PDA

View Full Version : To Jensen, or not to Jensen? That is the question.

imported_the_guy
6th Nov 2011, 13:26
In the next Deus Ex game (assuming there is one, which is likely), who would you prefer to have as the protagonist.

jjc
6th Nov 2011, 13:38
While I loved Jensen as protagonist and would enjoy playing him again, I think Deus Ex as a series succeeds in part because each installment has a new central cast that become part of an overall tapestry spanning 50 years.

Perhaps EM could do a DX:HR-2 in addition to DX4.

Zoet
6th Nov 2011, 18:46
Jensen all the way. I don't think his story is exactly over, so why ditch him now?

Darthassin
6th Nov 2011, 19:18
I would like to play Jensen. His my favourite protagonist.

Btw. Please someone make a poll about Jensen in his trenchcoat vs Jensen action outfit. Which version do you prefer?

It may sound strange, but I don't know how to make a poll. :D

imported_the_guy
6th Nov 2011, 19:30
I would like to play Jensen. His my favourite protagonist.

Btw. Please someone make a poll about Jensen in his trenchcoat vs Jensen action outfit. Which version do you prefer?

It may sound strange, but I don't know how to make a poll. :D

It's pretty easy really, just scroll down to bottom of page when making a thread and you should see a little poll ticky box.

sadmachine
6th Nov 2011, 20:40
I can take or leave Jensen, but I'd like some closure on who Megan Reed really is and also I want more Malik.

jd10013
6th Nov 2011, 21:16
Jensen all the way. I don't think his story is exactly over, so why ditch him now?

it is if he blew himself and Panchea up. :D

I say someone else. the ending didn't really leave much in the way of story for him, plus, you'd either start off fully augmented or they'd have to come up with some half arsed story that justified not having any. and can't see the Dentons being any fun either. we know that story, and there really wasn't much before DX; just paul and JC's time at the academy.

Ashpolt
6th Nov 2011, 23:46
I'd like an all new protagonist. Jensen is good, but one game with him is enough. I don't want Deus Ex to become the Adam Jensen franchise.

auric
7th Nov 2011, 00:01
In the next Deus Ex game (assuming there is one, which is likely), who would you prefer to have as the protagonist.

I've been thinking about this for lengths.

Protagonist
I believe the one thing DX:Invisible Wars did right, was having a new character, while meeting our old self in the game.
I think that if there's more story for the same character, should be done in DLCs mini sequels (around the time length of DX:TML 2 hours & DX:HR 7+ hours).
Time based on my playthrough recording time, not reloading gameplay time. :)

While the next part should be a new person & his/her own DLCs.
Just try to make the DLCs connected to the original.

So it won't be weird to suddenly change to JC Denton when we reach his time again. :)

Here's a link to my own thread about future Sequels & DLCs in general.
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1705860#post1705860

SageSavage
7th Nov 2011, 00:04
you'd either start off fully augmented or they'd have to come up with some half arsed story that justified not having any. and can't see the Dentons being any fun either. we know that story, and there really wasn't much before DX; just paul and JC's time at the academy.

Yeah, I agree. An all new DX needs a new (anti-)hero. If they want want to add something to Jensen's story then that's what expansions (DLC) are there for.

auric
7th Nov 2011, 00:37
What I like about DX:IW
was when I met JC, it was awesome.

Sure u met Tong & the others, but that's normal in any other game.
When u meet ur past self, that's something else.

Just don't make Jensen look weak like JC in DX:IW

Better still, no fight to the death / KO
with them.

I can so imagine being shocked when watching Adam burst through a wall where we're passing by for whatever reason.
"You're alive???"

so much question wanted answered, what happened in Panchaea, etc.

If there's a mission where we choose to go against him or whatever made us have to tackle, it can go both ways.
Either we catch him or he catch us, neither of us dies.

If he catch us, than he'll give an advice before throwing us down.
If we catch him, he manage to slip away or "silver tongue" us, lol

DillonTaylorVA
7th Nov 2011, 04:12
I would really love another game with Adam as the protagonist... but I have a feeling that won't happen given the nature of the previous games and the possibilities at the end of HR. A new protagonist would be my second choice. I'd at least like to see Adam as a support character though, or in a cameo/reference.

