any of the major characters. Their motivations and personalities all seem paper thin. Doctor Reed turns out to be a *****, why should I even care? Did I even love her? For how long did we even date? What went wrong with the relationship? Is it something I did wrong that I wish I could have apologised for before she died? These kinds of questions should all be answered in the core gameplay. Same goes with all of the main characters. Why did that triad chick rock up at incredibly important times in the game? Who even was she and why should I care?

A few of the characters were reasonably well fleshed out, such as Sarriff, Taggot and Darrow. But they needed strong motivations. I needed to see and feel their power rippling through the world like an invisible hand. In Deus Ex, the whole world was under the thumb of the Grey Death. It toppled nations and controlled the elite. In HR it seemed like a bunch of disconnected people with reach I heard about but could never really feel, their motivations never made much sense or had any real weight behind them.

The implementation of the augs and recharge was terrible. There was not point in upgrading the cell number because they didn't recharge. As such it meant that the augs which required significant energy also required jarring stops in the gameplay. Hiding while stuff recharges over and over again is not fun. It's boring. It ruins combat entirely. When you have to recharge 5 times per room and just spam the same ability (takedown) you got yourself a flawed energy system. It completely ruined the augs for me.

Hacking itself was completely retarded. The mini game was pretty much just luck and again, BORING repetition. The xp and other rewards were completely over powered, meaning that once again the CHOICE was made by poor game design. Either do the crappy mini game over and over again to read pointless email or seriously ruin your character.

The truth of this game is that it could've been so much more. It has all the groundwork of a true masterpiece, but ultimately a few poorly designed elements such as forcing players to seek out story elements through boring reading (instead of SHOWING through the gameplay, cut scenes and dialogue), not giving characters enough depth and motivation, poor aug power system, which forces you to wait around like a retard while it recharges, complete lack of a true 'super soldier' of that can go terminator on mofos. Ultimately what you have is a stealthy takedown master, who loves to hack. Every other way of playing the game is frustrating and unrewarding in terms of gameplay experience and xp. Don't even get me started on the god damn over powered bosses, who basically require incredibly cheap tactics to beat without getting owned over and over again (and then become completely easy with the cheap ass typhoon mod.)

The so called "Choice" basically boils down to: Get completed owned or play it the way it was 'meant' to be player. There is no true choice, except for a few different paths to each goal, which while great was simply not enough for me to enjoy the experience.

Nice try, but no dice.

sonicsidewinder
17th Dec 2011, 18:52
Yep.

Ulitmately the concessions to modern game design causes HR to slip up under it's own potential.

Gotta have xp numbers popping up all over the screen as justification for doing anything. Which if you took that away, the game would be very poor.

It can't carry itself on its own ideas.

sadmachine
18th Dec 2011, 01:05
I read "broken genius" and thought this thread was going to be about Megan or Darrow or both.

JCpies
18th Dec 2011, 19:04
1. The themes, while incredible, were not properly explored through gameplay. I tried to play this as a run and gunner. This is impossible. I have been playing FPS since Doom II and have sat at the top of servers of games from CS to MW3, so for me to not be able to run and gun on medium difficultly means that the game is effectively broken.

Hey, I can "run and gun" just fine. It seems that the regenerating health isn't quick enough for you, and that having to use your brain is too hard for you as well. No offence.

This isn't Counter Strike or Call of Duty.

ZakKa89
18th Dec 2011, 19:20
You are wrong about everything. Goodbye

Solid_1723
18th Dec 2011, 21:29
You are wrong about everything. Goodbye

Not much more to add really.

You can still play this game as a pure shooter if you like to. The fact that you still need to take a slightly more realistic approach than in CoD and don't magically heal up in five seconds isn't really a flaw you know. It's a good thing.

Darthassin
19th Dec 2011, 06:34
DXHR is not a straight foreward shooter.

The weapons are very powerful and precise. That means you kill quickly, but you can also die quickly. And that forces much more tactical approach in combat. You need to think and be smarter than your enemies. AI isn't the sharpest I've seen, but it has pretty good aim and it is fun to play with.

Goodfeller
19th Dec 2011, 09:24
I've only just started playing, haven't gotten far yet. But I have to say I'm finding it intensely enjoyable. If I have any gripes at all, it's the fact there don't appear to be as many turrets or robots as there were in the previous games. And I absolutely loved those. The emphasis on non-lethal takedowns is also a bit of a drag. But I don't let that bother me, because I mostly just shoot everybody anyways.

