PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Order DLC's - Release them for purchase?

jvilnisaust
28th Sep 2011, 11:12
Well would you be interested in buying some of the pre-order bonuses?

I would be willing to pay $5 for the grenade launcher and unlocking device.

Jason Parker
28th Sep 2011, 11:23
I would be willing to pay $5 for the grenade launcher and unlocking device.

I got that (Explosive Mission Pack) from MMOGA and afaik g2play.net got that one available too (for PC that is). The other one (Tactical Enhancement Pack) is unavailable standalone though.

szthesquid
28th Sep 2011, 14:44
How does that work exactly? I've never used those sites before, how do they get you a Steam key for a preorder bonus?

Coyotegrey
28th Sep 2011, 14:46
Yeah I'd be extremely wary of any unofficial site offering the pre-order items for purchase.

Jason Parker
28th Sep 2011, 14:53
How does that work exactly? I've never used those sites before, how do they get you a Steam key for a preorder bonus?

By purchasing LOTS of pre-order versions that included the DLC-Codes, unpacking them and selling them seperatly I'd guess.

I'd guess there only is a limited number available. What I don't get is why Eidos and Squeenix let that money slip through their hands. Can't be that hard to offer the DLCs for purchase via steam.

Kodaemon
28th Sep 2011, 14:55
I've got a better idea: release them FOR FREE! If CDP can do it, so can you!

...oh, wait, CDP's awesome, Squeenix is not.

VectorM
28th Sep 2011, 15:48
More like "CDP NEEDS to whore itself with free stuff to be able to compete with the big guys". They are not doing this because they love you.

zenstar
28th Sep 2011, 16:35
It'd be nice if they released them as official DLC (I wouldn't mind picking them up. The steam pre-order didn't come with any) but I can understand keeping them exclusive. It's not like we're missing much. Maybe everything will be in the missing link?

USER47
28th Sep 2011, 16:41
Yeah I'd be extremely wary of any unofficial site offering the pre-order items for purchase.
They just get normal retail version as every other shop, but they unpack it and sell just keys. Without physical store, they can keep cost very low, offer better price and some additional stuff (like those preorder bonuses). No big deal, really, keys are functional.

MaxxQ1
28th Sep 2011, 16:46
I wonder if all those are the physical copies of the game that GameStop removed from their shelves? I'm sure GameStop took a bit of a loss on that whole fiasco, and since they couldn't return the games to Squeidos, sold them to someone else, who is opening them (well, re-opening them, as GameStop had already opened them) and selling the pre-order bonus packs.

ecto69
28th Sep 2011, 17:08
I would not mind having a silenced sniper rifle. The AUD is the best pre-order item, as the rest of the stuff you really don't need. The Grenade Launcher comes too late in the game, as there is a more powerful weapon available 1 mission prior to getting it. (ie Laser Rifle = most powerful weapon in game)

Kodaemon
28th Sep 2011, 17:16
Don't forget about the little mission with Tracer Tong, without it the cutscene after the harbor comes across as completely non-sequitur. It also gives more of a purpose to that small sewer section in Heng Sha which is only used for the Zelazny quest otherwise.

Jason Parker
28th Sep 2011, 17:59
Obviously they listened to us: The DLCs are confirmed to be available on XBOX-Live and Steam as of today. Just bought the TEP.

PugPug
28th Sep 2011, 18:19
Obviously they listened to us: The DLCs are confirmed to be available on XBOX-Live and Steam as of today. Just bought the TEP.

Sweet! I'm off to buy the Tactical Enhancement Pack.

It's $1.99 for the Tactical Enhancement Pack and $2.99 for the Explosive Mission Pack. ($3.99 bundle for both, saving $0.99)

A good deal, for sure.

FuzzyPuffin
28th Sep 2011, 19:17
A good deal, for sure.

No, a "good deal" is what CD Projekt did--released all preorder DLC for free.

I might have paid .99 for the mission, but $3 for less than an hour of gameplay? I'll pass.

Ashpolt
28th Sep 2011, 19:20
Hot off the presses: they're both now officially available on Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/sub/11748/) (as of about 25 minutes ago.) And the price is reasonable as well. Go go go.

[EDIT] Note: I mean "reasonable" in the sense of "reasonable if we ignore the fact that it should've been in the game in the first place", obviously.

