PDA

View Full Version : Will there be more DLC after Missing Link?

WraithBringer
28th Oct 2011, 01:26
I was astonished as how good Missing Link is, real value for money, shocked I was to find you can save the scientists and prisoners etc. It's the best piece of DLC I think I have bought yet.

My question is, now Missing Link is out, is that it? Will we get some more storyline missions? Perhaps another add-on? Maybe a DLC with Jensens activities until Deus Ex 4 comes out? Whatever it is, I hope they do make more.

Imp of the Perverse
29th Oct 2011, 20:00
Agreed, I thought The Missing Link felt more polished than most of the main game, and had a more compelling story. I'm sure they'll come out with more, they've captured a lot of people's attention by producing a great game, it'd be a mistake not to capitalize on that. As for what I'd like to see in a DLC, my first choice would be a separate DLC for each of the game's four endings so that you could explore the consequences of your final decision in some detail. Either that, or a deeper investigation into Adam's past.

Rainbow6Team
29th Oct 2011, 23:24
Hell NO

TML may be a good dlc but no more after that.

Where's the next DLC gonna come from?The next Deus Ex game being made where alot of stuff is cut out?

No more dlc,save all the content for the sequel.

Imp of the Perverse
30th Oct 2011, 07:15
I think, with what the developers have probably learned from this most recent release, that the next game in the series has the potential to be epic. Better to save that for a sequel to the final game (as much as I'd like to see a modern rehash of the original) than to waste it on the few years between HR an the original. That gap could easily be filled out by DLC.

jeyeichkey
30th Oct 2011, 09:27
I would like more. I like the setting, the different playstyles, and the characters with the augmentations. I haven't got tired of this at all yet. Still playing and will probably do that for the rest of the year. Next year? We'll see. :^)

Kalian
30th Oct 2011, 13:04
Would rather love to see a new game Deus Ex 4 ;)

drunkrussian9
30th Oct 2011, 13:21
I think, with what the developers have probably learned from this most recent release, that the next game in the series has the potential to be epic. Better to save that for a sequel to the final game (as much as I'd like to see a modern rehash of the original) than to waste it on the few years between HR an the original. That gap could easily be filled out by DLC.
Ehh, iono. They'd be starting all over again if they did a sequel to IW, and a lot of gamers would be lost as DXHR was their first DX experience. Besides, what's wrong with overlapping time frames into DX1? We can continue to play as Adam and get to see DX1 from a totally different perspective.

zenstar
30th Oct 2011, 13:49
At the very end of the credits for TML there was some text saying something along the lines of "we're just getting started."
Seems to hint at more DLC or a sequel.

Geralt z Rivii
30th Oct 2011, 16:42
Would like to see a big expansion.

Imp of the Perverse
31st Oct 2011, 18:54
@ drunkrussian9

That's a good point about most players being in the dark if DX4 picked up after Invisible War. I also think the current Hydra/OCM storyline is interesting enough that it needs to be resolved, and since I can't remember any mention of it in Invisible War it would need to be wrapped up before DX1. My main reason for thinking it could be handled by DLC is that it wouldn't require any of the major changes to game mechanic, technology, environments, and resources that you'd usually see from one sequel to the next. The state of augs, gameplay, and the level of technology of the settings wouldn't need to change much. A post IW sequel though would see a switch to nano-augs, new factions, and more futuristic gadgets and architecture, requiring a lot of new resources, which could better be done in a full sequel. I'm sure they could come up with a story that stands up well enough on its own, maybe set in a world shaped by the changes of Invisible War but not necessarily sharing the same exact characters and story arc. Any necessary information could be presented in some introductory cutscenes, similar to the ones that opened up HR.

Agent Denton
31st Oct 2011, 19:05
In all honesty I would rather see like a Director's cut even if the boss fights have to be moved around so they can develop the characters a little more. Stick in all the hubs that were cut and gimme ma damn full game already!!!! :D

Knifegash
31st Oct 2011, 19:33
**spoilers for TML*

I know there's going to be a post-campaign DLC. When Quinn is talking to Janus at the end, Quinn mentions that ''provided Jensen survives'', he'll be able to find him and recruit him into what is obviously the NSF. The way my quote is phrased, it's evidently referring to the multiple choices at the end of the game, and how one ending kills you. I speculate that there will be at the very least one more DLC that takes place after the fact, where you wrap up the loose ends, because there are very many of those.

Locutus of BORG
1st Nov 2011, 02:03
^I took from that that there would be a sequel to DXHR, rather than a post-campaign DLC.

Ever since ME2's Arrival, the idea of post-campaign DLC brings me nothing but sorrow.

Knifegash
1st Nov 2011, 02:09
There already is a sequel, it's called Deus Ex. Unless they actually go and make another prequel, which has the potential of being as confusing as the Devil May Cry series. There has to be a DLC to bridge the gap from this into DX1.

pukster
1st Nov 2011, 05:44
DLCs are basically a means of printing money.

jeyeichkey
1st Nov 2011, 07:55
And we fall for it e-v-e-r-y-t-i-m-e ;^)

Jibbajabba
1st Nov 2011, 08:20
D-Project / Bob anyone ?

DXeXodus
1st Nov 2011, 08:27
I am confidently assuming that there will be more DLC to come.

Imp of the Perverse
1st Nov 2011, 17:31
There are some obvious DLC cash grabs (DA2's item packs, and their week-after-releasing-the-main-game dlc come to mind) but it isn't all bad. The fact that most of the resources have already been produced means they can release stuff within a few months, rather than the few years it takes to make another full game. If the main game is good, I'd rather get new content sooner than later.

gwlaw99
1st Nov 2011, 21:24
I wouldn't mind more DLC do I can get them all for $10 on steam 8 months from now. Too long a wait for DX 4 to not have more DLC.

Rockn-Roll
2nd Nov 2011, 01:36
Dues Ex: Human Revolution is a very excellent platform...it would be a shame to not develop another DLC for it. Every time a developer starts on a new full game they want to modify the game engine or add something that nobody else has done...and it delays the game by years sometimes. A DLC could be put together in less than 6 months with just 3 or 4 mappers, 2 or 3 graphic artists, 1 or 2 story writers, and just 1 programmer to implement some tools and perhaps a tweak here and there. That would cost...what...about 1 million dollars at the most? I'm sure Missing Link has made that much already. And, if nothing else...in this failing economy it would at least give some talented developers a job for another 6 months.

Markos1981
2nd Nov 2011, 18:16
I was astonished as how good Missing Link is, real value for money, shocked I was to find you can save the scientists and prisoners etc. It's the best piece of DLC I think I have bought yet.

My question is, now Missing Link is out, is that it? Will we get some more storyline missions? Perhaps another add-on? Maybe a DLC with Jensens activities until Deus Ex 4 comes out? Whatever it is, I hope they do make more.

I really hope there will be more dlc content like the "missing link". I´am sure I´am not the only one who would love to go to "upper hengsha" and the other planed places for deus ex3. Please!!!!!!!!!

Agent Denton
2nd Nov 2011, 21:54
I really hope there will be more dlc content like the "missing link". I´am sure I´am not the only one who would love to go to "upper hengsha" and the other planed places for deus ex3. Please!!!!!!!!!

As long as EM takes into account what I did with Adam leading up tot that point I could care less. After having played The Missing Link, I was disappointed that my choices leading up to that event were not taken into consideration. I think EM copped out by letting you 'rebuild' Adam's augs.

Solidino
3rd Nov 2011, 23:35
I am confidently assuming that there will be more DLC to come.

other 2 big cities + missing link + new clothes and weapons (XD) + final BIG DLC with shooting fireworks

all this stuffs playable in main story, not separately in a future GOTY edition....

it would be a miracle.

zenstar
4th Nov 2011, 10:08
I wouldn't mind playing some other characters in the same universe.
The whole universe is interesting and the story can make a nice backdrop to all sorts of interesting tales.
Plus new characters give a chance to introduce new augs.
Australia is having a war at the moment - splinter cell style covert ops?
Belltower must have some heros working for it - a good cop fighting against his superiors?
The harvesters / Tong may be thugs but they're also working against a corrupt police force - a gangster with a heart of gold?
There's an entire world they could play with here. And not every character needs to be aug'ed to the gills like AJ (although the focus would likely be an aug'ed character since that's a major hook of the game / engine).

Vozlov
4th Nov 2011, 10:09
Personally I want to see a downloadable expansion to Human Revolution. It needs to have the Montreal hub added back into the game, have it set before Adam goes into Picus as a mini hub where the main objective is to get access to Picus ( codes to land on the roof ), with three or four added secondary missions.

Also add Upper Heng Sha in either the same or as a seperate package. Have it set during the mission to find Sevchenko before we are sent to the docks by Tong. The mission itself could be to find out more about Belltower, breaking into their main eastern headquarters, and could allude to more of the back story of the emerging MJ12 and point to the Omega Ranch and Panchea, giving the seemingly rushed ending more depth. Have a few secondary missions here too, with one perhaps aiding a defecting scientist. ( working on DE1 'like' bots? Pre-Grey death virus? )

It could also be used to give more use for the weapons found later in the game. I'd also like to see Panchea added to, with unaffected Belltower special ops trying to stop you, as well as dealing with the infected themselves.

That would be the best use of this games potential imo, and flesh out the game more, especially towards the end. I'd buy them all for the same price as Missing Link.

kooaznboi1088
5th Nov 2011, 02:04
I would also like to see a big expansion. Maybe tell us what happened leading up to the D-Project?

Romeo
5th Nov 2011, 18:27
God I hope there's more. Missing Link rocked some serious socks.

Pinky_Powers
5th Nov 2011, 21:32
God I hope there's more. Missing Link rocked some serious socks.

Are you saying it ravaged you like a savage on his wedding night?

That sounds... hot!

Romeo
6th Nov 2011, 03:10
Hehe. It was pretty damn good DLC, don't you think? Took every part of Human Revolution, and fixed the things that were wrong (Most of them) and improved upon those that already worked. Very impressed.

Saerain
6th Nov 2011, 06:23
Hell NO

TML may be a good dlc but no more after that.

Where's the next DLC gonna come from?The next Deus Ex game being made where alot of stuff is cut out?

No more dlc,save all the content for the sequel. Somehow, I'd always assumed that any sequel to DX:HR would bring in a new protagonist, rather than going the Metal Gear/Mass Effect route and making one character the Second Coming. So my hope has been that they tie up Jensen with DLC.

Romeo
6th Nov 2011, 06:46
Aye, I agree with that too. We've had a unique protagonist in each game, however, all bound by certain lineage (Adam's DNA seems to be the root of JC, who himself is the base of the Alex clone). I'd like to see that trend continue. References to any existing characters (Adam, JC, Alex) are AOK in my books though.

One spot I do disagree with you though is in wrapping up Adam's story. I'd almost like it to remain unfinished; To not get closure. I want Adam's actions, life and whereabouts post-Panchaea to remain a mystery. Maybe reference it, or have him briefly cameo in an easter egg. Just don't put the final nail in the coffin.

Zoet
6th Nov 2011, 06:59
Aye, I agree with that too. We've had a unique protagonist in each game, however, all bound by certain lineage (Adam's DNA seems to be the root of JC, who himself is the base of the Alex clone). I'd like to see that trend continue. References to any existing characters (Adam, JC, Alex) are AOK in my books though.

One spot I do disagree with you though is in wrapping up Adam's story. I'd almost like it to remain unfinished; To not get closure. I want Adam's actions, life and whereabouts post-Panchaea to remain a mystery. Maybe reference it, or have him briefly cameo in an easter egg. Just don't put the final nail in the coffin.

I have to say that I disagree. I liked Adam quite a lot, and most of all, I want to see some resolution to his story. Although, if they did wrap up his story with DLC, I suppose I could live with a different protagonist in any sequels ;)

Romeo
6th Nov 2011, 07:08
I have to say that I disagree. I liked Adam quite a lot, and most of all, I want to see some resolution to his story. Although, if they did wrap up his story with DLC, I suppose I could live with a different protagonist in any sequels ;)
I'm glad that you do, it's what makes the forums worth coming too! As to the point, I really like Jensen as a character (I'd go so far as to call him my favourite protagonist in the series so far), however, I like the games to be a "fresh slate", which can usually only be accomplished with a new protagonist. I also like learning about new characters. Personal taste.

I almost wonder if we should have a poll about whether to keep or leave Jensen for the next Deus Ex... :D

Praedor
8th Nov 2011, 15:12
Ehh, iono. They'd be starting all over again if they did a sequel to IW, and a lot of gamers would be lost as DXHR was their first DX experience. Besides, what's wrong with overlapping time frames into DX1? We can continue to play as Adam and get to see DX1 from a totally different perspective.

One way or another, given the LONG period of time that has passed since DX1, DE:HR needs to be handled as a restart of the game/series and DX 1 needs a modern do-over. I played DX 1 when it was shiny and brand new. It was a "wow" at the time with the graphics and world and gameplay being state-of-the-art but it is SERIOUSLY dated now. To the extent of being virtually unplayable/intolerable. I've tried twice to replay DX1 and I just cannot get past the training part at the beginning. The graphics are too crude by today's standards and come off barely better than the original Doom II. DE:HR needs to be the (re)start of the series and DX 1 to come as second (or third) in the new series. I got to liking playing as Jensen quite a bit and wouldn't mind somehow continuing in his shoes for a sequel but one way or another DX 1 needs to be redone with a state-of-the-art game engine (graphics, physics) and a bit more refinement of the original story.

Vozlov
8th Nov 2011, 16:36
Disagree.

Past being able to aim down the sights of weapons I don't think that game needs to be remade in the slightest. If there were to be a HD texture remake ( downloadable on PSN and Live as well as PC ) with perhaps newer models for the characters and weapons then I'd be all for it.

Past that there isn't anything you could add without taking away more. Whilst fully remaking the game would innevitably be a waste of time and resources, panned by the original fans whilst being underappreciated by new ones.

Praedor
8th Nov 2011, 16:56
NO one today plays the original Deus Ex. The NEW gamers who came to DE via DE:HR will never play the old and crude DX1. Soon, that original DX1 wont even play on modern computers.

