PDA

View Full Version : What was the last original AAA title that you played?

itsonyourhead
21st Nov 2011, 04:29
I was just wondering what the last original AAA title that you played was.

I was sitting in front of my computer, reveling in having finished Skyrim's main quest, and feeling a little burnt out (I played over 20 hours this weekend), when I started thinking about Morrowind and Oblivion. Then I thought about DX:HR. Then I thought about Battlefield 3, Batman: Arkham City, Mass Effect 3, The Witcher 2, Hitman: Absolution... and suddenly I felt the uncontrollable urge to play something original and unique. Something I've never seen before. So I'm wondering what the last original title you guys played was?

I guess there is Dishonored next year. That's definitely in my scope.

Romeo
21st Nov 2011, 04:54
I'm sure people are going to freak the hell out on me for saying it, but the last great game I played where I found everything awe-inspiring was Mass Effect. Beyond that, I thoroughly enjoyed Crysis 2 and Human Revolution recently, and although it's silly and dumb, Saints Row 2 and 3 are really fun to sit down with for mindless fun.

SageSavage
21st Nov 2011, 11:41
LA Noire was kinda original, unfortunately, I didn't enjoy it very much.
Portal was kinda original,
Arkham Asylum felt fresh at its time,
Bioshock felt original at its time (at least the setting was fresh).

Of course none of them is actually original.

Ashpolt
21st Nov 2011, 12:03
It depends what you mean by "original". If you mean "something which has never been done before, or even had anything comparable" then...I can't really think of anything at all recently. We'd probably have to go back to the PS1 days to find something, really, if not further.

If you're willing to simply classify it as "not a sequel, has a good number of new ideas" then for me it would probably either be Demon's Souls or Borderlands, depending on which was more recent, I forget. (Also depending on whether or not you count DS as triple-A - I would.) Arkham Asylum would definitely be up there as well, as fox mentioned. Can't really think of anything this year though. Thank god for indies!

imported_BoB_
21st Nov 2011, 17:51
An AAA title can't be that original to begin with imo. The last game that I enjoyed very much and that is kind of a AAA-game (not really, a little bit like Demon's Souls), it's Okami for me.

(Before Human Revolution obviously)

And there is also Assassin's Creed II, which is still the best of the franchise by a mile.

Romeo
21st Nov 2011, 18:08
It depends what you mean by "original". If you mean "something which has never been done before, or even had anything comparable" then...I can't really think of anything at all recently. We'd probably have to go back to the PS1 days to find something, really, if not further.

If you're willing to simply classify it as "not a sequel, has a good number of new ideas" then for me it would probably either be Demon's Souls or Borderlands, depending on which was more recent, I forget. (Also depending on whether or not you count DS as triple-A - I would.) Arkham Asylum would definitely be up there as well, as fox mentioned. Can't really think of anything this year though. Thank god for indies!
Oh yes, Demon Souls was awesome! I liked the fact that they didn't simplify down anything in the game, it felt like the RPGs of old. Which, ironically, made it more original than almost any modern RPG.

An AAA title can't be that original to begin with imo. The last game that I enjoyed very much and that is kind of a AAA-game (not really, a little bit like Demon's Souls), it's Okami for me.

(Before Human Revolution obviously)

And there is also Assassin's Creed II, which is still the best of the franchise by a mile.
I know Assassin's Creed II vastly improved over the first, but I just didn't enjoy it. I felt like I was constantly running around an empty area.

Shralla
21st Nov 2011, 20:30
Arkham Asylum, and I think Red Dead Redemption should count because it's totally different than Red Dead Revolver.

Xcom
22nd Nov 2011, 00:18
Heavy Rain.

itsonyourhead
22nd Nov 2011, 01:18
Red Dead Redemption (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_(video_game))
Heavy Rain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit_(video_game))

I still haven't tried Demon Souls or whatever it's called. I think that's next on my list of games to try out.

EricaLeeV
22nd Nov 2011, 01:49
Little Big Planet, Dead Space, LA Noire, and Uncharted...Oh El Shaddai...that is seriously the last new one I played. I don't know if it qualifies for AAA though; I guess by Japanese standards it does.

Tverdyj
22nd Nov 2011, 04:56
hmm, I guess it'd be Arkahm Asylum. Thought since I don't think either DX or IW were really AAA plus, DXHR may count?

aside from that, I recently went back to my first playthrough of Dragon Age: Origins that I started sometime in the spring, but then put down for whatever reason and never got back to... till now.

MrFob
22nd Nov 2011, 05:32
I certainly played a couple of AAA titles, which I found original (at least in parts), especially in the last year. That may have to do with the fact that I bought a couple of older games from steam sales and played them for the first time.
- That way, I came across the Assassins Creed series which I had somehow ignored before (don't really know why) and I find all parts (played 1,2 and BH on the PC so far) very enjoyable and at least the first two had a very new and interesting concept in terms of environmental interactivity and story telling.
- I also just got to play Mirrors Edge last January and I love the game (though short it might be)
- The story telling approach of the Witcher 2 certainly introduced a twist into the story telling (dividing the plot like it did) which have never seen before in video games and didn't expect at all.
- While DX:HR is probably not that original in it's mechanics and all (it is suposed to feel like the first Deus Ex after all), I find it's style and the way it introduces todays social aspects into the game sci-fi story amazing and very refreshing. Besides the conversation system with optional help through implants was certainly a new and fresh idea.

