PDA

View Full Version : Help needed on Windows 7 - 64bit and old Tomb Raider games

Steel
30th Oct 2011, 19:19
Hello peeps,

My first time here and I cat find any tech pages for Tomb Raider.
Question is very simple. Cant play/install my old Tomb Raider games on my windows7 64bit system.
It simply refuses service on installing stating I need "help".
Very common remark when it comes to windows but that's water under the bridge I suppose.

Anyway, someone got a solution to this problem? Installing games under W7/64bit?

Would appreciate any good help

Treeble
30th Oct 2011, 21:34
I have a W7 64bit machine since May but still haven't gotten around to installing all Tomb Raider games on it.

I have had Legend running since I got it (mostly to test the Next Gen content), and a couple of months back I managed to successfully install and run Tomb Raider. It wasn't working properly until I bought a Glidos license, and I haven't had reasons to regret paying for it yet (though that being said, I only played up to the Lost Valley).

I also can run TRLE games, they're based off the Tomb Raider IV engine but the only ones I've played so far where all patched executables.

Steel
1st Nov 2011, 20:45
Grateful for the tip on Glidos but...........

It still doesn't solve my problems with installing.
Got Glidos now but cant install so I am back at square one.
Trying to install Unfinished Business but keep getting the message install is not compatible with 64bit

Steel
2nd Nov 2011, 12:47
Ok, been waiting a few days now to find out if someone from Eidos would be willing to provide a answer to my reasonable question.:scratch:

As I see it now there very happy to collect my money when it comes to new games but there franticly unwilling to provide support on old games versus new systems.:mad2:
That, in my book, makes them a user unfriendly company witch will be something I will keep in mind when I buy new games.
They provide a series but wont provide service to keep it running. The minimum they should do is provide tools so you would be able to install the stuff. On that way leave it to you to use the tools available inside windows to run under old modes.

I say this knowing for a fact that Eidos does have older games that you still can install using above options for running them. Seems an impossible task when it comes to Tomb Raider.

Treeble
2nd Nov 2011, 13:44
You're not trying to install TR1 through the "correct" way, I hope. If you're trying to install it directly from CD you'll not get anywhere, unfortunately. The developer of Glidos offers a pre-configured installation file (http://www.glidos.net/install.html?lang=en), you should be able to get it working with that.

I am sorry you feel that way about Eidos. You're not wrong, but if you look around you'll see that most of the support for non-current releases comes from the users themselves. I hope you'll not give up on this just yet. In fact, I'll try getting the other games running today and let you know how it goes.

One other thing that just came to my mind is that some fans have also developed a "multipatcher" tool of sorts, supposedly it helps setting up all the games on new machines but I have not tried it myself so can't vouch for it. If you'd like to want to have a shot, check here (http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/windows7/index.html).

Steel
2nd Nov 2011, 15:00
I used the Glidos way and didn't get anywhere. Just a fault message.
As they stated I should be able to run the game with a spinning logo but nothing.
So I am just as far as in the beginning. At point blank.

Driber
2nd Nov 2011, 16:27
Ok, been waiting a few days now to find out if someone from Eidos would be willing to provide a answer to my reasonable question.:scratch:

As I see it now there very happy to collect my money when it comes to new games but there franticly unwilling to provide support on old games versus new systems.:mad2:
That, in my book, makes them a user unfriendly company witch will be something I will keep in mind when I buy new games.

A bit quick to jump to that conclusion, isn't it, Steel?

Please be aware that this is a discussion forum, not technical support. Eidos tech support employees don't monitor this forum.

For the official tech support channel, go here: http://forums.eidosgames.com/faq.php#faq_techsupport

Steel
2nd Nov 2011, 16:40
Its an Eidos forum provided by Eidos so they should monitor it.
Also they do not provide support on old games as I stated before so the link you provided is useless.

To get back on topic. I changed the Dos setting from the V32 one to the Dosbox and it works now.

Treeble
2nd Nov 2011, 17:15
I said I'd try getting the other games running and let you know how it went, here I am. I played through the first half hour of each of the games to make sure they were working. I'm not a computer newbie, but I can't really say I'm intimate with W7, so hopefully you'll manage to get things running properly as well.

Tomb Raider I and Unfinished Business run just find on my end, using Glidos (and DosBox as well). I had to redownload the Windows Essentials Codec Pack, some other software I installed after setting the game up might have changed something there, but after that it booted up and played perfectly fine.

Tomb Raider II and The Golden Mask didn't need any tweaks at all. I have an old issue with FMVs though (same as I had with my previous WXP machine), the Windows title bars show up with them and ruin the effect, but that's minor: the game is perfectly playable.

Tomb Raider III, The Lost Artifact, The Last Revelation didn't need any tweaks either and played perfectly, no issues whatsoever with FMVs either. I was actually surprised that The Last Revelation didn't need any fix, I remember it had painfully slow loading times with its original files under WXP.

Tomb Raider Chronicles, however, will not start unless its using the default settings. I suspect it's an issue with the FMVs, if I enter the game and push it to its highest resolution, it will remain stable until the next FMV loads. Not sure what to do about this, but as I plan to play the games in order of release before TOMB RAIDER hits, I'll leave this as is for now.

I am actually surprised with how little trouble I had running the games, it was such a massive headache doing this back on my WXP machine. I honestly hope you'll sort things out, I'll leave this link (http://www.tombraiderhub.com/faq/index.html) here as I have no idea what else to suggest. Best of luck!

Steel
2nd Nov 2011, 18:21
Thanks allot Treeble for your help.
Really outstanding.