PDA

View Full Version : Questions for experienced DXHR players

Malovane
31st Oct 2011, 19:26
Hello, I've been intrigued about DXHR ever since I heard they were making a sequel to the game I loved from a decade ago. I don't play games all that often, maybe 2 - 3 a year, but after a friend showed me some of those youtube walkthrough videos (one without a blabbering bloke), I am distracted. I just have some questions for those who have some experience with it:

- How long is the game, would you estimate, for a player who is an anal-retentive explorer who likes to touch everything, read every text, talk to everyone, and do all side quests?

- Is there any expected future patches for the PC version?

- Is there a long list of DLC coming down the pipe?

- How are the philosophical/metaphysical elements of the story? Does DXHR make one think deeply about the quandaries involved with transhumanism, artificial intelligence, whether there is such a thing as the human spirit/soul?

Agent Denton
31st Oct 2011, 21:04
- 20 - 30 hours
-not sure played on PS3
-just the missing link and the pre order paks
-you will have to see for yourself but I can tell you, if you liked the first DX, then will not be disappointed.

jeyeichkey
31st Oct 2011, 21:08
You'll definatley want to play this game. If you enjoyed Deus Ex, then more than yes.
I can't say I'm all that experienced. I'm kind of like you, I don't play all that many games, and the games I play I tend to play alot.

I would say it takes a couple of days if you want to make everything just right, and to read everything, and to dicover every hidden place, and or just walk back and forth through the streets and just enjoying the scenery. I think I played DX:HR over a period of 7-8 days. Of course, I had work to do too so there were not play all day long (definatley not night).

Patches, I'm not familiar with PC since I play console (PS).

DLC, at least three, at the moment if I'm not misstaken. You can read about them on www.deusex.com

I would say that there is alot of deep thinking into the matter of transhumanism versus purists. How far into evolution should humans really dig? And of course, the conspiracy. What forces are really brewing under the surface? Mmmm, just loving it :^)

Darthassin
1st Nov 2011, 06:44
- first playthrough: 40+ hours if you want to explore the world as much as possible (and you will still miss a lot of things)
- don't know (propably yes)
- so far 2 small weapon packs and one VERY good DLC (don't know about the future but I think there will be at least one more)

I would highly recommend this game. It's really oldschool, deep and awasome at the same time!

gwlaw99
1st Nov 2011, 21:31
Hello, I've been intrigued about DXHR ever since I heard they were making a sequel to the game I loved from a decade ago. I don't play games all that often, maybe 2 - 3 a year, but after a friend showed me some of those youtube walkthrough videos (one without a blabbering bloke), I am distracted. I just have some questions for those who have some experience with it:

- How long is the game, would you estimate, for a player who is an anal-retentive explorer who likes to touch everything, read every text, talk to everyone, and do all side quests?

- How are the philosophical/metaphysical elements of the story? Does DXHR make one think deeply about the quandaries involved with transhumanism, artificial intelligence, whether there is such a thing as the human spirit/soul?

1. 45 hours for me, but I really like to take my time with everything.
2. I guess, but for what?
3. No idea about DLC.
4. There is certainly a lot in the story about whether humans should augment themselves or not and some on artificial intelligence, but don't expect any high level philosophical debates on whether there is such a thing as a soul.

It's a very good game, but maybe not a classic. A lot of fun. Probably the best game I have played since Fallout 3.

ZakKa89
1st Nov 2011, 21:56
Max Payne 3 screens (http://www.gamersyde.com/news_4_new_screens_of_max_payne_3-12146_en.html)

Syndicate screens (http://www.gamersyde.com/news_new_screens_of_syndicate-12142_en.html)

Max looks good in that first pic, sexy suit. Syndicate looks really good.

Rockn-Roll
2nd Nov 2011, 01:27
Malovane...if you loved the original Deus Ex then you will want to play Human Revolution. Eidos Montreal did a stellar job on it...many of the situations are reminiscent of the original...they even threw in some of the original lines at the beginning to get our Deus Ex mind-set back together. It really felt like the original, but with a lot more polish than the original. Replayability is excellent...I can see playing through every few months and try to get those last few achievements...for like the next 10 years.

My first time through I must have spent about 40 hours. But, I now have 212 hours on record...and I'm still finding new stuff.

I'm playing on the PC and it's all patched up already...runs smoothly for me...the secret, as with any game which pushes the technology, is to go with the recommended settings...increasing shadows and such will just cause poor performance. I'd say that only a handful of people in the world have a gaming rig that can run DX:HR with everything turned all the way up. Even my 3.33Ghz i7 and 6Gigs of triple buffered DDR4 RAM with nVidia GTX560 and 1Gig of GDDR5 memory can't handle soft shadows well enough to avoid stutter and graphics lag...I have to keep it on Normal shadows to keep the play smooth.

Just like everyone else said...Missing Link DLC is excellent...well worth playing. I have not heard of any plans for another DLC, but I hope they give it a shot.

And, there is a lot of philosophical nuance in the game if you look for it...toward the end it actually comes down to some pretty hard choices about ethical indications of cybernetic evolution.

pukster
2nd Nov 2011, 01:32

-20-50 hours
-No
-Yes
-Bad.No, No, No

Zoet
2nd Nov 2011, 02:30
@ Malovane:
I don't buy that many games per year either, but those I do buy I choose pretty carefully.
playtime: I explored pretty much everything I could (although I'm sure I've missed quite a few little details, and the game took me about a month to complete playing a couple of hours every evening when I could manage to commandeer the TV. However, that playtime was probably added to by dying a lot.

DLC: I hope and assume so...

Philosophy: Hard to say. I certainly found quite a bit of philosophical stuff in it, but at the time I was also researching 'the utopian mythology of cyberspace' for a uni essay and I might have been projecting that onto it, and looking at it in relation to various philosophical perspectives. So perhaps there is not much actual philosophising in the game... but I'm still thinking about whether Adam is a traditional presentation or a subversion of the hyper-masculine cyborg as found in Robocop, and how it relates to postmodernism etc... :nut:

pukster
2nd Nov 2011, 05:22
If you think games like Modern Warfare or Bioshock are 'philosophical', then yes. But it's no Animal Farm or I, Claudius

jeyeichkey
2nd Nov 2011, 08:30
Aww.. you guys must have scared her away ;^)

ZakKa89
2nd Nov 2011, 08:33
Wrong thread?

Woops yeah :p

Rottiger
2nd Nov 2011, 10:13
- I dunno. Game took about 30 hours, however, I didn't found even 50% of all goodies.

- Hope so.

- I hope so. There was 3 unreleased city hubs. I hope they'll be released sooner or later, and they'll fit into original game. Not like the standalone 'Missing Link', that cannot be played during walkthrough of otiginal game.

- Not so deeply, as I hoped.

However, I enjoyed the game. Eidos proved their talent. Even if look at the size of content, that wasn't released.
(Sorry for my bad English).