PDA

View Full Version : Omega Ranch Double Takedown + Ghost

slackie
3rd Nov 2011, 04:53
Inspired by Gyron's double take down stealth challange (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=122347) , here's my humble take on the Omega Ranch, which is one of the fun places for all the DTD goodness...and of course, doing it while preserving Ghost status.

The silenced 10mm pistol is used not only as a distraction and lure the guards to where I want them to, but in some cases help me to synchronise the guards patrol path such that they cross.

Pardon the crappy vid quality at the first few seconds of the clips, not an expert in vid conversion :|

Part 1 (http://youtu.be/9lcb79DoGpQ)

Part 2 (http://youtu.be/Key42xn13Vs)

Part 3 (http://youtu.be/te8g6D45C9s)

gyron
3rd Nov 2011, 08:30
Nicely done. Fine timing, a lot of single cell DTD's, various methods used — everything's great.

Although the overall length (40 minutes) is rather long. Not that I would finish it much faster — it's just that on this type of run 90% of time is spent on waiting for the patrol routes to synchronize and hiding bodies, with only 10% being the proper stealth/DTD action. Which maybe fun to do, but doesn't exactly result in a fun viewing experience...

Would you consider doing the Alice Garden Pods mission? It is more difficult, tighter and can be beaten in ~15 minutes. Perfect fit for showing off ;)

About video quality: it seems like you have all graphics options enabled, that's why fps is low. Disabling post-processing, SSAO, tessellation, etc. will greatly help here. As for video compression, Free Video Converter is easy to use, can handle FRAPS .avi files without artifacts and has HQ presets for youtube.

jeyeichkey
3rd Nov 2011, 09:15
I agree with gyron. Even if it's interesting to watch when Adam moves from place to place, the hiding bodies and waiting around could have been shortened down. Other than that... it was damn awesome. Nicely done slackie!

slackie
3rd Nov 2011, 13:22
I agree with gyron. Even if it's interesting to watch when Adam moves from place to place, the hiding bodies and waiting around could have been shortened down. Other than that... it was damn awesome. Nicely done slackie!

There's a problem with that particular map that I face, enemies tend to spawn into walls sometimes or see through certain walls. Most of the other maps I'll just leave the bodies lying there if I know enemies from another room /zone won't see them. Just wanted to be a little extra careful

slackie
3rd Nov 2011, 13:27
Nicely done. Fine timing, a lot of single cell DTD's, various methods used — everything's great.

Although the overall length (40 minutes) is rather long. Not that I would finish it much faster — it's just that on this type of run 90% of time is spent on waiting for the patrol routes to synchronize and hiding bodies, with only 10% being the proper stealth/DTD action. Which maybe fun to do, but doesn't exactly result in a fun viewing experience...

Would you consider doing the Alice Garden Pods mission? It is more difficult, tighter and can be beaten in ~15 minutes. Perfect fit for showing off ;)

About video quality: it seems like you have all graphics options enabled, that's why fps is low. Disabling post-processing, SSAO, tessellation, etc. will greatly help here. As for video compression, Free Video Converter is easy to use, can handle FRAPS .avi files without artifacts and has HQ presets for youtube.

Thanks for the video tips, will try them out for sure...

Alice Pod is another rather buggy map, just like Omega Ranch. I get this chap that spawn inside a wall 90% of the time on level 2, which sux.... I'll give that a try for sure, just need to replan my strat how to do it efficiently. One thing I'm pretty sure tho, if someone on another floor hears you, there's a likelihood that some bodies will be found...don't ask me why, it happens to me all the time...It's like somehow they have heighten senses and visuals that can see through some walls :(

gyron
3rd Nov 2011, 16:02
Alice Pod is another rather buggy map, just like Omega Ranch. I get this chap that spawn inside a wall 90% of the time on level 2, which sux.... I'll give that a try for sure, just need to replan my strat how to do it efficiently. One thing I'm pretty sure tho, if someone on another floor hears you, there's a likelihood that some bodies will be found...don't ask me why, it happens to me all the time...It's like somehow they have heighten senses and visuals that can see through some walls :(