Daedatheus
19th Dec 2011, 14:59
Absolutely correct on 3 main points:

- Themes not explored in depth, very superficially laid out as if in an early high school philosophy course
- Characters horrendously under-developed
- Aug recharge system broken/useless to upgrade

Also the plot jumps around too much and throws random events and places too readily at the player, especially the last act of the game.

I feel the same way, it had the potential to be a masterpiece but fell short for some very key reasons. Make no mistake though, to be in this category means it's still a great game, and one that I've already played twice (I know, that's nothing compared to those who have done 4-8 playthroughs or whatever, but I prefer to keep space between playthroughs to keep things fresh, the more space between playthroughs usually but not always means the more I like the game. Didn't replay DX1 until YEARS later, for example)

However, I disagree as far as running and gunning goes - in fact I found running and gunning, provided you chose the right weapons and augs (yes, weapons are very important, don't use the stealth pistol if you want to blow **** up, go for explosive revolver! etc) was a fairly easy and frankly unrewarding way to play the game, and really took the tension out. On harder difficulties it's also less and less possible. In any case I consider that a good thing.

However, perhaps you were playing on the hardest difficulty, but it's not fair to compare the game to other shooters simply because they've become the standard. You know how ridiculous you would sound if you were in the army and said "what, you can't even take a measly 3 to 4 bullets to the chest?" Adam is still meant to be human, just a little more enhanced. Play accordingly. And be sure to skip around like a fool with the upgraded jump everywhere you go :p

subtlesnake
19th Dec 2011, 16:26
Deus Ex while supposedly being the game about choice, ultimately pigeon holed me into a play style which I DID NOT want to play. I DID NOT want to be a non-lethal takedown master, I DID NOT want to hide in shadows and behind cover. I wanted to walk up to fools and blast them in the face with a 8-barrelled shotgun which fires rockets.

There needed to be much more upgrade options for action. I'm talking increased health, increased health regen rate, much more increased dermal armour, an aug that lets you carry unlimited ammo and weapons, an aug which puts a rocket launcher for my left hand and a chain gun for my right. In the original with armour and health regen you could get into serious fire fights with serious weaponry. You could blow in the door and lay waste to everyone.

I'm supposed to be some augmented super-cop, but I can't even handle a few measly bullets to the chest?
Choice is only meaningful in the face of restrictions. Does it matter which gun you use if they all shoot hundreds of bullets a second? Does it matter which ammo type you pick if ammo is never in danger of running out? Does it matter how you approach an enemy hideout, if all ways are guaranteed to succeed (you walk in the front door and take everyone out with your chain gun and rocket launcher)?

Deus Ex is about choice in the sense that often your choices are difficult, and that making the right choice really does count. That's why the decisions you make are meaningful. Because they have consequences.

In fact that's the opposite of being able to play however you want. If you want mindless violence then Serious Sam is probably the series you're looking for.

Olgerth Heidern
19th Dec 2011, 18:14
AJ is way too squishy for run and gun combat, that is the truth. You have to do the duck-and-cover thing, even when you are fully cranked out on defenses. Of course, the gun battles are more realistic that way, but they are realistic in a sense "you're a regular dude with a few cyber bits tacked on", not "you're the Real Terminator and Ahnuld is jealous".

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Dec 2011, 18:26
I read "broken genius" and thought this thread was going to be about Megan or Darrow or both.

Same here.
But I am impressed with OP's screen name. :D

Shralla
19th Dec 2011, 19:23
There needed to be much more upgrade options for action. I'm talking increased health, increased health regen rate, much more increased dermal armour, an aug that lets you carry unlimited ammo and weapons, an aug which puts a rocket launcher for my left hand and a chain gun for my right.

No.

VectorM
19th Dec 2011, 19:46
There needed to be much more upgrade options for action. I'm talking increased health, increased health regen rate, much more increased dermal armour, an aug that lets you carry unlimited ammo and weapons, an aug which puts a rocket launcher for my left hand and a chain gun for my right.

Not sure if serious.

pukster
19th Dec 2011, 22:30
Had you posted this 4 months ago torrents of people would have agreed with you. But most of them are gone and the ones remaining suckle at the teet of Adam Jenson.

I tried to play this as a run and gunner. This is impossible.

Running and gunning sucks in this game. It's a role playing game, if I want to assume the 'role' of John Rambo that should be my choice. They literally made every bad decision in this respect: no health packs, regenerating health is slow, dermal armor sucks, weapons are weak, weapons are poorly balanced, weapon switch time is too long...

everything else was poorly implemented too and has been discussed here to death: hacking mini game used to pad out length of game, hit and miss hacking system, xp handed out like candy, battery issues, actions not having any consequences on the story, side quests that have nothing to do with anything...

There are other problems, like the security terminals for A LOT of the bots/turrets are behind the enemy. I get that this is tactically sound, but it makes for BORING GAMEPLAY. Imagine if in FEAR the control for the turrets was BEHIND the replicas. Other simple decisions, like not being able to crouch when hacking !>?!???!?!?!?!??###$?!?! so stupid.

Also I started vomiting a little in my mouth after the 50th time Adam would cross his arms and shift his weight half way through every conversation.

ilweran
20th Dec 2011, 13:28
There are health packs in the game, they're called painkillers and hypostims and you can use them before the health regen kicks in as well as for temporarily increasing your health above 100.

subtlesnake
20th Dec 2011, 13:46
Had you posted this 4 months ago torrents of people would have agreed with you. But most of them are gone and the ones remaining suckle at the teet of Adam Jenson.
The game is widely considered to have many flaws, but the fact that you have to put some modicum of thought into how you approach combat situations, isn't one of them. Arguably, the biggest complaint has been that combat is made too simple, once you fully upgrade the pistol (headshots = instant win).

Running and gunning sucks in this game. It's a role playing game, if I want to assume the 'role' of John Rambo that should be my choice. They literally made every bad decision in this respect: no health packs, regenerating health is slow, dermal armor sucks, weapons are weak, weapons are poorly balanced, weapon switch time is too long...
You're not playing as John Rambo, you're playing as Adam Jenson. It's part of the games design that you have to approach situations tactically, conserve your ammo, and make each shot count. If you want a straightforward shooter there are millions of them out there. But that's not what Deus Ex is.

VectorM
20th Dec 2011, 14:59
Anyone that wants to play this game like your typical run and gun shooter should go and play Serious Sam and stay the hell off of these forums, forever. Seriously, you are BAD influence for this game.

Locutus of BORG
20th Dec 2011, 15:43
Hey, I can "run and gun" just fine. It seems that the regenerating health isn't quick enough for you, and that having to use your brain is too hard for you as well. No offence.

This isn't Counter Strike or Call of Duty.

There are youtube videos out there proving how you can run&gun perfectly fine in this game, even on hard.

pukster
20th Dec 2011, 19:20
...combat is made too simple, once you fully upgrade the pistol (headshots = instant win).

That's not simple, that's a flaw. They should have used skills like in the previous DX such that all weapons are initially weak, then they become bad ass. Also the pistol is not for combat, it's like the takedown: a cheap way to silently take someone out and hide -> rinse repeat.

You're not playing as John Rambo, you're playing as Adam Jenson. It's part of the games design that you have to approach situations tactically, conserve your ammo, and make each shot count. If you want a straightforward shooter there are millions of them out there. But that's not what Deus Ex is.

I'm not talking about detonating a nuke in the middle of detroit, but if I take 3 bullets I expect Jenson to keep on fighting.

pukster
20th Dec 2011, 19:40
Anyone that wants to play this game like your typical run and gun shooter should go and play Serious Sam and stay the hell off of these forums, forever. Seriously, you are BAD influence for this game.

You could run and gun in the original. You wouldn't do it from beginning to end, but you would evaluate your surroundings and find the best way to ambush. You just can't do that in this game anymore because your armour sucks and your health goes down too quickly. What I want is more batteries, more healthpacks, more recharge bots, a constant health regen aug (+10 every second) so that if I WANT to jump into a room with 8 bad guys I can get creative in there. I don't want it to be like that scene in Zhao's appartment where you had to hide like a rat. I want it to be like that level in DX where you go to reprogram the nuke and there are a half dozen MJ12 commands and several MIBs. You can actually get into a fight with all of them without dying instantly.

Solid_1723
20th Dec 2011, 20:50
You could run and gun in the original. You wouldn't do it from beginning to end, but you would evaluate your surroundings and find the best way to ambush. You just can't do that in this game anymore because your armour sucks and your health goes down too quickly. What I want is more batteries, more healthpacks, more recharge bots, a constant health regen aug (+10 every second) so that if I WANT to jump into a room with 8 bad guys I can get creative in there. I don't want it to be like that scene in Zhao's appartment where you had to hide like a rat. I want it to be like that level in DX where you go to reprogram the nuke and there are a half dozen MJ12 commands and several MIBs. You can actually get into a fight with all of them without dying instantly.

It even makes sense within the lore of the series that you can't do that in HR as nanoaugmentation is supposed to be another big leap forward from mechanical augs. It's Ok that Adam doesn't have the same godlike capabilities that JC has in my opinion.

