PDA

View Full Version : Megan Reed (*SPOILERS*)

nuts and volts
15th Sep 2011, 15:55
[ This is copied from a thread I posted on the GameFAQs forums, where discussion is mostly limited to DLC pricing and comparing DXHR to Mass Effect. I figure it may be better suited here. I apologize if there's a similar thread, but I couldn't find it. I feel like this specific plot element warrants singular discussion. ]

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx53/frostyfree/Megan_Reed2.png

I haven't been playing the ARG or keeping up with DXHR's surrounding media lately, so some of this information is possibly incorrect or has been disproven. If it has and you can prove it, post the reasoning and help this thread.

How this works: provable, fact-based stuff will be in normal script and written, well, normally. Hypotheticals will be in italic script to differentiate, and to help you distinguish what is my own conjecture and what is actually in the game. Some of the information used here is from FuturePress' spectacular Collector's Edition guide, which I'm going to take as canon; everything else is from information gathered in-game. I have not read Icarus Effect or the comic books or any other DXHR-related fiction, so if there's light to be shed from those departments and you're an expert, please shed it.

On we go.

PRE-GAME
Megan Reed was born in 1995, and grew up in Seattle. (This makes her 32 years old at the start of DXHR.) Her parents were both doctors who put their careers ahead of the people in their lives, a theme that would recur in their daughter. She left the country to finish her degrees in biology, neurology, and psychology (France) and did not return until 2018. In 2020 she was hired on by Sarif Industries, and by 2023 was head of Sarif's research team. Note that David Sarif's chief mentor is Hugh Darrow, who at this time is a member of the Illuminati. Darrow's opinion would likely hold a lot of sway with Sarif; it is entirely possible that Reed's hiring was actually Darrow's suggestion.

Reed dated Adam Jensen for four years, and their breakup is stated as being 'several years' before 2027. We can infer, then, that Jensen and Reed's relationship likely began around 2020 and ended around 2024. We can also make an educated guess as to how their relationship began: Reed is augmented with a CASIE implant while Jensen is unenhanced, which likely makes him entirely susceptible to her 'wiles.' Jensen was the one who broke off the relationship, but it was due to Reed's tunnel-visioning on her scientific pursuits, leaving Adam as an afterthought she displayed little interest in. This makes sense with our little timeline, as Reed's promotion comes in 2023, and the couple would likely struggle until the relationship faltered and died sometime in 2024. During their relationship, Reed collected a sample of Adam's DNA (!?!??!) and used it as a testbed for her human enhancement research, and it proved more than fruitful - it is the direct reason Sarif Industries' breakthrough in 'controlled evolution' occurred in the first place. Why Reed would 'randomly' use her own boyfriend's DNA for testing without his knowledge or consent is left to the audience, and I think it's obvious; she knew Jensen's 'special properties' because she was informed of them by Hugh Darrow, and did not date him as a coincidence - it was specifically to collect a sample of his DNA.

Despite her ex-boyfriend's firing (he says he quit) by DPD's SWAT division, Reed suggested David Sarif hire him as a security consultant, which Sarif agreed to. Reed herself also suggested that Sarif, wary of the attention Jensen had attracted, perform a background check on him to assuage his fears. I don't think she expected Brent Radford to be so effective at uncovering Jensen's ties to White Helix and VersaLife (and therefore Bob Page), but I do think she had another plan at work here; to open an unsafe data portal via the backdoor that Sarif himself introduces to his security network, allowing Reed to communicate to Darrow and Belltower and thereby compromise Pritchard and Jensen's surprisingly effective security measures.

