PDA

View Full Version : What was Megan going to tell him? *spoilers*

PugPug
22nd Sep 2011, 22:41
In the prologue, Megan starts to tell Adam something.

"Adam, I... There's something I --"

And Pritchard strolls in, killing the mood.

What was she going to say? Was she going to admit to Adam that he is Patient X? Was she afraid it was going to come out in Washington anyway? (medical privacy laws must be different in 2027)

Or was she going to apologize for something? Profess her undying love?

Cronicler
22nd Sep 2011, 22:44
You will learn what was eating her later in the game.

jtr7
23rd Sep 2011, 01:22
Yeah, Adam hears what it was later.

Daedatheus
23rd Sep 2011, 01:45
Yeah, Adam hears what it was later.

Right, so what was it? I can't recall.

jtr7
23rd Sep 2011, 02:02
It involves his own DNA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbPfy97BtOw&list=PL1030EE10CB2CD0F8&index=47

kyuusei
23rd Sep 2011, 02:26
Man, how do you forget that she (later) said something important like that? No offense.

(Although I did kind of deduce it from the documentation and the sidequests about Adam's past.)

imported_BoB_
23rd Sep 2011, 02:35
They complained too much, their brain couldn't take it :D

Zyme junkie
23rd Sep 2011, 02:38
megan was going to tell you the devs had to cut content and re-arrange the game last minute, but you have to wait to the end to find that out.

Daedatheus
23rd Sep 2011, 03:37
Man, how do you forget that she (later) said something important like that? No offense

I didn't forget. It was a very pivotal moment. But, because of this line in the original post...

What was she going to say? Was she going to admit to Adam that he is Patient X?

...I assumed that everyone was talking about something else, since this idea was already introduced and no one confirmed it. I thought maybe there was some smaller detail I had missed.

And since there isn't, I guess that's that. :cool:

jtr7
23rd Sep 2011, 03:54
When I first responded, I couldn't remember if PugPug had played, let alone, completed the game.

PugPug
23rd Sep 2011, 06:10
I've finished it, thanks. Yes, I know she used his DNA (he is Patient X). But as I recall, she doesn't say "What I was going to tell you in the elevator is..." So we don't know if that's what she was going to say or not.

I just meant to speculate, rather than seek an actual answer, because I don't think there is one.

kyuusei
23rd Sep 2011, 06:14
It's a safe assumption and probably the closest to the real answer. I believe that's she wanted to tell him because honestly, it would suck for Adam to find out during the presentation in Washington (had they asked her) rather from Megan herself. That's the whole reason she was nervous, I thought.

It's not in the game, but Megan taking his DNA is part of why the relationship fell apart to begin with.

Graill
23rd Sep 2011, 06:15
Most likely about the night before she left, they had passionate intimacy, fluids were exchanged...."and oh by the way i used your DNA afterwords in my experiments....." :rasp:

Jibbajabba
23rd Sep 2011, 08:03
She probably wanted to confess that Jaron fixed her fence around the yard :D :D

imported_BoB_
23rd Sep 2011, 08:08
I've finished it, thanks. Yes, I know she used his DNA (he is Patient X). But as I recall, she doesn't say "What I was going to tell you in the elevator is..." So we don't know if that's what she was going to say or not.

I just meant to speculate, rather than seek an actual answer, because I don't think there is one.

I'm beginning to understand the level of comprehension that videogames players have about a story. Seriously, it's just obvious that she was going to tell him about Patient X. When she sees him again, it's 6 freaking months later, she wasn't going to say "oh by the way, you remember 6 months ago, when you were a human, I was going to tell you blablabla".
Even in a very badly written movie you wouldn't have that line.

ijakoan
23rd Sep 2011, 10:20
Seriously, it's just obvious that she was going to tell him about Patient X.

I agree, because remember what happens before you get to the elevator in her Office, there is a Ebook that mentions Patient X, we also know that most things you do in the Game doesn't have real consequences, so that she references the fragment of conversation that happens when you read that Ebook will happen even if you didn't read it.

