PDA

View Full Version : Dues ex Human revolution hand to hand combat?

Synkronize
16th Nov 2011, 01:08
I'm thinking about getting this game. The hand to hand combat seems cool but what im wondering is i saw a video is like a quick time or something or is it press a button and watch a little movie of the guy beating the crap out people. Also how many hours can i get out of this game and if i liked mass effect would i like this? ( i still need to beat ME 2 would you recommend getting that instead?) Also if that is how the hand to hand combat is how are the other ways of playing the game? Also One person on another place i asked this question

and he gave this "simple answer deus gets boring at 10+ hours of gameplay becuase you only do the same over and over and over again and its too linear and mass effect is way big to explore" I find it hard to believe him to me he seems like a ME fanboy So i dunno. i just need insight on how this game actually plays.

Shralla
16th Nov 2011, 01:29
Push button, receive kill. That's how it works.

And that guy is DEFINITELY a Mass Effect fanboy. I can't even believe somebody supporting Bioware would have the audacity to complain about "doing the same thing over and over" in Deus Ex.

Synkronize
16th Nov 2011, 02:29
Yea i thought so, hmm pushing button for a kill that sounds kind of repetitive but i can't judge the entire game off that i guess. Id have to think about it and see more gameplay videos.

Romeo
16th Nov 2011, 02:58
Yea i thought so, hmm pushing button for a kill that sounds kind of repetitive but i can't judge the entire game off that i guess. Id have to think about it and see more gameplay videos.
Well, just wait. If you don't like that concept, try and find a friend's copy to play first, because that has A LOT to do with how combat is handled. That being said, Mass Effect 2 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution are both awesome, but in very different ways. Personally, were I in your position, I'd buy Human Revolution for now, and hold out for the inevitable "ultimate edition" of Mass Effect 2. Both games, more content!

Locutus of BORG
16th Nov 2011, 03:23
I'm an avid Mass Effect player myself, so I don't think bashing BW or that game is fair. OTOH, I think I've easily spent maybe 100 hours on DXHR, so I can say I've thoroughly enjoyed DX as well.

Like Romeo said, try DXHR now, since it's newer. If you can snag ME2 for cheap as well, then by all means do so, otherwise whatever. ME3 is out next year and there should be some new DXHR DLC on the way as well, so start with the newer stuff.

Darthassin
16th Nov 2011, 06:33
DXHR puts ME2 to shame.

Romeo
16th Nov 2011, 09:14
DXHR puts ME2 to shame.
As evidenced by the plethora of facts and statements used to back that up... There's little point in even comparing them, Mass Effect is a RPG/squad shooter hybrid, whereas Human Revolution is an entirely solo affair, with a heavy emphasis on stealth. Right off the bat, your opinion is going to look incredibly false if someone doesn't enjoy stealth games...

One more point to consider here Synk, is that you're going to want the Cerberus Network if you do pick up Mass Effect 2. If you buy a used copy, that's a $15 expense to factor in. Like I said, Bioware tends to be generous with releasing ultimate editions, I'd just hold out a little longer and pick it up when that comes out, and get Human Revolution in the mean time.

Jason Parker
16th Nov 2011, 14:00
I'd also suggest to first get Deus Ex: HR and save ME 2 for when it is available in a complete package with all DLC and you have the time to go through ME 1 and ME 2 in one run.

Synkronize
16th Nov 2011, 23:00
Oh, i see well i already beat ME 1 never finished ME 2 but i guess ill stride for getting deus ex it looks and sounds like an interesting game.

singularity
17th Nov 2011, 02:02
If you liked ME1, then DXHR and ME2 will likely both rock your socks.

But consider this - if you want a game with a darker look and tone, a large emphisis on stealth and player choice and a first-person adventure, DX is the way to go.

If you're looking for a 3rd person shooter with an emphisis on dialogue options, story-telling, and character development, the ME2 will be your game of choice.

It's important to factor in value too... while DXHR lasted longer for me on the first playthrough, it will be very hard to find the game for anything less than $35 USD. I've seen copies of ME2 go for $7. That being said, DXHR will probably sit at that price for quite a few months before droping -- and Bioware games have a funny habit of being re-released as "Game of the Year" or "Special editions" that feature bonus content/ DLC.

Seeing as how the DLC for ME2 is probably some of the only DLC in the world that's actually worth owning, it might be smart to wait a couple of months and see if they don't release a Complete Edition to coincide with ME3. You can fill that time by playing DXHR ;)

brangdon
18th Nov 2011, 17:47
Well, just wait. If you don't like that concept, try and find a friend's copy to play first, because that has A LOT to do with how combat is handled.Although you don't have to use it. You can use a short-range silent weapon instead.

auric
18th Nov 2011, 22:21
Also how many hours can i get out of this game
I have been recording my playthrough like a movie & I have passed 8 hours, almost 9 or maybe 10. I still haven't finished it.

This count is based on the following variables:
- It includes all the Cinematic videos
- Loading screens are cut off
- Inventory & other pop ups are cut off
- No reloads are being recorded (1 long straight forward movie experience)
- Performing every main & side quests (without Augmentations)
- not 100% sneaking, I took some frontal approach but remain quiet.

So I expect,
if u want 100% stealth, it may take a bit longer at host another hour waiting for them
Augs speeds up ur approach
Frontal approach cuts ur waiting time

Also if that is how the hand to hand combat is how are the other ways of playing the game? Also One person on another place i asked this question

There are plenty of ways to explore:
- Ghost Approach (Kill / KO / Ignore)
- Aggressive Approach (frontal assault or stealthy)
- No Augmentations
- Double Takedowns only
- Everything Goes
- The silly person manoeuvres (bump into things) :D

Unstoppable
20th Nov 2011, 04:16
Both are great games but if you already played Mass Effect you might as well get Mass Effect 2. It's a little more linear than Mass Effect 1 however but it's still a great game. DX HR is less linear because it allows you to solve things how you want to.

Both games offer alternate endings also. It's a win win really.