It needs a do-over with modern graphics to make it playable and enjoyable TODAY. As I said, I was there to play the original when it was new. It was good for its time but trying to play it now...just can't do it. I HATE crude old centipede games, pong, etc, even Doom (the original) because I cannot stand the crude graphics. A LOT of people feel this way and will never ever play ancient games so a LOT of people will be playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution without ever playing (or even trying to) the original. It needs a modern do-over to bring it up to modern tech standards. Not much else needs to change (the story, most of the dialog) but it could do with MORE dialog, good cut scenes, proper physics - all things that only modern game engines do well. Sprites suck.

Ashpolt
8th Nov 2011, 17:23
NO one today plays the original Deus Ex.

I do. And I know a number of people on this forum do. And we still enjoy it today, regardless of the dated graphics.

Regardless, even though people such as you exist who can't look past dated graphics, that doesn't mean the original Deus Ex needs to be remade: they can simply keep on creating new games. They're never going to create a new game for which it is essential to know the plot of the original Deus Ex, so people are never going to need to play it to get into the series.

If they absolutely must revisit that time period, it'd be much better to create a new storyline set parallel to / near to the original game. It could give new players all the context they need to understand the references in DXHR, while still providing new content for long time fans of the series.

Or, alternatively, they could just keep creating new games while providing the necessary (albeit minimal) exposition.

Sprites suck.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

[EDIT] Also, Deus Ex needs "proper cut scenes" like an eskimo needs a fridge.

Reven
8th Nov 2011, 17:38
Also worth a quick mention is that modern devs would no doubt start taking large artistic liberties with the originals design. And then of course comes the streamlining and shoehorning of concepts that would not suit the overall style of the game very well or even date it quickly.

Praedor
8th Nov 2011, 18:31
Also worth a quick mention is that modern devs would no doubt start taking large artistic liberties with the originals design. And then of course comes the streamlining and shoehorning of concepts that would not suit the overall style of the game very well or even date it quickly.

This is always the way it is with games. A core subset of users screams bloody murder if the ancient original version is redone or if a movie is announced. Saw this in the Mass Effect forums concerning the announced movie. People were getting unaccountably upset that THEIR version of the game (THEIR character, THEIR choices in game) wouldn't end up being used in the movie. They demanded that NO movie be made at all (if it wouldn't fit their take on it).

Boohoo. A game developer (the people, not the company) has every right and expectation that they be allowed to put their mark on the product. They want to put their art, their ideas into the product so that it is at least partially artistically theirs rather than just some assembly line dump. A remake of Deus Ex SHOULD have some changes made for artistic reasons and for reasons having to do with what is known about technology and science today. It can still stick faithfully to the original but then again, the only people who would get upset about any changes would be a SMALL subset of gamers who are unaccountably locked onto the original one as if it is some message produced by some god and must NOT be changed at all. Nonsense.

The game Doom got the remake treatment and the most recent iteration of it was MUCH better overall than the original. MUCH better graphics, much better game engine. It doesn't remove the ability of some odd hardcore (semi-religious) Doom types from playing and enjoying the original crude DOS version all they want. Knock yourselves out, but the newest generation of players wont do it. And no, having a fraction of a percent of the newest generation doing it does NOT mean you say, "See? New players play it! No need to do a remake!"

Hooey.

As with Mass Effect and the movie, many others in the forums (a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the actual number of game players, the vast majority of which do NOT come to any game forums) called for the movie to be about something OTHER than the actual games themselves. As with the movie for ME, so goes with DE. You cannot reasonably do something OTHER than the original DX1 (ultimately) because at the end of DX1 you made a world-effecting decision. It was THE key issue at THE key moment that must affect everything and everyone thereafter. You cannot come in with other characters and have them do anything even remotely as important or critical. All and sundry have earth-shattering, world-changing decisions to make? Really? The similar argument for the ME movie HAVING to be about the games themselves rather than side issues or stories or races, etc, was that the entire game was based on ONE person, Shepard, being at a time and place to affect EVERYTHING and EVERYBODY (like Adam and JC in DE). Nothing else can come close to comparing to that. You cannot tell the ME story without addressing the Shepard character and his actions and decisions because they overwhelm all other possible stories. Same situation with DX. Jensen is THE key character prior to the things that occurred in DX1. JC in DX1 was THE key character for everything that followed. You cannot tell any reasonable story leaving him out that deals with that period or any thereafter. Impossible, or at best, peripheral and merely fluffy filling.

So there is a self-selecting group of gamers who STILL play DX1 and a self-selecting subset of them (very very small) are in these forums. So? They are not indicative in any way, shape, or form of the vastly larger audience that played, or will play, DE:HR. The only people who would get upset by a modern remake of DX1 would be a minor subfraction of the target audience. The vast majority would be more than cool with it. It is all new to them.

Ashpolt
8th Nov 2011, 20:15
A game developer (the people, not the company) has every right and expectation that they be allowed to put their mark on the product. They want to put their art, their ideas into the product so that it is at least partially artistically theirs rather than just some assembly line dump.

And that is why you make a new game or - even better - a new IP. A remake is about anything but expressing your own artistic vision.

Romeo
8th Nov 2011, 22:47
Disagree.

Past being able to aim down the sights of weapons I don't think that game needs to be remade in the slightest. If there were to be a HD texture remake ( downloadable on PSN and Live as well as PC ) with perhaps newer models for the characters and weapons then I'd be all for it.

Past that there isn't anything you could add without taking away more. Whilst fully remaking the game would innevitably be a waste of time and resources, panned by the original fans whilst being underappreciated by new ones.
Newer graphics, updated audio, redone dialogue (Taking off the nostalgia glasses for a moment, Deus Ex had some truly awful voice-acting in a few areas), and I wouldn't argue with "more stuff" (New guns, new weapon mods, etc). Also, visual alterations with certain weapon mods, a la Human Revolution.

NO one today plays the original Deus Ex. The NEW gamers who came to DE via DE:HR will never play the old and crude DX1. Soon, that original DX1 wont even play on modern computers.

It needs a do-over with modern graphics to make it playable and enjoyable TODAY. As I said, I was there to play the original when it was new. It was good for its time but trying to play it now...just can't do it. I HATE crude old centipede games, pong, etc, even Doom (the original) because I cannot stand the crude graphics. A LOT of people feel this way and will never ever play ancient games so a LOT of people will be playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution without ever playing (or even trying to) the original. It needs a modern do-over to bring it up to modern tech standards. Not much else needs to change (the story, most of the dialog) but it could do with MORE dialog, good cut scenes, proper physics - all things that only modern game engines do well. Sprites suck.
Many members here still play the original Deus Ex, I would too were it not for what you just mentioned - my PC simply isn't able to run pretty much any game that old (I'll miss you too, Red Alert...)

While I am by no means a graphics whore, the simple fact is many people are, and you're right, wont even take a look at a game that looks as archaic as Deus Ex.

Oh dear god, I hope not. But then again, if everything is the same, I have no inspiration to buy it (Why would I buy a Halo remake? I OWN HALO STILL). For once, I find myself siding with IGN: Remakes are a bad idea.

This is always the way it is with games. A core subset of users screams bloody murder if the ancient original version is redone or if a movie is announced. Saw this in the Mass Effect forums concerning the announced movie. People were getting unaccountably upset that THEIR version of the game (THEIR character, THEIR choices in game) wouldn't end up being used in the movie. They demanded that NO movie be made at all (if it wouldn't fit their take on it).

Boohoo. A game developer (the people, not the company) has every right and expectation that they be allowed to put their mark on the product. They want to put their art, their ideas into the product so that it is at least partially artistically theirs rather than just some assembly line dump. A remake of Deus Ex SHOULD have some changes made for artistic reasons and for reasons having to do with what is known about technology and science today. It can still stick faithfully to the original but then again, the only people who would get upset about any changes would be a SMALL subset of gamers who are unaccountably locked onto the original one as if it is some message produced by some god and must NOT be changed at all. Nonsense.

The game Doom got the remake treatment and the most recent iteration of it was MUCH better overall than the original. MUCH better graphics, much better game engine. It doesn't remove the ability of some odd hardcore (semi-religious) Doom types from playing and enjoying the original crude DOS version all they want. Knock yourselves out, but the newest generation of players wont do it. And no, having a fraction of a percent of the newest generation doing it does NOT mean you say, "See? New players play it! No need to do a remake!"

Hooey.

As with Mass Effect and the movie, many others in the forums (a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the actual number of game players, the vast majority of which do NOT come to any game forums) called for the movie to be about something OTHER than the actual games themselves. As with the movie for ME, so goes with DE. You cannot reasonably do something OTHER than the original DX1 (ultimately) because at the end of DX1 you made a world-effecting decision. It was THE key issue at THE key moment that must affect everything and everyone thereafter. You cannot come in with other characters and have them do anything even remotely as important or critical. All and sundry have earth-shattering, world-changing decisions to make? Really? The similar argument for the ME movie HAVING to be about the games themselves rather than side issues or stories or races, etc, was that the entire game was based on ONE person, Shepard, being at a time and place to affect EVERYTHING and EVERYBODY (like Adam and JC in DE). Nothing else can come close to comparing to that. You cannot tell the ME story without addressing the Shepard character and his actions and decisions because they overwhelm all other possible stories. Same situation with DX. Jensen is THE key character prior to the things that occurred in DX1. JC in DX1 was THE key character for everything that followed. You cannot tell any reasonable story leaving him out that deals with that period or any thereafter. Impossible, or at best, peripheral and merely fluffy filling.

So there is a self-selecting group of gamers who STILL play DX1 and a self-selecting subset of them (very very small) are in these forums. So? They are not indicative in any way, shape, or form of the vastly larger audience that played, or will play, DE:HR. The only people who would get upset by a modern remake of DX1 would be a minor subfraction of the target audience. The vast majority would be more than cool with it. It is all new to them.
And in one gloriously short-sighted post, you've missed the reason many people dislike those "alterations": 99% of the time, they suck. You cannot dream of calling it artistic license, because everyone is so concerned with what the competition is doing, they all end up making the same god damn game. Personal touch has nothing to do with - making sure a bunch of COD-trained new players don't get frustrated is all it is. Which is what nets us things like regenerating health in every game on the planet. Third person cover, whether required or not. Cinematic moments that are so overdone they're simply cliche. These aren't unique games anymore, they're the same experiences with a different set of bad guys (Assuming they aren't the default "Russian" bad guy).

You also entirely missed why many people spoke up about the Mass Effect movie: They've played the game - a game which is known for it's choices - and wanted a different story told. It'd be like writing a book about exactly what they just saw. They don't want to re-watch Shepard's story; They want a new tale within the universe. Hence the frustration when the concept of First Contact between Turians and Humans was scrapped.

You label Doom as being vastly improved from the first release. Sure - in many ways it was. I see you a Doom remake and raise you a Goldeneye Reloaded. A game which changed it's weapons, enemies, protagonist, much of it's story and most settings. Aha, but what about the improvements they made! Unfortunately, they were buried behind a layer of regenerating health (Surprise) and cinematic events (Why melee, when you can do a SUPER SPY MOVE). Now, the main reason I had considered buying the game was going to be for the modernized controls (The N64 was not kind to shooters) and shinied-up graphics. Thank goodness I played before I bought though, because that artistic license you speak highly of utterly ruined the game. I actually enjoy the clunky-handling, box-headed enemies and lack of dialogue of the original.

In some ways, I could almost agree with you: I would love to see devellopers change things up and improve them, or at least give them their own personal touch. But the industry is simply too scared of trying anything new. What you want is a modern Deus Ex. What you'll get is Deus Ex: Modern Warfare 28.5

Ashpolt
9th Nov 2011, 00:07
Many members here still play the original Deus Ex, I would too were it not for what you just mentioned - my PC simply isn't able to run pretty much any game that old (I'll miss you too, Red Alert...)

Are you sure that's the case with Deus Ex? I'm running a quad core processor, 64 bit OS, multiple graphics cards, widescreen monitor - basically everything that should mess up old games on a system - and can run DX absolutely flawlessly, at least with Deus Exe. (http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/) Works with the Steam version too.

Go. Go and replay, my brother!

Fireisprettyful
9th Nov 2011, 00:18
i am biased but i would love to see some DLC set in australia, considering we are mentioned a few times in the newspapers in the game and we are in civil war there might be a chance i'll get my wish

Romeo
9th Nov 2011, 01:21
Are you sure that's the case with Deus Ex? I'm running a quad core processor, 64 bit OS, multiple graphics cards, widescreen monitor - basically everything that should mess up old games on a system - and can run DX absolutely flawlessly, at least with Deus Exe. (http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/) Works with the Steam version too.

Go. Go and replay, my brother!
My computer isn't all too high end (Non-clocked Phenom 955 Quad, a single 1GB/4Ghz Video card, 8Gb of RAM and a single TV as the outlet), but for some reason both it and my laptop wont recognize how to run it as a game. My Red Alert/Aftermath expansion suffer the same issue. Invisible War also wont run on my laptop for some reason. Granted, I'm trying to run all these off CD-ROM (Remember that technology? Man, thank goodness we eventually upgraded to floppy... :D)

Iz verrry frushhhhhtrating.

zenstar
9th Nov 2011, 10:56
If you're having trouble getting DX1 working (and any old DOS game) then DosBox (http://www.dosbox.com/) is probably something you want to look into. DosBox is great.
And there have been texture upgrade mods to DX1. New Vision (http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-new-vision) being the popular one.

The big problem I have with DX1 is actually the interface. It's old and clunky by modern standards.

Romeo
9th Nov 2011, 16:41
If you're having trouble getting DX1 working (and any old DOS game) then DosBox (http://www.dosbox.com/) is probably something you want to look into. DosBox is great.
And there have been texture upgrade mods to DX1. New Vision (http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-new-vision) being the popular one.