Also, that Adam is Patient X is rather obvious if you think about it, David sends you to the Limb Clinic and in there the Doctor tells you that you don't suffer from glial tissue build up like all others, plus if you do the side quest from Cassandra you also learn that there where 3 survivors of the first attack, one died in Hospital (cause of death is not exactly explained) and another one who was ready to give testimony suddenly couldn't remember a thing, the third survivor was Adam, so why did the Attackers not make sure he was really really dead? and why was he not silenced later like the other Survivors? someone must have wanted him to stay alive cause they knew he was "special", Patient X special.

Painman
23rd Sep 2011, 10:34
Yeah, the "Patient X" angle is the most plausible.

It paints Megan as scientist above all else, which actually, really doesn't explain her awful taste for eye makeup. If she's so damned intelligent, why does she still do herself up like a tart?

In 2027? :scratch:

auric
23rd Sep 2011, 10:37
I agree, because remember what happens before you get to the elevator in her Office, there is a Ebook that mentions Patient X, we also know that most things you do in the Game doesn't have real consequences, so that she references the fragment of conversation that happens when you read that Ebook will happen even if you didn't read it.

Also, that Adam is Patient X is rather obvious if you think about it, David sends you to the Limb Clinic and in there the Doctor tells you that you don't suffer from glial tissue build up like all others, plus if you do the side quest from Cassandra you also learn that there where 3 survivors of the first attack, one died in Hospital (cause of death is not exactly explained) and another one who was ready to give testimony suddenly couldn't remember a thing, the third survivor was Adam, so why did the Attackers not make sure he was really really dead? and why was he not silenced later like the other Survivors? someone must have wanted him to stay alive cause they knew he was "special", Patient X special.

That's not the "obvious" part.
The obvious one is

AJ09-0921 Patient X
AJ for Adam Jensen

saw that on my first read. :D

too obvious

jtr7
23rd Sep 2011, 10:59
The context shared in both the Prologue and when meeting her again near the end is the same. The breakthrough, the concern, keeping Megan out of the public, and a correlation with Adam.

ijakoan
23rd Sep 2011, 11:20
The obvious one is
AJ09-0921 Patient X
AJ for Adam Jensen

Nice one, I missed the AJ bit:D

drunkrussian9
23rd Sep 2011, 12:49
I found it odd how many times she mentioned to Jensen that she's nervous about them asking her HOW she got the analysis. Then AJ mysteriously says "Is there something I should know about this place; about Sarif?" She begins to answer him but runs into a co-worker. I mean, adam never really wondered why? It just slipped his mind? You would figure with megan talking about it all the time he would have been intrigued for the reasoning.

Also, while on the topic of introduction, who's the girl in the intro movie (when adam gets augmented) that says "Im sorry" and "I love you"? She was blonde. Def can't be megan.

auric
23rd Sep 2011, 12:58
I found it odd how many times she mentioned to Jensen that she's nervous about them asking her HOW she got the analysis. Then AJ mysteriously says "Is there something I should know about this place; about Sarif?" She begins to answer him but runs into a co-worker. I mean, adam never really wondered why? It just slipped his mind? You would figure with megan talking about it all the time he would have been intrigued for the reasoning.

Also, while on the topic of introduction, who's the girl in the intro movie (when adam gets augmented) that says "Im sorry" and "I love you"? She was blonde. Def can't be megan.

That's Eve ;)

We're not even sure what Megan's natural color is, people do dye their hair. :)

Daedatheus
23rd Sep 2011, 12:59

It's Megan.

If I have to justify this, look at the photos around Jensen's apartment, you'll see real-life shots of Megan that look like her in the intro cutscene, including one where she is with her dog, a dog mentioned by Megan in the elevator and also in several emails.