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx53/frostyfree/MEGANANDMRHUGH.jpg

IN-GAME
With their relationship long since ended, by 2027 Reed is still thriving in her post as head of Sarif Industries' science division. By this time, Adam Jensen - who had been fired from his post as SWAT commander during the Mexicantown Massacre (which likely took place in 2025?) - was hired on by Sarif as a security consultant, and later as chief of Sarif's physical security team. David Sarif himself had recently announced a meteoric breakthrough in augmentation technology that would allow for humanity to enact self-controlled evolution on demand, and Reed and her team are preparing for a series of hearings in Washington D.C. to defend their controversial research before a panel of politicians and experts. This is largely because of growing anxiety about augmentation and outright anti-augmentation sentiment, the majority of which has been stirred up by the Illuminati themselves via Bill Taggart and Humanity Front. This would indicate one of two things to be consistent with our theory that Megan has always been a conspirator: either a) she must be a direct subordinate of Darrow, and unaware that he's begun splintering from the Illuminati at-large, or b) she is not responsible for the decision to go public with their research, and may have suggested to Sarif that he not do so in the first place. I'm more in line with the former, as it makes more sense to me.

Her kidnapping just before departure is apocalyptic in that she is taken, all of her top colleagues are taken (Sevchenko, Faherty, Koss, and Colvin), and all of her research (at Sarif's headquarters) is destroyed. The perpetrators of this attack are the Tyrants, a spec ops division of elites working for Belltower, who are later revealed to be working rather directly for Hugh Darrow. This spells disaster for Sarif Industries, as stock dives and the breakthrough never comes. The hearings in D.C. are summarily put off until further notice, and, obviously, Adam Jensen is grievously wounded before being 'upgraded' into the Jensen we know and love. This proves that Darrow is only using David, and has probably been using him for some time; he has no qualms about attacking his own protegé's base of operations and killing dozens of people to accomplish his goals. More to the point, the fact that Reed's attack on Namir during the prologue is so ineffective, and that he kills all the researchers but for her and her team, makes it hard not to think this was an extraction, not a kidnapping, orchestrated by Reed and Darrow.

The next time Jensen and Reed meet is at Omega Ranch, where it's revealed that Reed has been continuing her research and in fact has come up with a biochip that allows for input from a wireless source, effectively allowing augmented people to be controlled by proxy. Not only that, but Reed was actively telling her fellow 'hostages' not to resist the regime change and to instead dive into their new work, encouraging them to keep going. Not only that, but Reed seems to greet Jaron Namir - her purported captor and malevolent keeper - warmly, and without hostility, when Jensen penetrates her and Darrow's joint quarters in Omega Ranch. This does nothing but reinforce the hinting that she's been an integral part of this entire disaster from the get-go, and does not care who really gets hurt (or killed) as a result of her selfish pursuit of progress. She hastily distracts Adam from his anger by 'confessing' to something Adam already knows - that he is the genetic template, the Patient X, from which all of Reed's research is derived. Before anything else can be said, Darrow initiates his feedback plan, driving augs insane, and Reed is extracted again by Faridah Malik/generic Sarif pilot. You do not see her again.

POST-GAME
Reed signs up with Bob Page to develop a nanovirus that will eventually become the Gray Death, which allows for the expanding influence of VersaLife - the proprietors of White Helix labs, where Adam was created, and producers of both neuropozyne and Ambrosia - and, by extension, Page and his MJ12. If Reed is an unwitting pawn in all this, this post-credits scene makes NO SENSE. Why in the name of God would she deliberately do this? She even acknowledges that she'll be working on a nanite virus chimera! WTF!?

tl;dr: Reed is Darrow's subordinate, lured to the scientist's side by the promise of unchecked research and development to allow her creativity to run wild. Her upbringing has made her cold and uncaring towards people in the specifics, and she values her own research more than anything else; her parents were like that, and she is, too, as evidenced by how she seemingly throws away the potential marriage she may have had to Adam Jensen.

She has been working for Darrow since before her return to the United States; she was likely recruited while overseas. She manipulates Jensen into a relationship via her CASIE implant and discards him once she's gotten what she needs from him (his DNA) via sleeping with the poor bastard, then uses his genetic code to achieve her 'next step' in science. When Darrow informs her that Sarif, resistant to Illuminati influence and poised to offer their breakthrough to the public at relatively low cost, is too dangerous to be allowed to remain in control of their efforts, he 'pulls her out' to his newly refurbished, formerly-WHO Omega Ranch facility, where she can complete her research.