The big problem I have with DX1 is actually the interface. It's old and clunky by modern standards.
I will look in to DosBox, but the graphics aren't that big a deal to me, but I brought it up as a reason some people might not bother with Deus Ex these days. And most people don't want to have to upgrade something they just bought. It'd be like trying to sell someone a new Ferrari, and then telling them they'd have to go get bodywork done in order to make it look decent. I actually don't mind the interface, but then again, you are right: It's been a long time, improvements most certainly can and have been made.

rokstrombo
9th Nov 2011, 17:10
I'm afraid a Deus Ex re-make might suck. Many of the possible tweaks and upgrades have already been applied to newer games in various ways, and even if these changes didn't radically affect the experience of playing the game there is still no chance that the game could be novel or surprising to existing fans. Even new gamers must be getting sick of the uninspired sequels, add-ons and feature creep that is plaguing many contemporary games. For a game released in 2000 Deus Ex is perfect, and re-imagining it for 2011 would be totally lame.

zenstar
9th Nov 2011, 17:32
I'm afraid a Deus Ex re-make might suck. Many of the possible tweaks and upgrades have already been applied to newer games in various ways, and even if these changes didn't radically affect the experience of playing the game there is still no chance that the game could be novel or surprising to existing fans. Even new gamers must be getting sick of the uninspired sequels, add-ons and feature creep that is plaguing many contemporary games. For a game released in 2000 Deus Ex is perfect, and re-imagining it for 2011 would be totally lame.

I don't want deus ex reimagined personally. In fact I wouldn't mind if DX:HR was concidered a reboot of the series and we sally forth down a different path, taking some inspiration from the original games (hmm.. or maybe just game :nut:).
As long as the franchise is fun to play I will continue to play it. I don't care if it's staying true to the original or messing up the timelines. If artistic license needs to be taken to make the game more fun then I'm all for it.
For example: people complaining that barret doesn't wear a helmet but can take multiple sniper shots to the head... so what? He looks cool and acts badass. Sticking a helmet on his head will not make the game cooler to me (ignoring the boss fight arguments here on purpose. different kettle of fish).

Basically: I want fun games set in this universe. I'm happy for Eidos Montreal to make whatever decisions they need to to make more fun games. I will not be upset if that includes dropping DX1. It was a great game for its time but now I'd rather be playing HR.

joebarnin
9th Nov 2011, 17:52
I don't want deus ex reimagined personally. In fact I wouldn't mind if DX:HR was concidered a reboot of the series and we sally forth down a different path, taking some inspiration from the original games (hmm.. or maybe just game :nut:).

I concur, a reboot is probably the best path. Trying to remake DX1 is a minefield - do you do a mission-for-mission remake? That doesn't make sense, because anyone who played the first game will know the story and how to solve the missions. So already you have to deviate from the original. Just reboot the series; same universe, similar "actors" (factions, characters), similar story, but new, not a remake.

Praedor
9th Nov 2011, 18:50

Let's go on and play super low rez sprite-based games from the early 90s too with cheesy crappy midi music too. Just install another emulator. Hell, go back further and play 2D low rez sprite games for the Ti-99! Just as good as any modern game with realistic graphics and immersion.

Naw, modern graphics and physics and improved dialog would make DX1 ready for new players/today's players and still be good for the old ones. Ya'll seem to assume that there is a physical law that REQUIRES that a remake/modernization of X MUST be worse than the original, which isn't really as good as you think it is. Just nostalgia for lost youth talking.

Out of the many thousands who have downloaded and played DE:HR, a small fraction will have played (or really even know about) the original DX1. That was before their time. They will not be inclined to install emulators to play ancient games or go back and play a pathetic (by ANY of today's standards) graphics game like DX1. And as another noted, there was some bad 'acting' involved in DX1 that could do with a re-do.

And there's nothing wrong with cut scenes to tie segments of a game together or to fill in some back story or other critical information.

As for the other generic criticism about modernized games and things like regenerating health. Last I checked, that is how real life works. I hurt my shoulder last week and lo-and-behold, it fixed itself! No medkits, nothing. Cuts? Punctures? They heal right on up all on their own.

EricaLeeV
9th Nov 2011, 18:54
Let's go on and play super low rez sprite-based games from the 80s too with cheesy crappy midi music too. Just install another emulator.

Naw, modern graphics and physics and improved dialog would make DX1 ready for new players/today's players and still be good for the old ones. Ya'll seem to assume that there is a physical law that REQUIRES that a remake/modernization of X MUST be worse than the original, which isn't really as good as you think it is. Just nostalgia for lost youth talking.

I wouldn't say that. I first played the original Deus Ex about a year ago and found it quite enjoyable. The reasons why people think a remake would be a bad idea are quite justified given the state of the video game industry today.

To quote Yahtzee, it's near impossible to create a game as big as the original Deus Ex was. Everything costs so much money and time that to make a blockbuster-like remake of Deus Ex (that would do it justice) is unrealistic right now.

Praedor
9th Nov 2011, 19:06
I concur, a reboot is probably the best path. Trying to remake DX1 is a minefield - do you do a mission-for-mission remake? That doesn't make sense, because anyone who played the first game will know the story and how to solve the missions. So already you have to deviate from the original. Just reboot the series; same universe, similar "actors" (factions, characters), similar story, but new, not a remake.

I could go along with a reboot too - even to the point that the reboot doesn't have a JC Denton and the like and simply does the story stream with different characters to the (ultimate) same end.

Doing a reboot that assumes the first DX1 as is happened would be ridiculous as you simply cannot have a whole bunch of people playing THE key role in the future of humanity. Everything a bunch of different people do is to have some huge impact on the future of humanity? Conditions like that just fall out of trees like overripe apples do they?

When you set a game up so that the protagonist is THE key character in some all-encompassing, world-wide or universal outcome, you cannot reasonably create a bunch of other characters and situations that even remotely match the importance of the main character(s). Again, THAT is why doing a Mass Effect movie on some minor side-note or side character was dead out of the gates. NO ME story could be told that was of equal importance to the game trilogy story AND its Shepard character. Everything else must pale by comparison and be mere creamy filling with no nutritional value.

There is a similar major/key thread to the Deus Ex series. There is no room for equally important characters and plot points. They all MUST be peripheral and, therefore, unimportant. Thus a do-over OR a reboot of the series (ala Star Trek movies) is a good way to go. Then you CAN have new characters with key roles to play (you just have to ignore JC from the original).

Zoet
9th Nov 2011, 20:20
@Praedor: I actually do think that you can have a situation where there is another hero/plot, even when a story seemingly revolves around a singular powerful hero or group. An episode of - bear with me - Buffy The Vampire Slayer comes to mind: where unbeknown to all of the superpowered heroes, the superpowerless Xander actually saves them whilst they are in the process of saving the world. The two plots intersect, but are otherwise quite separate. Basically, that Buffy episode is something that comes to my mind when wondering how you could resolve the problem you see with stories that revolve around an incredibly important few. Basically, the world is a big place, so I don't think that it would be impossible to tell a separate story set in DX1's timeframe.

I hope that they just continue with some more prequels/DLC for now, and don't rush to get to the time of the first game too soon. The near-future of Human Revolution's 2027 is a pretty interesting place. And also because I want more DX NOW, even though that may not be the wisest thing to want quality-wise, I just can't help it. :D

junco577
9th Nov 2011, 20:26
First I'll post on topic, as I didn't see this interview (http://onlivefans.com/news/interview-with-cord-smith-director-of-marketing-at-square-enix-about-just-cause-3-more/3981/) from November 6th referenced here yet. In it Cord Smith, Director of Marketing for Square Enix, claims that there is "no words on upcoming DLC from his side." So I wouldn't expect anything right away, though that certainly doesn't rule out more DLC in the future. And I was kind of hoping for some arm-breaking, fist-eating augmented Christmas cheer. I bet Santa is immune to takedowns though.

Then diverging to non-DLC topics, specifically a DX1 remake (which I would enjoy playing very much):

I do. And I know a number of people on this forum do. And we still enjoy it today, regardless of the dated graphics.

You are right, there are a number of people who still play DX1. The problem is that this number is small, small enough to be largely irrelevant. The more relevant number is how many people in the current gaming audience have played DX1 at some point and still have a degree of familiarity with the plot and/or level design. That is a much larger number, one that will only shrink with time. Why mention this? Because the limited number of PC games that are commercially remade (Myst, Tomb Raider, Monkey Island, etc) typically have lower sales figures than fresh releases, in both # of copies sold and sale price.

My vote would be for more titles in the DX universe, but based on fresh content rather than remakes for the time being. Perhaps once the number of people familiar with the DX1 plot and/or gameplay diminishes further a remake might be more suitable. However, I find it unlikely it will be anywhere near as successful as the original DX1 release, or that of new titles continuing the story arc. And I'm all for the DX series being as successful as possible!

Romeo
9th Nov 2011, 21:55
Let's go on and play super low rez sprite-based games from the early 90s too with cheesy crappy midi music too. Just install another emulator. Hell, go back further and play 2D low rez sprite games for the Ti-99! Just as good as any modern game with realistic graphics and immersion.

Out of the many thousands who have downloaded and played DE:HR, a small fraction will have played (or really even know about) the original DX1. That was before their time. They will not be inclined to install emulators to play ancient games or go back and play a pathetic (by ANY of today's standards) graphics game like DX1. And as another noted, there was some bad 'acting' involved in DX1 that could do with a re-do.

And there's nothing wrong with cut scenes to tie segments of a game together or to fill in some back story or other critical information.

As for the other generic criticism about modernized games and things like regenerating health. Last I checked, that is how real life works. I hurt my shoulder last week and lo-and-behold, it fixed itself! No medkits, nothing. Cuts? Punctures? They heal right on up all on their own.
For one: I think you just replied to the wrong person. He was helping me get Deus Ex working on my modern PC. Which is good, because I prefer most of the "older games" (And cars, come to think of it) to their modern incarnations. The other thing he gave me was something to improve those graphics, so I don't think he's in favour of "old sprites". And the person who brought up the bad acting was me. Let's be honest: If you showed certain scenes from the original, people would think it's a comedy or parody. :D

Right, regenerating health... You repaired what I'm assuming is a pulled shoulder. Over the course of a week. Let's just see that again, because it bears repeating: One of the systems (Muscles, something that by their nature MUST repair, or you'd never be able to move by age five) in your body that was slightly harmed, healed itself over the course of 168 hours. To put that in a comparison, this would mean if Jensen sprained his shoulder while you were first starting, he'd have repaired 25% of the muscle by the time you were choosing which truth to tell humanity. Now, that was a slight injury. Do you know why the USMC have medical staff? Because bullets take alot more to heal than a pulled shoulder.

It's a terrible mechanic that eliminates the consequences of any actions taken during combat. Why hide and use ranged tactics? You're going to be back to full health in a few moments anyways. There's a reason people say it sucks - and it has a lot to do with it sucking.

Vasarto
10th Nov 2011, 01:40
Trying to play Missing link but I downloaded it on my xbox and I cant find it. Not while playing the game. Not in the start menu.

I looked all around for an hour and I downloaded it twice and Its no where to be found in game or on the start menu or in the place where my downloaded games are or anything.

Where do I find missing link and how do I play it because I played all the way through and that cannot be it.
There is NO DLC tab anywhere to be found.

Romeo
10th Nov 2011, 02:15
Trying to play Missing link but I downloaded it on my xbox and I cant find it. Not while playing the game. Not in the start menu.

I looked all around for an hour and I downloaded it twice and Its no where to be found in game or on the start menu or in the place where my downloaded games are or anything.

Where do I find missing link and how do I play it because I played all the way through and that cannot be it.
There is NO DLC tab anywhere to be found.
Don't mean to sound rude, but this does sound like you've done something wrong. In order to check, will go through the checklist:

Ok, first things first, go back to the marketplace and select Missing Link. One option should be "download again". If it's not there, you've never actually bought it.

After that, go to your memory section (On the tab that has the "Play Deus Ex" button, go all the way to the right, it'll be called "Console Settings"). Go find Deus Ex (It's alphabetical). You'll find your save games, and if you've done the above step right, a large file called Missing Link.

Now, start Deus Ex with your Xbox Live connected, and apply the update if you haven't already.

Then, simply go to the main menu, and select "DLC".

German
10th Nov 2011, 05:00
So no official word on more DLC ?

oh well one can only hope

I was pissed this didn't get nominated for GOTY

But then again VGAs are b.s. anyway, I think only 25 people vote on them

EricaLeeV
10th Nov 2011, 05:02
So no official word on more DLC ?

oh well one can only hope

I was pissed this didn't get nominated for GOTY

But then again VGAs are b.s. anyway, I think only 25 people vote on them

Every time I watch the VGA's I feel so embarrassed.

/off topic

Romeo
10th Nov 2011, 06:16
Isn't VGA a computer connection?

zenstar
10th Nov 2011, 10:19
For one: I think you just replied to the wrong person. He was helping me get Deus Ex working on my modern PC. Which is good, because I prefer most of the "older games" (And cars, come to think of it) to their modern incarnations. The other thing he gave me was something to improve those graphics, so I don't think he's in favour of "old sprites". And the person who brought up the bad acting was me. Let's be honest: If you showed certain scenes from the original, people would think it's a comedy or parody. :D

Yeah. I wasn't suggesting we all go play some old games.

Although don't get me wrong: I do like "old sprites" especially as an artistic design choice when they work properly. Something like Gemini Rue works fantastically with its intentionally old-school graphics to match its old-school point and click gameplay (I suggest checking that out if you like old style games and/or scifi settings. It's a cheap indie title).

And I enjoy old games too. Mostly because of nostalgia. I don't expect anyone who didn't grow up playing those games to enjoy playing them today because they just won't connect to them the way some of us already have conencted to them.
Hell, I play Altered Beast with a SEGA emulator I bought on Steam because it reminds me of when my dad would occasionally take me down to the local arcade with a fistfull of coins and patiently watch me run from machine to machine like I was infected with some sort of game-playing fever. And I always played Altered Beast as one of the first games when he took me there.
Altered Beast is pretty difficult to get into by today's standards. It's not very sophisticated or complex and it's hard as nails and unforgiving. It's not very pretty (although I have a fondness for the old art sometimes) and the sound effects are horrid (although at the time they were amazing). But I still love the game to pieces because it reminds me of so much.
I don't expect anyone else to like it though, unless they have their own story behind their love of the game.

