PDA

View Full Version : Open letter regarding SDK

derezdev
9th Nov 2011, 19:45
This is a letter that was written to the only Square Enix email I could find at the time a writing. I did get a prompt response, but was told to go to a looping support web page. I sent a message back asking for a specific email address or a reason as to why they couldn't forward it. I haven't yet received a reply. As to the initial response, this generally tells me that it won't get to it's intended party. So, perhaps posting it here will be of some use.

To Whom it May Concern,

I write today to request an official comment for the benefit of your customers. I am sure you have received an abundance of correspondence regarding the desire for a Deus Ex Human Revolution SDK; if not directly, then by the posts on your forums. There are a myriad of reasons why the release of such a thing can be of benefit to your company, both from a public relations standpoint and economically (I can provide a list if it is desired). However, I am also aware that the decision of a company is seldom changed by the customers it sells to (especially if the product in and of itself is profitable). I am not writing to make judgement on the decision of your company as it is entirely your right to release or not release these tools. What I am saying is that by not making a clear comment on this issue, your customers are being unintentionally strung along. This can lead to an increasing sense of resentment with your customer base. Ethical considerations aside, clarity and honesty can build a sense of loyalty with those you sell to and enhanced public relations.

That being said, you have created an amazing game. It is obvious that much time went into making it artistic, immersive, and enjoyable.

Most sincerely,

res

In my personal opinion, I believe Square Enix to be making the same mistake that 2K did with the Bioshock line. However, there are considerations that the general public isn't made aware of and it's not possible to see the complete picture.

Bethesda set a good example of how to keep their customers motivated in their product. With the tools made available to the public, their modding community has flourished and the life of the product line extended by years. Not only do they keep the interest level peaked, they also have a large pool of amateur developers working for free. When a modder creates something popular and/or innovative then the developers of the game have free reign to use that in the next DLC or iteration of the game. This symbiotic relationship is evident when looking at Fallout New Vegas which implemented mods made by individuals modding Fallout 3.

If a company does not have the community mentality, perhaps they should realize that there is profit to be made from this type of relationship. It is a long term vision, but one that can pay off in the end.

Romeo
9th Nov 2011, 22:09
How... Many... More... SDK... Threads? Please, this has to be at least the 400th SDK thread this week. The search bar, it's just up in the top right corner.

LOCKDOWN