But all that notwithstanding, it's pretty well-understood that that is Megan in the opening credits, as there is no other female character mentioned that Jensen had a relationship with. Which makes the lack of development in her character and lack of any meaningful relationship (romantic or not) with Adam during the events of the game all the more strange.

Or was he shacking it up with Cindy the receptionist? She's blonde right?

drunkrussian9
23rd Sep 2011, 21:22
It's Megan.

If I have to justify this, look at the photos around Jensen's apartment, you'll see real-life shots of Megan that look like her in the intro cutscene, including one where she is with her dog, a dog mentioned by Megan in the elevator and also in several emails.

But all that notwithstanding, it's pretty well-understood that that is Megan in the opening credits, as there is no other female character mentioned that Jensen had a relationship with. Which makes the lack of development in her character and lack of any meaningful relationship (romantic or not) with Adam during the events of the game all the more strange.

Or was he shacking it up with Cindy the receptionist? She's blonde right?
I guess it is Megan. The blonde bit threw me off lol.

Cindy definitely knew Adam for a while, and even had him mentioned in her emails. Would be awesome to have a little fun with that development.

Daedatheus
23rd Sep 2011, 22:01
Cindy definitely knew Adam for a while, and even had him mentioned in her emails. Would be awesome to have a little fun with that development.

There's also that woman who stands around reception at one point who asks you to go to coffee, saying she feels safe around you...

A lot of female characters comment on Jensen being cute, guess he's a pretty good-looking dude :)

PugPug
23rd Sep 2011, 23:14

After he asks about "this place, about Sarif," she said something like "You've known David long enough to --" I thought it was an odd choice of words.

The obvious one is

AJ09-0921 Patient X
AJ for Adam Jensen

saw that on my first read. :D

too obvious

Everything in the story was painfully obvious. And I'm a person who tries not to predict what is going to happen, so I can be surprised.

It was obvious from the cutscene that the surrogate hacker wasn't in control of his own body when he shot himself, yet we had to endure line after line of dialogue (even a loading screen) about how he killed himself to avoid interrogation. Then Pritchard examines the wet drive and everyone acts really surprised.

(interestingly, the hacker has no cables in his head if you look in the window before the cutscene starts)

The "biochip upgrade" wasn't any more subtle. It pained me to deliberately get it knowing it was a trick just to see what effect it had down the line. It seemed possible that it was a trick as soon as Pritchard told you about it, and even if you walk straight to the LIMB clinic you encounter enough hints for it to be annoying. One of Tong's men even says something like, "isn't it weird that all the biochips made by all the different manufacturers are having the same problem, and have the same solution?" Though on this playthrough I'm looking forward to seeing how bad the "glitches" get.

auric
23rd Sep 2011, 23:35
Everything in the story was painfully obvious. And I'm a person who tries not to predict what is going to happen, so I can be surprised.

It was obvious from the cutscene that the surrogate hacker wasn't in control of his own body when he shot himself, yet we had to endure line after line of dialogue (even a loading screen) about how he killed himself to avoid interrogation. Then Pritchard examines the wet drive and everyone acts really surprised.

(interestingly, the hacker has no cables in his head if you look in the window before the cutscene starts)

The "biochip upgrade" wasn't any more subtle. It pained me to deliberately get it knowing it was a trick just to see what effect it had down the line. It seemed possible that it was a trick as soon as Pritchard told you about it, and even if you walk straight to the LIMB clinic you encounter enough hints for it to be annoying. One of Tong's men even says something like, "isn't it weird that all the biochips made by all the different manufacturers are having the same problem, and have the same solution?" Though on this playthrough I'm looking forward to seeing how bad the "glitches" get.

Yup, concerning the wires, that'll be quite the dedication to make a model just for that. :)

Adam must not have met much suicidal people in his line of work to notice something is off, not to mentioned it was inconceivable to be controlled like that to consider it. So as far as he know, that guy did suicide.

