PDA

View Full Version : LETHAL GHOST Playthrough Challenge

drunkrussian9
3rd Oct 2011, 14:37
Your goal is to achieve ghost without the use of augs, silenced weapons and takedowns, while still killing every enemy.

1 WEAPON
Use the pistol (with the armor piercing upgrade only). It should be enough for most enemies. Heavies should be dealt with using explosives.

EXPLOSIVES ARE YOUR BEST FRIEND
Gas grenades, concussion grenades, URDEDs etc are very effective against all enemies, and should be used with strategic placement. Always carry a large amount.

SURPRISE!
Use the element of surprise as a way to dismantle your enemies. For instance, a concussion grenade will do a lot of damage if paired with an explosive. It will allow you to eliminate a number of enemies and while still being able to kill the rest without much trouble.

NO AUGS OR TAKEDOWNS
You read correct. As time progresses I'll find a way to disable radar as well as health regen. You should equip yourself with many AUDs, they come in very handy.

If you manage to achieve ghost while following these rules, I would truly commend you. It isn't easy . . .

Kodaemon
3rd Oct 2011, 14:55
Rules are a bit too arbitrary, methinks. Also, "lethal ghost" sounds a bit off. May I suggest "vengeful spirit"? ;)

gyron
3rd Oct 2011, 16:20
LOL. Have you tried to play by your own rules and get at least one 'ghost'?

It's self-contradictory:
non-silenced weapon = every enemy knows your location = no ghost without cloak
non-upgraded weapon = not killing a heavy in one shot
not killing an enemy in one shot = no ghost
explosives = no ghost

How about something plausible, like "lethal take-downs-only" or "silenced pistol ghost".

Locutus of BORG
3rd Oct 2011, 16:26
^Agreed. Those are pretty arbitrary rules.

Lethal Takedowns only would be a worthy challenge. Dunno how it'd stack up to the other ones though..

Silenced Pistol Ghost... the challenge that most of the DXHR community probably pulled off by their 1st / 2nd PT

gyron
3rd Oct 2011, 16:55
Silienced Pistol Ghost... the challenge that most of the DXHR community probably pulled off by their 1st / 2nd PT

I dunno, man.

Look at the Steam statistics... (http://steamcommunity.com/stats/DXHR/achievements/)
Just 1 in 35 got 'Foxiest of the Hounds'! And it is an achievement for avoiding alarms only, i.e. not making stupid mistakes. Getting ghost is much harder, especially doing a full Ghost run with restrictions on top.

Sure, it may seem TO US like it's easy, but not THAT many people could play this game stealthily, not to mention complete this sort of challenges. :hmm:

drunkrussian9
3rd Oct 2011, 18:15
LOL. Have you tried to play by your own rules and get at least one 'ghost'?

It's self-contradictory:
non-silenced weapon = every enemy knows your location = no ghost without cloak
non-upgraded weapon = not killing a heavy in one shot
not killing an enemy in one shot = no ghost
explosives = no ghost

How about something plausible, like "lethal take-downs-only" or "silenced pistol ghost".
Getting ghost with takedowns or silenced weapons is way too easy. And it is indeed possible, enemies don't automatically see you if an explosive went off or if they got shot :confused:

Is this too difficult of a challenge? I suppose I may be the only one that likes a challenge :(

Ill attempt to record an mission with such restrictions. It ain't as hard as it seems eheh

gyron
3rd Oct 2011, 19:29
Getting ghost with takedowns or silenced weapons is way too easy. And it is indeed possible, enemies don't automatically see you if an explosive went off or if they got shot :confused:
They don't. But if you fail to kill them in one shot it takes them half a second to spot you. Like I've told you -- heavy soldiers will survive a shot from any non-upgraded weapon, so you will stuck on them. And explosion means a lot of bodies with a very little time to hide them AND everyone coming to investigate the place -- why even risk it?

Actually I've done a while ago what you're suggesting (kill everyone/get ghost) but with lethal take-downs in Sarif's plant. (Lethal take-downs are not "easy" since they produce the same amount of noise as gunshots.) I can tell you from experience that this run will be tedious to do and boring to watch.

Is this too difficult of a challenge? I suppose I may be the only one that likes a challenge :(
I don't doubt it's difficulty. It's just seem like a very boring kind of difficulty that will take a lot of reloading and will depend on the same basic tactics in every level. If you think you can make it interesting -- just show us a video :)

Ill attempt to record an mission with such restrictions. It ain't as hard as it seems eheh
Start with TYM Penthouse, it's the hardest level, so you'll see immediately if you approach will work.

sonicsidewinder
3rd Oct 2011, 19:56
"Lethal Ghost". I love it.

Murtagh and Riggs teaming up with Patrick Swayze. It'd be legend! :)

drunkrussian9
3rd Oct 2011, 20:03
They don't. But if you fail to kill them in one shot it takes them half a second to spot you. Like I've told you -- heavy soldiers will survive a shot from any non-upgraded weapon, so you will stuck on them. And explosion means a lot of bodies with a very little time to hide them AND everyone coming to investigate the place -- why even risk it?The heavy soldiers will indeed be a challenge. I'll plan something out once I reach them. After all, what would be the point of this if it got easier? lol

Actually I've done a while ago what you're suggesting (kill everyone/get ghost) but with lethal take-downs in Sarif's plant. (Lethal take-downs are not "easy" since they produce the same amount of noise as gunshots.) I can tell you from experience that this run will be tedious to do and boring to watch.
It's actually (from experience) pretty fun and strategic. I've found new uses for many things in my inventory. I am now going through Sarif's plant and I'm up to the area right after the hostages. So far, not one enemy hostile =)

I don't doubt it's difficulty. It's just seem like a very boring kind of difficulty that will take a lot of reloading and will depend on the same basic tactics in every level. If you think you can make it interesting -- just show us a video :)
Yes, it requires precision(I use the pistol and headshot everyone), and it requires a plan. I shall be making a video as soon as my screen stops looking like a mirror lol.