Also, I'd like to say that I couldn't agree more with Romeos first post in this thread. When I first played Mass Effect (right after it was released for PC in 2008), it absolutely amazed me with it's shiny, beautiful and rich sci-fi world on he one hand and the RPG-shooter hybrid gameplay on the other. Probably my favorite game till this day.

Romeo
22nd Nov 2011, 06:40
hmm, I guess it'd be Arkahm Asylum. Thought since I don't think either DX or IW were really AAA plus, DXHR may count?

aside from that, I recently went back to my first playthrough of Dragon Age: Origins that I started sometime in the spring, but then put down for whatever reason and never got back to... till now.
Oh right! Dragon Age was awesome!

Jason Parker
22nd Nov 2011, 08:10
If by original you mean something completely new then Portal/Portal 2 is about the only title I can name alongside some fun indy stuff (which obviously is not AAA) as "AAAAAhhhh! A reckless disregard for Gravity", "Frozen Synapse", "Magicka", "World of Goo" and of course "Minecraft".

I guess that's just it: If you want inspired all new gameplay concepts you're kinda forced to keep an eye on what all those independant devs are doing out there. From the people that do AAA you only can expect copies of copies (or sequels of sequels) with updated graphics and eventually they here and there adopt some of the concepts from the indy scene that proved succesful.Which is kinda understanable as they can't risk that much. They have to be succesful and thus have to develop by formula. And as long as that way of making games works they will keep on doing it.

imported_BoB_
22nd Nov 2011, 08:22
I guess that's just it: If you want inspired all new gameplay concepts you're kinda forced to keep an eye on what all those independant devs are doing out there. From the people that do AAA you only can expect copies of copies (or sequels of sequels) with updated graphics and eventually they here and there adopt some of the concepts from the indy scene that proved succesful.Which is kinda understanable as they can't risk that much. They have to be succesful and thus have to develop by formula. And as long as that way of making games works they will keep on doing it.

Exactly.
Actually for Portal, they just hired the indie team that had the original idea for allowing them to make a semi-complete game with a real budget, without thinking that Portal was gonna Orange Box' gem.

And I forgot Mirror's Edge too earlier.

Pinky_Powers
22nd Nov 2011, 09:57
Portal was the first game that came to mind. Then... maybe Arkham Asylum. Bioshock took a lot from System Shock 2, but it still ended up being a delightfully unique experience. Mass Effect. I also agree on Dead Space.

It's no surprise to me that all of those I mentioned have sequels now; they were superb achievements... every one.

USER47
23rd Nov 2011, 17:40
Does Divinity II counts as AAA?:)

Other than that, I know a lot of people will disagree, but Modern Warfare series is quite original too. Sounds crazy, I know, but there really isn't anything on the market, that would do the same thing so well.

Fireplay
23rd Nov 2011, 18:15
So I'm wondering what the last original title you guys played was?

Halo:Combat Evolved...:D

Romeo
23rd Nov 2011, 19:11
Halo:Combat Evolved...:D
Was a fantastic game. Wasted quite a few nights playing splitscreen with my best friend when we were younger.

While certainly not a new game, I just discovered Command and Conquer: Generals, so I've been mixing that in with my Starcraft II playthroughs. Definitely a great RTS, I can see why fans keep asking for a sequel to it.

Spyhopping
23rd Nov 2011, 22:37
Apart from HR, LA Noire and Fable 3 (does that count as an AAA game?). Had a sprint about on Mirror's Edge recently too, that's an exhilarating game. Gives a real kick when you get your moves right.

LA noire is certainly worth a play. Searching around for little clues is great fun. It sometimes feels like the game does most of the investigating for you, however. And it gets a little repetitive. The facial animation capture is remarkable, makes you feel that you are scrutinising a real person, and the acting is good, if a little OTT so you can fish out lies with more ease. But the three vague response choices to these complex initial conversations and tones of body language (truth, lie, doubt or whatever it was) always seemed mechanical and restricting. I loved the way the persuasive responses in HR were so varied, it made them feel organic. I have criticism for it because I can see wasted potential- it could have been outstanding, but it was still good fun.

Fable 3 is a straight forward fun romp. The environments gleam with colour and atmosphere, your weapons grow with you (in slightly odd, unexpected ways) and having a dog follow your every move isn't as annoying as you'd expect. It is also ridiculously easy, so don't expect a challenge. The story was surprisingly enjoyable, and the game climaxed for me when you visit a certain desert. That chapter of it was quite stressful and disturbing! If you'd like the RPG experience turned up a notch, go for the original Fable. Don't bother with Fable 2. It was fun, but felt unfinished and was riddled with bugs.

Romeo
23rd Nov 2011, 22:56
Aye, Fable 2 promised the world but delivered an island. Haven't played Fable 3, perhaps I will give it a go, you seem to have good taste.

Spyhopping
23rd Nov 2011, 23:15
Thank you. Do play it, it's really good fun. The story and characters are better crafted and warmer than in any other of the Fable games. The protagonist talks, too.