I also got the chip on purpose, didn't really need my augs at that time. :)

drunkrussian9
24th Sep 2011, 00:19
Yea, it was so damn obvious with the guy saying "help me" before he shot himself. The first thing I thought was that he must have been augmented to do that, and AJ goes off to say it take real dedication for him to do that **faceplam** Gosh I have to say that was annoying.

BTW, this game is missing killswitches lol

kyuusei
24th Sep 2011, 01:14
I think what tipped me off the most about Megan's reveal was during the mission when Pritchard tells you there's a backdoor in the security, and after you argue with David you find out it was so your background could be investigated.. ANYWAY tl;dr he forwards you e-mails which basically say you're a genetic anomaly. I kinda pieced it from there, and in the later mission when you meet the PI that looked into your past and the senile lady FROM your past, that pretty much confirmed it for me. I hadn't even read the Patient X thing on my first playthrough but I did on my second. I could have figured it out even EARLIER. Damn!

Anyway, I think of Megan as caramel/blonde. It's her in the opening credits. I don't see why it would be anyone else, plus, they were together for something like four years, and he had this obsession with finding her once he realized she was alive - I really don't know who else it could be.

As for their conversation in the prologue, I thought Megan's findings were like really really recent. Like in the days leading up to those scenes. Remember in this whole conversation first they were in public, so she tried to tell him in private (elevator). Who yells out 'SO I STOLE YOUR DNA FOR MY FINDINGS' in the middle of a crowded research lab, after all? ;)

And yeah I thought it was painfully obvious the hacker wasn't suicidal.

drunkrussian9
24th Sep 2011, 04:18
Well consider that Bob page and a lot of other higher ups already have seen her research. It can't be THAT recent.

auric
24th Sep 2011, 05:47
Yea, it was so damn obvious with the guy saying "help me" before he shot himself. The first thing I thought was that he must have been augmented to do that, and AJ goes off to say it take real dedication for him to do that **faceplam** Gosh I have to say that was annoying.

BTW, this game is missing killswitches lol

Those glitches are the killswitch prototypes. :)
I think she was expecting Adam to totally shut down, as he said later it almost shut him down permanently.

as for the dedication part, gotta look at it in his point of view, he don't watch or play tons of shows/games like us to think crazy ideas like mind control.
Also we heard what that guy said but doesn't mean Adam heard it just as clearly or dunno what to make of it.
:)

Sulix
24th Sep 2011, 11:25
There are lots of scenes where Adam acts dumber than he - and the player - is. Besides the already mentioned examples, I can think of the basement at Picus HQ. At that point of the game I already accepted, that Adam is kind of a slowpoke, so I was ready to take bets when he finally realizes that the Illuminati are behind this. After reading through X mails leading up to it, I arrived at the basement. There it is, a huge Illuminati logo, right into your face, in a secret basement. Nope, nothing. The email about crowd control. Nothing. Etc. Adam arrives back home, meeting Sarif, and, surprise surprise : "You're talking about ... the illuminati?" *facepalm*

Really, it destroys immersion if the protagonist is way behind the players thoughts.

jd10013
24th Sep 2011, 11:55
well, I think if your trying to create as real a gameworld as possible you'd not want your main character believing some (what most consider) fictional conspiratorial group is behind everything. just as you wouldn't expect him to assume the devil did it if there had been a giant pentagram in that room. and for the many people who bought the game never having played the original he wouldn't seem behind the curve at all. it's more a case that those of us who played the first game knew the Illuminati would be making an appearance at some point, so we were looking for the signs.

auric
24th Sep 2011, 12:00
well, I think if your trying to create as real a gameworld as possible you'd not want your main character believing some (what most consider) fictional conspiratorial group is behind everything. just as you wouldn't expect him to assume the devil did it if there had been a giant pentagram in that room. and for the many people who bought the game never having played the original he wouldn't seem behind the curve at all. it's more a case that those of us who played the first game knew the Illuminati would be making an appearance at some point, so we were looking for the signs.