It's a frequent occurrence on maps with multi-level architecture and thin walls or semi-transparent railings. You either have to drag bodies as far away as possible, or be extra careful. Also, as far as I can tell, it happens only with noises, visual distractions (like peeking from cover) shouldn't trigger this glitch. Plus, it's a good reason to beat the mission perfectly :)

slackie
3rd Nov 2011, 17:09
It's a frequent occurrence on maps with multi-level architecture and thin walls or semi-transparent railings. You either have to drag bodies as far away as possible, or be extra careful. Also, as far as I can tell, it happens only with noises, visual distractions (like peeking from cover) shouldn't trigger this glitch. Plus, it's a good reason to beat the mission perfectly :)

what's the distance I need to keep in order to exploit the visual distraction? I find that if I'm very near a guard, peeking from cover will trigger him into hostile mode immediately.

Also, for these stage that has enemies in constant alert mode, I try not to break any walls..again, somehow bodies get found, no matter how hard we hide them
On hindside, I find that the noise feedback and the other augs in the stealth enhancer are one of the most under-rated augs in the game. l find the the noise feedback a very useful tool for DTD.

gyron
3rd Nov 2011, 18:41
what's the distance I need to keep in order to exploit the visual distraction? I find that if I'm very near a guard, peeking from cover will trigger him into hostile mode immediately.
Take the Mark&Track aug, then experiment a bit. If memory serves me well, minimum spotting distance is 18 meters, less than 5 meters will make them go hostile immediately.

jeyeichkey
3rd Nov 2011, 20:26
@slackie

I would have done the same, hiding the bodies. But if I had made a vid out of it I would have cut that out from the rest of the story with a possible note that that was what I was doing. :^)

slackie
5th Nov 2011, 15:31

Managed to beat it under 8 minutes actually. So long I don't break and walls in that mission, I won't have a lot of crap to deal with.

Uploading the vid now ;P

slackie
6th Nov 2011, 18:05
Part 1
XxXp2C_DLqE

Part 2
FnP2JEn6dVE

Part 3
KOXeqypDCdo

gyron
6th Nov 2011, 19:23
That's nice, but I just beat it in 12 minutes :cool:

I did it in segments, of course, and ate candy like crazy (17 cells recharged).
1) Courtyard+Biotech: 4:30
2) From Microgen to upload: 5:40
3) From upload to last DTD: 1:55

Doing Biotech first and Microgen second saved ~5 minutes. I didn't hack or collect anything (+1 min). Didn't hide most of the bodies (+1 min). Paired different soldiers in Microgen without moving crates (+1 min). Used the underground passage to the courtyard (+1 min).

Also got lucky with last 3 guys (took out the sneaker with soldier on the left without distractions):

http://s7.postimage.org/3thk2z2p7/DXHR_DTG_OR_3soldiers.jpg

junco577
7th Nov 2011, 00:17
Good videos, thanks for putting them up. I'll admit I only watched the last one so far, don't have a ton of time atm.

One thing you can do to help get back and overtake Gyron's time in that last video, is there's a crate or box or some object (don't remember what, not in game atm) that you can hide behind right next to the door that opens for the guards after you upload the virus.

As soon as you upload it, run out to take cover from the opening door there, before the guards start. Let the first two pass, then TD the third. The guards spawn/run in slightly randomly, so you might have to reload once or twice to get their timing right but I did it with very little hassle. As soon as the last guard through the door is down, turn on silent movement and sprint to catch up with the other two. You'll need to eat a little, but no cloak needed. I caught them together for a DTD right at the mouth of the tunnel. So just about over 30 seconds from uploading the virus til all men down without any special tricks/luring/blocking.

gyron
7th Nov 2011, 02:38
@junco577: The point of letting these 3 guys run away is to perform additional DTD in the courtyard. As you can see in screenshot above there is another enemy nearby (in NE corner on radar). Both slackie and me take down 2 out of 3 guys somewhere before they separate and let one of the soldiers to run away so he can get close to the lone enemy for DTD.

slackie
7th Nov 2011, 04:46
@junco577: The point of letting these 3 guys run away is to perform additional DTD in the courtyard. As you can see in screenshot above there is another enemy nearby (in NE corner on radar). Both slackie and me take down 2 out of 3 guys somewhere before they separate and let one of the soldiers to run away so he can get close to the lone enemy for DTD.

