PDA

View Full Version : SPOILERS The missing link and HR endings are linked

snowman2009
19th Oct 2011, 23:15
Discuss Missing Link ending and DX HR ending possibilities
read further for more details.

SPOILERS:

Forgive me for fanboyanism, but I am just so excited; let me explain why.
Original Human Revolution Endings had one that I as well as others believed would fit perfectly in to DX 1. This ending involved blowing up everything and thus killing every one.
Even though it fit I just couldn't believe that this would be the real ending as Adam Jensen was such a well crafted character (follow the P.S. section for more explanation)
BUT the missing link ending reveals what I believe could lead to a sequel, (it seems that EIDOS developers are not willing to let Adam go so easily). The ending reveals that there is another secret group of people, not just the Belltower string pullers (and oh yes Bob Page is involved in there too), but the group that is trying to fight them and they have plans for Jensen.
Missing link Ending says something like this

Adam could have been an asset.
Not like this, he has too much baggage.
If you follow my instructions you will find him.
Assuming he lives that long.

This leads me to believe that Adam is not going to perish at the final moments of the game (the cannon ending that so many believed was perfect for DX 1, including me). And possibly in DX HR sequel Adam will be somehow involved with this other group of people (there are moments where you hear the voice of the other person, but i just can not figure out who that is. Possibly even Adam might be involved in Statue of Liberty blow up and thus lead to UNATCO's creation and maybe DX 1 remake, but I am jumping to conclusions =)

Discuss plz

P.S.
(yes batman voice is hated by some, but you cannot deny game incredible beginning and the hooks it places in you from the opening scene. I mean this is not only a revenge story it is personal as you see everything happening as if it happened to you. Your woman is taken away from you and possibly killed (i believed that Megan was alive and a few scenes in the beginning placed that seed in my brain), your body broken and you are shot in the face. Oh the main BADY has just done it, he crossed the line in more then one way and now were out to get him!). This and the awesome opening just sold it for me. At that moment i knew Adam was just too good of a character to let go and hoped he would continue his quest in more then one game, just like Snake from MGS.
P.S. 2
Sorry for spelling and fanboyanism =)

Totalchicken
20th Oct 2011, 19:51
That.. is possible =P

Imperator
20th Oct 2011, 20:12
Perhaps, I got the wrong impression....but didn't the supposed counter conspirator who professes to be fighting the illuminati then talk to one of them (with the distorted voice) as Jensen departed? My impression is that he was lying to Jensen yet again about who he was and the nature of his agenda. It seemed he was in fact also one of the illuminati, and was using Jensen to facilitate the obfuscation of their role in Burke's activities and shift blame on Belltower and Burke as scapegoats. The project at Panchea, for which these human computers were needed, was going live soon and they needed to do this anyway. Tying up some loose ends to avoid comeback or discovery.

A secret society trying to fight another secret society would be an awesome basis for further Deus Ex adventures though, I agree. I just don't think the Russian at the end was telling the truth in this particular instance. He just told Jensen what he wanted to hear, as he openly admitted doing with the Commander in the same conversation.

cqc_batman
20th Oct 2011, 20:14
I don't understand. Who actually hates Adam Jensens voice. I think it's perfect just like JC Denton.

drunkrussian9
20th Oct 2011, 22:16
"We're just getting started" eidos

Imagine what the world looks like after the signal stops broadcasting. It would be a complete mess, I don't even know where eidos could begin to pick up the pieces.

Imperator
20th Oct 2011, 23:00
"We're just getting started" eidos

Imagine what the world looks like after the signal stops broadcasting. It would be a complete mess, I don't even know where eidos could begin to pick up the pieces.

The different end choices do make it difficult to make a sequal. I think an easier and cooler way of doing it, would be to make a spin off. I think they should make a story with a different character in a timeframe that is parallel to Human Revolution, and have it tie in with HR's story and supporting characters. Human Revolution from a different perspective. Hell, why not play a character on the side of the illuminati? Haha

Rtech
20th Oct 2011, 23:45
Perhaps, I got the wrong impression....but didn't the supposed counter conspirator who professes to be fighting the illuminati then talk to one of them (with the distorted voice) as Jensen departed? My impression is that he was lying to Jensen yet again about who he was and the nature of his agenda. It seemed he was in fact also one of the illuminati, and was using Jensen to facilitate the obfuscation of their role in Burke's activities and shift blame on Belltower and Burke as scapegoats. The project at Panchea, for which these human computers were needed, was going live soon and they needed to do this anyway. Tying up some loose ends to avoid comeback or discovery.

A secret society trying to fight another secret society would be an awesome basis for further Deus Ex adventures though, I agree. I just don't think the Russian at the end was telling the truth in this particular instance. He just told Jensen what he wanted to hear, as he openly admitted doing with the Commander in the same conversation.

Our friend "Quinn" was speaking to Janus the hacker. The name of the hacker was mentioned in the book. "Quinn" even asks what he thinks of Janus the symbol.

Imperator
21st Oct 2011, 00:00
Our friend "Quinn" was speaking to Janus the hacker. The name of the hacker was mentioned in the book. "Quinn" even asks what he thinks of Janus the symbol.

My theory completely debunked lol. Looks like I'm going to have to buy the Icarus Effect. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Rtech
21st Oct 2011, 04:05
I call it now, Jensen will join NSF in a sequel to Human Revolution.

Kaylord
21st Oct 2011, 07:34
Back when DX3 was announced, I was opposing the idea of a prequel. While it turned out very well, especially the mood of the story with all this visible augmentations, the end and the DLC already have to sort out a lot of difficulties if they want to fit into DX1. As I pointed out that time, these limits may hamper possibilities for a good story.

BTW, did anyone get the remark from Quinn in the end about the raging "invisible war" which unfortunately was "profoundly misconcepted"? A very funny sideblow against DX2 between the lines here, imo!

Concerning the OP, I want to first elaborate a bit on the ending of the original game:

I think the choice of endings of DX3 were underwhelming. With a nod to the franchise┬┤s title, it was a true "deus ex machina". The term comes from antique drama, when a story suddenly and unexpectedly was plot-twisted and resolved by a god who came down from sky. To simulate this, the actor of the god was levitated on stage by a lifting machine, thus "deus ex machina".
Basically it is a negative critique for a story, because the ending is in no way connected to the development of the characters and setting layed out before.
Exactly this happens at the end of DX3. Eliza is the deus ex machina, presenting some endings with a simple button click. This is very ironic, and wouldn┬┤t it be so sad and unsatisfying for the story-arc, I would nevertheless call this a very artistic ending.

The ending of The Missing Link (TML) was for me far more satisfying. We are back to the big conspiracy thing, although this becomes far more the driving theme of the franchise than a deus ex machina, be it in a antique drama sense or in the mainstream science-fiction meaning. It is good to have some mystery still lingering. OTOH, I am still missing the ethic conflict between machine and human. This seems to be the stage, but not the setting of all.

If you take the meaning of "link" to the DX3-ending, then that link is very weak. Ok, there is still a layer of conspiracy unveiled, ok we got sufficiently fore/after-shadowed that Megan is not the woman Jensen always believed in. Ok, we know more about the production of human/machine hybrids. We feel satisfied because we could smash a truly evil villain. We feel important because somebody recognized our deeds. But the missing link, I still cannot see.

I would be happy if Eidos would evolute the truly missing link about this still underdeveloped theme of human/machine ethics in a future DLC.