PDA

View Full Version : Smokung ---- gun

reindeer
2nd Oct 2011, 20:18
Hello,
my name is Lioba but I go as reindeer. I´ve introduced m`self in the HIVE :o
but that´s beside the point.
I know DX1 DX2 ( please it wasn´t all that bad ) and I have difficulty at keeping
m´self from playing this DX.

There is one question I´d like to hear multiple opinions on:
Why does everyone CHAINSMOKE like there was no tomorrow? :lmao:

Last year in the spring I travelled to the US and Canada - east side - and finished in Montreal.
Last year in summer I did the West ( Montana - Oregon - Washington - canadian Rockies )

Now if anyone knows how to obtain cigarettes in any hotel bar in Montreal or anywhere else in Canada or the US raise your finger!
No, no. Instead the bartender askes a more or less comapssionate question whether you come from Europe
which I usually have to affirm . :hmm:

What I´d like to hear is theories, even if it was conspiracy theories - or should I say, especially those.

regards

reindeer

auric
3rd Oct 2011, 11:03
It is to compensate for players not to personally make their character smoke. :D
all they can do is watch others do it.

I dun remember, but do the other country AIs smoke?
I only remember Detroit's the most because I hang out there a long time doing my videos & still haven't reach the other areas. :D

pukster
3rd Oct 2011, 15:22
I was actually thinking about this too, but more its affect on the overall mood. Like in DX1 they were miserable, so everyone was hooked on heroin (zyme). Here, everyone is smoking, and for some reason I don't like it

sonicsidewinder
3rd Oct 2011, 16:03
Goes with the Cyberpunk mood.

reindeer
3rd Oct 2011, 17:26
Sounds pretty much the way I feel about this. The Chinese smoke like smokestacks too.

But somehow there seems to be an attitude to it; like standing apart from the lucky ones in society, some kind of protest mood.
Well, I am not sure, it´s just a hunch.

meev991
4th Oct 2011, 05:00
Reflects the mood of many players. I chain smoke while playing Deus EX.

Used to be that smoking wasn't a big deal.

Painman
4th Oct 2011, 05:59
I have to say that it's kind of jarring sometimes to see some of the smoking in this game - not so much when it's some guy on the street, but even the Detroit cops light up right inside the police station sometimes.

Heck, I'm a light to moderate smoker myself, and when I see an in-game NPC light up inside a building, I'm like, "What are you doing?!? Go outside!".

Note how nobody uses ashtrays either... they toss the butt on the ground and grind it underneath their shoe. Even on carpet! :eek:

auric
4th Oct 2011, 10:20
Eh what about Limb & TYM?

do they smoke in medical centres? :D

reindeer
4th Oct 2011, 11:09
I don´t remember clearly- guess I just took all the smoking for granted but I think not in LIMB and TYM. I may be wrong though.

My guess is that the devs in Montreal put the smoking in for a purpose same as the scissors for Adam rewarding any pacifist action with more XP points at the same time.

Not sure but most devs will be canadian and american citizens. And the "Zeitgeist" ( good old Gunther Herrman ) that bans smoking. I was there I know; which is why I brought the example of the bartender in a Montreal hotel who was definitely less entertaining than Bobby Bao.

So there is a purpose: this has a rebellious streak...

zenstar
4th Oct 2011, 13:02
It's the future.. Air quality is so bad that smoking actually filters the bad air out a bit so you get 10 minutes of "fresh air".
:P

satan claus
4th Oct 2011, 13:07
It's the future.. Air quality is so bad that smoking actually filters the bad air out a bit so you get 10 minutes of "fresh air".
:P
LOL Just recall me movie "Screamers" . There soldiers smoking anti-radiation cigarettes

Itkovian
4th Oct 2011, 17:35
Goes with the Cyberpunk mood.

This.

Cyberpunk is noir, and that means smoking.

Plus adam has rebreather lungs, he's going to be fine. :)

Itkovian

zenstar
5th Oct 2011, 09:11
This.

Cyberpunk is noir, and that means smoking.

Plus adam has rebreather lungs, he's going to be fine. :)

Itkovian

If you read the comics AJ takes up smoking after having quit 10 years ago.
He narrates (very noir-ish):
"I want the burn of smoke and nicotine in my lungs. But all I feel is my sentinel health system automatically counteracting the damage. Even self-destruction's no fun anymore."