PDA

View Full Version : Equip time is almost a deal breaker for me

pukster
14th Nov 2011, 11:51
This is driving me absolutely bonkers. The amount of time it takes to switch between guns is brutal. Add to that the annoying health regen which takes forever, and you have a recipe for absurdity.

It reminds me of that scene in The Naked Gun 2 1/2 where OJ Simpson is continuously assembling his anti tank rifle.

Ashpolt
14th Nov 2011, 12:26
Simply put: this is not Doom or CoD, and shouldn't be played as such. Until you've got the augments required to be a bullet sponge, you're going to have to play with a certain degree of caution. I can honestly say that I never once - in either of my playthroughs, stealthy or guns blazing - found either the weapon switch time or health regen time to be excessive.

...Especially the weapon switch. It takes about a second. Are you crazy?

Jordasm
14th Nov 2011, 12:38
Add to that the annoying health regen which takes forever

I've never seen anyone complain about regen taking too long. This isn't call of duty, you can't run in like a headless chicken, and then magically have your health reappear in 2/3 seconds. The weapon switch isn't particularly....bad either...

kelticfury
14th Nov 2011, 14:06
I've never seen anyone complain about regen taking too long. This isn't call of duty, you can't run in like a headless chicken, and then magically have your health reappear in 2/3 seconds. The weapon switch isn't particularly....bad either...

This ^^.

I think the OP is just trolling.

pukster
14th Nov 2011, 14:20
This ^^.

I think the OP is just trolling.

Perhaps you should leave the thinking to those more qualified.

pukster
14th Nov 2011, 14:26
Simply put: this is not Doom or CoD, and shouldn't be played as such. Until you've got the augments required to be a bullet sponge, you're going to have to play with a certain degree of caution. I can honestly say that I never once - in either of my playthroughs, stealthy or guns blazing - found either the weapon switch time or health regen time to be excessive.

...Especially the weapon switch. It takes about a second. Are you crazy?

I realize this is not doom (if anything, I'm comparing it to DX). But it's supposed to be an RPG. I should be able to play it how I want. If I want to make my character a tank and go on a shooting spree, that should be my choice. The health regen is ridiculous. You pop out of cover, there is a delay before you can shoot, and if your health drops below a certain value, on the hardest setting, it takes 10 seconds to recharge. THAT IS BORING. And that Dermal armor does not help that much.

I realize Adam never "asked for this", but he could maybe, you know, put his multi billion dollar augs to use when I instruct him to change weapons. He is the worse with the PEPS gun. 1 second to equip, another second to realize it's not loaded (it's never loaded), then another 2 seconds to reload.

pukster
14th Nov 2011, 14:33
Here's a perfect example, when you're fighting that Federova chic, it's damn near impossible to change weapons. I shot her with the PEPS gun, then scratched my eyeballs out waiting for him to switch to the pistol. She was long gone before I even got a shot off!

EricaLeeV
14th Nov 2011, 14:36
I don't know....the weapons use in the original Deus Ex wasn't that great either.

I'm still pretty happy with the way Eidos Montreal handled health regeneration. I remember people were flipping their **** whenever it was announced that there was going to be health regen. It turns out though that the slowness of the regeneration tends to weed out certain individuals from liking this game (like COD players) because it's 'too difficult'.

I don't mind how sensitive Adam is in fire fights. You can take cover and sometimes the AI will flank you but normally the AI isn't exactly the best out there so it can be easily exploited by other means.

Also Federova (and the subsequent boss after her) can be AMAZINGLY easy. :/ I normally played stealth too so I was not experienced in too many fire fights when I first faced her.

Ashpolt
14th Nov 2011, 15:43
He is the worse with the PEPS gun. 1 second to equip, another second to realize it's not loaded (it's never loaded), then another 2 seconds to reload.

Hint: reload your weapons when outside combat. I don't think I ever once switched to a weapon mid-fight that was anything less than fully loaded.

This all comes across as you playing badly and trying to play the game for it. I've done a combat run on Give me Deus Ex and had no issues. Grow a pair.

VectorM
14th Nov 2011, 16:05
Just like the guy, who complained about the "lack of ammo" in the game, you are just BAD. L2P.

ilweran
14th Nov 2011, 16:11
(if anything, I'm comparing it to DX)

Really? OK, a medi-pack was instant, but you had to choose to use it - and HR does have painkillers/ those other things that increase your health above 100 which you can use before the health regen kicks in. At least in HR the dermal armour is passive, unlike the ballistic protection in DX where if you make a mistake you can be dead before you can activate it.

zenstar
14th Nov 2011, 16:12
Here's a perfect example, when you're fighting that Federova chic, it's damn near impossible to change weapons. I shot her with the PEPS gun, then scratched my eyeballs out waiting for him to switch to the pistol. She was long gone before I even got a shot off!

