PDA

View Full Version : DX:HR atmospheric moments that resonated with you

ROCK STARTIST
9th Nov 2011, 22:48
For the people who appreciate the developers work of immersion... that always gives us a reason to replay this shelf life gem!....

Spoilers

- Your first elevator ride going up to David Sarrif's office as you look at the city lights.

- Your first visit to your apartment with a friendly female greeting!

- Looking through the elevator window departing the Highland warehouse as you arrive into the massive underground Fema military camp.

- After every tough mission, Sarif employees always talked about your accomplishments upon arrival, total release valve!

- Your first arrival in Hengsha, and looking straight up at the man-made massive structure above with soaring airplanes in the horizon. Very Cyberpunk!

- The breathing life of Hengsha, my favorite NPCs is the chief with the cooking pan and the several tables with four people eating, who are actually friendly.

- Watching Picus news on the large Soloto flat-screens on the the Alice Garden Pods balcony!

- The arrival of Zhaos haunting Baroque penthouse, because it conveyed a brooding feeling something was about to go down.

- The rewarding dialogue exchange after saving Malik, " thanks Spy boy... see you Fly girl"

- The architecture of Omega Ranch, structures that stand out is the Omega Ranch Globe Marquee, the Skywalks and that sophisticated pinewood floor lobby entrance that leads up to grand marble lobby with cloak guards, reminiscent of Zhaos penthouse!

- That final freight-elevator ride in Panchea going below before the Hyron project showdown.

Name yours?

drakontion
10th Nov 2011, 00:51
Most of those, plus:

Returning to Detroit after Hengsha and it feeling like home.
Hanging outside The Hive club listening to my speakers vibrate from the awesome bass. Then going in and listening to it treble.
Looking out the window of the Tai Yong facility down at Upper Hengsha. Beautiful.
The rocket/pod thingy launch scene and its music.

And probably lots more :)

Olgerth Heidern
10th Nov 2011, 16:01
So far the only things that resonated with me were the skyline view as I rode up to Sarif's office (as B-EE flies by), and looking up from the Lower Hengsha and seeing the lights of the helicopters WAAAAY above me. Considering that B-EE isn't all that small and the copters in Hengsha all look like it, it made me feel how bloody high up they all were.

That, and the details like the half-assembled clockwork and a smashed mirror in AJ's apartment. Poor bastard.

Bullet dodger
10th Nov 2011, 22:49
Nice list...

I finished the game about 3 weeks ago but I still have a clear 'vision' of the glowing city at night as I looked out the elevator window.

I also like the security check when I was locked between the glass doors (authorization glass booth) and all the data and body scan of me (well not much) was listed and checked front of me on the screen.

Mirror deja vu
17th Nov 2011, 13:05
1) Chinese cooker at the Alice Garden Pods entrance (before slaughter there). I watched for half an hour how he cooked over open fire and shouted something inviting time to time. Very peaceful.
2) Eliza on the huge screen casting looks left-right to track down Fedorova's moves. Then her calm voice: "Adam, run." Good girl.

Olgerth Heidern
17th Nov 2011, 15:48
Oh yeah, and another thing.

The constant, barely discernible, but audible "Hello? HELLO?!!.. *echo* *echo *echo*" in the beginning of Panchaea stage, before all hell breaks loose.

Darthassin
17th Nov 2011, 20:08
SPOILER!!!!

Finishing Maliks quest - looking at changed Hive and listening to my favourite text: "Malik, remind me to never piss you off."

Bullet dodger
18th Nov 2011, 12:13
1) Then her calm voice: "Adam, run." Good girl.

Yes, I did like that soft nice voice of her...

Slightly off topic. Is there a separate tread about quotes from the game? Just curious what other's find memorable...

Mirror deja vu
19th Nov 2011, 11:15
Yes, I did like that soft nice voice of her...

Slightly off topic. Is there a separate tread about quotes from the game? Just curious what other's find memorable...

You may start it and be the boss. Marie de Marle is a wonderful writer.