I will be honest about my taste though- I am looking forward to seeing the new Twilight film on Saturday. Even though I like it, I am fully aware of how bad it is, so I like to feel that helps me get away with it on some level!

singularity
29th Nov 2011, 06:57
Last games that made me stop and go "man... haven't seen that before" ?

Portal
Indigo Prophecy (or "Fahrenheit" for those across the pond)
Mirror's Edge
Mine Craft
Bioshock (simply for breaking the 4th wall and opening up a dialogue with the player about following orders mindlessly, not traveling outside of set boundaries and following rules... hard to look at a linear game the same way again, no matter how well it's put together.)

Games that took a lot of ideas from other games, but put them together so well that they felt refreshing?
Halo: Combat Evolved
Skyrim, Morrowind
Arkham Asylum/ City
Uncharted 1-3
Heavy Rain
LA Noir
Mass Effect 1 (and to a slightly lesser extent, 2)
STALKER
FEAR
The Witcher 1/2
Demon's Souls/ Dark Souls
DXHR

(obviously I lean towards RPGs, Shooters and adventure games. Take it with a grain of salt ;) )
What I really want to see is some innovation in the stealth and survival-horror genere. Amnesia may have been scary as hell, but it was really just Penumbra minus the clunky-ness, which was really just Clock Tower without the cheeseeness, which was really just Resident Evil without guns.

And stealth games have needed a shot in the arm ever since Splinter Cell Chaos Theory left us on a high note, Agent 47 went MIA, and Metal Gear Solid became an optional third-person-shooter.

Romeo
29th Nov 2011, 16:02
Thank you. Do play it, it's really good fun. The story and characters are better crafted and warmer than in any other of the Fable games. The protagonist talks, too.

I will be honest about my taste though- I am looking forward to seeing the new Twilight film on Saturday. Even though I like it, I am fully aware of how bad it is, so I like to feel that helps me get away with it on some level!
I do that with cars quite a bit. BMW 2002tii is horribly slow? Hell yeah I buy me one of those, just because I can. :D

Last games that made me stop and go "man... haven't seen that before" ?

Portal
Indigo Prophecy (or "Fahrenheit" for those across the pond)
Mirror's Edge
Mine Craft
Bioshock (simply for breaking the 4th wall and opening up a dialogue with the player about following orders mindlessly, not traveling outside of set boundaries and following rules... hard to look at a linear game the same way again, no matter how well it's put together.)

Games that took a lot of ideas from other games, but put them together so well that they felt refreshing?
Halo: Combat Evolved
Skyrim, Morrowind
Arkham Asylum/ City
Uncharted 1-3
Heavy Rain
LA Noir
Mass Effect 1 (and to a slightly lesser extent, 2)
STALKER
FEAR
The Witcher 1/2
Demon's Souls/ Dark Souls
DXHR

(obviously I lean towards RPGs, Shooters and adventure games. Take it with a grain of salt ;) )
What I really want to see is some innovation in the stealth and survival-horror genere. Amnesia may have been scary as hell, but it was really just Penumbra minus the clunky-ness, which was really just Clock Tower without the cheeseeness, which was really just Resident Evil without guns.

And stealth games have needed a shot in the arm ever since Splinter Cell Chaos Theory left us on a high note, Agent 47 went MIA, and Metal Gear Solid became an optional third-person-shooter.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion! Except Seattle folk... They don't get a vote.

Pinky_Powers
29th Nov 2011, 21:23
While certainly not a new game, I just discovered Command and Conquer: Generals, so I've been mixing that in with my Starcraft II playthroughs. Definitely a great RTS, I can see why fans keep asking for a sequel to it.

I played a ton of Generals back when I worked in an office with friends. US Air Force was my niche, all the way. :)

Romeo
30th Nov 2011, 00:12
I played a ton of Generals back when I worked in an office with friends. US Air Force was my niche, all the way. :)
They're good, as are the GPA Stealth and Toxin ones, and the Chinese Infantry and Tank generals. Yes, I realize I've just listed more than half the generals in the game. lol

popej
30th Nov 2011, 15:59
If you've got an Xbox 360 try Dark Souls. It's not a familiar experience if you're used to Western titles. Be warned though, it's freakin' rock hard, no hand holding what so ever, just pure trial and error.

Bloody brilliant though! It's my game of the year easily and I have the Witcher 2, Batman, Deus Ex HR & Skyrim and all the other usual suspects on PC. Ie, it's beaten off some apparently stiff competition.

Romeo
30th Nov 2011, 16:18
Indeed, I liked Dark Souls, but for a totally different reason: The game is still nice and complex. There's a plethora of stats to manage, giving increased weight to each weapon and armor decision.

Sirandar
30th Nov 2011, 23:53
Mass Effect 1 (certainly not 2)

Romeo
30th Nov 2011, 23:57
Mass Effect 1 (certainly not 2)
Good answer! You win the internets! :)

popej
1st Dec 2011, 12:53
To be honest, I find all Bioware RPG's a bit too, um, 'straightforward' I guess. It's symptomatic of comparing them to the BG & Fallout (1&2) series. I'd generally class them as competitors. The Swkotor games were probably Biowares pinnacle for me although Dragon Age (the first one) was pretty good. It introduced some interesting mechanics.

