PDA

View Full Version : UNCHARTED?

invader
5th Oct 2011, 00:58
When I played the Uncharted 2 demo on PS3, I didn'tt get impressed cuz I had that feeling "I've played that before". Tho grpahics were good and so, the climbing and shooting seemed kind of burocratic. It is obvious that the Uncharted games is to some extent TR inspired. But then a friend lent me his copy of Uncharted (1) and I was able to see the big picture. Uncharted with its highs and lows has had more success where last TR games have let some fans down: more psciologically anf phisically realistic characters and a more coherent plot.

I was disapointed by Underworld, it was just ok. Actually I liked Anniversary more, maybe for nostagia.

Now I can't wait for the new game... for all I have seen it seems that Lara is really uncharted... :cool:

Andy64
5th Oct 2011, 03:22
I will agree that Underworld was poor for a TR game and I am shocked to see how disjointed it's plot ended up. The dialogue was so long winded I found myself more annoyed at Lara rather than sympathetic over the mother story. If they had gone with a tail of revenge over the fire would have improved it. Indeed Underworld was only okay but I wouldn't put it as the bar for the standand of TR games more just a bad blip.

Uncharted borrowed so heavily off TR so I won't give it too much credit. It does have some advantage attention wise of being a new series. If anything I hope Uncharted gets CD back into gear again now we have serious competition though this change everything concept they have could end up just putting us even closer to Uncharted and more in it's wake. TR is is it's own series and shouldn't go that way.

invader
6th Oct 2011, 12:51
TR is is it's own series and shouldn't go that way.

I partially agree. :) TR must keep its identity (whatever it might be). However, there's no shame in following good ideas... Actually what TR series really need is pro writers. I believe it is easier to make a great game from a great plot than the contrary.

a_big_house
6th Oct 2011, 19:41
/\ Following good ideas from a game that just happens to be based off the game to start with? No... Underworld's story was fine, it was just the levels and length that let it down

Ants_27_
10th Oct 2011, 20:30
Wait, there was a story in Underworld?

Oh, so there was. Yeah I was extremely disappointed by it as it really didn't do anything, lacked any form of depth really, for me at least.

But tis good to see that the new one is seemingly on course to correct the train wreck underworld was.

invader
13th Oct 2011, 02:41
Comparison is inevitable, this one is funny:

{removed}

invader
16th Oct 2011, 14:01
What a pity, it was funny, but I had no intention to disturb. Anywayz,that is what makes the two series different: essentially Uncharted is a TR for grownups, but I guess it will never get bigger than TR 'cause it is PS exclusive. Well I like cartoons too :) and play the new reboot, whatever it comes out.

tombraidergal
16th Oct 2011, 14:23
Uncharted is actually good. After playing it i thought they were similar, but they're also very different. No offense to lara, but uncharted 2 story line is so much better than underworld.
I literally loved uncharted, yes it was frustrating and stuff but it took me longer to complete than underworld. Both are good games though :)

dark7angel
16th Oct 2011, 14:47
Uncharted is actually good. After playing it i thought they were similar, but they're also very different. No offense to lara, but uncharted 2 story line is so much better than underworld.
I literally loved uncharted, yes it was frustrating and stuff but it took me longer to complete than underworld. Both are good games though :)

Totally agree with you, trgal! One of the strongest points in favour of Uncharted is the story lines!
I didn't get frustrated playing it, but I did find it more challenging than Underworld.

d1n0_xD
16th Oct 2011, 15:51
^ Agreed on that! Man, I wonder what stuff will unveil in the new game :D

dark7angel
16th Oct 2011, 15:59
^ Agreed on that! Man, I wonder what stuff will unveil in the new game :D

I KNOW, RIGHT!?!?!!!!! It comes out next month!!!!! I can't wait!!!!! :D

invader
17th Oct 2011, 13:57
Totally agree with you, trgal! One of the strongest points in favour of Uncharted is the story lines!
I didn't get frustrated playing it, but I did find it more challenging than Underworld.

