PDA

View Full Version : What's with killing everybody at the pods? (SPOILERS)

Darnel
22nd Sep 2011, 00:04
Why was Belltower killing everybody left and right? All they needed was Arie. That doesn't require slaughtering everyone.

Pinky_Powers
22nd Sep 2011, 00:40
The writers wanted to elicit a number of heavy emotions at that point in the game. And it's always a celebrated privilege to have a clear-cut enemy you can unleash your wickedness upon. :)

Jason Parker
22nd Sep 2011, 00:43
Why was Belltower killing everybody left and right? All they needed was Arie. That doesn't require slaughtering everyone.

As I understand they're making the raid as part of their work for TYM and not under the governmental contract to police lower hengsha. So they're acting not exactly legal by busting in there and abducting a guy. So I guess they simply want to avoid witnesses so they do not loose their governmental contracts to their competition.

Painman
22nd Sep 2011, 00:51
It's a little ham-handed, maybe, but yeah. Up to that point in the game, I have typically only been killing Spec Ops guys, but after that, it's open season on Belltower.

It does reinforce the game narrative that Belltower has no regard for Hengsha residents whatsoever.

Random
22nd Sep 2011, 00:53
This was another case of the heavy-handed story (these are The Bad Guys, got it??) getting in the way of gameplay. This was the point where I gave up on being nonlethal and just started massacring everyone. It's hard to feel any empathy for psychopathic murderers like Belltower, so this was the point the game lost all its tension in the 'lethal or nonlethal' question.

(Compare to DX1 where you hear a conversation between parents about their son who's a member of MJ-12. Makes you think twice about killing them.)

itsonyourhead
22nd Sep 2011, 01:02
I'm reminded of The Shield.

They started that TV series with a dirty cop protagonist killing another cop, and along the way decided to make the dirty cop the "ruthless" good guy.

In order to get a villain on the show they really had to make him BAD. They had him rape and tattoo a small child.

The writers wanted to paint Bell-tower as the bad-guys.

I don't think that was the right move, personally. A strength of DX 1 was that there weren't any clear cut bad guys.

By the end of the game, even Bob Page's position makes some sense, even if he is motivated by megalomeniacal tendencies and committed mass genocide.

Cronicler
22nd Sep 2011, 02:18
TBH, I felt that it fit the cyberpunk genre perfectly.
You have to remember that Belltower is not a single body, The kill team dispatched to A.G.P. is the wetworks department while most of the grunts on the street are just regular mercenary soldiers stuck in a bad position. I had no problems eliminating their wetwork operatives but I really didn't want to slaughter their grunts on Heng-Sha streets.

I just wish there was an easy way to identify the murderers from the regular grunts as I really wanted to spare the protesting corporal at the Docks. It was hard to distinguish which identical grunt he was.

meev991
22nd Sep 2011, 02:34
I just wish there was an easy way to identify the murderers from the regular grunts ...

http://guidesmedia.ign.com/guides/57511/images/590/acbrother_bwm_022.jpg

rokstrombo
22nd Sep 2011, 04:31
TBH, I felt that it fit the cyberpunk genre perfectly.
You have to remember that Belltower is not a single body, The kill team dispatched to A.G.P. is the wetworks department while most of the grunts on the street are just regular mercenary soldiers stuck in a bad position. I had no problems eliminating their wetwork operatives but I really didn't want to slaughter their grunts on Heng-Sha streets.

I just wish there was an easy way to identify the murderers from the regular grunts as I really wanted to spare the protesting corporal at the Docks. It was hard to distinguish which identical grunt he was.

I agree with this too. The leader of the Alice Garden Pods massacre had a name and a little bit of background. It would have been nice to get a bit more background on Belltower and the people they contract. An employee of Tai Yong Medical in Upper Hengsha commented on how helpful Belltower are, whereas everyone in the lower city was suspicious or bitter and Belltower's presence in their city. It seemed to me that Belltower and the other PMCs were more of a side-note to the story despite their heavy presence in the game.

Painman
22nd Sep 2011, 05:42
It seemed to me that Belltower and the other PMCs were more of a side-note to the story despite their heavy presence in the game.

Agreed; the lack of exposition re: Belltower was kind of annoying. They're obviously heavily involved in the overall conspiracy, but who's in charge? Not the "Tyrants"; they're just high level officers. Belltower are more or less just generic bad guys. I guess we can assume that their leader is an Illuminatus, but who? We never find out.

With MJ12, you have this shadow organization which demonstrates the level of infiltration that Page's splinter faction has managed to achieve within ruling bodies like the UN, and you get to know who's at the top.

imported_BoB_
22nd Sep 2011, 13:38
You only know about MJ12 hierarchy because you are involved in this, as simple as that. Again, the two games didn't have the same goal story wise. JC learned a lot of information about MJ12, Adam didn't learn much about Belltower because it's not his quest.
Besides, you know that Illuminati control all the private security group, because it's when they broadcast the new world of terror that UNATCO is created to fight them. There is a lot of documents about that, and even a newspaper that talk specifically about Belltower/NSF and another group I don't remember the name and their frightening growing importance throughout the world.
Basically, they create them, they control them in the shadows and then they blame them (through Picus) and it's how the UN force is created. The Illuminatis have always the same modus operanti so it's not difficult to fill the gap.

I'm under the impression that a lot of nitpicking about the story are just people that don't make the connections already in the game. They didn't have to explain all this because we already know how it's working. It would have been redundant for Deus Ex players, and redundant for Human Revolution players that wanted to play Deus Ex for the first time. The two games complement each other, like they should have.