I enjoyed exploring in ME1 but it was still a bit shallow compared to the likes of the games I've mentioned above. Different tastes I guess.

Dark Souls just about trounces them all except perhaps Fo2 & BG 1 & 2. Amazing considering it's a console game, never thought I'd see the day!

Edit: Morrowind should be up there too. Almost forgot about it!

kelticfury
1st Dec 2011, 15:26
I don't know if it is considered a triple A game, but dead island was the last game I played that completey absorbed me for about 20 hrs.

Romeo
1st Dec 2011, 21:51
To be honest, I find all Bioware RPG's a bit too, um, 'straightforward' I guess. It's symptomatic of comparing them to the BG & Fallout (1&2) series. I'd generally class them as competitors. The Swkotor games were probably Biowares pinnacle for me although Dragon Age (the first one) was pretty good. It introduced some interesting mechanics.

I enjoyed exploring in ME1 but it was still a bit shallow compared to the likes of the games I've mentioned above. Different tastes I guess.

Dark Souls just about trounces them all except perhaps Fo2 & BG 1 & 2. Amazing considering it's a console game, never thought I'd see the day!

Edit: Morrowind should be up there too. Almost forgot about it!
See, I adored DA: O, but I felt it was more "by the numbers" than Mass Effect was, by a long shot. Personal taste, mind you, I certainly don't dislike it by any stretch of the imagination. KOTOR was an awesome series, I'm surprised EA hasn't greenlit one of them yet, everyone knows making KOTORIII would be akin to printing money.

Morrowind will still always be my favourite RPG, I suspect. I don't think any RPG will ever ellicit that constant feeling of awe, as I soaked in such a completely alien world.

I don't know if it is considered a triple A game, but dead island was the last game I played that completey absorbed me for about 20 hrs.
I still haven't played it, but apparently it is quite good... Might have to check it out in time.

Unstoppable
2nd Dec 2011, 17:44
Not sure if sequels are out of the question since those aren't original. Then I would have to say Dragon Age: Origins.

Romeo
2nd Dec 2011, 21:02
Not sure if sequels are out of the question since those aren't original. Then I would have to say Dragon Age: Origins.
Nah, if you liked a sequel, go for it.

ZakKa89
2nd Dec 2011, 21:33
Mirror's Edge, masterpiece

Original because it had innovative gameplay, felt fresh and had an amazing artistic direction. It felt AND looked unlike anything I played before. This game will still look beautiful after 10 years.

Also Marc Ecko's getting up. It had an original story and setting. The game is set in the future, where you had to spray graffiti all over the place and fight a corrupt government. Not that great but pretty original.

Chronicles of riddick escape from butcher bay. Original because of it's setting and goals (you have to break out of prison)

And POM, I know how you feel. Skyrim is amazing but I too have the strong urge to play something original gameplaywise.

itsonyourhead
2nd Dec 2011, 22:59
And POM, I know how you feel. Skyrim is amazing but I too have the strong urge to play something original gameplaywise.

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgc52j1kPc1qh0roxo1_500.gif

ZakKa89
4th Dec 2011, 04:05
WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR NAME :O

bat_brain
5th Dec 2011, 05:01
not sure what is inferred by "AAA" games, but i very much enjoyed arkham city, mass effect 2, dragon age (the first one) and of course, DX:HR. although, im far,far away from finishing it, theres alot to do, and i like it fine that way.

still wondering if my choice of augmentations is the right ones for me. so far, i invested mostly cranial ones, hacking and stealth to be specific.

i was saving/loading to experiment with several other augs, and i gotta say the icarus system does look to be fun. does it blow your cover when you use the shockwave drop to ko badguys? im guessing yes because it did seem kinda loud.

^ is this a good tactic to use to remain stealthy? i guess that what i'm asking?

honorable mention goes to fallout 3, oblivion, and of course the witcher.

very much looking forward to hitman absolution.

Romeo
5th Dec 2011, 15:50
not sure what is inferred by "AAA" games, but i very much enjoyed arkham city, mass effect 2, dragon age (the first one) and of course, DX:HR. although, im far,far away from finishing it, theres alot to do, and i like it fine that way.

still wondering if my choice of augmentations is the right ones for me. so far, i invested mostly cranial ones, hacking and stealth to be specific.

i was saving/loading to experiment with several other augs, and i gotta say the icarus system does look to be fun. does it blow your cover when you use the shockwave drop to ko badguys? im guessing yes because it did seem kinda loud.

^ is this a good tactic to use to remain stealthy? i guess that what i'm asking?

honorable mention goes to fallout 3, oblivion, and of course the witcher.

very much looking forward to hitman absolution.
Despite being fantastically bright, and loud, somehow the Icarus is extremely quiet to use. Typically the only way you'll blow your stealth is by using the "shockwave" landing (Stun) or by running immediately after landing (It resets you to standing even if you jumped from crouch).