Kodaemon
28th Sep 2011, 19:20
No, a "good deal" is what CD Projekt did--released all preorder DLC for free.

..and all subsequent DLC as well :cool:

mug3n
28th Sep 2011, 19:30
eh, im a sucker, bought it :nut:

now how do you access this? do i have to play up to the point where adam is in the shipyard to get to the mission?

PugPug
28th Sep 2011, 19:58
eh, im a sucker, bought it :nut:

now how do you access this? do i have to play up to the point where adam is in the shipyard to get to the mission?

I believe you are too late to do the bonus mission on this playthrough, but just barely. Helping you get where you are right now is his "reward" for doing the bonus mission. Also, a cool gun.

Painman
28th Sep 2011, 20:33
2 bucks is what I figured I might pay (max) for the TEP if I could buy it, so I did. I wanna play around with the silenced sniper.

Glad they made it available, but I agree with Ashpolt: this stuff shoulda been available to all from the get-go.

mad825
28th Sep 2011, 22:39

Yep and thank you for making Pre-ordering content just that little bit more pointless even though the content that was given is pointless and makes the game easier....The irony.

Glyph
28th Sep 2011, 23:55
I'm sorry but there is just something wrong about paying more money for content that is already located on the disc I have already purchased. Both of these bonuses should have been made available for free as obvious design choices were made to restrict things like combining a silencer and a sniper rifle just to make the silenced sniper actually have a purpose. It's not about giving a bonus, it's about restricting content. Heck, the Tong mission is not even optional and fits into the main storyline.

Locutus of BORG
29th Sep 2011, 00:52
$2-3 is reasonable

Soap141
29th Sep 2011, 01:13
Just purchased these... did anyone else find that when you click INSTALL after you purchase nothing happens?

Is this normal. I figured a small file would have downloaded.

HERESY
29th Sep 2011, 01:16
I still haven't downloaded my explosive pack DLC that I got when I preordered. I think I'll do it this weekend.

AzaleaBzzz
29th Sep 2011, 01:22
Just purchased these... did anyone else find that when you click INSTALL after you purchase nothing happens?

Well since this "bonus" material is already in the game, you didn't have to download anything, you just unlocked it.

Soap141
29th Sep 2011, 01:25
Well since this "bonus" material is already in the game, you didn't have to download anything, you just unlocked it.

Weird. Oh well.

HERESY
29th Sep 2011, 01:29

So the tong mission and all the other content is already on the disc? WTF!

AzaleaBzzz
29th Sep 2011, 01:44
So the tong mission and all the other content is already on the disc? WTF!

Well it was in my Augmented Edition which I unlocked with this (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=121245) pc mod.

HERESY
29th Sep 2011, 02:11
Well it was in my Augmented Edition which I unlocked with this (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=121245) pc mod.

I'm on the PS3 but I don't think these companies hsould charge for content that is already on the disc. That's like buying a car and paying $5 to use the lighter.

Locutus of BORG
29th Sep 2011, 02:33

Same thing for me. When I loaded my most recent game, nothing happened, but when I loaded up the start of Milwaukee Junction, I got all the dlc items, so I know it works.

ishiki
29th Sep 2011, 07:17
I had to download it... when I bought it at launch. Atleast I think. It took like 10 minutes to download (I have disc version)

jaywalker2309
29th Sep 2011, 07:25
http://store.steampowered.com/news/6386/ Officially released..

Available also on MS LIVE and should be on PSN too

JSj
29th Sep 2011, 07:42
So exactly how does these things work? Do the extra weapons just appear in game? Do I need to start a new game, or will it appear in a previously saved game? And what about the extra mission? Does that require starting a new game, or will it appear in my current playthrough?

I'm trying to decide wether to buy the DLC:s now, or wait until I have finished the game and buy them before starting a new game.

Kivan
29th Sep 2011, 08:00
http://store.steampowered.com/news/6386/ Officially released..

Available also on MS LIVE and should be on PSN too

They weren't added onto the PSN when it updated this week. Were they supposed to be?

SlyRebirth
29th Sep 2011, 08:39
Just to confirm details on what’s in each pack –

Explosive Mission Pack: Bonus mission, Grenade Launcher, Remote-Detonated Explosive Device and the Automatic Unlocking Device.