After Darrow is stopped, Reed has run out of lifelines. Returning to Sarif doesn't make sense for her, so she instead reaches out to Bob Page, who gleefully recruits her into his MJ12 splinter group, and with him she creates the Gray Death and literally almost ruins human civilization in the name of 'science.'

Only two things temper her depiction as a downright villain, and they do not temper it all that much: for what it's worth, she seems legitimately torn about what she has done to Adam, as if she recognizes what that says about her as a human being, and seems almost willing to sit down and talk with him about the nature of her research. She does not, however.

The second is something I've not personally witnessed, because I've never accepted the 'upgrade' from Hengsha's LIMB clinic before stowing away to Singapore; from what I understand, she disables the killswitch in Jensen, and this is what allows him to avoid being driven insane by Darrow's signal.

Keep in mind that neither of these things make Reed a good person, or less of an evil conspirator - they make her an evil conspirator who may be in love with Adam Jensen, and nothing more.

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx53/frostyfree/DXHR_Megan_Reed_Lab.png

ESOTERICA
- Evidence about Reed's childhood and past is collected from the FuturePress Collector's Edition guide in her character biography. Some information was also gathered from the Deus Ex wikia database, found at: deusex(dot)wikia(dot)com.
- Proof that it was Reed's suggestion to open insecure data portal and run the background check on Jensen to assuage Sarif is implicit in the conversation that takes place between Jensen and Sarif if you 'win' the argument (as part of the Yes Boss achievement).
- Reed's CASIE implant is discussed in office e-mails in the Detroit Sarif Industries building while investigating the neuropozyne thefts that are background to the Lesser Evil sidequest.
- The connection to Hugh Darrow stretching back before the game begins is made apparent by a photo you can find of Reed and Darrow shaking hands some time in past; it's in her office, and is part of the Old School Gamer achievement.

LOOSE ENDS
- It's hard to get too exact on dates like when the Jensen/Reed relationship takes place, because many milestones are likewise not given dates, such as the Mexicantown Massacre and Jensen's actual firing/quitting from the DPD SWAT team. That's mostly left to conjecture.
- Reed's decision to work for Page after Darrow is stopped - and that Page runs VersaLife, which runs White Helix, which is where Adam was made imply that Page and Darrow are possibly co-conspirators at this point against the Illuminati body proper, albeit for different reasons. Page shares his information about White Helix and Adam only with Darrow; Zhao Yun Ru and Bill Taggart clearly have no idea about Jensen or the scope of what he means in the grander scheme of things, and the Illuminati likely do not know, either. As a result, only Darrow and Page are really privy to the main driving forces of the DXHR plot, and may actually be the beginnings of Page's eventual plan to split from the Illuminati and assume more direct control of the world stage.

3rdmillhouse
15th Sep 2011, 16:05
Thanks for posting. An interesting read and I agree with every part of it.

PS: you might also wanna post that in the 2 page topic already on the first page. We're focusing the discussions on that one.

nuts and volts
15th Sep 2011, 16:17
PS: you might also wanna post that in the 2 page topic already on the first page. We're focusing the discussions on that one.

Thanks for the heads up; I just did rudimentary searches for keywords like 'reed' and got limited results, so I just kind of put this together on-the-fly. For what it's worth, I've tried to address here all manner of questions and theories regarding Reed stretching back before the infamous post-credits MGS-style stinger, so maybe it's a little more comprehensive? I don't know. :naughty:

Thats unpossible
15th Sep 2011, 16:42
POST-GAME
Reed signs up with Bob Page to develop a nanovirus that will eventually become the Gray Death, which allows for the expanding influence of VersaLife - the proprietors of White Helix labs, where Adam was created, and producers of both neuropozyne and Ambrosia - and, by extension, Page and his MJ12. [I]If Reed is an unwitting pawn in all this, this post-credits scene makes NO SENSE. Why in the name of God would she deliberately do this? She even acknowledges that she'll be working on a nanite virus chimera! WTF!?

