PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex and X Media Digital

Shepherd492
16th Sep 2011, 09:10
I have a Youtube channel, and recently wanted to post videos of Deus Ex Human Revolution on it. These videos are approximately twenty five minutes in length, and are unaltered from the original state of gameplay. However, when the video has finished publishing, I immediately get a copyright notice from X Media Digital, and this causes me to LOSE my unlimited length video status. As such, the Deus Ex video is instantly rejected, and I am unable to file copyright claims because the video has technically violated Youtube terms by being over 15 minutes (Despite the fact that when i start uploading the video, I have authorization to post unlimited length).

I attempted to clear up some older (similarly bogus) copyright claims, and re upload the video, and the exact same thing happened. Immediately after taking the video down, I am returned to my unlimited length status. My question is, can someone on here authorize me to use this content, seeing as this is an official site? I feel like I'm being taken advantage of yet again by the ridiculous U.S. copyright laws, and am unable to combat it due to the aforementioned issue. Therefore I need help from someone official if I am going to solve this problem. Please note that 1.) there are several Deus Ex playthroughs already on Youtube, some with videos of over fifteen minutes, some with only 5-10 minute videos and 2.) I am not a youtube partner and make no profit from this whatsoever.

Shepherd492
16th Sep 2011, 09:16
As an example, here are five youtube partners (meaning they actually COULD profit from the videos) who are allowed to post Deus Ex videos of unlimited length, good to see everyone gets treated the same on good ol' youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TAlAZfbHJg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt5soMP-FfY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOtbkdiUy_4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0hv3HxPn2Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOmoWVbhWiU

jaywalker2309
16th Sep 2011, 09:36
Hi there, am not up on the legal side of things, but i have passed on your post etc..

Shepherd492
16th Sep 2011, 14:02
Much appreciated, I am somewhat confused (more than usual!) by this copyright claim. Does X Media Digital have any affilation with Eidos or Deus Ex that you are aware of? I'd never even heard of them, and a google search turns up no results for that specific name, so I am very confused as to how this can happen. The video is seriously just gameplay, and I'd be more than happy to show it to any parties that can help clear this up.

JuryDutySummons
16th Sep 2011, 19:10
Hi Shepherd492... I ran into the exact same issue... I lost my ability to upload long videos too. However, I am still able to dispute the copyright claim like normal. There is a link on your "my videos" page that you can follow to submit a dispute.

jaycw2309, if we could get public official permission to upload gameplay videos it would make dealing with YouTube much easier. So far I've had two of my Deus Ex videos flagged by IGN, one flagged by "Agora" and not one by "X Media Digital"

I 90% sure it's just a simple problem with an over-zealous content ID matching system (http://www.youtube.com/t/contentid), but it sure is damn tedious.

Shepherd492
16th Sep 2011, 21:32
Thanks for the feedback Jury, let me clarify the status of my video. After the video is uploaded and the ID is matched, then my video is REJECTED (as in unwatchable un editable etc) and filing a dispute for it is pointless as the video is technically in violation of youtube's terms of service at that point. I can dispute the claim, but it will do no good because the video has actually been removed from youtube. I also feel that losing my privledge to unlimited length videos (most of my videos are 20-35 minutes long) is not a fair price to pay for basically doing nothing wrong.

The content ID system on youtube is absolutely insane, just a bizarre money grab. It is a good way to protect artists, yes, but when random company #234 is allowed to just claim copyright like no tomorrow, then that is a problem with me. It also bothers me that the partners OBVIOUSLY get exempted from this, whereas the average youtuber gets hit with random idiotic copyrights in pretty much any imaginable form.

Lv4
16th Sep 2011, 21:44
Hello there, got the same issue as Jury. I asked an Eidos member if Agora was part of Eidos in some way, told me he didn't know about it. So I submitted a dispute yesterday, still waiting.

I never had the ability to upload > 15 min videos, but the fact that Agora could choose when to shut the video down plus the fact that ads are sometimes added to my videos pisses me off.

I think you can dispute without any problem. Will get back to you if I encounter any..

Shepherd492
16th Sep 2011, 22:14
My understanding of the unlimited length videos has always been that you surpass a certain ratio of content id:not content id videos. Usually when i go to dispute some idiotic claim, the dispute goes through instantly and the infringement claim is gone, in this case it doesn't because the video is not on youtube anymore. Very bizarre situation but i effectively CANNOT dispute this particular claim, due to the aforementioned issue.