Funny. I defeated her by using the melee stun gun and switching to my backup weapon (a fully modded pistol) and headshotting her to death and I always got a few shots in before she'd wake up. And this was on my hacker/stealth run with 0 combat augs.

If you're going combat route then there are at least 2 easier ways of dealing with her:

1) Typhoon
2) You should be immune to electricity (skin augs) so shoot the generators when she's near for EZ mode kill.

jeyeichkey
14th Nov 2011, 21:21
I agree about the cover things. Most of the time during gunfight Adam can find himself a crate to hide behind and shoot from and/or move to new locations in cover of more crates.

pukster
14th Nov 2011, 23:07
Really? OK, a medi-pack was instant, but you had to choose to use it - and HR does have painkillers/ those other things that increase your health above 100 which you can use before the health regen kicks in. At least in HR the dermal armour is passive, unlike the ballistic protection in DX where if you make a mistake you can be dead before you can activate it.

IN HR the health regen has a delay before kicking in. In DX the health regen is continuous. This works out to being able to soak up more bullets. The dermal armor is also more effective. Finally, the battery (bio cell) drain is a lot less too, so you can actually be in a fire fight for much longer.

Romeo
15th Nov 2011, 07:48
IN HR the health regen has a delay before kicking in. In DX the health regen is continuous. This works out to being able to soak up more bullets. The dermal armor is also more effective. Finally, the battery (bio cell) drain is a lot less too, so you can actually be in a fire fight for much longer.
In Deus Ex health regeneration was limited, and something tells me if it were limited in HR you'd be campaigning for that cause instead. I'm in the middle of a combat playthrough, and without using cover, the health regeneration has never been a concern. If I get shot, it's typically my own fault (Take that as a hint) and at least I have meds/liquor on hand to save myself if need be. The weapons don't take very long at all, unless you're switching to something excessive like a heavy rifle or rocket launcher.

As people said, you can play the game how you like, but the purpose isn't to excuse idiocy, it's to offer multiple options. Don't rush in to a combat situation, analyze and act accordingly.

Praedor
15th Nov 2011, 14:25
This is driving me absolutely bonkers. The amount of time it takes to switch between guns is brutal. Add to that the annoying health regen which takes forever, and you have a recipe for absurdity.

It reminds me of that scene in The Naked Gun 2 1/2 where OJ Simpson is continuously assembling his anti tank rifle.

I PREFER it be thus. It would suck if health regeneration were too fast/easy. I like it when the game approaches (in game fashion at least) a REALISTIC mode. You get cut in RL you don't heal in minutes or seconds. You are stuck with it for a while. You don't just "walk it off" if you have a gunshot wound. You hobble it off over time IF you had some form of decent treatment (otherwise you can look forward to sepsis at best). You can toss in high-tech answers (nano-bot tissue repair) or go for some back alley emergency surgery, but it should NOT be like you are superman who can simply not be defeated (Super Heros suck for this very reason).

I didn't like the fact that only the first battery recharged over time and felt that if given enough time, you would recharge ALL the batteries you have, but I got used to it.

As for weapons, that is a tough row to ho. Hell, I'd prefer you not be able to carry so much ***** at all (even with that trench coat, you simply cannot hide a sniper rifle, assault rifle, shotgun, etc. At least in Mass Effect you actually carried all that stuff visibly on your back/waist but even then it was too much. A fully loaded out soldier carries a rifle and MAYBE a pistol (if they buy/bring their own because you aren't issued a pistol), a set of grenades, and about 250 rds of ammo. That is LOADED DOWN. So the issue of changing weapons wasn't really much of an issue with me. I got used to it. In Mass Effect, you simply rolled your mouse wheel to cycle through weapons. I got used to that too. Now you want excrutiating weapon changes, try Arma 2...holy Cthulhu that is Byzantine.

Praedor
15th Nov 2011, 14:37

Like others I've gotten her down to fairly simple. First, DON'T use the PEPS gun. It is too slow to equip with it and it is also too slow to change to another. Use the stun gun and pistol or stun gun and assault rifle (slower but still doable). If need be, toss in an EMP grenade or two and you can take her down quick and easy. Same method works on Namir (if you don't manage to pull off the single punch take-down on Namir that is on Youtube - someone found a glitch in the game that allows for a properly timed SINGLE punch, no shots fired otherwise, to take down Namir. Pretty funny).