Those 3 are the pain in the butt. I find that it tends not to bug out if u don't tail them so tightly (as in getting stuck or sneaker too far from the other 2)

imported_BoB_
7th Nov 2011, 06:43
As soon as you upload it, run out to take cover from the opening door there, before the guards start. Let the first two pass, then TD the third. The guards spawn/run in slightly randomly, so you might have to reload once or twice to get their timing right but I did it with very little hassle. As soon as the last guard through the door is down, turn on silent movement and sprint to catch up with the other two. You'll need to eat a little, but no cloak needed. I caught them together for a DTD right at the mouth of the tunnel. So just about over 30 seconds from uploading the virus til all men down without any special tricks/luring/blocking.

Actually, you can double takedown the first two as they run if you stay to the left of the door, the third one won't see you and you can takedown him when he gets scared and starts to look around (or you can throw the fire extinguisher near him if you don't want to wait), you don't need any augs at all (except the double takedown one, obviously)
I strafe continuously to the left when I do that, for not being spotted by the first guard, but I'm not even sure it's necessary.

If you don't want to do two double takedowns that is.

gyron
7th Nov 2011, 17:57
My take on Omega Ranch level:

aGE3SB7hByo

Total time is 10:10 (could be further improved by 20-30 seconds). 20 cells recharged (I've had 81 spare cells at the start) — which is a lot. Obviously, the whole game cannot be played on this speed with such high level of expenditures, but for the sake of the record I think it's fine.

jeyeichkey
7th Nov 2011, 19:29
@gyron

*opens door* "Yeah..?" *knock down* hehee..
That was fun to watch. It's quite the small place when one watches someone rush through it like that.

gyron
7th Nov 2011, 19:49
Heh, in these DTD/speedrun videos I imagine Jensen as a sociopathic postman: "Excuse me, dear Sirs, I have a package for you, " – "Yes, what is it?" – *PUNCH* – "Sorry, gotta run! 3 more to deliver..."

jeyeichkey
7th Nov 2011, 20:09
"Speeeedooograaaam!" *punch, kick, throw*

Yeah, he could definitly be something like that, if he wore a hat. Maybe that's his job on the side? ;^P

slackie
8th Nov 2011, 02:04
My take on Omega Ranch level:

aGE3SB7hByo

Total time is 10:10 (could be further improved by 20-30 seconds). 20 cells recharged (I've had 81 spare cells at the start) — which is a lot. Obviously, the whole game cannot be played on this speed with such high level of expenditures, but for the sake of the record I think it's fine.

hehe, very nice and you got lucky at the end with the 3 runners, I did ever encounter situation where the first 2 guard doesn't separate enough or close enough to the sneaker for like 10 reloads straight.

20 cells recharged, that's good enough to do a candy bar ad :P

gyron
8th Nov 2011, 09:17
hehe, very nice and you got lucky at the end with the 3 runners, I did ever encounter situation where the first 2 guard doesn't separate enough or close enough to the sneaker for like 10 reloads straight.
With these 3 runners I've had the same bad results after 5 retries. But quitting the game and then reloading the save made them line up perfectly on first try. I guess that random number generator is somehow involved here...

BTW, will you do another level? You know, I've skipped the Panchea on my G/DTD run (simply sneaked around the crazies) – wanna try it? ;)

jeyeichkey
9th Nov 2011, 19:21
Oh, please, please do that! Does crazies are just damn scary. I would love to see them being taken down in DTD :^D