JuryDutySummons
17th Sep 2011, 18:44
Thanks for the feedback Jury, let me clarify the status of my video. After the video is uploaded and the ID is matched, then my video is REJECTED (as in unwatchable un editable etc) and filing a dispute for it is pointless as the video is technically in violation of youtube's terms of service at that point. I can dispute the claim, but it will do no good because the video has actually been removed from youtube. I also feel that losing my privledge to unlimited length videos (most of my videos are 20-35 minutes long) is not a fair price to pay for basically doing nothing wrong.

The content ID system on youtube is absolutely insane, just a bizarre money grab. It is a good way to protect artists, yes, but when random company #234 is allowed to just claim copyright like no tomorrow, then that is a problem with me. It also bothers me that the partners OBVIOUSLY get exempted from this, whereas the average youtuber gets hit with random idiotic copyrights in pretty much any imaginable form.

Oh, I see... yes, I'm getting the same problem. They removed the content-ID match as a false-positive, gave me back my 15min+ privileges, but the video is still "Rejected". When I saw that this morning I thought hay, I should try uploading it again and see what happens... well same thing happened again. :(

My next step is to cut the video in two parts and upload two 10-min segments. I realy don't like doing that since I've already rendered the next 4 videos, and it will screw up all my numbering. And I'm likely going to need to fight the SAME battle again with the content ID match. :(

Romeo
17th Sep 2011, 19:46
Oh, I see... yes, I'm getting the same problem. They removed the content-ID match as a false-positive, gave me back my 15min+ privileges, but the video is still "Rejected". When I saw that this morning I thought hay, I should try uploading it again and see what happens... well same thing happened again. :(

My next step is to cut the video in two parts and upload two 10-min segments. I realy don't like doing that since I've already rendered the next 4 videos, and it will screw up all my numbering. And I'm likely going to need to fight the SAME battle again with the content ID match. :(
I understand that it is not an optimal solution, but if the number is your concern (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, etc), could you not divide them up by halves (Part 1 - First Half, Part 1 - Second Half, Part 2 - First Half, etc)?

Shepherd492
20th Sep 2011, 15:08
Am I ever going to get an official response on this or should I just forget about it and move on?

jaywalker2309
20th Sep 2011, 15:25
Not been forgotten.. chasing up again for you

Do you have a youtube link of one of your clips?

Shepherd492
20th Sep 2011, 16:44
Oh ok, thanks very much!

I don't actually have a Youtube clip of it, due to the issues with the video being rejected instantly after upload, however I can send it through email I suppose.

My channel is http://www.youtube.com/user/Shepherd492?feature=mhee

Lv4
20th Sep 2011, 18:36
My Youtube video which had copyright issues now show no sign of claim. I didn't even get a message/mail to tell me everything's ok. But it seems my dispute was valid.

Shepherd492
21st Sep 2011, 10:03
Ok, just uploaded it to Youtube, and it has yet to been hit by copyrights. Odd considering I changed NOTHING from what was denied a week ago. You can view the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ij6QDfe3U . Hopefully the rest of the videos will be ok now too. I am very grateful for the assistance and advice on this thread.

jaywalker2309
21st Sep 2011, 10:06
Ok, just uploaded it to Youtube, and it has yet to been hit by copyrights. Odd considering I changed NOTHING from what was denied a week ago. You can view the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ij6QDfe3U . Hopefully the rest of the videos will be ok now too. I am very grateful for the assistance and advice on this thread.

Cool hopefully all goes okay now

jtr7
21st Sep 2011, 10:12
That's awesome. Thanks for having his back. :flowers:

Brockxz
21st Sep 2011, 10:22
Yes, this is really strange thing. I also uploaded videos of pure unaltered gameplay without any other media added to that video and got copyright notice and had to remove all my long DXHR gameplay videos. Never had such problem with any other game's gameplay videos longer than 10 minutes.

Malakie
11th Oct 2011, 14:11
Was there ever any determination here? I've gotten the same thing, on the final sequence including the boss battle + credits. I'm pretty sure this is just yet another failing of YouTube's content ID system but I'd like to get verification.

Thanks a lot for taking time to look into this. I'd link the video but it's been deleted, oddly enough. That's never happened before with other mistaken copyright claims.

Fluffis
11th Oct 2011, 23:54
Was there ever any determination here? I've gotten the same thing, on the final sequence including the boss battle + credits. I'm pretty sure this is just yet another failing of YouTube's content ID system but I'd like to get verification.

