PDA

View Full Version : 2011 DX:HR Forum Game Awards...

itsonyourhead
9th Dec 2011, 04:09
Categories:
Game of the Year:
- DX:HR
- The Witcher 2
- Gemini Rue
Studio of the Year:
- Eidos Montreal
- CD Projeckt Red
- Sega
- Blizzard
Best Writing:
- The Witcher 2
- Gemini Rue
Best Game Design:
- Terraria
- Rayman Origins
Best Technology:
- Battlefield 3
- The Witcher 2
Best Visual Arts:
- Rayman Origins
Best Debut Game (First game from new studio):
- Frozen Synapse
- Gemini Rue
Innovation Award:
- Minecraft
- Skyward Sword
Best Audio:
- Battlefield 3
- Alice: Madness Returns
- Forza 4
Best RPG:
- The Witcher 2
Best Shooter:
- Serious Sam 3: BFE
Best Action:
- Bulletstorm
- Portal 2
- Sonic Generations
Best RTS:
- Total War: Shogun 2
Best Racing:
- inMomentum
- Sonic Generations
- Forza 4
Best Independent:
- Trine 2
- Frozen Synapse
- Bastion
Best Original Score:
- Bastion
- Crysis 2

Now receiving nomination's (will update this post).
Nominations will close Dec 16.
Voting begins Dec 17.
Voting ends Dec 23.
Awards "ceremony" on Dec 24.

Romeo
9th Dec 2011, 05:08
No racing or RTS catagories? Wow, bias! lol

ZakKa89
9th Dec 2011, 07:40
Game of the Year: DEHR
Studio of the Year: Eidos montreal
Best Writing: DEHR
Best Game Design: DEHR
Best Technology: Battlefield 3
Best Visual Arts: DEHR
Best Debut Game: do you mean new ip or best game from a new studio?
Innovation Award: let me think
Best Audio: Battlefield 3
Best RPG: DEHR
Best Shooter: DEHR
Best Action: Bulletstorm
Best RTS: what rts?
Best Racing:
Best Independent: Trine 2 probably
Best Original Score: DEHR (Bastion is cool too)

68_pie
9th Dec 2011, 15:37
Categories:
Game of the Year: The Witcher 2
Studio of the Year: CD Projeckt Red
Best Writing: The Witcher 2
Best Game Design: Terraria
Best Technology: The Witcher 2
Best Visual Arts: DXHR
Best Debut Game: Frozen Synapse
Innovation Award: Minecraft
Best Audio: Alice: Madness Returns
Best RPG: The Witcher 2
Best Shooter: Serious Sam 3: BFE
Best Action: Portal 2
Best Strategy: Total War: Shogun 2
Best Racing: inMomentum
Best Independent: Frozen Synapse
Best Original Score: DXHR

sonicsidewinder
9th Dec 2011, 16:09
Game of the Year: Gemini Rue
Studio of the Year: Sega
Best Writing: Gemini Rue
Best Game Design: Rayman Origins
Best Technology: Witcher 2
Best Visual Arts: Rayman Origins
Best Debut Game: Gemini Rue
Innovation Award: Skyward Sword
Best Audio: DX:HR
Best RPG: Witcher 2
Best Shooter: (Only one I've played this year was Crysis 2, but that aint worthy of the award.)
Best Action: Sonic Generations
Best RTS: Shogun 2
Best Racing: Sonic Generations - (I'd call it a racing platformer)
Best Independent: Gemini Rue
Best Original Score: DX:HR

TrickyVein
9th Dec 2011, 16:10
Zakka, RTS is "Real time strategy." I don't play those kinds of games either.

I don't feel like I have an honest enough opinion to be able to fill in any of these categories. I just haven't played that many games this year, not a significant number them that were released in 2011.

Bulletstorm should be nominated for something. It was more than a cheap action shooter, it was self-consciously stupid and mocked the majority of other cheap action shooters and sci-fi games that are out there.

Reven
9th Dec 2011, 16:56
You forgot the open world/sandbox catagorie.

itsonyourhead
9th Dec 2011, 17:50
Just want to remind everyone that we are doing nominations. You'll make my job easier if you don't repeat anything that's already been nominated.