Start with TYM Penthouse, it's the hardest level, so you'll see immediately if you approach will work.Already started, and I'll attempt the TYM. I already snuck through it once with no augs, this shouldn't be that difficult.

Just to get you a frame of reference, I used a ur-ded in the room near the room that they're keeping the hostages, all the enemies came to investigate, and BAM, theyre all dead lol.

gyron
3rd Oct 2011, 20:32
Ok, good luck on your run.

But I still don't believe it can be done with the rules you've posted :) Two main objections:
1) What will you do when you run out of explosives? I'm asking because there are ~350 enemies and just ~40 explosives total (ur-ded+gas+frag grenades) -- not enough for everybody.
2) How do you plan to kill heavier enemies with non-upgraded pistol? You HAVE to plan beforehand here: either save explosives for them or get the anti-armor upgrade for your pistol.

I know Sarif's Plant can be done this way -- it's the later levels I'm not sure about. I've suggested Penthouse because it has a lot of heavy enemies close together, there is a little room to hide the bodies and it has a very fast way to check if you get ghost or not (just use the lift). If you can do the Penthouse then I'll be convinced that you can play the rest of the game as lethal ghost.

drunkrussian9
3rd Oct 2011, 21:58
Theres a bit of odd behavior in the stronger guards, for instance, if you shoot them in the back, they turn hostile meaning they saw you. Which is odd since the Sarif invaders actually turn around frantically looking for you. I'm working on figuring out which weapon can actually give me some leverage with the guys with helmets. Would an armor piercing pistol kill them with one shot?

Painman
4th Oct 2011, 00:32
Armor piercing pistol will one-headshot anything besides a super-heavy (Spec Ops Ogre, Heavy Harverster), and that's even without putting any damage upgrades on it.

I'm not sure how many damage upgrades are required in order to doubletap the heavy guys.

Locutus of BORG
4th Oct 2011, 02:21
I dunno, man.

Look at the Steam statistics... (http://steamcommunity.com/stats/DXHR/achievements/)
Just 1 in 35 got 'Foxiest of the Hounds'! And it is an achievement for avoiding alarms only, i.e. not making stupid mistakes. Getting ghost is much harder, especially doing a full Ghost run with restrictions on top.

Sure, it may seem TO US like it's easy, but not THAT many people could play this game stealthily, not to mention complete this sort of challenges. :hmm:
I guess... I'm not a stealth expert by any means, but I still inadvertently 'achieved' a lethal ghost PT on my first run of the game (after giving up on pacifist, lol).

Not so much too difficult as in seemingly self-defeating. Still, I'd be pleasantly surprised if it works out, so l look forward some vids.

gyron
4th Oct 2011, 04:50
Theres a bit of odd behavior in the stronger guards, for instance, if you shoot them in the back, they turn hostile meaning they saw you. Which is odd since the Sarif invaders actually turn around frantically looking for you. I'm working on figuring out which weapon can actually give me some leverage with the guys with helmets. Would an armor piercing pistol kill them with one shot?

Armor piercing pistol will one-headshot anything besides a super-heavy (Spec Ops Ogre, Heavy Harverster), and that's even without putting any damage upgrades on it.

I'm not sure how many damage upgrades are required in order to doubletap the heavy guys.

Painman is right, EVERYONE can be killed with one head shot from a pistol with armor-piercing upgrade only -- besides Ogres and Heavy Harvesters. These two enemy types need 2 shots EVEN from a fully upgraded pistol (armor-piercing + 4 dmg) OR 2 explosives. I guess you only option is to go for double mines/UR-DEDs or gas grenades/mines for these guys. So start saving explosives from the beginning!

You're lucky though, since there are only 7 ogres and 7 heavy harvesters in the game total. And heavy harvesters never affect any Ghost ratings so you may kill them freely.

drunkrussian9
4th Oct 2011, 20:02
So with the armor piercing upgrade, it's doable . . . I'll alter the rules a bit.

I can't say if I'll be able to take proper videos. I have a weak-azz laptop, since my uber PC had a hard drive failure.

gyron
4th Oct 2011, 20:34
If you're using Fraps, set it to "30 fps" and "Half-size" in Video capture setting. Laggy and bad quality videos are better than nothing at all.

One thing I still don't understand though: why do you insist on using only ONE weapon? Why not to mix pistol with occasional lethal take-down or a crossbow? You can kill two enemies with one crossbow bolt, which can be very useful on this run.

drunkrussian9
4th Oct 2011, 22:22
If you're using Fraps, set it to "30 fps" and "Half-size" in Video capture setting. Laggy and bad quality videos are better than nothing at all.

One thing I still don't understand though: why do you insist on using only ONE weapon? Why not to mix pistol with occasional lethal take-down or a crossbow? You can kill two enemies with one crossbow bolt, which can be very useful on this run.
Initially it was just another way to challenge myself. It also helps to keep the inventory clean, considering I didn't upgrade space at all. I also wanted to see if it was doable.

Pistol only run coming up. I'll attempt to fraps it.