Ya, I wonder what the "player" will think for seeing a Klingon Logo on the wall.

Oh no, Star Trek aliens are real......

It's all true, we were being warned via tv.

jd10013
24th Sep 2011, 12:06
people forget EM designed the game for both new and old players. that's always, to me anyways, one of the drawback with a prequel. there's certain things you just know are going to be there. there's no way to keep the player from knowing more than the protagonist because the player knows how the whole thing eventually ends.

Enwer87
24th Sep 2011, 14:44
megan was going to tell you the devs had to cut content and re-arrange the game last minute, but you have to wait to the end to find that out.

I could not thought of better way to put the essence of what is wrong with that game in one sentence. :thumb:

Iron and Copper
24th Sep 2011, 15:26
I don't get it, all this discussion about the most glaringly obvious plot dynamic of the whole shame that was the plot to DE:HR, first ebook in the first room in the whole game and she gets all awkward and avoids the question. That was all anyone needed to know, then comes the elevator moment and if you didn't get it by then, everyone beating you over the head about how amazing your recovery is should have done it. If the first limb clinic didn't spell out what unfortunately passed for a big reveal at the end of the game then, it's time to consult a special education specialist.

Sulix
24th Sep 2011, 15:34
I don't get it, all this discussion about the most glaringly obvious plot dynamic of the whole shame that was the plot to DE:HR, first ebook in the first room in the whole game and she gets all awkward and avoids the question. That was all anyone needed to know, then comes the elevator moment and if you didn't get it by then, everyone beating you over the head about how amazing your recovery is should have done it. If the first limb clinic didn't spell out what unfortunately passed for a big reveal at the end of the game then, it's time to consult a special education specialist.

To be honest, I DID think of Adam being patient X after reading the first e-book, which was confirmed more and more as the plot progressed. However, I really hoped for a twist, it seemed like the developers tried to mislead you. Unfortunately, they didn't.

PS : Of course one could say, that they accomplished some kind of tension by leading the player into believing they're trying to mislead him. But besides this sentence being a perfect conspiracy for itself, the result was a little bit of disappointment after realizing the truth.

jd10013
24th Sep 2011, 16:51
I just started another play through, and having just listened to that covo, I get what the OP is saying. I don't think she was going to tell AJ he was patient x. it just wouldn't have fit in. they weren't really talking about that, and for her to have come out and said, AJ, I stole your DNA just doesn't seem like it would have fit the conversation.

Iron and Copper
24th Sep 2011, 21:20
I just started another play through, and having just listened to that covo, I get what the OP is saying. I don't think she was going to tell AJ he was patient x. it just wouldn't have fit in. they weren't really talking about that, and for her to have come out and said, AJ, I stole your DNA just doesn't seem like it would have fit the conversation.
Considering they were about to go live with the discovery I imagined she felt he had a right to know before the rest of the world does and she was running out of time to do it. Hard to get a minute alone under such circumstances, that elevator ride might have been her last chance, maybe to set a meeting to talk about it.

LkMax
24th Sep 2011, 22:35
Considering they were about to go live with the discovery I imagined she felt he had a right to know before the rest of the world does and she was running out of time to do it. Hard to get a minute alone under such circumstances, that elevator ride might have been her last chance, maybe to set a meeting to talk about it.

That makes sense indeed. After finishing the game the first time (and playing it again from the beggining) it was the first thing I thought.

kyuusei
25th Sep 2011, 02:34
Yes it would have. Using Adam's DNA is exactly how Megan made her big discovery. And they were talking about her big discovery and her presenting it in Washington, were they not?

kalms
25th Sep 2011, 21:41

Hah! +1

CalinTM
26th Sep 2011, 00:37
Or the DNA thing, or she loves him.