Having said all that I don't want them to remake DX1 not because of nostalgia or because I don't think they could do a great job doing it but because I'd rather they spent the resources doing something new that I haven't experienced before. And also because the die-hard fans will rip apart a remake no matter how perfect it is simply because it's not an exact copy of the original binaries.
I have a copy of the original game (Steam GOTY) that I can play whenever I want. I'd rather see what interesting new things EM can do in the setting, especially if they untether themselves from DX1 by rebooting.

USER47
10th Nov 2011, 11:37
Deus Ex being a DOS game? Are you crazy?:eek:

zenstar
10th Nov 2011, 11:50
Deus Ex being a DOS game? Are you crazy?:eek:

OOh. How embarrassing. You're correct. It was a Win95 game.:whistle:
I only have the steam version now and that runs just fine in win7 so I never really thought about getting it to run without steam. DX1 was so long ago that I just assumed it was DOS.
Dosbox is still great for other old games. :lmao:

uberajnn
10th Nov 2011, 15:53
DX1 was so long ago that I just assumed it was DOS.

LoL, early onset alzheimers much? :P DX1 was waaaay past the DOS era. You know that Half-Life 1 came out in 98, right? anyways.. not flaming, just found it funny.

zenstar
10th Nov 2011, 16:51
LoL, early onset alzheimers much? :P DX1 was waaaay past the DOS era. You know that Half-Life 1 came out in 98, right? anyways.. not flaming, just found it funny.

Hehe. Win 95 was still the DOS era. It was just DOS with a nice skin over it :rasp:

Ashpolt
10th Nov 2011, 17:39
Hehe. Win 95 was still the DOS era. It was just DOS with a nice skin over it :rasp:

DX wasn't a Win 95 game either. It game out in 2000. It may have supported 95, but 98 and 2000 were both also out by the time DX launched. It's safe to say it was pretty distanced from DOS! :P

Romeo
10th Nov 2011, 17:57
Ah, that goes a long way toward's explaining why Hugo's House of Horrors is now running on my quad-core like a champ, and DX still isn't. lol

Spyhopping
10th Nov 2011, 18:39
Just finished The Missing Link and it was so thrilling I want to play it again already. Slotting it into the rest of the story adds so much fresh intrigue and depth. Would have been ideal to play it on first playthrough as part of the whole, in the right order, but it does do a good job standing alone. The ending felt nicely conclusive, and I felt it worked better to trigger thought and wrap things up than the final scenes in Panchea.

Would love to see/hear more from Adam and I can't see it happening in a sequel, so more DLC? Absolutely, I hope so. It's the right territory to add more layers to Jensen's story. I would be interested as to where they would fit it in though. Detroit to Hengsha: long haul flight adventures?

Romeo
10th Nov 2011, 19:03
Just finished The Missing Link and it was so thrilling I want to play it again already. Slotting it into the rest of the story adds so much fresh intrigue and depth. Would have been ideal to play it on first playthrough as part of the whole, in the right order, but it does do a good job standing alone. The ending felt nicely conclusive, and I felt it worked better to trigger thought and wrap things up than the final scenes in Panchea.

Would love to see/hear more from Adam and I can't see it happening in a sequel, so more DLC? Absolutely, I hope so. It's the right territory to add more layers to Jensen's story. I would be interested as to where they would fit it in though. Detroit to Hengsha: long haul flight adventures?
I love Missing Link, but I think they made the right choice making it a seperate option rather than slotting it in. If it were part of the overall story, it would be forced, rather than natural. If, for example, you use the rocket launcher and loudly go on a murderous rampage, one would expect one of the guards who left on the submarine to have alerted someone, which would mean Omega Ranch would be actively on alert, looking for you. If you stealthed your way through, sure, having them not look would make sense.

Like you said, I'd like more DLC. Perhaps we could play through the police event that eventually left to Haas' demotion and Adam's being fired?

EricaLeeV
10th Nov 2011, 19:09
Like you said, I'd like more DLC. Perhaps we could play through the police event that eventually left to Haas' demotion and Adam's being fired?

Ooooo that would be awesome. Play as neat and clean Adam Jensen again.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b45/erica_lee/normadam.png

Bad thing about that is that it will pretty much be a 3rd person cover shooter with a varied playing field, am I right?

Spyhopping
10th Nov 2011, 19:10
It could be fun to explore, but I dunno. Augs are such a huge part of the game it'd be a pity to play a boring normal human! Maybe they could explore one of the endings, pick it up as canon and go from there. Apart from the missing link and the flights, to my memory Jensen didn't really stop for a second. He didn't even get that shower when he touched down at his apartment and spoke to Sarif. Smelly bugger.

Whatever happens, once they have reaped the benefits of the content being acquirable via download, I hope they release any add ons as a collective disk pack. Not only is it nice to own a physical copy, but it's a pity to deprive people who don't have the ability to access this stuff. The adaptor I bought to get me on Xbox live cost more than the second hand console itself.

Romeo
10th Nov 2011, 19:14
Ooooo that would be awesome. Play as neat and clean Adam Jensen again.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b45/erica_lee/normadam.png

Bad thing about that is that it will pretty much be a 3rd person cover shooter with a varied playing field, am I right?
Not necessarily. Yes, we know that whatever the previous "stuff" that happened eventually ended up with you refusing to shoot that one kid. However, everything before that is pretty much open. How did you earn the respect of your comrades, by ruthless efficiency or a kind-hearted nature? How were you and Haas? What did you find out that made you want to not shoot the kid? How did you react? How did you deal with everything else going on (Deploying a whole SWAT team for one individual seems improbable, which implies there was more situations to diffuse). There's also other missions that could be done before that particular event.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly to the community, this would be an opportunity for more Megan Reed interaction and information.

Spyhopping
10th Nov 2011, 19:18
Megan Reed interaction: a good slap.

EricaLeeV
10th Nov 2011, 19:31
Not necessarily. Yes, we know that whatever the previous "stuff" that happened eventually ended up with you refusing to shoot that one kid. However, everything before that is pretty much open. How did you earn the respect of your comrades, by ruthless efficiency or a kind-hearted nature? How were you and Haas? What did you find out that made you want to not shoot the kid? How did you react? How did you deal with everything else going on (Deploying a whole SWAT team for one individual seems improbable, which implies there was more situations to diffuse). There's also other missions that could be done before that particular event.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly to the community, this would be an opportunity for more Megan Reed interaction and information.

Yes, there can be many story related decisions and the like but gameplay wise...it's a little sparse don't you think? That's what I was referring to. People won't say it's a Deus Ex game because you can't really upgrade yourself.

Not that I mind though, I play shooters 'with a little extra something' all the time.

Romeo
10th Nov 2011, 19:37
Megan Reed interaction: a good slap.
LOL

You rock. Albeit, this is before she had done anything wrong. Pretty sure it'd just be domestic abuse at that point in the game. DLC ends with Jensen being tasered and taken off to jail... =P

Yes, there can be many story related decisions and the like but gameplay wise...it's a little sparse don't you think? That's what I was referring to. People won't say it's a Deus Ex game because you can't really upgrade yourself.

Not that I mind though, I play shooters 'with a little extra something' all the time.
I will give you that, the lack of augmentations would be a step back, although weapons/weapon mods would still be around. I think I too could tolerate for a DLC. If Eidos was feeling especially generous, they could apply the XP to training, a la original Deus Ex. Or, we could have a refreshing reprieve from the broken XP system, allowing us to play how we want! :D

Spyhopping
10th Nov 2011, 19:46
LOL

You rock. Albeit, this is before she had done anything wrong. Pretty sure it'd just be domestic abuse at that point in the game. DLC ends with Jensen being tasered and taken off to jail... =P

A Doctor Who style premature slap for something she hasn't done yet. Better done before acquiring those augmented arms, see? :P

While on the subject of DLC, if there's gunna be any more- I wanna see Adam light up in-game! I kept anticipating it in a cutscene, but it never happened. :'(

Ashpolt
10th Nov 2011, 19:52

I will give you that, the lack of augmentations would be a step back, although weapons/weapon mods would still be around. I think I too could tolerate for a DLC.

Agreed with Erica. We can argue endlessly back and forth about what makes it Deus Ex (and we have!) but without augmentations / experience it'd be little more than a cover shooter. I can say with 100% confidence that I would not buy any Deus Ex DLC (or, heaven forbid it, a full game) which didn't feature character upgrades of some description. (Of course, I still haven't bought TML, so I'm sure my vote counts very little to the bean counters at EM / SE!)

Zoet
11th Nov 2011, 00:35
Not only is it nice to own a physical copy, but it's a pity to deprive people who don't have the ability to access this stuff. The adaptor I bought to get me on Xbox live cost more than the second hand console itself.

I don't even have one of those. I've got a 10 metre long Ethernet cable from the modem to the Xbox that snakes around a few corners...

A Doctor Who style premature slap for something she hasn't done yet. Better done before acquiring those augmented arms, see? :P

While on the subject of DLC, if there's gunna be any more- I wanna see Adam light up in-game! I kept anticipating it in a cutscene, but it never happened. :'(

Yeah, there really needed to be a smoking and moping in in AJ's apartment minigame or something ;)
I would rather a continuation of the story rather than an aug-free cover-based shooter though, as satisfying as pre-emptive vengeance might be!
I've yet to play the missing link as I want to play it in story order, but I have bought it. I hope EM is happy as it is the very first DLC I've ever bought, as my love for DX:HR has outweighed my usual extreme stinginess.

Romeo
11th Nov 2011, 02:52
I don't even have one of those. I've got a 10 metre long Ethernet cable from the modem to the Xbox that snakes around a few corners...

Yeah, there really needed to be a smoking and moping in in AJ's apartment minigame or something ;)
I would rather a continuation of the story rather than an aug-free cover-based shooter though, as satisfying as pre-emptive vengeance might be!
I've yet to play the missing link as I want to play it in story order, but I have bought it. I hope EM is happy as it is the very first DLC I've ever bought, as my love for DX:HR has outweighed my usual extreme stinginess.
Haha, yes! 75ft cable here too. lol

How do you propose a continuation though? The only ideas I can think of would cheapen the ending...

Zoet
11th Nov 2011, 04:32
Haha, yes! 75ft cable here too. lol

How do you propose a continuation though? The only ideas I can think of would cheapen the ending...

Ha! and I thought I was the only one...

Basically, I think that the ending is going to be 'cheapened' whatever happens: DLC, direct sequel, indirect sequel. It is even cheapened by virtue of being a prequel. At least it's not a 'happily ever after' that will inevitably be made void utterly void by any sequel, and there is still some potential for conflict. I will take you up on your challenge, but hey I'm not a writer so this is just a vague and potentially silly idea!

There are a couple of things that are to me very much unresolved at the end of Human Revolution: the story of Adam's childhood and his relationship with Meagan, and how exactly she came to be working for Mr Page. So these are points that could be lead-ins a fresh layer of conspiracy in any follow up. Any continuation could take up right where the game left off: I am of the opinion that Eliza never really sent out a message at the end, but instead betrayed you, and the place is collapsing anyway. You escape somehow, perhaps by suddenly learning how to swim...

There are some problems here with characters being potentially either alive or dead at the end of the game, like Malik or Sarif/Darrow/Taggart. I'll assume here that Malik is canonically alive, and the others die as the facility goes down. Jensen manages to call for help and is later found by Malik in her helicopter-jet-thing, clinging to some wreckage..... Back in Detroit, Sarif Industries has been bought out by Versalife, and Tai Young has been linked to the biochip scandal (but not to the illuminati or any intentional wrongdoing) and shut down. Tight and punitive regulation of augmentation technology is going to happen.
Adam is forced to continue working for what once was Sarif Industries because of that damn employment contract (it is probably legal for them to repo his augs if he quits). The points I mentioned earlier about his past and his relationship with Megan could be the starting point for fresh conspiracy investigation, with hints about a mysterious man called Bob Page....

Ultimately, I want to visit what remains of White Helix Labs at some point, and to have the option to give Megan the 'tap-tap, Wham!' treatment, or at least a stern talking to.;)

Romeo
11th Nov 2011, 08:12
Ha! and I thought I was the only one...

Basically, I think that the ending is going to be 'cheapened' whatever happens: DLC, direct sequel, indirect sequel. It is even cheapened by virtue of being a prequel. At least it's not a 'happily ever after' that will inevitably be made void utterly void by any sequel, and there is still some potential for conflict. I will take you up on your challenge, but hey I'm not a writer so this is just a vague and potentially silly idea!

There are a couple of things that are to me very much unresolved at the end of Human Revolution: the story of Adam's childhood and his relationship with Meagan, and how exactly she came to be working for Mr Page. So these are points that could be lead-ins a fresh layer of conspiracy in any follow up. Any continuation could take up right where the game left off: I am of the opinion that Eliza never really sent out a message at the end, but instead betrayed you, and the place is collapsing anyway. You escape somehow, perhaps by suddenly learning how to swim...

There are some problems here with characters being potentially either alive or dead at the end of the game, like Malik or Sarif/Darrow/Taggart. I'll assume here that Malik is canonically alive, and the others die as the facility goes down. Jensen manages to call for help and is later found by Malik in her helicopter-jet-thing, clinging to some wreckage..... Back in Detroit, Sarif Industries has been bought out by Versalife, and Tai Young has been linked to the biochip scandal (but not to the illuminati or any intentional wrongdoing) and shut down. Tight and punitive regulation of augmentation technology is going to happen.
Adam is forced to continue working for what once was Sarif Industries because of that damn employment contract (it is probably legal for them to repo his augs if he quits). The points I mentioned earlier about his past and his relationship with Megan could be the starting point for fresh conspiracy investigation, with hints about a mysterious man called Bob Page....

