PDA

View Full Version : FFXIV: Battle System

am4nd4uk1
29th Apr 2014, 17:48
Hi.
I bought a realm reborn 2 days ago and have been having fun exploring the land.
I am trying to level up but I dont know how to battle. My task is to kill 3 ladybugs 3 turtles 3 mushrooms (i think but cant remember exact names) they are level 1. I've killed 2 ladybugs but I wondered around them and then it satarted a battle but it plays out automatically. When I try to start battles, most of the time, they do not start even though I am facing an enemy.
When I first went out onto the battlefield, there was a pop up help menu about battling, but I though a ladybug was going to attack me so i exited the area and when I returned the help box never showed again.
Is there any way I can get the help box back or can anyone give me some tips on how to fight. I am struggling to get anywhere with the battles.
thanks
Amanda

Hippy_Pickle
30th Apr 2014, 07:43
Hi Amanda,

What class have you started the game with? Also are you playing on a console or a PC?

am4nd4uk1
30th Apr 2014, 08:27
Gladiator and im playing on ps3

Hippy_Pickle
30th Apr 2014, 09:17
Ok so you press X to target an enemy, then get close enough that the actions on the cross-hotbar light up (numbers turn from red to white), press X again will start auto-attacks which do minimal damage but what you have to do it hold either L2 or R2 (depending on which set of actions you want to use) and then press the button for the action you want to use. To start with it'll probably be R2 + Circle for fast blade, the icons will be greyed out then and go like a clock dial which is the cooldown before you can select another command. As you level up you will unlock more actions and there are combos you can use like Fast Blade followed by Savage Blade, the next action in a combo will be highlighted by a moving dotted line.

If you want to check what an action does you can press start > then actions and traits > then actions which give you a description of the action.

A Gladiator is a tank class which when it comes to dungeons is the lead class, if you are new to MMO's then you might be better changing to a DPS class to make things a bit easier on yourself. Once you reach level 10 with your starting class and complete the job quest (you get job quests every 5 levels) then you can go to any of the other guilds and start another class.

Hippy_Pickle
30th Apr 2014, 10:04
Another thing to look out for is if the enemy aggro's on sight etc. If there is a blue symbol next to their name then it means they will only attack if you attack. Enemies with a red/orange symbol will attack you on sight, either way you can just run away from them and they will stop chasing you after a certain distance.

Grimoire
2nd May 2014, 11:48
Is there any way I can get the help box back?

Here you go. (http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/win/howto/)