Kyithios
26th Sep 2011, 02:04
There are lots of scenes where Adam acts dumber than he - and the player - is. Besides the already mentioned examples, I can think of the basement at Picus HQ. At that point of the game I already accepted, that Adam is kind of a slowpoke, so I was ready to take bets when he finally realizes that the Illuminati are behind this. After reading through X mails leading up to it, I arrived at the basement. There it is, a huge Illuminati logo, right into your face, in a secret basement. Nope, nothing. The email about crowd control. Nothing. Etc. Adam arrives back home, meeting Sarif, and, surprise surprise : "You're talking about ... the illuminati?" *facepalm*

Really, it destroys immersion if the protagonist is way behind the players thoughts.

Where did you see that? I need a screenshot, as I've failed to notice the logo.

imported_BoB_
26th Sep 2011, 02:23
It's kind of everywhere actually. But the best logo is in the room with the fake news about Mexican/Cuban (don't remember) riots.
I completely agree that Adam was dumb, but actually, I don't really see it there because how he would know about the Illuminati's logo exactly?

Sulix
26th Sep 2011, 06:59
It's kind of everywhere actually. But the best logo is in the room with the fake news about Mexican/Cuban (don't remember) riots.
I completely agree that Adam was dumb, but actually, I don't really see it there because how he would know about the Illuminati's logo exactly?

I just assumed it was common knowledge, because of rumors and so on, so I figured at this stage of the game (FEMA detention, Blacktower, TYM), he would have put 1 and 1 together. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe a sane person, eg. one who never played DX, wouldn't think about this in the first place.

PugPug
26th Sep 2011, 07:19
I didn't notice it at all. What is the Illuminati's logo? Is it the eye in the pyramid thing?

(the googles, how do they work?)

auric
26th Sep 2011, 10:13
I just assumed it was common knowledge, because of rumors and so on, so I figured at this stage of the game (FEMA detention, Blacktower, TYM), he would have put 1 and 1 together. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe a sane person, eg. one who never played DX, wouldn't think about this in the first place.

even a non-sane person won't = Illuminati from that equation.

FEMA is not part of the Illuminati
neither is Blacktower (just mercs 1 of many)
TYM, well not sure about that. I think they're being used only, but the owner is not part of the Illuminati either.

We're seeing 3 separate factions with no connections to one another, other than being coursed by an invisible hand.

I doubt Barret even knows who he's really working for.

jd10013
26th Sep 2011, 12:29
Yes it would have. Using Adam's DNA is exactly how Megan made her big discovery. And they were talking about her big discovery and her presenting it in Washington, were they not?

not really. they had moved on from that and were discussing things like her dog, a fence he was supposed to install, the high percentage of DOD contracts they were doing. a lot of small talk. she had kind of shut him down about her work early in their conversation.

I'm not saying she wasn't going to say that, but it just would have seemed chronologically off in their conversation. basically he asks her a few questions, she shoots them all down very nonchalantly, discusses other things for a few minutes, then out of the blue is going to say "by the way I stole your DNA and it's behind all my work"

Encephalon
26th Sep 2011, 13:01
When i first saw that scene, i thought she wanted to tell him that she's pregnant lol

I suppose im overthinking it, hoping that they would keep in close touch throughout the game
to emphasize on their relationship. Afterall, Adam's main motivation in this game was to
seek her out, always keeping the hope that she's alive. And when he finally finds her, maybe
she'll tell him of her pregnancy just before she dies, and it'll all end in a very high poignant note.

The scene however when she called out Namir's name as if he was her lover really disappointed me.
I can totally feel Adam's anger when he lashed out at her. B|tch. lol :D

Oh well, then again its nice to have an ending where the hero doesn't always win the girl i guess.

likta
26th Sep 2011, 13:19
When i first saw that scene, i thought she wanted to tell him that she's pregnant lol

That is exactly what I thought, too. I tried to avoid all trailers/previews/news etc. prior to the release, but I think I read somewhere that they are a couple.

auric
26th Sep 2011, 15:01
That is exactly what I thought, too. I tried to avoid all trailers/previews/news etc. prior to the release, but I think I read somewhere that they are a couple.

dun think they're married yet, based on the mother's words.

auric
26th Sep 2011, 15:02
The scene however when she called out Namir's name as if he was her lover really disappointed me.