Ultimately, I want to visit what remains of White Helix Labs at some point, and to have the option to give Megan the 'tap-tap, Wham!' treatment, or at least a stern talking to.;)
No, what I mean by cheapening is that the end of Deus Ex was just that - the closing for that game. When you tack stuff on after, it just seems out of place. At least with a sequel there's usually a large passage of time involved (Look at how spaced out the three games are, chronologically speaking).

Zoet
11th Nov 2011, 10:50
No, what I mean by cheapening is that the end of Deus Ex was just that - the closing for that game. When you tack stuff on after, it just seems out of place. At least with a sequel there's usually a large passage of time involved (Look at how spaced out the three games are, chronologically speaking).

I haven't played the first 2 games, and due to this ignorance I don't don't perceive DX:HR as slotting into a kind of 'archetype' for the series as you do. But to me, the end of HR was more like the 'the end...to be continued' of a TV season than the more final 'THE END.' of say, Portal 2 or a stand-alone movie (this is actually how I perceive DX:HR narrative-wise: more like a good TV show than a film). But I am only now on my second play-through, and repeat play-throughs could change this. The kind of continuation though DLC that I am thinking of, to avoid the tacked-on kind of cheapening you're talking about; would need to be the beginning a whole new act to the story...

... much like a whole sequel then, which is probably what I'm really wanting. :whistle:

zenstar
11th Nov 2011, 17:15
DX wasn't a Win 95 game either. It game out in 2000. It may have supported 95, but 98 and 2000 were both also out by the time DX launched. It's safe to say it was pretty distanced from DOS! :P

Well minimum spec was win95. I'd say that win98 and win2k supported win95 games.
And win2k hadn't really been out for long when DX1 came out so development wouldn't have aimed to be a win2k game.
But yes, it was far from a DOS game either way :)

And more on topic:
I don't think having something after the ending of DX:HR would cheapen the ending at all. I experienced the ending and thought it was cool and have done it now. If they release something that starts mere hours after the ending as a sequel I don't mind. I don't see that as cheapening anything. Although trying to unify things in a way that'll work would be... difficult. As long as they don't pull a Dallas "the last bit was just a dream" thing then I'm sure it'll be fine.

But again: other characters give more leeway for storytelling without muddling things up for the AJ storyline. Come on... who doesn't want to play Prichard in the next DLC: Nucl3ar Snake's Revenge ???

Romeo
11th Nov 2011, 23:16
I haven't played the first 2 games, and due to this ignorance I don't don't perceive DX:HR as slotting into a kind of 'archetype' for the series as you do. But to me, the end of HR was more like the 'the end...to be continued' of a TV season than the more final 'THE END.' of say, Portal 2 or a stand-alone movie (this is actually how I perceive DX:HR narrative-wise: more like a good TV show than a film). But I am only now on my second play-through, and repeat play-throughs could change this. The kind of continuation though DLC that I am thinking of, to avoid the tacked-on kind of cheapening you're talking about; would need to be the beginning a whole new act to the story...

... much like a whole sequel then, which is probably what I'm really wanting. :whistle:
Ah, see I was just about to say that. "Like a sequel?"

I do understand what you're asking for though, and I have seen it done as a "bridge" between games (Mass Effect 2 had a DLC that is meant to introduce the events of the 3rd). They tend to be released at the end of the one game though, in preperation for the next.

Dukeman
11th Nov 2011, 23:55
More DLC? **** no. Although i'd love to play as Adam Jensen again that would just **** up the storyline big time. I already had my doubts with the Missing Link. I loved it, but only because it was a little more content. I missed the huge cities where you can explore so much, enjoy the created environment, talk to dozen of people looking for clues, i really missed that in the Missing Link.

For the people that don't want to play Deus Ex #1. Just freaking play it. I think it's one of the best games every made, and better than Human Revolution. Right, the graphics are crappy as ****. But does graphics make a game? **** no! The story line, the plots, the way they set up Deus Ex 1 is simply astonishing. Deus Ex HR makes alot of things good with it looks, but it's certainly not as good as the Deus Ex 1. If you let graphics decide what you're gonna play you simply miss the point.

Dukeman
11th Nov 2011, 23:56
Jeez... the emoticons represent the word *****...

Romeo
12th Nov 2011, 06:30
More DLC? **** no. Although i'd love to play as Adam Jensen again that would just **** up the storyline big time. I already had my doubts with the Missing Link. I loved it, but only because it was a little more content. I missed the huge cities where you can explore so much, enjoy the created environment, talk to dozen of people looking for clues, i really missed that in the Missing Link.

For the people that don't want to play Deus Ex #1. Just freaking play it. I think it's one of the best games every made, and better than Human Revolution. Right, the graphics are crappy as ****. But does graphics make a game? **** no! The story line, the plots, the way they set up Deus Ex 1 is simply astonishing. Deus Ex HR makes alot of things good with it looks, but it's certainly not as good as the Deus Ex 1. If you let graphics decide what you're gonna play you simply miss the point.
I don't think DLC automatically means "broken story". As people have said, Jensen's story has time before and after the game's events that could be used. If not, there's always other character's perspectives, such as what Dragon Age did. There's also Montreal itself, which was supposed to be a hub city, so that would be very easy to slip in to the story as well. There's a plethora of opportunities, don't dismiss them because you haven't thought of any.

As for your graphics argument, at a certain point, yes graphics make a difference. When they're so utterly terrible that it actually impacts the game's ability to deliver a story - there's a difference. Deus Ex the story is enjoyed despite the graphics by most people here. A generation that grew up on modern games isn't going to be able to make that transition. Paul's death is never going to have an emotional impact on that player, if the player is constantly reminded they're simply a mass of poor rendered code.

Jeez... the emoticons represent the word *****...
Because you aren't allowed to swear... How was that not abundantly clear?

LkMax
14th Nov 2011, 11:49
I wouldn't mind playing some other characters in the same universe.
The whole universe is interesting and the story can make a nice backdrop to all sorts of interesting tales.
Plus new characters give a chance to introduce new augs.
Australia is having a war at the moment - splinter cell style covert ops?
Belltower must have some heros working for it - a good cop fighting against his superiors?
The harvesters / Tong may be thugs but they're also working against a corrupt police force - a gangster with a heart of gold?
There's an entire world they could play with here. And not every character needs to be aug'ed to the gills like AJ (although the focus would likely be an aug'ed character since that's a major hook of the game / engine).

:thumb: exactly what I thought!
They could bring the other Hubs with new protagonists/views of the story. It would be easier to make the plot and would let them develop more the world of HR.

itsonyourhead
22nd Nov 2011, 07:08
It's been really quiet. Game's been out 3 months as of tomorrow, DLC has come and gone. What are the illustrious renegades at Eidos Montreal working on? More DLC? Another Deus Ex? Thief 4? New IP? When can we expect news?

neonfish
22nd Nov 2011, 07:42
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/38662/Interview_Inside_Square_Enixs_Major_Montreal_Expansion.php

seems no more Deus ex DLC

neonfish
22nd Nov 2011, 07:45
Eidos montreal team is working on Theif 4 and and gathering people for Hitman 6

no words on Deus ex :(

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/38662/Interview_Inside_Square_Enixs_Major_Montreal_Expansion.php

Romeo
22nd Nov 2011, 07:46
That link didn't say no more DLC...

Romeo
22nd Nov 2011, 07:47
Going to move this to the DLC thread, but that's not how I interpreted that at all. They said they wanted to move in three direction. Theif 4 and Hitman 6 means a third isn't accounted for.

neonfish
22nd Nov 2011, 08:00
sorry in another interview it is probably more clear

Square Enix is looking to create another 100 new jobs at its Eidos-Montreal studio as well. It revealed that the studio is working on an unannounced third game, alongside the next installments in the Deus Ex and Thief franchises.

so now they are working on THIEF4,creating new positions to work on Hitman 6 + working on DEUS EX DLC + an unannounced game? Am I right or the unannounced game will be the HITMAN 6?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/38672/Square_Enix_Opening_Second_Montreal_Studio_For_New_Hitman_Creating_250_Jobs.php

Romeo
22nd Nov 2011, 09:46
Could be anyone's guess. Given the fairly limited list of Eidos franchises, I'd say it's a distinct possibility.

AlexOfSpades
22nd Nov 2011, 21:57
I think its a new game.

Romeo
23rd Nov 2011, 04:15
I think its a new game.
Hehe, I'm going to play the impossible card and demand new DLC and a new Deus Ex. Both being worked on simultaneously. Hey, Blizzard does it with Starcraft II - and Blizzard's a pretty good company to emulate, in my books. :D

Tverdyj
23rd Nov 2011, 04:55

Hooey.

everytime you mention Deus Ex on the internet someone re-installs it. It is known. and there is absolutely no way in hell this remake would avoid the "streamlining" scourges of health regen and cover systems, so it wouldn't really be DX.
Now don't get me wrong, I liked HR. especially since it let me play without using the cover system once. but if EM will try to "re-boot" or "re-imagine" the original DX, I will at all times act the same way to them as i'm acting towards the 2K's X-COM reboot right now: vocally proclaim that I hope they fail miserably and that the game will be a complete flop.

DX was not perfect. but that doesn't meant they'll make it better.

wrt to the OP: I'd like to see a DLC based on (or following) the events in "the Icarus effect"
but Jensen's story is done. I saw him sacrifice himself on Panchaea.

though if we could get a "director's cut" as someone suggested (multiple solutoin boss-fights, MTL and upper Heng Sha hubs, consequences to avoiding bosses, etc), it'd make a great expansion pack (like the EE for Witcher. and i'd pay money for it)

zenstar
23rd Nov 2011, 10:20
everytime you mention Deus Ex on the internet someone re-installs it. It is known. and there is absolutely no way in hell this remake would avoid the "streamlining" scourges of health regen and cover systems, so it wouldn't really be DX.
Now don't get me wrong, I liked HR. especially since it let me play without using the cover system once. but if EM will try to "re-boot" or "re-imagine" the original DX, I will at all times act the same way to them as i'm acting towards the 2K's X-COM reboot right now: vocally proclaim that I hope they fail miserably and that the game will be a complete flop.

DX was not perfect. but that doesn't meant they'll make it better.

wrt to the OP: I'd like to see a DLC based on (or following) the events in "the Icarus effect"
but Jensen's story is done. I saw him sacrifice himself on Panchaea.

though if we could get a "director's cut" as someone suggested (multiple solutoin boss-fights, MTL and upper Heng Sha hubs, consequences to avoiding bosses, etc), it'd make a great expansion pack (like the EE for Witcher. and i'd pay money for it)

You do realise that there is a difference between remake and reboot right? And you do realise that DX:HR could be considered a reboot if they continue the story and just never mention that DX1 existed?

I agree that they shouldn't remake DX1 simply because no matter how perfectly they do it there will always be people complaining that it's not exactly right because the toenail of the guard on the bottom level of the hideout on the pier was the wrong shade of grey.

I really would rather they just ignored the fact that there was a DX1 or a DX2 and just make some good games. Consider this an alternate universe. DX1 can live forever supreme in it's universe where it's _the_ DX game and Eidos can continue to entertain us without having to be tied down to DX1's story or timeline.

Ashpolt
23rd Nov 2011, 10:47
You do realise that there is a difference between remake and reboot right? And you do realise that DX:HR could be considered a reboot if they continue the story and just never mention that DX1 existed?

I agree that they shouldn't remake DX1 simply because no matter how perfectly they do it there will always be people complaining that it's not exactly right because the toenail of the guard on the bottom level of the hideout on the pier was the wrong shade of grey.

I really would rather they just ignored the fact that there was a DX1 or a DX2 and just make some good games. Consider this an alternate universe. DX1 can live forever supreme in it's universe where it's _the_ DX game and Eidos can continue to entertain us without having to be tied down to DX1's story or timeline.

So what you're saying is you want a new IP? But one which pretends not to be?

Romeo
23rd Nov 2011, 11:21
There's plenty of series doing it, and his assertation that it would save the inevitable hate-storm of modifying Deus Ex in any way is totally correct as well. So long as the universe is kept intact (Ideologies, groups, themes, etc) I think it has potential.

zenstar
23rd Nov 2011, 11:58
No. I'm fairly sure we can all agree (barring some etremists maybe) that the current game is a "Deus Ex" game. It's been inspired by DX1 and has followed the tradition of the style set forth by DX1 (we can argue how well it succeeded in a different thread, but it has tried and at least retained the feel). It's kept the general plot the same too. Do we have to have it line up directly with DX1 and to take DX1's entire story as canon? Can we not just continue with this story and see where it takes us? Does that suddenly not make it a DX game?

There's plenty of series doing it, and his assertation that it would save the inevitable hate-storm of modifying Deus Ex in any way is totally correct as well. So long as the universe is kept intact (Ideologies, groups, themes, etc) I think it has potential.
Pretty much this.
Comics have done it plenty of times before. Movies and tv shows have done it. If it's handled correctly then I don't see why Eidos cannot "reboot" DX too.
Let's face it: DX1 was a good game and it had a good plot/story but it's an old story that wasn't written with a prequel in mind. It has some slightly aged ideas about things and used some storytelling hooks that outdated by today's standards.

And where do we go from here?
Do they make a game that happens after DX1&2 and expect people to play those old games to continue the story?
Do they make it so disconnected that the story doesn't really matter (in which case how is it different from rebooting)?
Do they continue trying to fill in the ever disapearing space between HR and 1?
Do a pre-prequel that's set even closer to current day?
Or do they just stop making Deus Ex games?

Personally I want more Deus Ex and think that a reboot makes a lot of sense. Maybe I'm missing another solution? I'd suggest working a story past the DX1 timeline that could link the past and future together for new players except then you'd either be remaking DX1 or you'd be making DX1 an "optional" portion of the story that only those who played it would get.
I think we can all agree that a remake would be a bad idea, and if you're going to sideline DX1's story then there'd be more freedom in a reboot than trying to skirt around it without losing newer players (players who started with HR).

I never played DX2. If the story from DX2 becomes important then I'm going to get lost and would not receive the series as well. And I'm certainly not going back to play DX2 just to catch up. And if DX1 is canon then it kinda implies DX2 should probably be canon too. Although I'm sure most people would be happy if DX2 was forgotten (from what I can tell).

Olgerth Heidern
23rd Nov 2011, 14:59
I think the official "story" should stop at the end of DX, and DXIW should be forgotten.

There are, however, many side stories that can be told, with different characters, during the same periods as DXHR and DX. GTA series did it with Lost and Damned and Ballad of Gay Tony. DX can too.

zenstar
23rd Nov 2011, 15:20
I think the official "story" should stop at the end of DX, and DXIW should be forgotten.

There are, however, many side stories that can be told, with different characters, during the same periods as DXHR and DX. GTA series did it with Lost and Damned and Ballad of Gay Tony. DX can too.

The difference here is that the people playing LatD and BoGT probably played GTA IV. And GTA hasn't really been known as the paragon of storytelling. They're games are good, but their plots don't carry from one game to the next really (barring a few tenuous links).

If they're going to be telling stories at the same time as DX1 then they can't assume people know what the story of DX1 was (since the game is so old now) which means either retelling it all (while trying not to do a remake - will be rushed and 1/2 done), remaking it (bad idea imo) or basically ignoring it (may as well reboot).

I think it's too confining to try work in the DX1 plot while remaining accessible to recent players who didn't play DX1. Admittedly at some point you just have to say "if you didn't play the series you may not follow the story well" but DX:HR is a recent point with a lot of new fans that haven't played DX1 and marginalising these fans is a bad idea.

And does rebooting harm DX1 in any way? Nope. You can still go back and enjoy it whenever you want. It's not like the plot will retroactively be patched out of DX1 to make way for the next DX game.

Calrabjohns
23rd Nov 2011, 17:34
Is it because of licensing shenanigans that the idea of DX1 being an XBL/PSN game is an impossible dream? Technical limitations because of space? They clean up the graphics some and convert/crunch keyboard commands to a controller, and win a larger audience. I don't have a computer right now or I'd be fumbling through DX1 right now. However, I'd much prefer playing with a gamepad and some sweet "achievement" love. If that does well, they can explore IW which actually should be easier to port given it was on the original X-Box right? This'll never happen, but I'm curious if it was ever a possibility in the minds of others.

Romeo
23rd Nov 2011, 19:17
Is it because of licensing shenanigans that the idea of DX1 being an XBL/PSN game is an impossible dream? Technical limitations because of space? They clean up the graphics some and convert/crunch keyboard commands to a controller, and win a larger audience. I don't have a computer right now or I'd be fumbling through DX1 right now. However, I'd much prefer playing with a gamepad and some sweet "achievement" love. If that does well, they can explore IW which actually should be easier to port given it was on the original X-Box right? This'll never happen, but I'm curious if it was ever a possibility in the minds of others.
You don't have a computer? How did you type this...?

It certainly wouldn't be a space issue. Deathspank was on XBLA, and it's 1.2Gb, much larger than Deus Ex was (Even accounting for the fact HD graphics would chew up a little more space). I'm not sure why it hasn't been ported, I wondered too why Microsoft never ported Goldeneye to XBLA when they bought Rare. The remake was terrible, the original would be awesome though (Just with twin-stick controls and polished graphics).

Vasarto
25th Nov 2011, 19:44
I still cannot figure out how to play the Missing link. I downloaded it twice. Popped the disk in and the DLC tab does not exist. Its not in the main menu, Options. Tried loading a old game and went to options gameplay and settings and its not there. Does not come up when I play a game all the way through. Niether before or after when Missing link takes place.

Its no where and I am pissed off I wasted my money on a worthless piecer I cannot even play. I complained to the company a month ago but Got no response.

itsonyourhead
25th Nov 2011, 21:33
I still cannot figure out how to play the Missing link. I downloaded it twice. Popped the disk in and the DLC tab does not exist. Its not in the main menu, Options. Tried loading a old game and went to options gameplay and settings and its not there. Does not come up when I play a game all the way through. Niether before or after when Missing link takes place.

Its no where and I am pissed off I wasted my money on a worthless piecer I cannot even play. I complained to the company a month ago but Got no response.

*sigh* It's a separate executable. Check your program files folder.

Medion
26th Nov 2011, 02:55
I want more Deus Ex for christmas! Bug-free, please. U.U

Harill
26th Nov 2011, 20:10
If people buy the new Deus Ex 4 game and don't know the story but would like to catch up, I say that when the game is made, have books (in game) that cover certain aspects of the past games and news shows that report about a past event.

Romeo
26th Nov 2011, 21:06
If people buy the new Deus Ex 4 game and don't know the story but would like to catch up, I say that when the game is made, have books (in game) that cover certain aspects of the past games and news shows that report about a past event.
Hey, that's a good idea! Heck, even if we did play the previous game, it'd be a cool touch to see the events and aftermath of our missions. +10 internetz for you!

Calrabjohns
28th Nov 2011, 04:23
You don't have a computer? How did you type this...?

It certainly wouldn't be a space issue. Deathspank was on XBLA, and it's 1.2Gb, much larger than Deus Ex was (Even accounting for the fact HD graphics would chew up a little more space). I'm not sure why it hasn't been ported, I wondered too why Microsoft never ported Goldeneye to XBLA when they bought Rare. The remake was terrible, the original would be awesome though (Just with twin-stick controls and polished graphics).

Sorry for late reply. I use my phone for forum surfing. My living situation precludes a desktop right now, and my laptop is being fixed. Irrespective of that, I've never really been able to play PC games. I wish I could because there's always more content available with mod communities and there's just some franchises on computers that will never make it to console. There's one series I made myself acclimate to play: The Witcher. I played both on a friend's computer but it was a hard transition for me. Technically, I played Deus Ex: HR on computer since I played the leak before the game came out, but that was very hard for me.

I'm really glad TW2 is hitting the 360. My hope is the first Witcher might make it onto the 360 once TW2 succeeds on the console (not to say it isn't a smash on computer because it obviously is). It's better for my wallet ultimately and the controls feel better for me personally. I've wanted to play the first two Thief games though, VtM Bloodlines (I think that's the one), Arx Fatalis (I'm looking forward to Dishonored so much), Amnesia: TDD... games I read about on the game thread here that make me lament my lack of keyboard and mouse savvy.

Have to go for now. I might add more to this when I get back, but yeah...wish DE would be ported. I don't think it would suffer too badly in controls department, but wiser minds than mine can weigh in on that possible hurdle.

Had to clarify something. I played the leak also at a friend's house. I don't advocate piracy or anything like that. Posting this on the forum could be against the rules. Not sure. I just really wanted this game so much that when he told me he had it I wanted to give it a spin. Anyway, hope I'm not in trouble for admitting that.

Romeo
28th Nov 2011, 05:34
Sorry for late reply. I use my phone for forum surfing. My living situation precludes a desktop right now, and my laptop is being fixed. Irrespective of that, I've never really been able to play PC games. I wish I could because there's always more content available with mod communities and there's just some franchises on computers that will never make it to console. There's one series I made myself acclimate to play: The Witcher. I played both on a friend's computer but it was a hard transition for me. Technically, I played Deus Ex: HR on computer since I played the leak before the game came out, but that was very hard for me.

I'm really glad TW2 is hitting the 360. My hope is the first Witcher might make it onto the 360 once TW2 succeeds on the console (not to say it isn't a smash on computer because it obviously is). It's better for my wallet ultimately and the controls feel better for me personally. I've wanted to play the first two Thief games though, VtM Bloodlines (I think that's the one), Arx Fatalis (I'm looking forward to Dishonored so much), Amnesia: TDD... games I read about on the game thread here that make me lament my lack of keyboard and mouse savvy.

Have to go for now. I might add more to this when I get back, but yeah...wish DE would be ported. I don't think it would suffer too badly in controls department, but wiser minds than mine can weigh in on that possible hurdle.

Had to clarify something. I played the leak also at a friend's house. I don't advocate piracy or anything like that. Posting this on the forum could be against the rules. Not sure. I just really wanted this game so much that when he told me he had it I wanted to give it a spin. Anyway, hope I'm not in trouble for admitting that.
It is, will let it slide this once. I agree completely with the controls (My exception is RTS games: I always find them superior on PC) as like you, I prefer a controller to keyboard and mouse.

Vasarto
29th Nov 2011, 02:05
*sigh* It's a separate executable. Check your program files folder.

Problem with that...I am playing it on the Xbox 360 lol.

Cannot find it anywhere. I think it glitched or its faulty or something but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Romeo
29th Nov 2011, 03:07
Problem with that...I am playing it on the Xbox 360 lol.

Cannot find it anywhere. I think it glitched or its faulty or something but I couldn't find it anywhere.
Have you checked to make sure the download went through? Check your memory cache for Deus Ex (Console Settings tab). If Missing Link isn't there, or if it has an exclamation point as the picture, it didn't download properly.

Vasarto
29th Nov 2011, 04:17
Thanks, I will go check on that.

FuzzyPuffin
2nd Dec 2011, 21:17
So apparently PSN released a "Complete Edition" of Deus Ex with all DLC, including The Missing Link.

I wonder if we should read anything into the name.

I would like more content, but not at TML prices. Give me a deep expansion for $30 or a sequel.

Romeo
2nd Dec 2011, 23:36
So apparently PSN released a "Complete Edition" of Deus Ex with all DLC, including The Missing Link.

I wonder if we should read anything into the name.

I would like more content, but not at TML prices. Give me a deep expansion for $30 or a sequel.
Ah, see I disagree completely. The Missing Link was a great price, and I'd rather pick and choose whichever $10 suits me than be forced in to one $30 one.

Darnel
3rd Dec 2011, 15:38
Oh the joys of Steam sales. I got the Missing Link for 5 bucks.

It's that I'm not financially well off right now but if I had the cash 12 would've been worth it as well. The game's 10 hour long for a stealth player: that's longer than Modern Warfare's singleplayer campaigns, as well as many other games (not) worth mentioning.

Romeo
3rd Dec 2011, 20:23
Oh the joys of Steam sales. I got the Missing Link for 5 bucks.

It's that I'm not financially well off right now but if I had the cash 12 would've been worth it as well. The game's 10 hour long for a stealth player: that's longer than Modern Warfare's singleplayer campaigns, as well as many other games (not) worth mentioning.
$12? It was only $10 for me...

ZakKa89
4th Dec 2011, 04:06
Of course there will be. I'm hoping for montreal hub next.

Totalchicken
11th Dec 2011, 01:30
Me luv Deus ex. Would enjoy another funz dlc!

badmonk
11th Dec 2011, 02:03
So is there gonna be any more dlc for DXHR please guys?

Odysseyalien
12th Dec 2011, 20:22
Yeah...would love additional DLC. I've played Batman AC and now playing L.A. Noire. Both great games but I want to do a fourth playthrough of Deus Ex HR BUT with another dose of DLC. Pretty pleez...pleez...pleez...

Vasarto
12th Dec 2011, 21:52
Finally got Missing link to work and beat it. Amazing game but getting the achievment for no praxis or weapons or items is gonna be almost impossible I think lol.

JakePeriphery
13th Dec 2011, 23:35
I need more DLC or I'll hold my breath until I pass out!

Romeo
14th Dec 2011, 00:57
I need more DLC or I'll hold my breath until I pass out!
Isn't that a biological impossibility?

Zoet
14th Dec 2011, 02:08

You can't let biological impossibility stand in the way of a dramatic gesture, especially when said gesture is done in the name of more DX:HR! :D

Romeo
14th Dec 2011, 07:48
You can't let biological impossibility stand in the way of a dramatic gesture, especially when said gesture is done in the name of more DX:HR! :D
...Touché. :D

zenstar
14th Dec 2011, 12:06

You can teach yourself to overcome the need to breathe to the point where you could pass out.
As soon as you pass out though the body switches back to reflex action and you start breathing again.
So it's highly unlikely (nothing is impossible) that you'd be able to kill yourself like this, but passing out? Possible.

JakePeriphery
15th Dec 2011, 05:10
You guys are too much.

How many of you (who don't have the forums bookmarked) enter in a different birth date every time they go to the Deus Ex main page. I usually just do the super-scroll to 1941ish (January 1st) and hit proceed, I grow weary of this charade. This, only to see if there is a new DLC announcement.

Romeo
15th Dec 2011, 06:08
You can teach yourself to overcome the need to breathe to the point where you could pass out.
As soon as you pass out though the body switches back to reflex action and you start breathing again.
So it's highly unlikely (nothing is impossible) that you'd be able to kill yourself like this, but passing out? Possible.
Really? I'm impressed. I didn't think you could "push through" that desire, I assumed the body simply would not allow for it.

You guys are too much.

How many of you (who don't have the forums bookmarked) enter in a different birth date every time they go to the Deus Ex main page. I usually just do the super-scroll to 1941ish (January 1st) and hit proceed, I grow weary of this charade. This, only to see if there is a new DLC announcement.
Don't even bother. Just type "for" in your address bar and it should pull up the forums directly, allowing you to bypass the age gate entirely. If there's any DLC announced you can bet it'll be being discussed here.

Free 7hinker
15th Dec 2011, 06:37

I'm glad you posted this. It's amazing what we can train our minds to do. I train my mind to withstand pain to the point where my mind is able to tell my body to resist instead of react. Example: I often run my hands through extremely hot water until I become numb to the pain. I also stop myself from reacting to pain when I accidentally bang my toe against an object or what not. The common, innate, response would be to react to the pain - but that is an 'auto-pilot' response. As crazy as it sounds, I've been doing this since I was very young. I used to have my friends pinch me as hard as they could. They'd be amazed that I wouldn't even flinch or tear, even tho the bruise would become purple or even bleed.

I've consistently trained myself to be 'aware' as much as I could possibly be. Human evolution is absolutely possible.

Free 7hinker
15th Dec 2011, 06:43

I'm glad you posted this. It's amazing what we can train our minds to do. I train my mind to withstand pain to the point where my mind is able to tell my body to resist instead of react. Example: I often run my hands through extremely hot water until I become numb to the pain. I also stop myself from reacting to pain when I accidentally bang my toe against an object or what not. The common, innate, response would be to react to the pain - but that is an 'auto-pilot' response.

