PDA

View Full Version : Is this game still worth it?

jayland
2nd Dec 2011, 04:49
So I missed the Steam sales, but saw it on sale at amazon for $19.00. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HRZ29K/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=epreneurs-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B005HRZ29K

Is is still worth it?
Did the recent patches resolve the bugs etc?
Is the game still being supported?
Have they fixed the looping sound bug?

Jerion
2nd Dec 2011, 04:58
There are still some idiosyncratic issues that seem to affect certain system configurations, but a lot of bugs have been knocked out by the existing patches. I'm not to clear on the present status of Eidos Montréal QA. We will do what we can to help make sure any problems you do encounter can be dealt with.

Is it worth it now? Absolutely. Why wouldn't it be worth it? It's a single player game, and not even one more than a few months old at that. It's not like it's going to suddenly get worse just because it's a little weathered! Personally the only issue I encounter is occasional framerate stutter on DirectX 9 mode. In DirectX 11 it's been flawless on my machine.

Romeo
2nd Dec 2011, 06:07
Aye, never had any stuttering problems either, and frankly, I think it was the best shooter to come out this year.

itsonyourhead
2nd Dec 2011, 06:30
Aye, never had any stuttering problems either, and frankly, I think it was the best shooter to come out this year.

I think it was the best game to come out this year. Yes, it's barely a shadow of the glory of Deus Ex, still a great game, and 20$ is a steal.

jayland
2nd Dec 2011, 06:35
Ok - thanks guys. I'm gonna bite on the amazon deal then!

ZakKa89
2nd Dec 2011, 10:12
have fun

bat_brain
6th Dec 2011, 04:17
offtopicish: yknow? i cant really say that the OG is that much gr8er than this one is. i think they're both good, in their own special ways.

one thing that does erk me is the fact that its supposed to take place before the first one, but if you compare the dialouge/graphics from the 1st one to HR, supposing you didnt know anything about the franchise, you'd swear that HR takes place after the 1st.

kinda like the whole starwars retroactive story. you compare the techniques used to shoot the first three films compared to the last 3, again, if you knew nothing of about the history (yeah right) or the plots themselves (like a first impression basis) you'd guess the first three took place before and not after, chronologically speaking.

the technology used to make the games betrays the validity of the story in terms of how it unfolds, in other words. that is just my opinion though.

i guess it just would have made more sense if the engines for the first deus ex and this one were swapped out, considering one deals with nanotechnology and the other neanderthalish cybernetics. if that makes any sense.

on topicish: yes get it.

DXeXodus
6th Dec 2011, 11:05
Ok - thanks guys. I'm gonna bite on the amazon deal then!

You wont be sorry. It is a great game and well worth your time :)

RedDan
11th Dec 2011, 19:42
So I missed the Steam sales, but saw it on sale at amazon for $19.00. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HRZ29K/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=epreneurs-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B005HRZ29K

Is is still worth it?
Did the recent patches resolve the bugs etc?
Is the game still being supported?
Have they fixed the looping sound bug?

Ofcourse it is! I bought it nordic version on day 1, and next week im getting the collectors edition! Its one of the best games ever IMO!

Cheers!

Shralla
11th Dec 2011, 22:14
There haven't really been a whole lot of patches, huh? So I guess that means the sound-sync bug with the assault rifle isn't fixed yet.

Senka
12th Dec 2011, 05:19
I think it was the best game to come out this year. Yes, it's barely a shadow of the glory of Deus Ex, still a great game, and 20$ is a steal.

I'm torn between HR and TW2 in that regard. I feel that overall TW2 is the better game, but HR is more important because it's taking the industry back in the direction it should be going - more options for the player, less linearity in the way you complete tasks. Oblivion (And skyrim by extension because they're so similar) are huge open worlds, yet they give the choice in when to complete an objective and how you arrive there (Unlike in deus ex where the hubs you visit are ordered), whereas dx gives you the options in how to complete objectives, which is much more important and interesting for the player.

But you all know this of course, I just need to say it now and then to keep myself sane.

itsonyourhead
12th Dec 2011, 05:36
I'm torn between HR and TW2 in that regard. I feel that overall TW2 is the better game, but HR is more important because it's taking the industry back in the direction it should be going - more options for the player, less linearity in the way you complete tasks. Oblivion (And skyrim by extension because they're so similar) are huge open worlds, yet they give the choice in when to complete an objective and how you arrive there (Unlike in deus ex where the hubs you visit are ordered), whereas dx gives you the options in how to complete objectives, which is much more important and interesting for the player.

But you all know this of course, I just need to say it now and then to keep myself sane.

The Witcher 2 is a great game, and CD Projekt Red's support for it has been fantastic. Had it been released for the consoles we would have seen quite a few awards for it this year.

In many odd ways TW2 and DX:HR are actually quite similar games. Ironically, whereas DX:HR hand holds far too much in the beginning, TW2 throws the player in the deep end right away. Speaking from the point of view of replay, TW2 style is far better. TW2 has greater world reactivity, yet DX:HR presents a more engaging believable world. TW2's graphical technology far surpasses DX:HR, yet DX:HR boasts the more significant aesthetic. TW2 has better character progression, yet both TW2 and DX:HR's character progression are lacking.

cavemanweb
12th Dec 2011, 12:06
Yeah, I also think that is the best shooter of this year, perhaps what has happened is that this year he has more competitors (not so good titles). But for me, games like Rage are not as good as Deus Ex is HR.

Romeo
13th Dec 2011, 00:25
Yeah, I also think that is the best shooter of this year, perhaps what has happened is that this year he has more competitors (not so good titles). But for me, games like Rage are not as good as Deus Ex is HR.
Aye, Rage wasn't quite what I had wanted, although it was certainly a cool game. For me, it came down between Crysis 2, Battlefield 3 and Deus Ex. Battlefield 3 disappointed me in too many ways, so it really came down to Crysis 2 and Deus Ex, but in the end, I enjoyed Deus Ex a bit more. =)

chabbles
13th Dec 2011, 01:05
one of the best games this gen, you owe it to yourself to play the **** out of it.. its one of those games that will stay in memory for ever,