PDA

View Full Version : Excessive hacking. Game breaker ?

Goodfeller
16th Dec 2011, 12:44
Quick question. I've just finished the first few missions and now I'm in Detroit city. I've set about hacking everything in sight: doors, gates, computers, apartments, you name it. I'm getting a lot of pleasure from finding new things to hack, whether they're related to any ongoing plots or not. Gawd, you should see me drool. This hacking thing is sweeter to me than combat.

Anyways this isn't likely to break any of the plots I haven't started yet, is it ?

Ashpolt
16th Dec 2011, 13:01
Quick question. I've just finished the first few missions and now I'm in Detroit city. I've set about hacking everything in sight: doors, gates, computers, apartments, you name it. I'm getting a lot of pleasure from finding new things to hack, whether they're related to any ongoing plots or not. Gawd, you should see me drool. This hacking thing is sweeter to me than combat.

Anyways this isn't likely to break any of the plots I haven't started yet, is it ?

No, if you've already hacked into something plot-relevant, the plot will simply adapt to take that into account: for instance, if you're asked to hack into someone's computer, but you've already done so, then when you're asked to do the mission Adam will simply say "Yeah, I already did that."

Hack away, boy, hack away!

Sotsiak91
16th Dec 2011, 16:07
Btw something I noticed on my first playthrough, excessive hacking may not be a game breaker. But no hacking is. I didn't want to upgrade my hacking augmentations and I found out there are side missions I couldn't finish, that was a bit game breaking for me because I was forced to upgrade them.

zenstar
16th Dec 2011, 21:44
Btw something I noticed on my first playthrough, excessive hacking may not be a game breaker. But no hacking is. I didn't want to upgrade my hacking augmentations and I found out there are side missions I couldn't finish, that was a bit game breaking for me because I was forced to upgrade them.

There is always another way. You don't need hacking > 1 to do anything iirc. Sometimes doing it another way is far far far more difficult though.

Olgerth Heidern
16th Dec 2011, 21:52
Hacking pays for itself several times over in XP, credits and viruses. And it doesn't break the game. It is one of the tastiest aspects of DXHR. Hack away, my friend.

McFlabbergasty
16th Dec 2011, 22:35
I do not believe hacking is a game breaker in the slightest. If anything, I wish it were a little more complex.

Make us feel like we just solved a 2x2 Rubik's Cube for level 1 and 2 terminals, a 3x3 Cube for 3 and 4 terminals, and a 4x4 for level 5 terminals, to put it in analogy form...

imported_BoB_
17th Dec 2011, 00:14
There is always another way. You don't need hacking > 1 to do anything iirc. Sometimes doing it another way is far far far more difficult though.

No there isn't. You can do the entire main quest without hacking > 1, but you can't finish one side mission which is the police station one. There is the password available on the internet but you can't find it in the game, and you can't guess the password either because there is no reference related to it (not like most of the police station computers)
There is also the Malik side quest that you can't finish properly beside guessing a four digits number (otherwise, you kill the dude, but you don't get the praxis kit)

xaduha
17th Dec 2011, 00:39
I do not believe hacking is a game breaker in the slightest. If anything, I wish it were a little more complex.

Make us feel like we just solved a 2x2 Rubik's Cube for level 1 and 2 terminals, a 3x3 Cube for 3 and 4 terminals, and a 4x4 for level 5 terminals, to put it in analogy form...

If you want to play casual puzzle games you can do it elsewhere, mini-games = waste of time, if you ask me.
I don't usually use cheats, but I used ArtMoney recently in ME2 and DX:HR (second playthrough), to skip resource harvesting and hacking minigames.

Goodfeller
17th Dec 2011, 10:18
Thanks guys. I'm all upgraded to level 4. Next praxis point and it's level 5 for me. Boy, this game is good.

brangdon
22nd Dec 2011, 17:55
There is always another way. You don't need hacking > 1 to do anything iirc. Sometimes doing it another way is far far far more difficult though.There are several side-quests that need hacking above level 1. Bar Tab is one, helping Malik's friend is another.

That said, hacking can be a praxis sink. If you avoid that and use the points elsewhere, it can be rewarding. When you play without hacking you have to pay more attention to passwords, search more diligently etc. Getting the Factory Zero trophy for The Missing Link requires this style of play. (It's a shame there isn't a Factory Zero for the main game; I suspect it'd be hard to beat the bosses though. Maybe they'd be excluded, as they are for Passivist.)

Shralla
22nd Dec 2011, 20:07
Hacking pays for itself several times over in XP, credits and viruses. And it doesn't break the game.

Completely disagree. Excessive hacking gives you enough XP to max out your augmentations, which you shouldn't be able to do.