Also there's nothing stopping you from jumping into that room with 8 enemies and getting creative. You just have to use different augs to achieve victory. In DX you would for example use ballistic shields, health regen and your guns to clear this room. In HR a combination of icarus landing system, typhoon, cloak, takedowns and a revolver with explosive rounds will wreak an equal amount of havok if not more. Of course you'll have to spec Adam accordingly to entertain that kind of playstyle.

VectorM
20th Dec 2011, 22:21

Go play something else. Deus Ex is not for you, clearly.

pukster
21st Dec 2011, 05:01
Go play something else. Deus Ex is not for you, clearly.

Oh my god, as if dealing with my parents over the holidays wasn't torture enough. Did you not read the part where I mentioned I could do this DX but not HR??? Clearly I am not new to the role playing genre. This goes WAY back to what I told the OP:

"Had you posted this 4 months ago torrents of people would have agreed with you. But most of them are gone and the ones remaining suckle at the teet of Adam Jenson."

sadmachine
21st Dec 2011, 05:41
Jenson, I am disappoint.

VectorM
21st Dec 2011, 12:29
Oh my god, as if dealing with my parents over the holidays wasn't torture enough. Did you not read the part where I mentioned I could do this DX but not HR???

And you can do just fine in this game as well, if you didn't completely SUCK at it.

No, you can't run and gun in THE SAME manner as you would in the original, WHICH IS A GOOD THING. If you can't be bothered to take cover, think about your ammunition supply and reload time, then I am sorry, that's not the game's fault.

Ashpolt
21st Dec 2011, 12:55
Oh my god, as if dealing with my parents over the holidays wasn't torture enough. Did you not read the part where I mentioned I could do this DX but not HR??? Clearly I am not new to the role playing genre. This goes WAY back to what I told the OP:

"Had you posted this 4 months ago torrents of people would have agreed with you. But most of them are gone and the ones remaining suckle at the teet of Adam Jenson."

OK, as one of this game's more vocal critics:

I agree with VectorM. The fact that this game cannot be played like Serious Sam is a strength, not a weakness, and even just after the game was released there would never have been "torrents" of people saying otherwise. The necessity of approaching combat tactically is one of the most widely praised aspects of the game. You can play it as a pure action game up to a point - on my second playthrough I went all-out lethal on Deus Ex difficulty without really breaking a sweat - but to allow for the player to become a semi-invulnerable walking tank (while also allowing for challenging-but-possible stealth play) would make balance impossible.

Also, lern2spel Jensen.

subtlesnake
21st Dec 2011, 12:57
That's not simple, that's a flaw. They should have used skills like in the previous DX such that all weapons are initially weak, then they become bad ass. Also the pistol is not for combat, it's like the takedown: a cheap way to silently take someone out and hide -> rinse repeat.
It's the quickest way of killing enemies, so of course it's for combat! And when fully upgraded it does become "badass". Only, it breaks the game somewhat.

I'm not talking about detonating a nuke in the middle of detroit, but if I take 3 bullets I expect Jenson to keep on fighting.
You can do that, if you fully upgrade your dermal armour. You're not invincible, but then Adam isn't terminator.

Very few people have criticized the game for being too difficult. The common criticisms are:

Fully upgraded pistol is overpowered. There needs to be a more extreme difficulty level. The player can unlock too many augs. The game stops throwing new challenges at you after the last two thirds. Last level is terrible, etc.

Most of the people in this thread would probably agree with these points. So if anything the complaint is that the game wasn't challenging enough.

You get "creative" by staying out of fire, using grenades and your typhoon when facing groups, getting the drop on enemies where possible with your Icarus aug, and not staying in one place for too long.

Here's a video, of someone clearing out the police station, using run and gun, but *smart* run and gun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcvskkMCeJ4

That's what the style of the game is. It's a tactical shooter. You're free not to like that, but that's just a gameplay preference. EM succeeded in creating the type of game they wanted to create. If you play Oblivion or Skyrim, and you miss having guns, then that's unfortunate. It doesn't mean that those games are 'flawed'.

Just because a game is an RPG, doesn't mean there should be no restrictions on what the player can do. Creating restrictions is part of creating the world. And in this world you play Adam Jenson, not John Rambo, and you're meant to have difficulty surviving.

Arksun
21st Dec 2011, 18:43
Overall style: The game had a super cool, sci-fi/film noir vibe which I loved. The music, voice acting, graphics, environments and quests (both main and side) really brought this style to life in a way that simply was not possible when the original Deus Ex was made.
Overall vision: The augs were all cool, had great visual effects and generally kicked ass.
Overall story: The themes of transhumanism, choice, conspiracy, technological advancement and morality are all fascinating ones.

Totally agree, the overall feel and atmosphere visually and musically was beautiful.

The game never brought everything together.

Deus Ex will not and should not ever be like CoD, MW3 etc. That's not what Deus Ex is about.

Actually you can, if you're good enough. I did a fair bit of blasting on the hardest difficult level.

A few?!?. One bullet can kill a normal person, a few bullets will make damn sure. But there is easy and medium difficulty for players like you. Besides the cover system is more than ample.

If there was no health regen, sure. But on top of health regen even more health packs?!?, hell no. Total overkill and would make the game far too easy.

The characters were never properly developed. Forcing someone to spend hours reading hacking computers (for the cheesy xp) and tiny portions of story is POOR DESIGN. You should SHOW us what's going on behind the scenes. I still don't know why I should care about any of the major characters. Their motivations and personalities all seem paper thin. Doctor Reed turns out to be a *****, why should I even care? Did I even love her? For how long did we even date? What went wrong with the relationship? Is it something I did wrong that I wish I could have apologised for before she died? These kinds of questions should all be answered in the core gameplay. Same goes with all of the main characters. Why did that triad chick rock up at incredibly important times in the game? Who even was she and why should I care?

Slightly confused by this, did you actually listen to any of the dialogue or read any of the eBooks or emails in the game, thats called character development. Deus Ex games are about discovering things, you know like the old classic games from the 8-bit days. Not shoving it all in our faces like we're 8 years old. It's to make things feel more real by making YOU discover details. What you're suggesting is making Deus Ex a worse game imho.

The implementation of the augs and recharge was terrible. There was not point in upgrading the cell number because they didn't recharge. As such it meant that the augs which required significant energy also required jarring stops in the gameplay. Hiding while stuff recharges over and over again is not fun. It's boring. It ruins combat entirely. When you have to recharge 5 times per room and just spam the same ability (takedown) you got yourself a flawed energy system. It completely ruined the augs for me.

Tons of energy bars littered in the game to pickup and use, you don't have to wait for stuff to recharge all the time.

Hacking itself was completely retarded. The mini game was pretty much just luck and again, BORING repetition. The xp and other rewards were completely over powered, meaning that once again the CHOICE was made by poor game design. Either do the crappy mini game over and over again to read pointless email or seriously ruin your character.

I enjoyed the little hacking games and building up lots of XP to get as many augs as possible. I would even hack those alarm hand wall units to gain even more XP points.

The truth of this game is that it could've been so much more. It has all the groundwork of a true masterpiece, but ultimately a few poorly designed elements ...

Now this part is the one part I completely agree with. Just not any of the reasons you've given, at all.

Things I would have liked different are:

1) The A.I. whilst definitely an improvement over DX1, coulda been advanced a bit further still, guards in pairs noticing ones gone missing from silent take down, searching further distance on disturbances etc etc.

2) The alternate paths were a bit too short. One of the things I really loved about the incredible map designs of DX1 was that there were far more alternate routes that were very distinct, lenghty and seperate from other routes. In DX HR it felt a lot more minature vent crawling paths.

3) A few more varied locations. DX1 was truly huge in this respect. DX HR felt more focused on Hengsha's map design, prob largely due to the Hong Kong in the original being such a strong influence and ending up spending a lot of the available development time on this area.

4) I didn't like the over the top orange highlighting at all. But I cant really complain as there was the option to turn it off so it was more subtle highlighting close up on objects. DX1 highlighting was pretty much bang on, letting you know somethings usable but without seperating the object graphics wise from the world.

5) The Ending. This was the biggest dissapointment for me. Such a shame, it was really building up to something truly epic. When you first land @ Panchea and see how vast it all is getting very excited building it up. But then it just turned into a zombie-corridor fest and a pretty damn weak final boss. On top of that it didn't have true alternate endings, just a room with 3 buttons, a slightly corridor and another button. Area 51 and the choices of DX1 was a masterpiece. You really felt those sub-layers of Area51 going deeper and deeper, big badass robots, having to fight Bob Page deal with all those auto generating robots, or shutting down the reactor or joining with the AI. Man I loved the ending of DX1. Eidos really should have put a lot more thought into Panchea.

Despite saying all of that I still thoroughly enjoy DX HR and if DX1 had never been made I wouldn't of complained about those points half as much. By todays standards of games only its right up there at the top.

I just hope that one day we will have a game that truly matches (or betters) the map design, story, alternate paths and amazing ending choice DX1 gave us, but with todays current graphics. I'd dearly love to see that.