Nyysjan
10th Dec 2011, 16:00
Original (as in, not a sequel) games i played (and finished) last:
Mass Effect 1
Dragon Age: Origins
Batman: Arkham Asylum

Each of these has had a sequel, wich i have bought, played, and been dissapointed by, by now, but only one of them i did not finish (Dragon Age 2).
Feels like all good (subject to personal taste) games i find (or wait to come out) these days are a sequels.

Romeo
11th Dec 2011, 09:49
Original (as in, not a sequel) games i played (and finished) last:
Mass Effect 1
Dragon Age: Origins
Batman: Arkham Asylum

Each of these has had a sequel, wich i have bought, played, and been dissapointed by, by now, but only one of them i did not finish (Dragon Age 2).
Feels like all good (subject to personal taste) games i find (or wait to come out) these days are a sequels.
Indeed, and games are far more guilty of that than film. However, I think it does make sense for both develloper and consumer. For the develloper, you have a chance to expand and improve upon your lore and gameplay, as well as test the waters before trying to over-achieve (Too Human being a prime example). For the consumer, you have the experience of the existing universe, relative gameplay (With some exceptions) and characters. You know if you didn't like Mass Effect's story, it's TPS/RPG mix and Shepard, then you wouldn't like Mass Effect 2.

The thing I hate about sequels though is that the overwhelming majority are headed down the "wrong" path in my books. Skyrim, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age 2, Crysis 2, Command and Conquer 4 and pretty much everything else in recent memory took the existing franchise - a unique, complex experience - and proceded to systematically "streamline" the game to hell. The end result is a sequel I end up enjoying less than the original. A decent example of what I prefer is Starcraft II, which took the complex gameplay, linear story and established universe, and gave us complex gameplay, open-ended story with RPG elements and further expanded the story. An even better example - and bare with me here - is Pokemon. Every generation, Pokemon grabs last year's formula, and figures out how to add more complexity, more stuff to do, more Pokemon, more... Stuff. There's just more and more game, every generation.

Now, back on topic, I know it doesn't appeal to most people, but I'm still thoroughly enamored with Forza 4. Although I suppose it technically isn't completely unique, being both a sequel and a racing sim (By definition, not a unique genre), but there's still enough details unique to Forza 4 (The painting system being a pristine example) to make it amazing and fresh. I love it.

68_pie
11th Dec 2011, 22:26
Alpha Protocol, which I replayed this weekend. I still think it's one of the best games of the last few years and it doesn't get the credit it deserves. TBH I think it does a lot of things that DXHR tried to do but does them better. I love the character interaction and the lashings of choice and consequence. It's the game I'll go back to if I fancy playing an action-RPG - I still have so many different things to try out in it.

Oh, and whilst I can't speak for the release version, this was an Obsidian game that I've played through without experiencing any bugs.

I think that people who liked DXHR will like this, especially those who want a TPP game.

Shralla
11th Dec 2011, 22:38

This post is now funny in retrospect.

Romeo
12th Dec 2011, 02:14
Alpha Protocol, which I replayed this weekend. I still think it's one of the best games of the last few years and it doesn't get the credit it deserves. TBH I think it does a lot of things that DXHR tried to do but does them better. I love the character interaction and the lashings of choice and consequence. It's the game I'll go back to if I fancy playing an action-RPG - I still have so many different things to try out in it.

Oh, and whilst I can't speak for the release version, this was an Obsidian game that I've played through without experiencing any bugs.

I think that people who liked DXHR will like this, especially those who want a TPP game.
I agree completely. I bought the game and was absolutely impressed by it. There were a couple bugs, but certainly not a buggy mess like commenters online kept claiming. I suspect many of them probably didn't even play it before condemning it.

This post is now funny in retrospect.
I KNOW! So stoked. Not only is a sequel coming, it's going to be the exact kind of sequel I like! And it's going to be a PC title, which means PC controls and interface! HUZZAH!

~Psychotic~
12th Dec 2011, 21:41
Hrm... the last original triple-A title... That's a toughie. There's so many sequels coming out these days, which is a shame really, because whilst a lot of them are good, they're just not nearly as creative as a new IP.

The first point is how you define what a triple-A title actually is. Is it based on the games popularity and sales, or who developed and published it? This is important, because I've been replaying a few games that are popular, but the developers weren't necessarily known at the time.

If you're basing it off popularity/sales or how good the game is in general then I'd be saying my last original title played was F.E.A.R, recently finished last week.

If you're basing it off who developed the game then that's gonna be a bit harder, cause I haven't played many original titles as of late (loads of sequels!). Would SimCity 2000 count? :P The worst part for me is that many of my "original" titles are some of the companies first games, the ones that made them known.

Mirror deja vu
23rd Dec 2011, 15:28
I remember the night I spent storming City 17 in Half-Life 2. That was....devastating uplifting, yes, Sirs, devastating uplifting. But the HL brand becomes obsolete, nobody here even mentioned it (I know the question was about the last AAA title but nevertheless.... Valve, stop making easy money!)

popej
28th Dec 2011, 14:09
I remember the night I spent storming City 17 in Half-Life 2. That was....devastating uplifting, yes, Sirs, devastating uplifting. But the HL brand becomes obsolete, nobody here even mentioned it (I know the question was about the last AAA title but nevertheless.... Valve, stop making easy money!)

The last triple AAA I played that was as good as it should have been was Half-life 2. It was also the very first game that game to mind.