Huh?
when did that happen?

Encephalon
26th Sep 2011, 15:58
Huh?
when did that happen?

The cutscene happened when you first step into Megan's White Room

it really wasn't much, but the way she called out Namir's name gave me the feeling that she and Namir
developed feelings for each other during her 6 months of captivity (Stockholm Syndrome perhaps?)

In fact it gave me the feeling that she didn't mind being away from Adam or miss him that much at all.

auric
26th Sep 2011, 16:09
The cutscene happened when you first step into Megan's White Room

it really wasn't much, but the way she called out Namir's name gave me the feeling that she and Namir
developed feelings for each other during her 6 months of captivity (Stockholm Syndrome perhaps?)

In fact it gave me the feeling that she didn't mind being away from Adam or miss him that much at all.

I just wonder at the end credit if
she's there willingly or not, if yes does she know who she's talking to or to her Bob is just another investor interest at her work.

Encephalon
26th Sep 2011, 16:13
she's there willingly or not, if yes does she know who she's talking to or to her Bob is just another investor interest at her work.

The final end credit cutscene gives me the impression that she doesn't have a choice (probably not willing) given what she said at the end , and it also gives me the impression that Megan is the sort of person who loves her work more then anything, and its even more important to her then developing meaningful human relationships. An extreme workaholic i'd say.

auric
26th Sep 2011, 16:23
The final end credit cutscene gives me the impression that she doesn't have a choice (probably not willing) given what she said at the end , and it also gives me the impression that Megan is the sort of person who loves her work more then anything, and its even more important to her then developing meaningful human relationships. An extreme workaholic i'd say.

It's also possible the end scene is days if not weeks later, happen to end up with Bob without force continuing her studies & interest to Bob's new nano research on human augmentation.

The way he say pls call me Bob, sounds very casual & he's not the type to come open in a forced situation, exposing himself. Like how he handles with JC, acting innocent all the way till JC got definite proof Bob is up to no good.
:)

jd10013
26th Sep 2011, 18:09
I kind of got that impression too. kind of like how Von Braun used the Nazi's to further his research, then made sure he ended up in US custody knowing the US had more resources available than the other allied nations. he essentially put his work on rocketry above all else.

Sulix
26th Sep 2011, 18:50
even a non-sane person won't = Illuminati from that equation.

FEMA is not part of the Illuminati
neither is Blacktower (just mercs 1 of many)
TYM, well not sure about that. I think they're being used only, but the owner is not part of the Illuminati either.

We're seeing 3 separate factions with no connections to one another, other than being coursed by an invisible hand.

I doubt Barret even knows who he's really working for.

I didn't mean that FEMA and Belltower were part of the Illuminati, just, that both of them had way more influence than the average citizen may think. Same goes for TYM, who even cooperated with the Illuminati. Hell there is even a pirate radio station covering those conspiracies which seems to be quite popular, so I guess Eidos Montreal's future world features a lot of chit-chat between people about those topics. Adam has experienced all of this.
And then there's Eliza, an AI created to control the whole media? What the hell? At this point it didn't even matter if it was the Illuminati who where behind this. Any other organization would be exactly the same thing beyond the name, so I really don't understand Adam's surprise as soon as Sarif tells him who's really behind this.

And finally don't forget about popcultural references. I even remember the Simpsons dedicating a whole episode to the freemasons. Therefore I think the average guy in 2027 at least has heard about the Illuminati and a lot of people know their 'logo'.

imported_BoB_
26th Sep 2011, 19:51
So basically, you're saying that a lot of people think that 9-11 was an inside job, and if someone would actually prove you it was true, you won't be kind of surprised?

