PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations, Eidos, on making a hacking minigame that doesn't suck!

PugPug
12th Oct 2011, 19:15
It's kind of amazing. It took years of people saying "the trouble with minigames is that they get old fast" for a game developer to decide to make each lock a unique puzzle.

Well, a few puzzles are repeated in the same area, but you get the idea. :thumb:

mug3n
14th Oct 2011, 16:40
i was actually quite bored with the hacking after about halfway through on my first run at the game. it just felt like there were exponentially more and more doors/computers to hack even though it probably wasn't the case.

of course at the beginning when you go from beginner's luck/no idea wtf i am doing but i hacked it anyways to slowly picking up optimal paths and beating the clock, i thought it was kinda fun, but it eventually became a chore for me.

to each their own though.

Locutus of BORG
14th Oct 2011, 17:00
I liked hacking in this game. :)

HERESY
14th Oct 2011, 17:14
I loved hacking. I used the stealth and fortify along with lvl 5 hacking. However, I didn't use the augs that allowed you to see what was inside the nodes that contained loot.

sonicsidewinder
14th Oct 2011, 17:25
That's great considering hacking is one of the more broken mechanics of the game.

However, I didn't use the augs that allowed you to see what was inside the nodes that contained loot.

and that's just a part of the overall problem.

HERESY
14th Oct 2011, 17:34
That's great considering hacking is one of the more broken mechanics of the game.

and that's just a part of the overall problem.

Why do you say it is one of the most broken mechanics of the game what do you say is the overall problem?

brangdon
14th Oct 2011, 20:39
At the moment (second play-through) I like hacking. It has a fair amount of depth to it, if you want to pay attention. I think it's probably a mistake to upgrade all of the hacking augs, as it's more interesting when it's more challenging.

WildcatPhoenix
14th Oct 2011, 21:29
I enjoyed the hacking mini-game, and I'm as big a Deus Ex purist as they come.

I don't, however, think hacking should be applied to doors. Doors, like most things in Deus Ex, should be a multipath challenge. You should be able to:

1. Pick the lock
2. Find the key
3. Blow the hinge off/destroy the door
4. Bypass a locked door via alternate route (vent shaft, stack crates over fences, etc)

Hacking should be limited to computers, ATMs (please bring these back in DX4!), security terminals, and alarm panels. Or, even better, mix in some doors with electronic locks and others with mechanical ones...kinda like in the real world (hey, what an idea!)

brangdon
14th Oct 2011, 21:48
Most doors are a multipath challenge. You can:

Hack them (equivalent to picking the lock).
Find the code (equivalent to finding the key).
Break them open.
By-pass them with another route.
Although a different minigame for lock-picking might have been nice for variety, I don't care enough to wish the developers had spent time on it. Also, it's not easy to design minigames that are any good. The lock-picking in Thief 3 looks fairly cool but is nothing special to play, for example. Likewise Fallout 3. Better to have one strong minigame than two weak ones.

ZakKa89
14th Oct 2011, 21:54
Even the hacking minigames are multi-path / multisolution.

I despise hacking minigames in other games (I am looking at you mass effect 2m not even much of a 'game'), but DEHR really have set a standard. It never got old in my 50 hour playtrough.

WildcatPhoenix
14th Oct 2011, 21:56
Most doors are a multipath challenge. You can:

Hack them (equivalent to picking the lock).
Find the code (equivalent to finding the key).
Break them open.
By-pass them with another route.

You can break open locked doors with explosives? I'll be honest, I haven't even tried it (just shot my first camera on my second playthrough yesterday...not that it's all that good a solution). Will a standard grenade do it, or do you need rockets?

MaxxQ1
14th Oct 2011, 22:31
You can break open locked doors with explosives? I'll be honest, I haven't even tried it (just shot my first camera on my second playthrough yesterday...not that it's all that good a solution). Will a standard grenade do it, or do you need rockets?

It depends on the door. There should be a pop-up that will tell you the strength of the door, just like in DX. I also think some doors *can't* be blown open and you will need to hack them if you don't have the code.

I've never blown open a door in the game, so I don't know what it would take to do it.

PugPug
15th Oct 2011, 01:16
You can also blast down a door with enough bullets. I only tested the theory once, with the heavy rifle. Then I said "screw it" and got some hacking ability. I was trying to play without it.

My only real problem with hacking is that it gives XP. You should be able to go any route you wish without worrying about missing out on advancing your character. Instead we have to hack everything and explore every ventilation shaft to be sure we got all the XP.

mad825
15th Oct 2011, 01:22
Felt like too much of a grind simply because there were too many in one area. You could hunt for the code/key or break down the door (requires more work than that's actually needed) but you'll lose out on the XP and the credits.

MaxxQ1
15th Oct 2011, 01:25
Felt like too much of a grind simply because there were too many in one area. You could hunt for the code/key or break down the door but you'll lose out on the XP and the credits.

This.^^^

If EM were to remove XP for hacking, it would also go a long way towards eliminating my biggest beef with the game: being able to get *all* the augs and their upgrades. There's no real downside to picking augs as it stands right now.