Romeo
9th Dec 2011, 20:42
Studio of the Year: Blizzard

Best Audio: Forza 4

Best Racing: Forza 4

Best Independent: Bastion

Best Original Score: Crysis 2 (I know it's a simple soundtrack, I still like it)

sonicsidewinder
10th Dec 2011, 04:38
Best Original Score: Crysis 2 (I know it's a simple soundtrack, I still like it)

To be fair, Crysis 2's soundtrack was very good. Still stuck in my head.

Doesn't excuse a terrible disapointment though...

Romeo
10th Dec 2011, 05:11
Was pretty good compared to other shooters, just disappointing compared to the original. Too simplified.

ZakKa89
10th Dec 2011, 13:17
Zakka, RTS is "Real time strategy." I don't play those kinds of games either.

I don't feel like I have an honest enough opinion to be able to fill in any of these categories. I just haven't played that many games this year, not a significant number them that were released in 2011.

Bulletstorm should be nominated for something. It was more than a cheap action shooter, it was self-consciously stupid and mocked the majority of other cheap action shooters and sci-fi games that are out there.

I know what RTS means haha... I'm an AVID rts player :) Its just that I couldn't remember a single rts released this year. edit: now I remember, shogun 2 obviously.

kelticfury
10th Dec 2011, 17:56
calling dxhr an rpg is a bit of a stretch

Tverdyj
10th Dec 2011, 21:07
best studio: Valve, for Portal 2. And the Steam Summer sale.

Romeo
11th Dec 2011, 09:23
Not at all. You upgrade your character while choosing their actions throughout the story. Pretty damn good example of an RPG.

kelticfury
11th Dec 2011, 13:30
Not at all. You upgrade your character while choosing their actions throughout the story. Pretty damn good example of an RPG.

Yeah I was thinking about that and it does have more RPG elements than shooter elements, I think I'd still call it a hybrid though. I'd say the same about the mass effect franchise as well.

itsonyourhead
11th Dec 2011, 17:06

Calling Skyrim an RPG is a bit of a stretch. It's more of an open world action adventure game (closer to GTA than anything else), maybe an RPG-lite.

But yes, DX:HR was VERY light on the RPG elements. But then again, the original Deus Ex was light too, however, not quite so light as DX:HR.

There is this terrible trend in the industry lately. Non-RPG games are gaining character advancement and RPG-lite elements while established RPG franchises are losing RPG elements and moving towards non-RPG gaming mechanics.

In the end, video game categorization will have no meaning, as every game released will be exactly the same.

sonicsidewinder
11th Dec 2011, 21:42
In the end, video game categorization will have no meaning, as every game released will be exactly the same.

The singularity approaches...

Zoet
11th Dec 2011, 22:12
I read a blog article (http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/games/blogs/screenplay/split-screen-the-futility-of-genres-20111207-1ohm1.html) the other day about game categories, where DX:HR was the topic of discussion, and how it was a difficult game to categorize. It basically concluded that genres are fluid.
If you take RPG as meaning literally a Role Playing Game, where you are encouraged to take on the role of your character, then DX:HR has to be one because I was definitely doing that, moreso than with most other games. In fact, most of its 'class' restrictions - lethal/nonlethal/stealthy/cowboy-style etc. - come more from this 'roleplaying' aspect, rather than from statistics based mechanical restrictions. Yes, stun-gun wielding sneaky Jensen can pick up a heavy rifle if he wants to (unlike say, a mage's inability to suddenly to switch to a broadsword in a generic fantasy RPG), but if he doesn't, it is because of the player's role-playing of the character, which is to me an equally meaningful restriction.
If your perception of an 'RPG' is more focused on character statistics and their management, then yes, DX:HR is comparatively light on that kind of stuff, but it is still there, although packaged in the Augmentations in a form that kind of disguises it.

If the fate of all 'genres' in games is to blend, then perhaps in the future, game of the year awards will have to focus on other aspects of genre: sci-fi, fantasy, drama, horror, action, comedy, kids and family. But then we still will run into problems: Is DX:HR sci-fi, action or drama? My local video store has copies of Bladerunner in all three...:nut:

I haven't played enough new games this year to make an informed call of GOTY, and but can I make a nomination for Portal 2 in: Game of the Year, Best Writing, and Best Game Design? Portal 2 was probably my second favorite game this year, and it had the best ending of just about anything.
And also, surprisingly, Skyrim doesn't seem to have been nominated for anything yet. It isn't my personal favorite but it should at least be nominated for Game of the Year, and Best RPG.