PDA

View Full Version : level with nothing in it?

Harill
26th Nov 2011, 15:05
Before you meet the first boss of the game you must travel through a warehouse with a contol room at one end. Is it me or is this place vacant?

binaryboy
26th Nov 2011, 17:56
Yeah, it's probably designed to build tension. I crept through the whole thing expecting something to happen, which is probably what the designers intended.

Romeo
26th Nov 2011, 18:34
Yeah, it's probably designed to build tension. I crept through the whole thing expecting something to happen, which is probably what the designers intended.
Great minds think alike. I was like "I am SOOO going to get jumped here..." :D

Harill
26th Nov 2011, 18:41
I went through thinking "it's quiet, tooo quiet" (draws pistol).

jeyeichkey
26th Nov 2011, 18:56
I was kind of thinking that a boxguard would just automatically startup behind my back when I passed the hall.. but no. A little disappointing. Oh well.

Romeo
26th Nov 2011, 19:09
I went through thinking "it's quiet, tooo quiet" (draws pistol).
I'm starting to think that whole part was just a psychological joke. One we ALL fell for. lol

I was kind of thinking that a boxguard would just automatically startup behind my back when I passed the hall.. but no. A little disappointing. Oh well.
See, I wasn't disappointed at all. I liked the fact the game didn't do what I expected. I wish that happened more often in games.

Platinumoxicity
26th Nov 2011, 19:20
Before you meet the first boss of the game you must travel through a warehouse with a contol room at one end. Is it me or is this place vacant?

One of the problems I have with games today is that every place needs to have a purpose. When a player finds a fully modeled and decorated room, he automatically assumes that something in that room is relevant to the gameplay. It makes the game world feel less real, as if it all revolves around the player. There should be more areas in games that have no purpose for the player whatsoever. If there's a room that's full of circuit breaker cabinets and air conditioning systems, the room's purpose is not "to let the player get into a ventshaft or turn off the electricity". The room's purpose is "Maintenance". Like it says on the door.

jeyeichkey
26th Nov 2011, 19:40
@Romeo
Yeah, you're right. But that was my first thought anyway. I should just have been pleased by the sudden surprice of nothingness when one really expected something to happen.
But the disappointment was more the issue of wanting a boxguard to appear because they are totally awesome :^)
(I was so pleased when there were boxguards running about in Missing Link. I just never turned them off because I liked them stomping about.)

Spyhopping
26th Nov 2011, 19:48
The absence of music can be a really good tool in games, certainly in a tension building situation like the one described here.

Romeo
26th Nov 2011, 21:14
@Romeo
Yeah, you're right. But that was my first thought anyway. I should just have been pleased by the sudden surprice of nothingness when one really expected something to happen.
But the disappointment was more the issue of wanting a boxguard to appear because they are totally awesome :^)
(I was so pleased when there were boxguards running about in Missing Link. I just never turned them off because I liked them stomping about.)
Agreed on both counts. :D

The absence of music can be a really good tool in games, certainly in a tension building situation like the one described here.
I know they're both horror games, but Silent Hill 2 and F.E.A.R. were both really good at that: Any time the music cut out (Or in Silent Hill's case, when the radio would start going static), you started getting really cautious, and really deliberate. Human Revolution was the first time in a while I've seen it applied so well to a non-horror.