Portal 2 makes a good argument I guess, but it wasn't as good as the first and it'd already been done.

Mass Effect was good but it was also made for consoles which 'compromised' it's integrity a bit. For me at least.

Dark Souls is brilliant but I'm not sure it's 'Triple AAA'?

Spyhopping
29th Dec 2011, 10:28
I managed to have a jaunt with Gran Turismo 5, Battlefield 3 and Uncharted 3 the last week or so with access to a PS3 (are there any games out there that aren't sequels?). Gotta say first of all, the 360 controller is beefy and ugly, but it seems a lot more accurate. Perhaps I'm just not used to them, but the sticks on a PS3 controller felt really unresponsive and... loose?

Battlefield was fantastic fun. I cockily put it on a high difficulty, so I KEPT DYING, and I didn't get to play it too much, but the point where you enter the jet really bought it for me. Going to pick it up soon.

Uncharted seemed fun too. Seemed like it would be nicely story driven, and the fight moves are quite satisfying. Didn't delve too deeply into that either, though.

Now, back on topic, I know it doesn't appeal to most people, but I'm still thoroughly enamored with Forza 4. Although I suppose it technically isn't completely unique, being both a sequel and a racing sim (By definition, not a unique genre), but there's still enough details unique to Forza 4 (The painting system being a pristine example) to make it amazing and fresh. I love it.

After spending the last week with Gran Turismo 5, my desire to play racing games has shot right up from a complete lack of interest. I used to love Gran Turismo on the PS when I was younger but I never got into racing games after that.

Owning a 360 I'm going to try Forza 4. If you've had the opportunity to play both, does it compare to GT5 in terms of tuning a custom car? It wasn't overly complex, but I loved earning money on tracks and then buying new components. Strangely it didn't seem that you could upgrade your brakes, but the rest was an allure to keep playing. The tracks were good fun to race competitively split-screen too.

popej
29th Dec 2011, 16:36
There's certainly quite a few upgrade options in Forza 4. It can do it all for you and upgrade your car to the best it can be while remaining in a specific HP class. Alternatively you can do it all yourself.

Spyhopping
30th Dec 2011, 15:01
Great! I lazily browsed the website and a few videos, but it didn't answer that question very well. I like the idea of upgrading it myself, but I probably won't know what I'm doing. I mean, I love the thought of racing in manual, but I never quite fancy it when I'm playing.

Just picked up Forza 3 to see what I think, it was only a fiver. The rewind function seems like a bit of a cheat. Trying to claw your way back after a mess up is part of the whole appeal.

popej
30th Dec 2011, 15:47
I've got Forza 4 at home and used to own Forza 3. Pretty sure there is an option somewhere to disable rewinds? Could be wrong though..

Spyhopping
30th Dec 2011, 20:31
It's tempting to use, but it just feels like cheating! It's the rewind sign popping up that's irritating, just to remind you that you've made a mistake. You can get rid of the alert though.

Great fun game. You can tune the cars to a much greater extent than you can in Gran Turismo, it also provides you with much more detail on the components.

Panpiper
1st Jan 2012, 01:48
The last 'original' AAA game (meaning bought in a store shrink wrapped or the equivalent) that I played was Fallout. No, not Fallout 3, or Fallout 2, I mean the original Fallout.

Nowadays if you want original, you have to forgo pretty graphics and pick up garage games made by hardcore gamers working solo.

That said, This latest incarnation of Deus Ex was in my opinion done very well and a fair sequel (prequel technically) to the original. Now if only they actually 'officially' supported their game...

Shralla
2nd Jan 2012, 21:00
Calling the first Fallout original seems like a pretty big stretch of the word. The story and writing may have been original, but the gameplay was literally identical to games that had been coming out for fifteen years before that.

Romeo
2nd Jan 2012, 21:17
I've got Forza 4 at home and used to own Forza 3. Pretty sure there is an option somewhere to disable rewinds? Could be wrong though..
Yes there is. It's in the difficulty options. :)

It's tempting to use, but it just feels like cheating! It's the rewind sign popping up that's irritating, just to remind you that you've made a mistake. You can get rid of the alert though.

Great fun game. You can tune the cars to a much greater extent than you can in Gran Turismo, it also provides you with much more detail on the components.
I used to like Gran Turismo, but the amount of innovation they've had in their long reign is essentially non-existent. I truly feel like Forza has ripped them to pieces. I also find the cars more communicative in Forza, which is nice, as all my cars in real life are talkative ladies.

Spyhopping
2nd Jan 2012, 22:55
Yes there is. It's in the difficulty options. :)

I used to like Gran Turismo, but the amount of innovation they've had in their long reign is essentially non-existent. I truly feel like Forza has ripped them to pieces. I also find the cars more communicative in Forza, which is nice, as all my cars in real life are talkative ladies.

Cars are certainly more responsive in Forza 3. I still make plenty of mistakes, but it's usually due to me driving too aggressively. In GT5, use a car with a hint of power and it's like the track's been rubbed with lard.

The tracks seemed a little more interesting in GT5, and a little more "rally". I haven't seen any weather variety in Forza 3 yet either, but it outstrips GT5 in every other way. I'll be grabbing the 4th game if I can find it somewhere pre-owned.