Yeah, actually I played the Wii no-sharks version... so I guess I got a little more frustrated, but that was fun. I've bought the TR triology PS3 pack and I'll replay Underworld sometime.

BlueSkiesXXV
19th Oct 2011, 09:57
Check this out. They have got the real Indiana Jones to do a Japanese TV commercial for Uncharted 3. Talk about inspired!!! Here is the extended version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI3tsWus2KQ

invader
22nd Oct 2011, 01:37
Cool. Will we have Angelina test-driving the new TR too? LOL
Both games are similar but different too. I'd say both are great. But, today, Uncharted is superior because it is better to make u immerse in the game thru cinematics and gameplay. And it is hard these days not to label Lara as selfish killing Barbie. She plays for sport, after all. By the way, it is quite easy to associate Lara with Chloe. Whay do u think?

Ants_27_
5th Nov 2011, 11:15
Just been playing a bit of Uncharted 3 (my mate rented it you see) and I will always love the game for its feel of actual production. Okay, I ran across a glitch before but that was just one, so I look forward to seeing how the story-line will develop (although I've missed a few bits of it, of course as he's been playing through it).

RaiderMark
6th Nov 2011, 23:00
I've been playing a bit of Uncharted 3 (I rented it you see) and I will always dislike the game for its feel of lack of production. Okay, I've not ran across a glitch yet but not been playing it long. I'm not really looking forward to seeing how the story-line will develop (I've not missed any of it so far of course as I've been playing through it).

dark7angel
7th Nov 2011, 19:55
My Uncharted 3 copy has finally arrived and I'm LOVING it so far!!! The game is amazing, very cinematic and I'm loving the improvements they made in gameplay!!! Awesome game is awesome! :cool:

d1n0_xD
7th Nov 2011, 21:27
^ I'm jealous :( XD

Error96_
8th Nov 2011, 01:17
Wait, there was a story in Underworld?

Oh, so there was. Yeah I was extremely disappointed by it as it really didn't do anything, lacked any form of depth really, for me at least.

The story for TRU was a complete mess and the sad thing was that Legend actually had a brilliant story so there was no justification for TRU's to be so bad. Far from it being Lara's breast size that made her difficult to connect to it was the long winded dialogue, sulkyness and daftness of the plot. It is clear TR is going to get thrashed Uncharted if the TR stories don't improve. The new TR plot is brill but how much of it is from CD and how much copied directly from the script of Lost. I wouldn't play Uncharted as I have huge loyality to TR but I agree it probably is the better games at the moment.

What a pity, it was funny, but I had no intention to disturb. Anywayz,that is what makes the two series different: essentially Uncharted is a TR for grownups, but I guess it will never get bigger than TR 'cause it is PS exclusive. Well I like cartoons too :) and play the new reboot, whatever it comes out.

This idea that Uncharted is for grown up and TR for teenagers I find very strainge. In fact TR2 was critised for having too much violence and have too gory spike deaths at the time. AOD has some quite violent screnes with the proto-nephilim and monstrom killings. It seems the younger targeting started with Legend particually with things like fade to black death. I am glad TR is going back to M-rating. Outside of the changes to Lara's look (which I really hate) I think CD is going back in the right direction.

invader
19th Jan 2012, 15:37
... In fact TR2 was critised for having too much violence and have too gory spike deaths at the time. AOD has some quite violent screnes with the proto-nephilim and monstrom killings. It seems the younger targeting started with Legend particually with things like fade to black death. I am glad TR is going back to M-rating. Outside of the changes to Lara's look (which I really hate) I think CD is going back in the right direction.

Well, that is why I particularly miss old Core Design (RIP). To me, Crystal Dynamics is an average "OK" developer.

jakobsen
19th Jan 2012, 21:16
I wouldn't play Uncharted as I have huge loyality to TR but I agree it probably is the better games at the moment.

Same here, first thing why I don't play Uncharted, loyality to TR. ;)
(I have only played it a bit)