Tactical Enhancement Pack: Double-Barrel Shotgun, Silenced Sniper Rifle and 10,000 extra in-game credits.

Both packs are also available in a single bundle, and the pricing is as follows:

Explosive:

Xbox 360: 160 Microsoft Points
PlayStation Network: $1.99 / £1.19 / €1.49
PC Digital: $1.99 / £1.19 / €1.49

Tactical:

Xbox 360: 240 Microsoft Points
PlayStation Network: $3.49 / £1.99 / €2.49
PC Digital: $2.99 / £1.99 / €2.29

Bundle:

Xbox 360: 320 Microsoft Points
PlayStation Network: $3.99 / £2.39 / €2.99
PC Digital: $3.99 / £2.49 / €2.99

Unfortunately the PSN versions for the US have been delayed for a short time, but they will be available in due course.

Soap141
29th Sep 2011, 11:17
When do you get the weapons? I presume the Hong mission doesn't become available until later in the game.

SlyRebirth
29th Sep 2011, 11:34
When do you get the weapons? I presume the Hong mission doesn't become available until later in the game.

The extra weapons, mission and credits will become available when you start a new game.

lapdragon
29th Sep 2011, 13:15
The extra weapons, mission and credits will become available when you start a new game.

The Silenced Sniper Rifle, Shotgun, R-DED, and AUD's are available at the beginning of the game - the bonus mission and Grenade Launcher aren't available until you get sent to Hengsha for the second time.

SlyRebirth
29th Sep 2011, 14:02
The Silenced Sniper Rifle, Shotgun, R-DED, and AUD's are available at the beginning of the game - the bonus mission and Grenade Launcher aren't available until you get sent to Hengsha for the second time.

Yes - to clarify, though, they won't suddenly appear if you're already part-way through an existing play-through.

Glyph
29th Sep 2011, 14:48
So 'no comment' on charging for content already included on the retail game disc?

Jordasm
29th Sep 2011, 16:43
I wouldn't bother, the only pre-order Item I used was the unlocking device, the rest was useless and the Tong DLC mission is ****.

Locutus of BORG
1st Oct 2011, 00:23
The slienced SR, Grenade Launcher + silenced Pistol AND AUDs = relaxing walk in the park. :D

Viacom
1st Oct 2011, 00:33
I'm on the PS3 but I don't think these companies hsould charge for content that is already on the disc. That's like buying a car and paying $5 to use the lighter.

lmao

HERESY
1st Oct 2011, 00:55
lmao

Is "home" back online or is it still down?

LOL.

And what exactly does the unlocking device do? Unlock every door in the game so you don't have ot hack it? If so I'll pass.

USER47
1st Oct 2011, 01:03
And what exactly does the unlocking device do? Unlock every door in the game so you don't have ot hack it? If so I'll pass.
It's like multitool. You can use it instead of hacking, but it's destroyed in the process. If you want to use it again, you have to find or purchase another one. Actually I think it really fits the game and for nonhacking characters it's pretty usefull.

HERESY
1st Oct 2011, 02:12
It's like multitool. You can use it instead of hacking, but it's destroyed in the process. If you want to use it again, you have to find or purchase another one. Actually I think it really fits the game and for nonhacking characters it's pretty usefull.

I wont use it as I love hacking.

Viacom
1st Oct 2011, 02:16

Do you still get experience for using a multitool?

imported_BoB_
1st Oct 2011, 03:10
No.

sjvan0
1st Oct 2011, 04:07
So 'no comment' on charging for content already included on the retail game disc?

Sorry to say, but that's business as usual these days. If a game has early-release DLC (like, first week or two), odds are it'll already be on the disc. And actually, technically you haven't bought any of the data that's on the disc, you've only bought permission to use that data, which is how it's been pretty much since the invention of EULAs,

luce
1st Oct 2011, 04:21
Unfortunately the PSN versions for the US have been delayed for a short time, but they will be available in due course.

nooooooo I checked and couldn't find it. Does this mean we'll have to wait till PSN updates next Tuesday? Was hoping to start a new playthrough this weekend with a silenced sniper

Lyudmila
1st Oct 2011, 18:34
Related question...hope someone knows.