I'm not so sure about that to be honest.

Sulix
26th Sep 2011, 20:12
So basically, you're saying that a lot of people think that 9-11 was an inside job, and if someone would actually prove you it was true, you won't be kind of surprise?

I'm not so sure about that to be honest.

Yeah, I would be very surprised, especially since I don't believe in this stuff.

Thing is, Adam was actually "proven" the truth before his conversation with Sarif. If you'd like to compare this to 911, that's like your favourite newscast shows you some video footage of uniformed employees installing tons of explosives on several stories weeks before the incident, and then, hours later, after another news reporter tells you the personnel was affiliated with the government, you go all like "So you're telling me there was a conspiracy...no way!".

jd10013
26th Sep 2011, 20:42
I didn't mean that FEMA and Belltower were part of the Illuminati, just, that both of them had way more influence than the average citizen may think. Same goes for TYM, who even cooperated with the Illuminati. Hell there is even a pirate radio station covering those conspiracies which seems to be quite popular, so I guess Eidos Montreal's future world features a lot of chit-chat between people about those topics. Adam has experienced all of this.
And then there's Eliza, an AI created to control the whole media? What the hell? At this point it didn't even matter if it was the Illuminati who where behind this. Any other organization would be exactly the same thing beyond the name, so I really don't understand Adam's surprise as soon as Sarif tells him who's really behind this.

And finally don't forget about popcultural references. I even remember the Simpsons dedicating a whole episode to the freemasons. Therefore I think the average guy in 2027 at least has heard about the Illuminati and a lot of people know their 'logo'.

lol. it wasn't about the Freemasons, just about secret societies. and they pretty much lampooned them as the whole purpose was to eat ribs, play ping pong, and get drunk. but I doubt most people have ever heard of the Illuminati. they ceased to exist outside of conspiracy lore a long time ago, unlike the Freemasons who still accept members.

Sulix
26th Sep 2011, 21:08
Doesn't matter if they lampooned them or not, although it was my mistake about the freemasons (I've seen this episode years ago). Point was, those topics are referenced in media, even if mostly as parody.

Anyways, this is getting more and more offtopic. Since I'm slowly getting short of arguments I'll stop right here, but you're free to add further opinions if you want to. Right now, I'll stick to my point of view. Considering all the things Adam has seen on his journey up to that point, I would have expected him to guess it by then.

jeyeichkey
28th Sep 2011, 08:31
What Megan really wanted to say in the elevator:
Look Adam, that Patient X thing.. that is you. And I have already collected all the the DNA I need from you.. so you can now get the fick out of my life. I have grand plans to become the super villian in this world! Hahaha..eh? Pritchard? Never saw you come in. Nice weather eh?

;^)

jeyeichkey
28th Sep 2011, 08:34
Considering all the things Adam has seen on his journey up to that point, I would have expected him to guess it by then.

He is not exactly the sharpest tool in the box since he is being "played" by everyone ;^)

Edit after getting my morning coffee:
Jokes aside, Adam is a very guillable character which makes him very sympatic and kind of fun to play with. Maybe that's why Deus Ex is such a awesome game? That and the conspiracy theories of course.
I assume that Adam don't want to understand the connection until the very end. He might still miss his ex-girlfriend believed to be dead. When she suddenly appears alive he might get mixed feelings about this discovery. Do he really want to meet with her to ask her to get back togheter again or, as I have see it, the latter, he gets pissed off after the last boss and is only there to reprimand here. That is what I thought of it anyway.

MaxxQ1
28th Sep 2011, 08:52
lol. it wasn't about the Freemasons, just about secret societies. and they pretty much lampooned them as the whole purpose was to eat ribs, play ping pong, and get drunk. but I doubt most people have ever heard of the Illuminati. they ceased to exist outside of conspiracy lore a long time ago, unlike the Freemasons who still accept members.

And that's just what they want everyone to think...

:rasp: