PDA

View Full Version : Tranq rifle guide

Spinaltap
28th Sep 2011, 17:41
How do I get the tranq rifle to work properly. Im in Highland park using the rifle with the dart seeking ability and even if I shoot someone 5 times it doesn't knock them out. It worked just fine in detroit and the sarif factory. Yet I can shoot someone up close in the arms, legs, chest, back, head, etc and they still don't drop unconnsesos from the dart. Is this is a bug? I've tried it with and without the seeking turned on yet it is still broken. I'm trying to get the achieve for not killing anyone (minus boss fights) but I guess it doesn't work?

Quillan
28th Sep 2011, 18:11
The dart is not instant; it takes time to knock them out. The tougher the foe, and the farther away from the heart or head (not sure which the game uses) the longer it takes. I've heard of heavies in the late game being shot in the butt taking 45 seconds to pass out. If you hit a light in the head they go down almost instantly, and most of the foes you face in Detroit are lights.

PugPug
28th Sep 2011, 18:13
I have heard that sometimes the dart bounces off of body armor.

ecto69
28th Sep 2011, 19:04
I shot a heavy in the body during Hengsha (in the car garage) and it has a delay of a few seconds or more, (this was actually how to described it in the official guide, so you can shoot him and gets knocked out a bit later)

Spinaltap
28th Sep 2011, 20:53
Are there any videos of showing someone using primarly a tranq rilfe? Especially in the fema camp and onwards in the game? Im getting tired of firing a shot straight into someone, waiting over a minute, and having nothing happen. Maybe the seeking ability doesn't work? and even when i don't use the seeker it is still jived up

luminar
28th Sep 2011, 20:59
Are there any videos of showing someone using primarly a tranq rilfe? Especially in the fema camp and onwards in the game? Im getting tired of firing a shot straight into someone, waiting over a minute, and having nothing happen. Maybe the seeking ability doesn't work? and even when i don't use the seeker it is still jived up

What difficulty level are you playing on?

USER47
28th Sep 2011, 21:06
Well, tranq rifle doesn't have any "seeking ability", just that mod that predicts movement of the target and dart drop. You still have to hit your opponent with it. Anyway, I used tranq rifle quite frequently throughout the game, including FEMA facility, and it always worked without any problems. Could you record your gameplay? Maybe we'll be able to figure out the problem then.

Jason Parker
28th Sep 2011, 21:10
The "Seeker" on the Tranq does not work like the one on combat rifle and machine gun. Actually it's not even called "seeker" but "target leading system". It's merely an aiming help that adjusts your crosshair vertically to make up for the shooting distance and the white cricle shows where to shoot horizontally to account for the target's movement. So in order to line up headshots the best thing to do is activate the target leading system line up the crosshair with the head as you would normaly do and then move the crosshair to the left or right into the white circle.

Any enemy not wearing a helmet goes down instantly by headshots. Body hits allways need a few seconds until the knockout happens. So do enemies wearing helmets. Later on you're far better off using stun gun, non-lethal take downs or gas grenades to knock out enemies.

Also mind you that knocked out enemies will be awoken by other enemies if they spot them.

Spinaltap
28th Sep 2011, 21:17
Well, tranq rifle doesn't have any "seeking ability", just that mod that predicts movement of the target and dart drop. You still have to hit your opponent with it. Anyway, I used tranq rifle quite frequently throughout the game, including FEMA facility, and it always worked without any problems. Could you record your gameplay? Maybe we'll be able to figure out the problem then.

Is there an option in the game menu that records my game while playing?

USER47
28th Sep 2011, 22:19
Is there an option in the game menu that records my game while playing?
Unfortunately not. But if you're playing on PC, you can use Fraps for recodring...

Spinaltap
29th Sep 2011, 00:15
Unfortunately not. But if you're playing on PC, you can use Fraps for recodring...

What's fraps? Is it something that comes with the PC version of the game?

Quillan
29th Sep 2011, 04:31
www.fraps.com

It's a third party application that does several things: allows you to take screenshots in any program, take video, and shows the frames-per-second.

Spinaltap
29th Sep 2011, 04:37
www.fraps.com

It's a third party application that does several things: allows you to take screenshots in any program, take video, and shows the frames-per-second.

Ty, trying it out now.