I bought the standard edition as a download on Amazon and activated it through Steam. I went to buy the two DLC packs on Steam, and Steam tells me I already have the Tactical Enhancement Pack and won't let me purchase. *Do* I have it? Or is this an issue with Steam?

thedosbox
1st Oct 2011, 19:24
Related question...hope someone knows.

I bought the standard edition as a download on Amazon and activated it through Steam. I went to buy the two DLC packs on Steam, and Steam tells me I already have the Tactical Enhancement Pack and won't let me purchase. *Do* I have it? Or is this an issue with Steam?

You can easily check by right-clicking on the game in steam and selecting "view downloadable content".

No, it's been discussed ad-infinitum before the game was released.

Glyph
2nd Oct 2011, 02:28
Sorry to say, but that's business as usual these days. If a game has early-release DLC (like, first week or two), odds are it'll already be on the disc. And actually, technically you haven't bought any of the data that's on the disc, you've only bought permission to use that data, which is how it's been pretty much since the invention of EULAs,

Crazy odds then because most games do not use unlock codes for pre-order DLC. Anyway, if a player hacked the disc and unlocked all of the content contained upon it, so long as they did not directly provide said content to others (they could distribute the hack however), they would not be in violation of the EULA as they paid for the physical disc that was sold 'as is' by Eidos. Anyway, it is still bad business to sell customers the same content twice by restricting it initially.

jd10013
2nd Oct 2011, 10:25
I got 46 hours out of my first play-through, so $2.99 for the explosive mission pack is fine with me. if the game was stupid short, like the 5 hour's COD gives you, then I'd be pissed. and they also gave it away free with preorders. I don't think it's a case of them trying to make more money, they were just rewarding the preorder crowd.

wowlace
2nd Oct 2011, 11:17
So if I'm not up to Hengsha for the 2nd time yet will the Tong mission become available? Or will have to start again? That would suck to the point where I may not even bother.

jd10013
2nd Oct 2011, 12:58
replaying this game would suck? wouldn't bother me at all.

Kivan
3rd Oct 2011, 01:07
The Explosive Mission pack and the combo pack is up on the PSN (PAL store anyway, no sign on the US PSN) but no Tactical Pack available as a separate purchase. I would assume that this is some kind of error.

SlyRebirth
3rd Oct 2011, 10:29
nooooooo I checked and couldn't find it. Does this mean we'll have to wait till PSN updates next Tuesday? Was hoping to start a new playthrough this weekend with a silenced sniper

I've had a confirmed date from Sony Computer Entertainment America of October 18. I know that's not ideal - sorry again for the delay.

wowlace
3rd Oct 2011, 11:19
replaying this game would suck? wouldn't bother me at all.

On my 2nd play through, not keen on starting again for one mission.

lapdragon
3rd Oct 2011, 11:53
So if I'm not up to Hengsha for the 2nd time yet will the Tong mission become available? Or will have to start again? That would suck to the point where I may not even bother.

I believe (but I'm not positive) that once you activate the Explosive pack, you will get an in-game popup telling you that the mission is available, no matter at what point in the game you presently are. Obviously however, you cannot go back to Hengsha II if you have already played past it. I do know that you will find grenade launchers in the occasional weapon cache (locked rooms, weapon lockers, hidey-holes, etc) after Hengsha II - I've personally found at least one additional launcher outside of the one given as the mission reward.

In theory, you could probably use the debug/map selector mod to go back and do the mission and get the grenade launcher as a reward, but as I don't use the mod, I can't say for sure.

As far as the Tactical pack goes, once you've activated it on your account you will start finding silenced sniper rifles in weapon caches on existing savegames, although I haven't as yet found an enemy using one that can be picked up as loot. For new savegames, I believe that you will also be given one in addition to whichever standard weapon you choose, once you take off in the VTOL for the assault on the Sarif factory.

jd10013
3rd Oct 2011, 12:16
didn't do it for me, and that's on PC. I know it's in there though cause I was able to buy the some of the items that came with the pack from the guy in the hotel.

Headstriker
3rd Oct 2011, 13:18
The explosive Mission Pack is a bad joke for the people who didn't pre-order. €2,3 for a mission which takes 4-5 mins to complete and has a difficulty of 1/10. How big publishers can give half-hearted extra content like this as pre-order bonus and dare to want money for it, is beyond me. I hoped this is something special and bought the cat in the bag, but i was didssapointed, watch this mission on youtube and save the money.