Myth #1: The nanite-virus chimera is the Gray Death.
Where does it say that it is? It is much more plausible that Megan began research on the nanotech augmentations and then Everett took her research to make the Gray Death. Just my conjecture though.

Myth #2: If it has the word virus in it, then it must be evil.
Read Jaime Reyes' computer (and also get a crash course in virology if you never took biology) if you want to understand how the nano-augs work. Jaime Reyes' e-mail explains that the Dentons' nanotech augs ARE nanite-virus chimeras. The key is in the definition of nanite-virus chimera. The outer shell of the nanite is virus. Inside the virus is the machinery such as the CPU, transmitter etc. Fits the perfect definition of nanite-virus chimera, doesn't it?

Myth #3: Megan knows Page is an Illuminati.
Not likely, otherwise why would Page cut off Everett just before Megan arrives?

Logical conjecture: Megan is being duped, same as with the biochip

nuts and volts
15th Sep 2011, 16:55
Where does it say that it is? It is much more plausible that Megan began research on the nanotech augmentations and then Everett took her research to make the Gray Death. Just my conjecture though.

This is no more or less likely than the scenario I postulated, but it makes slightly less sense in regard to consistency. If Megan is an unwitting dupe, why wouldn't she just return to Sarif in DXHR's postgame? Sarif is a proponent of mostly-unchecked progress as well, and she has both rapport and sympathy points with him and his company. Why go to Page, and how would she have made that leap on her own? Assuming she's approached by Page, why accept?

Read Jaime Reyes' computer (and also get a crash course in virology if you never took biology) if you want to understand how the nano-augs work. Jaime Reyes' e-mail explains that the Dentons' nanotech augs ARE nanite-virus chimeras. The key is in the definition of nanite-virus chimera. The outer shell of the nanite is virus. Inside the virus is the machinery such as the CPU, transmitter etc. Fits the perfect definition of nanite-virus chimera, doesn't it?

I concede that this makes sense. I don't necessarily think that the nanite virus chimera is analogous to the D Project itself, but I agree that it makes sense that it could be. Ultimately, however, I suppose that what Reed works on specifically re: the post-game quote doesn't matter, just that she's willing to again pursue progress at the expense of others.

Megan was privy to Darrow's status as an Illuminatus, and through conjecture it's possible to logically deduce that Darrow and Page are closely linked/related; in point of fact it's likely that the beginnings of Page's campaign to splinter off begin here, in DXHR, with Darrow as his little cohort. Assuming this is true, it's consistent that Reed would know about Page's status and seek him out after Darrow's betrayal(?); also, he doesn't cut Morgan Everett off, he merely mentions he has to cut their conversation short, as Reed has arrived. This doesn't mean he's hiding anything from her, merely that he's switching gears.

Megan knew what the biochip was capable of; the difference is that she either trusted Darrow's judgment, or didn't care what he did with it. Knowing what we know about her, who's to say which is more likely?

Thats unpossible
15th Sep 2011, 18:30
This is no more or less likely than the scenario I postulated, but it makes slightly less sense in regard to consistency. If Megan is an unwitting dupe, why wouldn't she just return to Sarif in DXHR's postgame? Sarif is a proponent of mostly-unchecked progress as well, and she has both rapport and sympathy points with him and his company. Why go to Page, and how would she have made that leap on her own? Assuming she's approached by Page, why accept?

I concede that this makes sense. I don't necessarily think that the nanite virus chimera is analogous to the D Project itself, but I agree that it makes sense that it could be. Ultimately, however, I suppose that what Reed works on specifically re: the post-game quote doesn't matter, just that she's willing to again pursue progress at the expense of others.

Megan was privy to Darrow's status as an Illuminatus, and through conjecture it's possible to logically deduce that Darrow and Page are closely linked/related; in point of fact it's likely that the beginnings of Page's campaign to splinter off begin here, in DXHR, with Darrow as his little cohort. Assuming this is true, it's consistent that Reed would know about Page's status and seek him out after Darrow's betrayal(?); also, he doesn't cut Morgan Everett off, he merely mentions he has to cut their conversation short, as Reed has arrived. This doesn't mean he's hiding anything from her, merely that he's switching gears.

Megan knew what the biochip was capable of; the difference is that she either trusted Darrow's judgment, or didn't care what he did with it. Knowing what we know about her, who's to say which is more likely?

There's not enough information to make conclusions but speculation is fun nonetheless. Who knows how much time elapsed before Reed joined Page? Maybe she did go back to Sarif Industries for a while. How does one resume life after being declared dead? Who knows if she sought out Page by herself or was head-hunted? Who knows why she accepted? Money? Bored with mech augs? Maybe mech augs were becoming obsolete? Who knows how the D Project is organised - was she compartmentalised on a need to know basis? 25 years is a long time as well, maybe she doesn't complete the D Project. Maybe she does make the connection between Page and Darrow both being Illuminati, maybe she doesn't...

I don't believe Megan is cold-hearted evil though, I mean she was genuinely shocked when Darrow pulled the switch and created the crazy zombies. And she also felt guilty about using Adam's DNA without his consent.

PugPug
15th Sep 2011, 19:06
I read "esoterica" as "erotica" and became very disappointed.

Krios
15th Sep 2011, 19:41
Keep in mind that neither of these things make Reed a good person, or less of an evil conspirator - they make her an evil conspirator who may be in love with Adam Jensen, and nothing more.

I recommend to read in this thread:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1673782#post1673782

After my first playthrough I also had the feeling that Megan is a conspirator, but I have changed my mind. She is not.

There is undeniable proof that the kidnapping was real.
Quote:

"There is a PDA message in Zhao Yun Ru's safe in her office from "BP", Singapore, I am quite sure it is Bob Page. It says that the kidnapped researchers were very "feisty" at first but the incommunicado detention was the key to change them, especially the leading scientist aka Megan. Think of this strange white room in which Megan was found. An evil little mind game they played with her.

That is also a proof that Megan was not in the conspiracy or "evil" from the beginning, besides the intro ("she is out of our reach...".)

But this Message from Bob Page is a proof of his involvement in the kidnapping of Megan. If Adam had the possibility to show her the message, I don't think she would have ended working for him."

Sulix
15th Sep 2011, 20:33
I recommend to read in this thread:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1673782#post1673782

After my first playthrough I also had the feeling that Megan is a conspirator, but I have changed my mind. She is not.

There is undeniable proof that the kidnapping was real.
Quote:

"There is a PDA message in Zhao Yun Ru's safe in her office from "BP", Singapore, I am quite sure it is Bob Page. It says that the kidnapped researchers were very "feisty" at first but the incommunicado detention was the key to change them, especially the leading scientist aka Megan. Think of this strange white room in which Megan was found. An evil little mind game they played with her.

That is also a proof that Megan was not in the conspiracy or "evil" from the beginning, besides the intro ("she is out of our reach...".)

But this Message from Bob Page is a proof of his involvement in the kidnapping of Megan. If Adam had the possibility to show her the message, I don't think she would have ended working for him."

Yeah, I read that e-mail today again, and these were exactly my thoughts, although Bob still could be playing around with Zhao.

Also, using Adams past to establish a security backdoor at Sarif HQ is not only a bit of a stretch, but also rather lucky/unplaned, which isn't the kind of intervention one would expect from the Illuminati.

It's an interessting thesis though, well thought through and plausible. Personally I'm not of the same opinion though, I'll stick to the "Misguided-Megan" faction, for reasons I'm too tired to explain right now, sry :)

deviataz
15th Sep 2011, 21:35
Megan's an interesting character, love the verbal quality with which you've written your post!

rokstrombo
16th Sep 2011, 11:41
During their relationship, Reed collected a sample of Adam's DNA (!?!??!) and used it as a testbed for her human enhancement research, and it proved more than fruitful - it is the direct reason Sarif Industries' breakthrough in 'controlled evolution' occurred in the first place. Why Reed would 'randomly' use her own boyfriend's DNA for testing without his knowledge or consent is left to the audience, and I think it's obvious; she knew Jensen's 'special properties' because she was informed of them by Hugh Darrow, and did not date him as a coincidence - it was specifically to collect a sample of his DNA.

Despite her ex-boyfriend's firing (he says he quit) by DPD's SWAT division, Reed suggested David Sarif hire him as a security consultant, which Sarif agreed to. Reed herself also suggested that Sarif, wary of the attention Jensen had attracted, perform a background check on him to assuage his fears. I don't think she expected Brent Radford to be so effective at uncovering Jensen's ties to White Helix and VersaLife (and therefore Bob Page), but I do think she had another plan at work here; to open an unsafe data portal via the backdoor that Sarif himself introduces to his security network, allowing Reed to communicate to Darrow and Belltower and thereby compromise Pritchard and Jensen's surprisingly effective security measures.

Interesting post! Does it specify in the game how Reed came across Adam's DNA? I was suspicious about this initially, but does the possibility that Sarif directed Reed to use Adam's DNA based on the information uncovered by Radford fit into the plot's timeline?

During the introduction, Bob Page says "by going public with the discovery, Sarif is forcing our hand". If the conspirators had identified Adam, why allow Sarif Industries to direct research into bio-compatible augmentations in the first place? Wouldn't it be safer for Reed to develop this technology secretly at Omega Ranch rather than at Sarif Industries?

Also, is it confirmed in the game that the Special Ops guys are related to Belltower?

sadmachine
16th Sep 2011, 12:00
During the introduction, Bob Page says "by going public with the discovery, Sarif is forcing our hand". If the conspirators had identified Adam, why allow Sarif Industries to direct research into bio-compatible augmentations in the first place? Wouldn't it be safer for Reed to develop this technology secretly at Omega Ranch rather than at Sarif Industries?

And if they knew Adam was Patient X, why not take him when they took the scientists?

imported_BoB_
16th Sep 2011, 13:04
Why capture Adam when you can have the research that has been done on him. They don't need him.
And Bob Page doesn't want to expose himself, he is probably the only one that understands what Megan's research means, because Adam was created/modified at Versalife.

(subject already discussed multiple times in other thread so I'm not gonna develop the full story again)

sadmachine
16th Sep 2011, 13:47
But if they don't need him then why is Darrow sending goons out to get information out of Radford? I'm not trying to make or tear down any kind of case, I'm just trying to make sense of the whole mess.

Spyhopping
16th Sep 2011, 13:48
As much as I relish Megan's unexpected cold behaviour when her and Adam are reunited, it seemed that there was a complete flop with character development in general after their meeting in Singapore.

On reading your article I feel differently, and it has me interested again. Poor Adam. I don't have much more to add on this, but it was a really interesting read, thank you. I hope you stick around.

Kyithios
16th Sep 2011, 15:25
But if they don't need him then why is Darrow sending goons out to get information out of Radford? I'm not trying to make or tear down any kind of case, I'm just trying to make sense of the whole mess.

To hide the truth from Adam, of course. If you go along through the mission, remember how slightly emotional Adam gets during his talk with the old lady.

ilweran
16th Sep 2011, 18:06
Interesting post! Does it specify in the game how Reed came across Adam's DNA? I was suspicious about this initially, but does the possibility that Sarif directed Reed to use Adam's DNA based on the information uncovered by Radford fit into the plot's timeline?

Doesn't it say somewhere (the LIMB clinic?) that Adam heals unusually quickly? An innocent explanation could be that Megan noticed this and was curious.

And if they knew Adam was Patient X, why not take him when they took the scientists?

I've been wondering if one of their objectives was to kill Adam. I'd assume after their experiment was successful VersaLife would have kept cell samples or whatever that could be cloned for further research, and given how important the breakthrough was they wouldn't have all been kept at the White Helix site. In which case they wouldn't need Adam and the easiest way to keep him away from non-cooperative researchers would be to kill him.

To cover up what happened, get rid of witnesses? It doesn't sound like the sort of thing the Illuminati would want made public

sny
16th Sep 2011, 19:52
Interesting theory, although I'm inclined to agree with Thats_unpossible, simply because scientists are usually very gullible and Megan seems to earnestly care for AJ in all of the cutscenes where we see them together. I too think she was oblivious to the grander scheme, only caring for her breakthrough discovery the entire time, even when accepting Bob Page's job offer.

Anyway, I just wanted to add that there's proof in-game that the Mexicantown incident took place in 2025, both from a Picus network newspaper found at Sarif HQ after completing the first mission and from Jensen's conversation with Wayne Haas. The policeman explicitly states how the events from two years ago still haunt him.

Tecman
16th Sep 2011, 20:18
Megan didn't know about Adam's genetics beforehand. Her character bio in the official guide claims she was "leading an important research project at the time and, in a moment of desperation, used Jensen's genetic material without his knowledge to complete it. In the process she discovered that Jensen was a genetic anomaly and became so focused on studying his genes that ultimately, she lost sight of their relationship". It also says that "she's angered by his rejection and troubled at having stolen his DNA" and that she's tried to come clean a couple of times.

Here's another bit about Megan from there, paraphrased: Why did Adam and Megan break up? She wanted to finish her doctorate and wanted to have a career. He wanted to start a family. She got sick of worrying about him when he was in SWAT, he got tired of her not talking much (and being too obsessed with her research). Adam suggested they split. She reluctantly agreed. It was a four year long relationship, and her bio claims that the game starts "several years after their breakup".

Also, I don't think the conspirators knew, or cared, where the genetic material she had been working on came from, they only knew what the "grand discovery" was going to be and that should it be revealed, it would seriously hinder their plans. It's not in the Illuminati's interest to *absolutely must* have the "omni-aug-acceptance" genetic material (that's not to say that, if they'd have known, they wouldn't care at all about it), instead they needed Megan to work on the chip AND at the same time block Sarif from being able to open up augmentation to everyone, removing the need for the expensive NuPoz. The only thing I see the Illuminati gaining from actually having Adam's genetic material would be to allow their own to be able to augment themselves more safely, but it wouldn't make sense for them to, say, allow "their" armed forces access to it - it makes more sense to make them remain slaves to NuPoz. Originally they tried to get Sarif to "join the club" (proof of this is on Athene's computer), but he was too thickheaded and too much of an idealist, actually believeing in what he preached, so with the upcoming reveal and the alternative, more political solutions seeming too vague and too late, they had to act quickly.

rokstrombo
17th Sep 2011, 10:38
Megan didn't know about Adam's genetics beforehand. Her character bio in the official guide claims she was "leading an important research project at the time and, in a moment of desperation, used Jensen's genetic material without his knowledge to complete it. In the process she discovered that Jensen was a genetic anomaly and became so focused on studying his genes that ultimately, she lost sight of their relationship". It also says that "she's angered by his rejection and troubled at having stolen his DNA" and that she's tried to come clean a couple of times.

That's interesting! It was difficult to imagine Megan's reasons for stealing Adam's DNA from playing the game. I thought the background about the fire at the White Helix labs and the investigation uncovering Adam's engineered genetics may have been what pointed Megan to examine Adam's DNA (given that Sarif was aware of it), but it seemed unlikely that her research would progress so rapidly if that were the case.