There was one more memorable moment in the game though not uplifting but utterly ridiculous. This Panchaea thing, echo, wispers, blood, insanity, dead metal sounds, hissing wind. Cold hell of a sort like Olgerth said above. When I was through all this madness and moved away a vending machine from a doorway, I really froze stunned to see a salesgirl standing over the corpse of her co-worker girl in the pool of blood and patiently waiting for another buyer of the praxis kits. Like office hours are still on, or she is a droid. Abandoned clinic room would suit better I guess.

RedKnight7
20th Nov 2011, 02:25
I love the whole Hyron Core, including the cut-scene. And when Zhao says,

Do you see where honor and ambition lead you?

To a hole miles deep in the ocean, about to meet your end

(evil laugh)

And powerless

Love Zhao's voice acting by Atsuko Tanaka (https://www.google.com/search?q=Atsuko+Tanaka&hl=en&lr=lang_en&as_qdr=all&tbs=lr:lang_1en&prmd=imvnso&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ImTITquuNo-htwfQ_f3aCw&ved=0CFoQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=1067)

Oh, and - saving Malik. My first run through the game I assumed she was unsaveable. Then I saw her corpse at the Harvester's.

Ever since my second run, I have loved sniping those bastards. Brings tears to my eyes. When you need it just in time, use <s>Longsword 202 ERASER (Extreme RAnge SnipEr Rifle)</s> FedEx.

Jerion
20th Nov 2011, 03:46
I love the apartment. The first time I wandered in, I checked email, stocked up, and just took it all in. Then I noticed the box with a picture of Megan and the dog, and a group shot of some old swat buddies. A really powerful moment.

Another great moment is walking into Sarif's office for the first time, accompanied by the signature bars of the UNATCO music. Makes me grin every time.

skunx
20th Nov 2011, 18:42
Wait...what?? Motoko Kusanagi as Zhao ??
Damn, I would like to play the japanese version of the game... but how?

JCpies
20th Nov 2011, 20:09
I love the apartment. The first time I wandered in, I checked email, stocked up, and just took it all in. Then I noticed the box with a picture of Megan and the dog, and a group shot of some old swat buddies. A really powerful moment.

This.

Walking in Hengsha for the first time, the music, the NPCs, the sounds, the neon lights, everything.

Mrow
20th Nov 2011, 22:41
Going up the staff elevator the second time. The last place I actually got to talk to Megan. She's gone, and the city's right there, uncaring.
Reading all the get well cards in my apartment. That made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.
The view from Upper Hengsha. Holy cow it's REAL SUNLIGHT
Hearing the thunder in Singapore. That really struck me for some reason.
Arriving at Panchaea and just taking the view in. A sunrise--a new day in more ways than one, right?

jjc
21st Nov 2011, 01:23
Zhao's penthouse and the subsequent mech fight. All to this music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MrFj9sX10w

Mirror deja vu
21st Nov 2011, 13:23
The view from Upper Hengsha.

Yeah, a mission in Upper Hengsha City itself would be a delight.

MrFob
22nd Nov 2011, 05:58
The first arrival in the apartment is very cool.
Also I love the very beginning from the guided walk to the surgery. I was awed!
When your implants first start to glitch and you don't quite know what the hell is going on.
There are many many more.

However, one point where I have to disagree with the OP is the last elevator ride and the final fight. I was really disappointed by that. We are talking about the great finale of the game here and we are going down ti the ocean floor. What a great opportunity this was to show some truly marvelous under water scenery, etc. but what do we get? A gray elevator shaft! They should really have made it out of some transparent material so that you can see that you really go deep into the ocean, the light getting dimmer and dimmer, maybe even seeing a fluorescent jellyfish or giant squid. Lot's of wasted potential there, unfortunately.

Harill
25th Nov 2011, 21:05
Mine was walking into my apartment for the first time, hearing the voice, and seeing the blinds open.
Other than that, there really wasn't any "WOW" moments for me.

binaryboy
27th Nov 2011, 13:07
The overall clutter and attention to detail, especially in the Sarif offices and labs. They give the environment a "lived in" feel and make the game visually interesting.

sonicsidewinder
28th Nov 2011, 01:16
Walking into Sarif's office to the Unatco theme. When the game really started to resonate with me.

Also coming out of the sewer to the Hengsha Dock was pretty cool. With the whole blade runner furnace things going on.

singularity
29th Nov 2011, 06:16
There are 5 moments that hit me hard in a way that was powerful, not in a character or script way (I have my own list for those), but from a visual, immersive stand-point.
In order:

Zhao's Penthouse.

Federova boss-fight.

Adam's apartment (complete with pictures, books and hobbies).

Taking the flight-pod to Panchea.

Seeing the sun in Upper Hengsha.

JC19
1st Dec 2011, 03:50
The area where you fight Yelena Fedorova.
The fight itself isn't even that great. But DAMN, the location is incredible.

In fact, the whole Picus Basement part was great. I loved the throwbacks to VersaLife's basement (remember the hand with the world in its grasp? I crapped bricks.)

Delex2002
1st Dec 2011, 11:42
A lot of mine have already been said but the Yelena boss fight stands out as being very iconic to me. The atmosphere, music, and environment were all breathtaking (and the fight itself, depending on how you made your character - more on that later).

There was something so wickedly awesome that an A.I is more or less narrating the encounter and trying to help you (most other games usually have you fighting an AI or fighting a guy merged with an AI, you're never really on the other side of the fence, which was refreshing) as you battle within her, especially the way she spoke in an impersonal, almost soothing monotone which made it all the more unnerving when being warned about what Yelena was doing. The beauty of it is that while it was empowering to have a super AI on my side, the fact that there was no emotion or urgency in her voice as she was telling me to run for my life was just so incredibly offputting and unnerving. And even more brilliant was how the aforementioned presence of having an AI on your side ended up working to the opposite effect.

Most people normally think of AIs in ficton (the Deus Ex universe being no exception) as being these advanced, calculating, and resourceful masterminds who are almost omnipotent when in their domain. So when suddenly Eliza informs me that "she's lost track of her" in her angelic deadpan, I did a "Wait, what?" double take and suddenly felt extremely vulnerable as I thought about what the implications of that meant. It was unsettling for the morale, to say the least.

Normally the Yelena boss fight itself was average, but if you were a stealth class with max cloak and max energy cell regen it was one of the most iconic moments in the game. Some incredibly intense MGS-style Spy vs. Spy **** to be had. This soundtrack takes it to another level entirely and captivates the intensity of the duel. Neither Adam or Yelena say a single word the entire fight - as if they are so focused and enraptured in the tension of combat as they both dive from cover to cover, shift in and out of cloak, and desperately try and get the drop on the other.

You exchange blows and retreat to opposite ends of the room to wait to recover your health, frantically trying to avoid detection. You peek around the wall and on the other side the shimmer of a cloak catches your eye. Instinctively you pop out, pistol drawn, ready to fire, only to come to the haunting realization that she's not there. You feel the hairs on the back of your neck stand up as Eliza breaks the silence with two simple, terrifying words:

"Move, Adam."

Zoet
1st Dec 2011, 12:35
For me the entire game was strikingly atmospheric, but to pick a single location I would have to say Adam's apartment. It felt like an utterly tragic place, and spoke volumes to me at least about the character's struggles.

@Delex2002: I played that fight the same way the first time, as embarrassingly, I managed to somehow miss her with the stun-gun the first time so I thought that she was immune to it. It was actually quite fun. Second time round I just stunned her and spammed mines to get it over and done with in 30 seconds flat.

ROCK STARTIST
15th Dec 2011, 08:15
Thanks for all the responses, I was surprised this thread springboarded especially when there was an similar yet more active " your favorite location " discussion!

Mirror Deja Vu: I too found it odd a sales girl working a shift in given circumstances.

Mr Fob: I do agree with u about the subterranean Panchea ocean ride, the aquatic life would add some comfort as you approach the final dance. Also providing irony as you question the longevity of these life forms depending which ending you decide. Although I also excited to see the depth of Panchae, the generic design was still cool.

Lets keep it going!