PDA

View Full Version : What do "esse," "cabron," and "cholo" mean?

PugPug
19th Oct 2011, 23:54
In conversations with Zeke Sanders they seem to be used interchangeably where I would expect "hombre" or just "buddy" to be said, but there has to be more to them than that.

Oh, and how did Zeke get into Sarif HQ to put a note on your door undetected? I know he's a former Marine, but it still seems unlikely. So am I, by the way, before any Marines reading get all excited.

Khezef
19th Oct 2011, 23:57
They are spanish swearwords.

Vasarto
19th Oct 2011, 23:59
Really? So Esse is the equivalent of what? F-Bomber? Sheet head?

Khezef
20th Oct 2011, 00:05
I dont know about esse exactly, but Cabron is A-hole and cholo is like a mexican guido.

imported_BoB_
20th Oct 2011, 00:21
Esse is like ni--az.

Locutus of BORG
20th Oct 2011, 01:20
'Esse' just means 'dude'

sonicsidewinder
20th Oct 2011, 01:22
I hadn't heard of 'cholo' before this game haha.

but it's a good one :D.

"Nice try Cholo!"

*...don't know whether to feel offended or not....decide to feel offended. shoots Ezekiel.*

MaxxQ1
20th Oct 2011, 05:03
Oddly enough, the use of "cholo" in the game confused me somewhat. The first time I heard the word used was in the original (John Carpenter) version of Assault on Precinct 13. The word was used referring to a glass bowl filled with the blood of the gang members trying to take out the police station.

TBH, the spanish swear words I would have expected to hear would be "puta" and "pendejo".

drunkrussian9
20th Oct 2011, 07:01
How have you guys never heard of these words? Just about every spanish gangster movie has them, scarface included.

Solidino
20th Oct 2011, 07:04
Even in Resident Evil 4....

MaxxQ1
20th Oct 2011, 07:49
How have you guys never heard of these words? Just about every spanish gangster movie has them, scarface included.

Never seen it...

Even in Resident Evil 4....

Never played it...

drunkrussian9
20th Oct 2011, 07:52
Never seen it...

Have you ever seen a movie with a spanish gangster?

Brockxz
20th Oct 2011, 08:08

Have seen the movie (multiple times as it is one of my favourite movies from 80ties) but i don't remember those words there. As maxxq1 said, puta and pendejo is more common used swear words than those in the game. Also i remember more use of f word in Scarface than any other spanish swear word :D

MaxxQ1
20th Oct 2011, 08:41
Have you ever seen a movie with a spanish gangster?

I'm sure I have, but none come to mind at the moment. I know "esse" and "cabron" from other places. My roommate when I was in air force tech school was hispanic, and I also has a squadron mate who was from Puerto Rico (last name was Pantoja - you can imagine all the ribbing he got from people calling him "pendejo"), and one of my weapons load crew team was hispanic as well. Not to mention, the last base I was stationed at was in New Mexico - quite a few Mexicans and Hispanics there...

Oh, yeah... just remembered another spanish swear word: "cuna tu" (the "n" should have the squiggly line over it). That would be the "f" word + "you".

InGroove2
20th Oct 2011, 16:58
Oddly enough, the use of "cholo" in the game confused me somewhat. The first time I heard the word used was in the original (John Carpenter) version of Assault on Precinct 13. The word was used referring to a glass bowl filled with the blood of the gang members trying to take out the police station.

TBH, the spanish swear words I would have expected to hear would be "puta" and "pendejo".

HR definitely has "pendejo" in there at least once.

EricaLeeV
20th Oct 2011, 18:40
Around here, in South Texas, cholo isn't necessarily a bad term but it is usually a term used in jest between good friends (males).

'Esse' does essentially mean dude like Borg said.

Cabron isn't used very much around here though to my knowledge.

WildcatPhoenix
20th Oct 2011, 19:53
Around here, in South Texas, cholo isn't necessarily a bad term but it is usually a term used in jest between good friends (males).

'Esse' does essentially mean dude like Borg said.

Cabron isn't used very much around here though to my knowledge.

"Cabron" is pretty common as well, actually. My brother and I used to think it was funny to order "tacos al cabron (instead of carbon)" at Mexican restaurants.

The waiters never got the joke. :hmm:

But yeah, "guey," "esse," and "cabron" are all forms of address that juvenile or young adult male friends might use to address one another, but a stranger shouldn't use at all. "Pendejo" and "puta" are always derogatory, though, which is probably why Sanders didn't use them (he didn't seem particularly hostile toward Jensen during most of these conversations...just trying to sound like a tough guy).

EricaLeeV
20th Oct 2011, 19:58
"Cabron" is pretty common as well, actually. My brother and I used to think it was funny to order "tacos al cabron (instead of carbon)" at Mexican restaurants.

Like I said I'm sure cabron could be common but none of the individuals of Mexican descent I know around here really use it.