PDA

View Full Version : My sincere appreciation to the Deus Ex 3 Dev Team.

Encephalon
25th Sep 2011, 13:43
Before i begin this post, i'd just like to clarify that i am not a Eidos employee,
neither do i work for any gaming magazines or anything gaming related.

Have just completed the game, clocking it at 50 hours (normal difficulty)
I just felt that i had to come online, create my first eidos forum account and post my feelings on it.

First of all, i would like to express my deepest and most sincere appreciation
to the Deus Ex 3 development team and to congratulate them on a job well done.

Very few games makes me feel all emotional after completing it, but Deus Ex 3 is definitely one of them.
To be honest, i have not played the original Deus Ex 1 and 2 before, but that did not hinder my enjoyment
of this game at all.

The story is dark and deep yet very accessible. Whichever style you play, be it combat or stealth,
it caters for you. I have been a fan of the cyberpunk genre and sadly there hasn't been very many
cyberpunk theme games out there. For this i appreciate my thanks.

The game soundtrack is an absolute treat for the senses and it drove me on to complete the game.
Mr Michael McCann, you are now one of my favourite game music composer right next to such great
names as Jeremy Soule and Inon Zur.

Though the game had been under fire for its boss battles being too combat oriented, i felt it as a welcome
change of pace. I'd compare them to another very good game in the same genre Metal Gear Solid. They weren't
too shabby at all. As i have not played Deus Ex 1 and 2 before, im not sure if those games did give another
alternative to beat the bosses. Though that would have been very interesting.

If i really have to gripe, i'd say that the voices of the chinese npcs really could use some work. Being
a Chinese myself, and a Singaporean at that (thank you for putting Singapore in the game btw :D),
I find it quite strange in the way the chinese npcs talk in the game. Even some graffities in chinese,
around Hengsha looks really strange. Take for example, this screenshot that i captured:

http://i.imgur.com/zkPaX.jpg

It is obviously supposed to be a translation of the english phrase "God is Dead and So Are You"
Thats the strangeness of it. There is no such phrase in chinese and seeing it onscreen was quite funny.
Ditto with the speech the npcs spoke in chinese, which were literally word for word english phrases.
I don't blame ya'll tho, cause i can see that the Eidos development team are all westerners. Would
appreciate it if more work can be done if you are going to portray china again tho.

There are other minor gripes that i had tho, such as: Cutscenes looking 2008ish dated quality,
No vehicles to ride around, etc. These minor flaws however do not bring the game down.

I bought the collector's edition and personally felt it worth every single penny of the purchase.
I cannot wait to see what other cool ideas Eidos Montreal cook up for the sequel.

Once again, thank you for a job well done. You guys deserve a good vacation after
all the work you have put in. Cheers everyone~

Apologies for this very long post. :)

PS: PLEASE bring Adam Jensen back for the sequel, i miss him already!

Pinky_Powers
25th Sep 2011, 18:16
I don't think you fully appreciate how much vehicles would have hurt the experience and pacing of this game. The Deus EX experience has much to do with the pacing, and vehicles don't really fit into it.

MaxxQ1
25th Sep 2011, 18:29
No vehicles to ride around, etc. These minor flaws however do not bring the game down.

CoDEllite? Is that you? ;)

JCpies
25th Sep 2011, 18:43
If you want vehicles in a Deus Ex game, you're obviously in the wrong place. What would you do with a vehicle in the confined areas of Deus Ex hubs? Maybe they should have a bicycle or moped to drive around in... :P

MaxxQ1
25th Sep 2011, 18:48
If you want vehicles in a Deus Ex game, you're obviously in the wrong place. What would you do with a vehicle in the confined areas of Deus Ex hubs? Maybe they should have a bicycle or moped to drive around in... :P

Nahhh. Adam would SHRED on a skateboard...

Hmmm... maybe in 17 years, the antigrav skateboards from Back to the Future 2 will be a reality.