Romeo
3rd Jan 2012, 23:51
The fourth one is leaps and bounds better than the third, although still not as crazy-innovative as the first was. I'm still hoping Drift, Oval and Rally events all get some time in the spotlight in the next iteration.

thedosbox
9th Jan 2012, 22:43
I agree completely. I bought the game and was absolutely impressed by it. There were a couple bugs, but certainly not a buggy mess like commenters online kept claiming. I suspect many of them probably didn't even play it before condemning it.

I picked it up on a steam sale months ago, and consider it a buggy mess. In particular, the stuttering and mouse control problems were never fixed and ruined immersion for me - this on a machine that had no issues with any other game.

Just goes to reinforce my view that obsidian cannot seem to deliver on their (admirable) ambitions.

Romeo
11th Jan 2012, 00:33
I picked it up on a steam sale months ago, and consider it a buggy mess. In particular, the stuttering and mouse control problems were never fixed and ruined immersion for me - this on a machine that had no issues with any other game.

Just goes to reinforce my view that obsidian cannot seem to deliver on their (admirable) ambitions.
I have virtually no lag (Unless my PC is getting a touch too warm, but then even Supreme Commander and Dawn of War II begin to stutter). I certainly have had FAR less problems with it over the course of months than what I had with a couple weeks worth of Skyrim. And yet, Skyrim apparently gets a free pass when the game wont run for more than an hour usually, whereas Alpha Protocol has hiccupped a couple times, and never once crashed to desktop for me (Whereas Skyrim has a habit of not only crashing the game, but actually knocking out the video feed in the process - only game that does it).

Zoet
11th Jan 2012, 05:57
I have virtually no lag (Unless my PC is getting a touch too warm, but then even Supreme Commander and Dawn of War II begin to stutter). I certainly have had FAR less problems with it over the course of months than what I had with a couple weeks worth of Skyrim. And yet, Skyrim apparently gets a free pass when the game wont run for more than an hour usually, whereas Alpha Protocol has hiccupped a couple times, and never once crashed to desktop for me (Whereas Skyrim has a habit of not only crashing the game, but actually knocking out the video feed in the process - only game that does it).
The Internet's opinion on bugs in games is highly unpredictable and inconsistent. Skyrim is quite glitchy, so was Fallout NV, but you don't tend to hear people say 'Skyrim was a good game, shame about the bugs' in the same way that they speak of New Vegas and Alpha Protocol. I haven't played Alpha Protocol, so I can't comment on the veracity of claims of its extreme glitchyness, but it becomes almost a meme: received knowledge that becomes true through endless repetition, colouring perceptions of games, often unfairly.

TrickyVein
11th Jan 2012, 07:51
Well, I mean...vanilla NV is extremely buggy. I still can't finish the game because of some script, something or other not working right at the very end during the battle of Hoover Dam.

Be that as it may, I would not want to be stuck on a console playing a game like New Vegas and not be able to readily mend it as I can on a PC with ini tweaks and mods; in fact, I think console gamers were and still are the most vocal about game-breaking bugs that shipped with the game. Most are stuck up a creek without a paddle until the next patch.

Reven
11th Jan 2012, 08:38
Fallout NV crashes almost constantly for me. Anywhere for 18 minutes to 2 hours of play time is guaranteed to give me at least 10 crashes or more. The only thing I can narrow it down to is that there is something about the gamebryo engine that makes it very sensitive to the overall system configuration.

Oddly it also makes my graphics card burn at around 80 to 93 degrees even with Evga precision controlling the fan speed.

Romeo
11th Jan 2012, 09:27
Well, I mean...vanilla NV is extremely buggy. I still can't finish the game because of some script, something or other not working right at the very end during the battle of Hoover Dam.

Be that as it may, I would not want to be stuck on a console playing a game like New Vegas and not be able to readily mend it as I can on a PC with ini tweaks and mods; in fact, I think console gamers were and still are the most vocal about game-breaking bugs that shipped with the game. Most are stuck up a creek without a paddle until the next patch.
It's funny. I still don't own Skyrim, but I've had a friend lend me the 360 version, and one lend me the PC DVD. The 360 worked completely flawlessly; The PC would never make it to two hours before shutting down the video card (Which is peculiar, as that PC will run Deus Ex at mid-spec, Supreme Commander at high and both Starcraft II and Dawn of War II at max-spec, and yet Skyrim cooks it at bare minimum. Doesn't even look that good to boot). I know PS3 users have brought up a stuttering issue, although apparently that affects all three platforms... Can't help but feel they did a bit of QA testing for console, and nothing else...

I know Elder Scrolls are notorious for bugs - it's to be expected on a game that allows as much freedom as they do. But I never had anything even close to the amount of game-breaking glitches (To say nothing of the irritating/funny ones) as what I had in the brief stint with Skyrim. Granted, I didn't pick up the PC version of Oblivion until it had been out for almost a year, but still.

Fallout NV crashes almost constantly for me. Anywhere for 18 minutes to 2 hours of play time is guaranteed to give me at least 10 crashes or more. The only thing I can narrow it down to is that there is something about the gamebryo engine that makes it very sensitive to the overall system configuration.