Thanks a lot for taking time to look into this. I'd link the video but it's been deleted, oddly enough. That's never happened before with other mistaken copyright claims.

I got hit with this on my RAGE "let's play". I've checked around, and found that X Media Digital is a Russian company which, among other things, sells partnerships to people (not allowed, according to YouTube). They have also been hitting most recent triple-A titles with copyright claims (mainly directed at small-time youtubers like me), which are completely fake.

I'm surprised that this hasn't had a bigger fallout, tbh. This is a company that's claiming copyright on the visuals on all recent triple-A titles. I'd have figured the gaming industry would be up in arms.

The issue as such is fairly easy to get rid of; just dispute it, and it goes away. They have no legal claim in any way shape or form. The problem for the individual youtuber comes from having privileges removed while the claim is active (removal of 15+ minute upload), which may lead to videos being rejected. And if you upload again, it gets hit by the same copyright claim.

What boggles the mind is that the game publishers aren't landing on this damn company like a thousand metric tons of spike-covered bricks. I mean, they are infringing on copyright in one of the most spectacularly brazen ways I have ever seen; they just say "We own this", and try to make uploaders believe it. When I found out that these guys are complete frauds, I burst out laughing at the sheer absurdity of it all.

There also seems to be a company called "Agora" who are doing the same thing.

Romeo
12th Oct 2011, 00:01
I got hit with this on my RAGE "let's play". I've checked around, and found that X Media Digital is a Russian company which, among other things, sells partnerships to people (not allowed, according to YouTube). They have also been hitting most recent triple-A titles with copyright claims (mainly directed at small-time youtubers like me), which are completely fake.

I'm surprised that this hasn't had a bigger fallout, tbh. This is a company that's claiming copyright on the visuals on all recent triple-A titles. I'd have figured the gaming industry would be up in arms.

The issue as such is fairly easy to get rid of; just dispute it, and it goes away. They have no legal claim in any way shape or form. The problem for the individual youtuber comes from having privileges removed while the claim is active (removal of 15+ minute upload), which may lead to videos being rejected. And if you upload again, it gets hit by the same copyright claim.

What boggles the mind is that the game publishers aren't landing on this damn company like a thousand metric tons of spike-covered bricks. I mean, they are infringing on copyright in one of the most spectacularly brazen ways I have ever seen; they just say "We own this", and try to make uploaders believe it. When I found out that these guys are complete frauds, I burst out laughing at the sheer absurdity of it all.

There also seems to be a company called "Agora" who are doing the same thing.
I tried that with a Porsche once. I lost that dispute as well. :D

Fluffis
12th Oct 2011, 00:05
I tried that with a Porsche once. I lost that dispute as well. :D

Now, that I think I'd like to have seen. :D

Seriously, though. I haven't put any DX:HR on my channel (still thinking about it), so I can't confirm if XMD or Agora are still at it with that, but I'd really like to hear from someone in the know here.

I've contacted Bethesda, about RAGE. I'm hoping that I'll actually hear something about it. I mean, it's so weird that they're getting away with doing this.

Romeo
12th Oct 2011, 02:01
Yeah, I wish I could give you a more concrete answer, but I'm just as curious as you are. Frankly, I'm waiting for some angry (Hopefully fiscal) retribution to come raining down on them as a result of this ridiculous situation.

Fluffis
12th Oct 2011, 02:25
Yeah, I wish I could give you a more concrete answer, but I'm just as curious as you are. Frankly, I'm waiting for some angry (Hopefully fiscal) retribution to come raining down on them as a result of this ridiculous situation.

I know what you mean. I've done my best in order to try to raise awareness, and force the issue as it were. Posting on the youtube forums, contacting Bethesda, now trying to reach someone here and even made a video for my channel (though it's such a small channel, it's really a vain hope that that will do anything). Just anything to get a reaction out of someone.

It's just such a "what the hell are they playing at" situation.

Jerion
12th Oct 2011, 03:00
I would like to see something done about this as well. I'll be waiting next to Romeo for that retribution.

Romeo
12th Oct 2011, 04:14
Jerion... We need to ally (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-c81PXwygU&t=34s).

Fluffis
12th Oct 2011, 19:38
Still nothing on this, huh?

I've gotta say that trying to wrap my head around how this is just given the silent treatment, is making my head spin...