Also, I don't think the conspirators knew, or cared, where the genetic material she had been working on came from, they only knew what the "grand discovery" was going to be and that should it be revealed, it would seriously hinder their plans. It's not in the Illuminati's interest to *absolutely must* have the "omni-aug-acceptance" genetic material (that's not to say that, if they'd have known, they wouldn't care at all about it), instead they needed Megan to work on the chip AND at the same time block Sarif from being able to open up augmentation to everyone, removing the need for the expensive NuPoz. The only thing I see the Illuminati gaining from actually having Adam's genetic material would be to allow their own to be able to augment themselves more safely, but it wouldn't make sense for them to, say, allow "their" armed forces access to it - it makes more sense to make them remain slaves to NuPoz. Originally they tried to get Sarif to "join the club" (proof of this is on Athene's computer), but he was too thickheaded and too much of an idealist, actually believeing in what he preached, so with the upcoming reveal and the alternative, more political solutions seeming too vague and too late, they had to act quickly.

What was the conspirators' interest in developing the chip? Obviously Darrow, Taggart and Zhao had their own agendas, but I didn't understand why the chip was so important collectively.

Was it Darrow who sent the goons to get into Radford's safe? Presumably this was related to Sarif's fear over an investigation into White Helix labs. If Adam's DNA was the product of these labs, then why aren't the conspirators interested in Adam's genetics?

Thanks!

Krankor
17th Sep 2011, 14:20

Not likely, you are overestimating the depth of the plot and the writers at this point (it felt REALLY cheap that at this point of the ending all we got was a voice-over and stock footage / photos)... At this point with the ending everything is obvious, I assume that Meagan Reed is just 'using' Page's resources to further her research and eventually and screw him further down the road.

gwlaw99
17th Sep 2011, 17:00
Why did it take her 4 years to get DNA? She could have got it from some hair.

ilweran
17th Sep 2011, 17:24
Was it Darrow who sent the goons to get into Radford's safe? Presumably this was related to Sarif's fear over an investigation into White Helix labs. If Adam's DNA was the product of these labs, then why aren't the conspirators interested in Adam's genetics?

I thought they must have already had it from the White Helix labs, but have just restarted the game and the 'She's found it, the gene sequence we need' rules that out. Which presumably means her research was enough and they didn't need anything else.

I still think it's most likely she took the DNA sample initially because she noticed Adams faster than normal healing, or unusual healthiness. That doesn't contradict the 'moment of desperation' in the official guide, in fact I think it fits quite well.

Sid_Loman
17th Sep 2011, 17:59
Interesting read. I disagree that Megan was conspirator all along, but I highly agree she is the type of person who puts their own research above all others.

Two things
1) You are underestimating her attack on Namir during the kidnapping. Why would she intervene at all, if she was merely extracted? They were no witnesess, every record was destroyed. Yes, Adam survived, but that definitely wasn't planned. No reason whatsoever to fake some attack on Namir. She was genuinely trying to save Adam there, by the most effective way she could come with at that moment.

2) On the other hand, I don't think we can assume anything from her saving Adam from the effect of new biochip. If Adam went berserk, he would paint the white room red with her blood. She could be (again) genuinely trying to save Adam, but she could be also merely trying to save her own life.

You also got interesting point with her possibly having the CASIE aug (and degree in psychology). But it leads me to another conclusion. She was playing Namir, not necessarily Adam. She faked affection to Namir, for all imaginable benefits it may bring to her (and her colleagues by extension).

thedfo
18th Sep 2011, 02:20
Personally, I think that, at most, she was an unwitting dupe, at best just in the wrong place (Sarif, who told everything to Darrow and through him to the Illuminati) at the wrong time (when she figured out how to do exactly what they wanted to do, but couldn't, and was going to do exactly what they didn't want done with it).

That said, I think there is another thing that describes her behavior post kidnapping - Stockholm Syndrome. Especially with being able to talk to Darrow. Some of the other scientists where kinda on the way to this (one of them says "but we were told Sarif gave up on us").