Pinky_Powers
25th Sep 2011, 19:07
Hmmm... maybe in 17 years, the antigrav skateboards from Back to the Future 2 will be a reality.

I've been waiting so long for those!

But in 17 years it won't even be safe for me to use a normal skateboard. Age is creeping up on my so quickly! :(

JCpies
25th Sep 2011, 19:21
I've been waiting so long for those!

But in 17 years it won't even be safe for me to use a normal skateboard. Age is creeping up on my so quickly! :(

Don't worry bald middle aged man. :o

Viacom
25th Sep 2011, 22:07
The game soundtrack is an absolute treat for the senses and it drove me on to complete the game.
Mr Michael McCann, you are now one of my favourite game music composer right next to such great
names as Jeremy Soule and Inon Zur.

I actually thought this would be one of the strongest points of the game but the music wasn't even as good as DX1. Maybe the soundtrack IS better, but the way they presented and butchered the music in the finalized project of the game it certainly did not live up to expectations. How many composed scores are there on the actual soundtrack? Because in the game I didn't hear many and some were just slightly altered versions of the main theme :rolleyes:

Daedatheus
25th Sep 2011, 23:27
How many composed scores are there on the actual soundtrack? Because in the game I didn't hear many and some were just slightly altered versions of the main theme :rolleyes:

You could easily be forgiven for thinking that, because McCann just constantly used the minor key progression...

i -> VI

...repeatedly for pretty much 80% of the game's music.

He makes it work in many different ways, but still. It's a little musically samey. The upside of that of course is that it all gels together pretty well.

Encephalon
25th Sep 2011, 23:55
I don't see why having vehicles would be bad for a Deus Ex game, especially we see them lying all over the street.
I mean, if we aren't allowed to drive them, then at least show the npcs in the world driving them.

There was this part where i saw the subway train whizzing by overhead and i thought wooo it would be so cool
if i could take it and experience real time travelling while enjoying the city sights. Imagine my disappointment
when all i got was a fade to black effect lol. They didn't even announce which part of the city i was in.

Perhaps i had hoped that Deus Ex 3 would be an open world game, much like how Fallout 3 is.
A reimagining of the series, improving it, while still keeping to the spirit of the game.

Viacom
26th Sep 2011, 00:41
You could easily be forgiven for thinking that, because McCann just constantly used the minor key progression...

i -> VI

...repeatedly for pretty much 80% of the game's music.

He makes it work in many different ways, but still. It's a little musically samey. The upside of that of course is that it all gels together pretty well.

I see, that formula could be entertaining to some but it didn't strike me. Don't get me wrong, I think hes a talented composer but I needed to hear more. I'll go check out the actual soundtrack.

itsonyourhead
26th Sep 2011, 01:16
I've been listening to McCann's soundtrack all day. When he actually decides to write music (rather than just pure ambiance), it's really good, though more than a few of his tracks remind me of stuff I've head elsewhere.

I wish he would have had the balls to go for a more melodic ambience like in the original DX, but it works with the game.

Daedatheus
26th Sep 2011, 03:38
I wish he would have had the balls to go for a more melodic ambience like in the original DX, but it works with the game.

This.

But, like I've said before in other threads, the overall aesthetic of the music wasn't really up to him. The lead designers ultimately passed or veto'd his tracks, and gave feedback based on what they thought would work best. Clearly, they preferred the subtler, more ambient approach, and McCann delivered according to these needs. Doubtless he composed many drafts that never saw their way into the final cut.

I think DX1 and VtM:B, for 2 FPS/RPG examples, are a lot stronger for not having taken the DXHR music approach than they would have been if they did. It really worked in a lot of DX:HR, but the city hubs which involve less focused progression than the "compound"-type missions might have been improved with slightly more in-your-face looping music.

thedosbox
26th Sep 2011, 03:59

No no no, the Segway is the future.