You don't have to limit yourself to torture training. I've been able to control my face expressions, my heart beat during exercises or if I'm nervous, my laughter when something is funny or if I'm being tickled, etc.

I've consistently trained myself to be 'aware' as much as I could possibly be. Human evolution is absolutely possible.

zenstar
15th Dec 2011, 10:09
Really? I'm impressed. I didn't think you could "push through" that desire, I assumed the body simply would not allow for it.

If I'm remembering things correctly (I looked at this a long time ago) it's the carbon dioxide buildup that triggers the "take a breath" response the strongest so the trick is not only to hold your breath, but to then slowly breathe out when the urge to breathe starts to appear. This will vent some of the CO2 and help manage the desire to breathe.

It's not easy to do, but you can do it if you really really want to.

Romeo
15th Dec 2011, 10:15
If I'm remembering things correctly (I looked at this a long time ago) it's the carbon dioxide buildup that triggers the "take a breath" response the strongest so the trick is not only to hold your breath, but to then slowly breathe out when the urge to breathe starts to appear. This will vent some of the CO2 and help manage the desire to breathe.

It's not easy to do, but you can do it if you really really want to.
I'm not entirely sure what purpose it could possibly serve, and yet, I feel strangely compelled to try this tomorrow. :D

zenstar
15th Dec 2011, 11:59
I'm not entirely sure what purpose it could possibly serve, and yet, I feel strangely compelled to try this tomorrow. :D

Just make sure you don't fall over and hurt yourself. Make sure someone else is around just in case. We do not want to read about you in the newspaper.. something about stockings, bathroom and pants around ankles :rasp:

If you want more interesting facts on the human body and breathing look up the wikipedia article on mammilian diving reflex. Get your face wet with cold water (must be cold and the face must be wet) and the mammilian diving reflex will kick in... Heart rate slows down, blood supply to the extremeties gets cut off and (at massive depths) the boddy will allow plasma to move around freely to prevent your organs getting crushed.

The human body is really weird ^_^

Romeo
16th Dec 2011, 07:53
Just make sure you don't fall over and hurt yourself. Make sure someone else is around just in case. We do not want to read about you in the newspaper.. something about stockings, bathroom and pants around ankles :rasp:

If you want more interesting facts on the human body and breathing look up the wikipedia article on mammilian diving reflex. Get your face wet with cold water (must be cold and the face must be wet) and the mammilian diving reflex will kick in... Heart rate slows down, blood supply to the extremeties gets cut off and (at massive depths) the boddy will allow plasma to move around freely to prevent your organs getting crushed.

The human body is really weird ^_^
Oh believe me, as a Diabetic I know how odd the human body can be (No insulin? That's ok, we'll just eat our organs instead!)

And it'd be the most confusing case of death by auto-erotic asphixiation ever: No rope/shoelaces/batman utility-belt.

Thoth42
16th Mar 2012, 04:24
Would love some after story DLC I want a chance to go after Page.

drummindog
19th Mar 2012, 00:48
If there are no plans for dlc, can Eidos release a mission/scenario builder for us to build and Play custom missions. What about Mods?
I enjoyed building missions/scenarios for swat 3 back in the day. It would be a cool way to keep the community going until content or new games are released.

Zerim
19th Mar 2012, 09:02
If there are no plans for dlc, can Eidos release a mission/scenario builder for us to build and Play custom missions. What about Mods?
I enjoyed building missions/scenarios for swat 3 back in the day. It would be a cool way to keep the community going until content or new games are released.

Congratulations, you're the forum's 1,000,000th user to request an SDK!

Your award is heartbreak and disappointment!

Romeo
20th Mar 2012, 01:52

LOL!

You sir, just made my "Awesome people" list.

Zerim
20th Mar 2012, 19:46
Why, thank you! :D

This certainly beats getting added to the list of NSF casualties!

drummindog
22nd Mar 2012, 23:07

Yeah, ha ha. Was lending my point of view and support to the subject at hand.

sandkiller
25th Mar 2012, 21:45
More DLC please :)

Great game btw!

Charles_Phipps
26th Mar 2012, 06:59
I only want to play Adam Jensen but I don't really see anything else that could be played save maybe the MexicanTown incident.

Nines
26th Mar 2012, 08:38
Has anyone tried to ask producer (http://twitter.com/#!/davidanfossi) about new DLC?

Aggilus
26th Mar 2012, 16:25
Agreed, I thought The Missing Link felt more polished than most of the main game, and had a more compelling story. I'm sure they'll come out with more, they've captured a lot of people's attention by producing a great game, it'd be a mistake not to capitalize on that. As for what I'd like to see in a DLC, my first choice would be a separate DLC for each of the game's four endings so that you could explore the consequences of your final decision in some detail. Either that, or a deeper investigation into Adam's past.

yeah I like your idea of more dlc exploring the consequences of Adam actions. It'd be nice to integrate another characters or subplots with the book as well.

OMGITSJASON
26th Mar 2012, 22:27
More story-driven DLC is always a good thing when we're talking Deus-Ex. Make it happen Eidos.

SDF121
28th Mar 2012, 19:17
More story-driven DLC is always a good thing when we're talking Deus-Ex. Make it happen Eidos.

While I can't think of any place in the games plot to insert another piece of DLC like The Missing Link, I suppose one could create DLC that takes place immediately after the game's ending. Of course, the difficulty would lie in creating four different campaigns based on each of the games endings. Of course, there is the lazy route of declaring one of the four endings canon and continuing the story from there on out but I'm sure some fans would be disappointed with such a route. Then again, Eidos Montreal could go the way of Invisible War by combining all of the endings into one coherent plot.

On second thought, there may be a way to implement another piece of DLC into the middle of the original game by expanding upon the section in Montreal. If I can remember correctly, Eidos Montreal intended for there to be a third hub in Montreal but had to scrap this idea due to time constraints. I suppose that if Eidos Montreal really wanted to, they could go and expand the Montreal section of Human Revolution by completing the hub and including it into the game as a section prior to infiltrating Picus.

Romeo
28th Mar 2012, 22:33
While I can't think of any place in the games plot to insert another piece of DLC like The Missing Link, I suppose one could create DLC that takes place immediately after the game's ending. Of course, the difficulty would lie in creating four different campaigns based on each of the games endings. Of course, there is the lazy route of declaring one of the four endings canon and continuing the story from there on out but I'm sure some fans would be disappointed with such a route. Then again, Eidos Montreal could go the way of Invisible War by combining all of the endings into one coherent plot.

On second thought, there may be a way to implement another piece of DLC into the middle of the original game by expanding upon the section in Montreal. If I can remember correctly, Eidos Montreal intended for there to be a third hub in Montreal but had to scrap this idea due to time constraints. I suppose that if Eidos Montreal really wanted to, they could go and expand the Montreal section of Human Revolution by completing the hub and including it into the game as a section prior to infiltrating Picus.
Hell yes, Invisible War "combine them all" for the win! In all seriousness, stuff could be added much before (SWAT incident), during the campaign (Montreal, further Detroit sub-quests) or after, as you said afterwards.

Another option, though contreversial, would be to see events from the antigonists' perspective, or even just other NPCs.

SDF121
31st Mar 2012, 19:56
Hell yes, Invisible War "combine them all" for the win! In all seriousness, stuff could be added much before (SWAT incident), during the campaign (Montreal, further Detroit sub-quests) or after, as you said afterwards.

Another option, though contreversial, would be to see events from the antigonists' perspective, or even just other NPCs.

Honestly, I would rather Eidos Montreal work on a Game of the Year addition complete with all of content that was cut due to time constraints. According to this interview, http://www.trueachievements.com/n4768/deus-ex-human-revolution-needed-cuts.htm, there was roughly 60 hours worth of content that was either cut or completely scrapped before ever being created.

Just imagine if Eidos devoted some of their resources to making a Complete edition of Human Revolution with all of its original ideas actualized? Maybe they could even go further by making third person optional while also reintroducing lean and a proper melee weapon. I know it will never happen but one can always dream, right?

Romeo
1st Apr 2012, 00:46
Aye, sounds like you, I and many others share the same dream. lol

Zerim
1st Apr 2012, 06:10
I keep telling you guys, we need to start a full-force fan modding project to make HR moddable!

We could re-create from scratch the cut out city hubs, fix the character animations, fix the AI, fix the XP system, introduce melee weapons, even make some new character animations and put in a 3rd person view!

I absolutely believe we can make at least some of that happen.

Romeo
1st Apr 2012, 06:53
I keep telling you guys, we need to start a full-force fan modding project to make HR moddable!

We could re-create from scratch the cut out city hubs, fix the character animations, fix the AI, fix the XP system, introduce melee weapons, even make some new character animations and put in a 3rd person view!

But that's so much work... :D

Zerim
1st Apr 2012, 07:15
No pain, no game! :)

SDF121
1st Apr 2012, 16:35

How would one even start? I know next to nothing about programming.

hellrasinbrasin
13th Apr 2012, 15:10
I think if anything any follow up DLC would be The full Upper Hengsha City Level... ...Maybe they could do the full Montreal Hub as a 2 Part DLC story set before Jensen goes to Hengsha/ and or Picus Communications. But all this is purly hypothetical and speculative as non of us really know if the team have any intention of doing further stories for DXHR.

El Zoido
15th Apr 2012, 13:39
I think they have given up on the game already...

JCpies
15th Apr 2012, 18:44

Good luck.

OMGITSJASON
15th Apr 2012, 20:12
Like some others have said, where? Where would a good DLC segment fit into Human Revolution? Sure you could branch off something from any character in HR but why? I want a full blown awesome sequel at this point.

CWHunt
15th Apr 2012, 20:28
I really don't know what we can expect in any sort of upcoming DLC, but who knows. I have a feeling once all of this Deus Ex for Mac stuff finishes off we can expect some more DLC.
(I hope)

Jaykarus
26th Apr 2012, 16:49
Honestly, I would rather Eidos Montreal work on a Game of the Year addition complete with all of content that was cut due to time constraints.

While lurking these forums between 2009-10,one of the things that greatly excited me was talk of the intense work Eidos Montreal was putting in this game.
All the concept art was just fantastic.

After the game was released,I was mostly disappointed to see that a lot of content was cut out.
It makes no sense if they leave it on the cutting floor as the work they've done is beautiful...If they do release a GOTY edition with all the lessons they've learnt from constructive feedback,we'll have in our hands what the game should have been:

A masterpiece
Just like Deus Ex 1 was a masterpiece for its time because they made something that was very unique.

The textures seriously need fixing first xD
Dunno about 3rd person and melee though :scratch:
It might turn into Metal Gear Rising :(

but of course,it won't be easy

m G h m u o s
26th Apr 2012, 17:19
It might turn into Metal Gear Rising
lol? MGR is a crazy over the top action hack and slash since the other devs took over.

DLC for upper Hengsha hub or a goty edition with all the dlc seamlessly fitted within the game could be really cool, but at this point I feel like its a little late for DLC :/ Which tells you a lot about the current market if thats the first thing that comes to me.

Like some others have said, where? Where would a good DLC segment fit into Human Revolution? Sure you could branch off something from any character in HR but why? I want a full blown awesome sequel at this point.
They could add a ton of side missions to the hubs or code missions Malik could take you inbetween main ones from Sarif. But yeah I feel the same. I'd prefer them to take the lessons they learned and add a little more complexity and detail, take their time with the next installment. And I mean they should really take their time XD; I want it now lol, but I don't want anything rushed.

Jaykarus
26th Apr 2012, 18:12
lol? MGR is a crazy over the top action hack and slash since the other devs took over.

What a shame.

hellrasinbrasin
26th Apr 2012, 22:19
I think and this is my opinion that the developers could possibly do 2 more DLC for HR

1.Upper Hengsha would be 1st
2.The 2nd would be The Montreal Hub it could be inserted early on while initially in Detroit.

OMGITSJASON
26th Apr 2012, 23:51
Deus Ex: Human Revolution is done pretty much. I swear I needed more DLC than The Missing Link oh well.

PetrM
29th Apr 2012, 15:35
I hope they will release upgrade to Augmented edition on Steam, I purchased just the regular version and don't want to buy whole new game :( It won't cost them anything and they can make a little more money, because as I saw on Steam forums, I'm not the only one who would like to upgrade the regular version...

T3qUiLLa
3rd May 2012, 15:31
i still want my english VO pack for the german edition! but thats off topic if you just want to discuss a real add on! ;)
just fiished it for the 2nd time and i actually cant wait for the next playtrough! one of the best games i played so far and i played a lot of games! :)

HERESY
3rd May 2012, 23:42
I'd pay a pretty penny for the GOTY edition that had all the content and didn't force me to select the content from the main menu.

Agent Denton
8th May 2012, 19:04
I'd pay a pretty penny for the GOTY edition that had all the content and didn't force me to select the content from the main menu.

I would pay upwards of $120 for a Director's cut ala Blade Runner, that would re do the boss fights to be more in line with what was shown in the trailers, and include all the scrapped content, to include the extra city hubs and missions. Hell if this were ever realized, I would lock myself in my house for the duration that it would take for me to complete it, forgoing any nutritional and monetary needs, ie food and work.

Romeo
8th May 2012, 19:44
I would pay upwards of $120 for a Director's cut ala Blade Runner, that would re do the boss fights to be more in line with what was shown in the trailers, and include all the scrapped content, to include the extra city hubs and missions. Hell if this were ever realized, I would lock myself in my house for the duration that it would take for me to complete it, forgoing any nutritional and monetary needs, ie food and work.
While it would be nice, I think we both know there's no way it's happening.

El Zoido
9th May 2012, 09:33
i still want my english VO pack for the german edition! but thats off topic if you just want to discuss a real add on! ;)

I switched the game's language to english in Steam and it's working just fine for me.

vallux
9th May 2012, 16:14
While it would be nice, I think we both know there's no way it's happening.