Oddly it also makes my graphics card burn at around 80 to 93 degrees even with Evga precision controlling the fan speed.
That seems to be what I get from Skyrim for some reason, not sure why. I've never played New Vegas, but the friend who leant me the 360 version of Skyrim quoted you almost word for word.

Reven
11th Jan 2012, 11:55
I have the exact opposite with skyrim surprisingly with it being as stable as a Persian rug, crashing less than 10 times since November overall. And most of those came from an odd crash loop which happened while I was following a certain NPC from Riverwood to Kynesgrove. But a system reboot sorted that out.

TrickyVein
11th Jan 2012, 16:31
With Bethesda's titles it feels and sounds like your software and hardware are thrown into a nasty arm-wrestling contest. The loser either freezes and crashes to desktop or scares you with a blue screen of death and restarts, depending.

sonicsidewinder
11th Jan 2012, 16:37
When I was running a 9800gtx+, Skyrim ran very poorly.

It was on max settings, but I think it was either shadows or lighting that had to be taken down a peg from the highest settings. Then it ran fine enough.

Romeo
12th Jan 2012, 01:43
I have the exact opposite with skyrim surprisingly with it being as stable as a Persian rug, crashing less than 10 times since November overall. And most of those came from an odd crash loop which happened while I was following a certain NPC from Riverwood to Kynesgrove. But a system reboot sorted that out.
I envy you. The friend that lent me the PC DVD one was shocked when I gave it back after a week. I told him I already disliked many gameplay decisions, it wasn't worth rebooting my PC every couple hours. lol

With Bethesda's titles it feels and sounds like your software and hardware are thrown into a nasty arm-wrestling contest. The loser either freezes and crashes to desktop or scares you with a blue screen of death and restarts, depending.
See, I never had that issue with Daggerfall, Morrowind or Oblivion. Again, take that with a grain of salt, as I picked up Daggerfall about a month before Morrowind came out, and Oblivion a year after it's release.

When I was running a 9800gtx+, Skyrim ran very poorly.

It was on max settings, but I think it was either shadows or lighting that had to be taken down a peg from the highest settings. Then it ran fine enough.
For whatever reason, the settings appear to have absolutely zero effect on things. I haven't maxxed it out (My PC isn't that good), but on high it zips along just as wonderfully as it does on Low. And crashes just as often too. lol

thedosbox
13th Jan 2012, 03:33
I have virtually no lag (Unless my PC is getting a touch too warm, but then even Supreme Commander and Dawn of War II begin to stutter). I certainly have had FAR less problems with it over the course of months than what I had with a couple weeks worth of Skyrim. And yet, Skyrim apparently gets a free pass

Not from me. Similarly to Obsidian, experience has shown that Bethesda need time to fix their problems. But unlike Obsidian, they usually do - eventually.

I haven't played Alpha Protocol, so I can't comment on the veracity of claims of its extreme glitchyness, but it becomes almost a meme: received knowledge that becomes true through endless repetition, colouring perceptions of games, often unfairly.

The stuttering problem is common enough to be mentioned as an FAQ on Obsidian's forum: http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showtopic=55163

The so-called fixes did nothing for me, even after upgrading to my current machine last year.

68_pie
13th Jan 2012, 15:42
Not from me. Similarly to Obsidian, experience has shown that Bethesda need time to fix their problems. But unlike Obsidian, they usually do - eventually.

Really? Cos I would have said the exact opposite. Obsidian certainly did a better job of patching New Vegas than Bethesda did with Failout 3. Plus, patching Skyrim seemed to create a lot of new problems for people.

thedosbox
13th Jan 2012, 18:17
Really? Cos I would have said the exact opposite. Obsidian certainly did a better job of patching New Vegas than Bethesda did with Failout 3. Plus, patching Skyrim seemed to create a lot of new problems for people.

Yes, really - I had no issues with Fallout 3 or FONV, but I wasn't foolish enough to buy them until they were patched and went on sale. I'm also not interested in yet another DnD romp, so have no experience with Skyrim. The reality is that it's rare for a complex PC game to be bug free nowadays. It's just that in my experience, Obsidian have a poorer track record than Bethesda - who aren't blameless either (see the "no slack from me" post).

Romeo
13th Jan 2012, 20:43
Yes, really - I had no issues with Fallout 3 or FONV, but I wasn't foolish enough to buy them until they were patched and went on sale. I'm also not interested in yet another DnD romp, so have no experience with Skyrim. The reality is that it's rare for a complex PC game to be bug free nowadays. It's just that in my experience, Obsidian have a poorer track record than Bethesda - who aren't blameless either (see the "no slack from me" post).
I think his point was more that Obsidian does patch their games - and they patch them well. New Vegas is apparently a dream post-patch. Skyrim has taken one issue, and released a patch which not only doesn't alleviate the issue, but introduces a new one. I have no doubt they'll fix the game (At least, I hope. I know Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance had a fault which they never could patch), but I just find it comical that when Obsidian, Relic, or any other develloper has bugs in their game, it's a buggy mess. When Bethesda has bugs in their game, it's either "expected for a game of this scope", or it "adds to the charm". The industry has such a colossal double-standard.