Rockn-Roll
7th Nov 2011, 05:25
I think the next protagonist that we play as should be unique and fun. Perhaps a snake or coyote. A snake with arm augs or maybe a coyote with intel upgrade and opposable thumbs. The enemy should have some badgers and lizards.

(note the sarcasm...Jensen is just fine as the protagonist...he has plenty of story to tell.

Romeo
7th Nov 2011, 05:33
Thanks for making this (I was having a lazy day when I suggested it)! I stand by my decision from earlier. I'd like a new protagonist (Especially someone who starts on the "bad guy" side for once), although I would love to see references to both Adam, as well as the stories he was a part of (Megan Reed, Panchaea, Eliza, OCM, etc).

EricaLeeV
7th Nov 2011, 14:36
I hope they can pull off a new protagonist well should they decide to go for it. Adam tended to consist of a lot of tongue-and-cheek references to JC and the like in his design.

If they decided to go with yet ANOTHER person wearing all black, sunglasses and a trenchcoat that would just seem awkward and uninspired to me. Even though the Deus Ex franchise has seemed to become synonymous for it though. :/

BUT I also really want to play Adam Jensen again. Either way it's a little shaky.

Dvaythavvar
7th Nov 2011, 14:43
Starting game from whole new can give a lot of room to creative team and I believe would have potential to be even better than the 'last'. It's often good to let past go and thereby encourage players to still play the old game because they like characters in it same time advertising new and perhaps even cooler characters.

It all depends of the story and ideas if they should go for new or stay with old.

Ashpolt
7th Nov 2011, 14:47
Got it: Thief 4 should end with Garrett getting sucked into the future somehow, and he should then be the protagonist of Deus Ex 4.

You can all thank me for this wonderful and not at all terrible idea with money. Money is also accepted.

Jordasm
7th Nov 2011, 15:18
Got it: Thief 4 should end with Garrett getting sucked into the future somehow, and he should then be the protagonist of Deus Ex 4.

You can all thank me for this wonderful and not at all terrible idea with money. Money is also accepted.

Allofmycredits.jpg

jeyeichkey
7th Nov 2011, 19:57
I would like to have Adam as main character again if the story would be continuing from when panachea went down, and the things Janus was talking about..

on the other hand.. someone mentioned playing a bad character. Why not play Bob Page? ;^P

Romeo
7th Nov 2011, 20:42

Man, if I had a penny for every awesome comment you made, well, truthfully I'd still be pretty poor because even if all 4000 posts were all awesome, that'd be just forty bucks. Good comment though. I guess what I'm trying to say is: Vote.

I would like to have Adam as main character again if the story would be continuing from when panachea went down, and the things Janus was talking about..

on the other hand.. someone mentioned playing a bad character. Why not play Bob Page? ;^P
I think the problem there would be that as Page, you would essentially have a role to follow, rather than the ability to pave your own story. You couldn't join the NSF in their struggles as Page, for example, it wouldn't make any sense. Now, either a lowly grunt (Provides a ton of progress as you augment yourself) or an existing elite soldier, such as Narhari Khan (Would explain why you're central to the conflict) would work better, as they both allow you some wiggle room. Want to continue working for your employer? No problem. Illumnati step forward and request your help? Sign right up. Become disenfranchised with your employer? The NSF or Sarif would welcome you with open arms.

The open-ended would be preserved, but unlike previous games, one might have a bit more intel on all factions in the beginning, which could make for an interesting change.

FreedomForever
10th Nov 2011, 08:48
Srsly?...people actually like Jensen?...JC Denton was 10x better...Jensen was ok but not good IMO.

I don't want any more personal Jensen stories of looking for the damn megan chick.....I want a conspiracy story unraveling from the get go, making me think with multiple conspiracies and interesting characters.

I would like the new protagonistto follow on more of JCDenton storyline than jenson....

jeyeichkey
10th Nov 2011, 10:42
@romeo
Indeed. Good of you to notice that. With Page as the lead character, I think the whole game would be one long video of meetings Page attend to and orders he executes from behind his desk. So no, I wasn't serious about that one.

imported_the_guy
11th Nov 2011, 17:09
@romeo
Indeed. Good of you to notice that. With Page as the lead character, I think the whole game would be one long video of meetings Page attend to and orders he executes from behind his desk. So no, I wasn't serious about that one.

That would be a good idea for a game, 'Deus Ex: The Conspiracy Creator'

Create a bunch of conspiracies and see what happens!!! Yay.