Time for a kickstarter.

Romeo
9th May 2012, 17:03
Time for a kickstarter.
LOL!

Am I the only person who remains skeptical of Kickstarter? It's like investing in a car that isn't out yet - which has ended terribly in many, many cases.

vallux
9th May 2012, 17:17
Yeah. There is so much room for abuse. I remember this one teen douche who collected like 100 000$ to create a RPG adventure game...on a free RPG maker.

Zerim
9th May 2012, 18:57
I think Kickstarter is a good thing.

Investing is always risky. That's the nature of investment. It involves risk. You could fund the best team in the world to make a game and there will still be the possibility of the game ending up bad.

It's great to be and hopefully remain skeptical. Folks will just need to use their brains and decide whether they want to invest in something or not. It's not like anyone's FORCING anyone to invest. If you see a premise you like, and you're feeling particularly adventurous, go ahead.

Romeo
10th May 2012, 02:47
I think Kickstarter is a good thing.

Investing is always risky. That's the nature of investment. It involves risk. You could fund the best team in the world to make a game and there will still be the possibility of the game ending up bad.

It's great to be and hopefully remain skeptical. Folks will just need to use their brains and decide whether they want to invest in something or not. It's not like anyone's FORCING anyone to invest. If you see a premise you like, and you're feeling particularly adventurous, go ahead.
I think that's the issue though, is investing on the consumer's end. Taking Section 8 for example:

When the game was announced, it was to be a long, drawn out affair to get kills (Each soldier was like a tank), with weapon selection. The story was to be the primary focus, and was actually the very first thing shown about the game. The health system was to be the most complex and interesting system I'd ever seen in a game.

What ended up being released was an arcade shooter, with absolutely no weapons to pick from, besides assault rifle, sniper, shotgun, etc... The story was non-existent, with the single-player not too far back (Five ten minute levels, I kid you not), and it was instead focused as a multiplayer game instead. The health system was effectively scrapped and reverted to the standard shield-recharge system.

Now, had I invested early in devellopment, I'd have been livid at what I got. Apart from the fact that many of the decisions ran exactly opposite the initial concept, many of them were simply bad-decisions. For example, in focusing on multiplayer with a new IP they ran the gamble of the community not being large enough. Spoiler alert: The community wasn't ever large enough.

Thankfully, as it was a standard sale situation (Alliteration for you gals and guys out there) I could look at what it became and say "Well, this is stupid, I will save my $60 and not buy this".

A similar sentiment exists for Skyrim, Mass Effect 2, Forza 3, Need for Speed: Prostreet, Halo 2 and many, many more games. They sounded awesome during initial concept phase, and were complete letdowns at launch to me. Thankfully, the only two of that list I bought were Mass Effect 2 and Forza 3, because I wasn't locked in to the games. Kickstarter investment would've screwed me though.

I agree that investment is risky, but I think that acts as a sort of inspiration to do good work. If you have your money up front, you can fumble if you like - you're already paid-off the base cost. If you're relying on people buying your product though, you need to hustle your backside to make your game more alluring than your competition's. I don't dislike Kickstarter, but I'd never be a part of it, as I've seen the game industry pull too many fast ones to even dream of trusting them at their word.

Zerim
10th May 2012, 07:22
Yeah, agreed.

As someone who constantly daydreams of making "indie" games, I see Kickstarter as a viable option to get funds where necessary. But honesty and loyalty to your fanbase should ALWAYS be the #1 principle, at all times.

And people can only be tricked once with things like this too. Anyone who doesn't play it honest is going to get their title changed to the boy who cried wolf pretty quickly.

Romeo
10th May 2012, 21:06
Yeah, agreed.

As someone who constantly daydreams of making "indie" games, I see Kickstarter as a viable option to get funds where necessary. But honesty and loyalty to your fanbase should ALWAYS be the #1 principle, at all times.

And people can only be tricked once with things like this too. Anyone who doesn't play it honest is going to get their title changed to the boy who cried wolf pretty quickly.
You give far too much credit to the buying public. Look what THQ did with Homefront: Game went from "mature, thought-provoking survival-shooter" to "Bro-Shooter where you single-handedly take down the Korean army". And the uproar from that immature change was... Nothing. People didn't even seem to realize how drastically it changed from concept to completion. lol

Caradoc
30th May 2012, 08:26
I really enjoyed this game, but they should indeed work a GOTY edition. Few ideas:

1. Incorporate the missing link DLC into main campaign as it was meant to be.

2. Restore some of the cut content, like one or two of those cut city hubs. I'd pay quite much for this.

a) Rebalance how the game rewards experience. What I mean is that stealth, social, hacking, leathal, non leathal etc should all be equal in terms of EXP gain. Its silly that the game rewards non leathal melee hacker path most, when there are so many options how to solve various situations.

-Hacking bonuses are quite overpowered. And by the way it feels downright idiotic that one doesn't get any exp when he uses correct password/key. Orginal DX rewarded the player when he found a datacube that held such information.

-It doesn't make sense that non leathal takedowns reward more exp than leathal ones, when actually both are just as easy to pull off. And how come leathal is always noisy while punching someone on the nose isn't ever? This doesn't make much sense. Some of the animations make sense though like when Jensen slowly strangles the victim behind.

Same can be said about leathal/non leathal firearms.

b) Rebalance augmentation system. Some of the augs feel quite underwhelming and need to have more purpose. Make them more usefull.

4. Redesign the boss fights. Plain and simple as that.

5. Improve the end game, in particular the last level feels somewhat anticlimactic.

6. Mod kit

Shinji Ex
9th Jun 2012, 02:35
Hopefully we will get another full Deus Ex game
but who knows we might get a PSN/Xbox Live Arcade Digital only game as an alternative
which we kind of got already LOL anyways yea your gonna have to talk to Square Enix about DLC ^__^

Kodaemon
10th Jun 2012, 11:59
I'm starting to wish they'd scrap Thiaf since that's obviously a lost cause, and make a juicy expansion for HR instead.

Romeo
11th Jun 2012, 22:55
I'm starting to wish they'd scrap Thiaf since that's obviously a lost cause, and make a juicy expansion for HR instead.
Bwa ha ha. Pretty much, feels like.

NullEntity
24th Jun 2012, 22:55
I would love to see a DLC featuring Anna Kelso and Saxon, It bugged me that they were not references in the main game..

I would love to play through some of the story of the book, or perhaps a side story to the Jenson timeline as Saxon...

All in all I think they were under used characters :)

lowenz
25th Jun 2012, 00:10
I really enjoyed this game, but they should indeed work a GOTY edition. Few ideas:

1. Incorporate the missing link DLC into main campaign as it was meant to be.

2. Restore some of the cut content, like one or two of those cut city hubs. I'd pay quite much for this.

a) Rebalance how the game rewards experience. What I mean is that stealth, social, hacking, leathal, non leathal etc should all be equal in terms of EXP gain. Its silly that the game rewards non leathal melee hacker path most, when there are so many options how to solve various situations.

-Hacking bonuses are quite overpowered. And by the way it feels downright idiotic that one doesn't get any exp when he uses correct password/key. Orginal DX rewarded the player when he found a datacube that held such information.

-It doesn't make sense that non leathal takedowns reward more exp than leathal ones, when actually both are just as easy to pull off. And how come leathal is always noisy while punching someone on the nose isn't ever? This doesn't make much sense. Some of the animations make sense though like when Jensen slowly strangles the victim behind.

Same can be said about leathal/non leathal firearms.

b) Rebalance augmentation system. Some of the augs feel quite underwhelming and need to have more purpose. Make them more usefull.

4. Redesign the boss fights. Plain and simple as that.

5. Improve the end game, in particular the last level feels somewhat anticlimactic.

6. Mod kit
All of this :D

But it's a dream :(

Romeo
25th Jun 2012, 20:57
I love how grabbing someone from behind and flipping them on to the ground hard enough to make them black out is TOTALLY QUIET (You can do this a foot away from another guard, and they wont hear a thing) but sneak up behind someone and slice their throat? Somehow everyone hears that.

Go figure.

asura_01
16th Jul 2012, 22:40
I didn't read the whole thread, could some one update me : will there be another DLC besides the Missing Link?

68_pie
17th Jul 2012, 00:29
NO

JCpies
17th Jul 2012, 09:18
MAYBE

68_pie
17th Jul 2012, 11:46
MAYBE

Let's not get into a pie fight :rasp:

JCpies
17th Jul 2012, 12:48
How are you so sure there will be no more DLC for Human Revolution?

That's just an assumption.

Come at me bro.

Panopticon
2nd Aug 2012, 14:25
Because Elias Toufexis seems a bit busy these days, it's almost been a year since the game's release, no hints at releasing more from the Human Revolution year 2027 era/universe whatsoever except for the end credits of Missing Link (however that can be interpreted in many ways), while I would love more I guess they're better off working on a whole new game instead.

Romeo
3rd Aug 2012, 00:06
How are you so sure there will be no more DLC for Human Revolution?

That's just an assumption.

Come at me bro.
No one ever said there'd be no more DLC for the original Mass Effect either. But there's no more DLC for the original Mass Effect coming, is there? Let's be honest, Human Revolution is done. It's time to patiently await the next installment.

JCpies
3rd Aug 2012, 21:56
No one ever said there'd be no more DLC for the original Mass Effect either. But there's no more DLC for the original Mass Effect coming, is there? Let's be honest, Human Revolution is done. It's time to patiently await the next installment.

Still, it doesn't mean there will never be any more Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC. There's still time for more Mass Effect (1) DLC. Anything is possible, you might grow a second head in the future, we can't know for sure.

68_pie
3rd Aug 2012, 22:07
Anything is possible

You're being an ass...

Romeo
4th Aug 2012, 19:34
Still, it doesn't mean there will never be any more Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC. There's still time for more Mass Effect (1) DLC. Anything is possible, you might grow a second head in the future, we can't know for sure.
Nah, my current one is big enough to do the job of two anyways. :D

valleyevs
3rd Sep 2012, 11:55
Anybody think they should do some more DLC? The missing link was the best DLC I've played in a long while. I was thinking they should do some DLC after the ending where Jensen is being pursued by Page/MJ12 or where Adam is kicking some ass in Australia during the Civil War. They could have it where Adam is working with Eliza Cassan or the person at the end of the missing link. A nice 5 or 6 hour DLC for like 10 or 15 bucks I would happily pay for.

JCpies
3rd Sep 2012, 14:13
I'm sure they will produce it out of thin air at your behest.

valleyevs
3rd Sep 2012, 14:39
I'm sure they will produce it out of thin air at your behest.

Aww you really think so?

JCpies
3rd Sep 2012, 15:22
Nothing is impossible.

68_pie
3rd Sep 2012, 17:50
Top of the second page of the forum: Will there be more DLC after Missing Link? (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=123193)

Lock 'em up :)

Jerion
3rd Sep 2012, 17:52
Cough.

Merged.

rhoark
5th Sep 2012, 15:35
I doubt there will be more DLC at this point, since they are probably squarely focused on Thief 4 now. It would be really amazing though if owners of the Missing Link could play it seamlessly as part of the main campaign.

The next Deus Ex game has a number of solid choices in the established canon. Going all the way back to the original pitch document for Deus Ex 1 (when it was called Troubleshooter) we have the player as a mercenary/assassin whom Adam is using to dismantle the Illuminati. There's also the MJ12 coup against Everett/DeBeers, which could interact with Adam's agenda or be its own ballgame. Finally, there's the Northwest secession.

JcDenton4321
18th Sep 2012, 22:09
Yes I to would like to know if there will be another DXHR DLC. If I where them I would set the game after DXHR but before DX1. Mexicantown Massacre would be an ok DLC two and not to mention Deus EX The Icarus Effect. The book was very good and that if done right it could be used as a DLC. Then there's the northwest war which in my opinion could in many ways be used as a DLC but at the same time be a sequel of DXHR but still be a prequel to DX1. Now this is just me but I think Adam is Paul's father and in deus ex 1 Bob sends an MIB to fight you but before the MIB get's up there Bob say's "I'm sending up the man who did the job" meaning the people that killed JC's parents. I think it would be epic to see a physiopharmaceutical augmented guy vs a Mechanical augmented person. ( MIB vs Adam)

Romeo
19th Sep 2012, 05:15
People, it's been months without so much as a peep from the dev team.

They aren't working on DLC. Let it go. lol

mortuus
2nd Oct 2012, 14:24
Je what a shame :( but how sad since we wanted more i dont understand this....

Romeo
2nd Oct 2012, 19:05
Je what a shame :( but how sad since we wanted more i dont understand this....
I'm with you on that, I assumed Missing Link would've net them a tidy sum. The only explanation I can think of is while Human Revolution sold a ton, many of those sales weren't hardcore fans, and thus, wouldn't invest in the DLC, making it too poor a proposition.

Whatever the case, I sincerely hope they've already started work on a sequel, even if only in conceptualization.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
3rd Oct 2012, 14:24
whatever it is, it's going to be good, detroit was the beginning, then Hengsha wow...

Waaahsabi
22nd Nov 2012, 10:07
Quite frankly, even though the technology they used for DXHR might not be top of the line by now, it still is more than viable as a platform for more DX content, not only DLCs, but i daresay even for any sequel to it. Hell, i'd even throw my money at a DX1+2 remake using the same software foundation. At full price. Plus DLCs. The DXHR platform is simply perfect for any DX incarnation, the game mechanics are just spot on. So why not continue using it...

And Eidos, if funding seems to be an issue, go for Crowdfunding. It works.

sandkiller
11th Jan 2013, 15:38
Loved Missing Link, great value for money.

Would love to see more story/missions DLC!

Reven
11th Jan 2013, 16:27
I really wish I could answer Waaahsabi's post about crowdfunding but since he is unlikely to ever read it I will refrain and leave others to see the obsurdity of it. As for EM we already know they are working on the multiplayer aspect of Tomb Raider (I would spit but water is life to we freman) so there is no chance in hell of any DX related content until DX 4 is announced.

I also think that they may be working in part on thief 4 since that game has been in development hell for ages now.