PDA

View Full Version : Word of advice...

CommanderShephard
14th Sep 2011, 16:30
Word of advice if you haven't yet started the game. All your initial augments should be COMBAT augments because ultimately this boils down to killing the bosses. If you can't kill the bosses, you can't continue playing the game. The brainy augments are useless against any of the bosses who are themselves optimized purely for COMBAT. I made the mistake of augmenting my character for stealth and hacks, and now I'm stuck in with a boss I can't kill no matter how many times I try it. My character is simply too weak and slow. The game is shot for me. I'm done. Hope you have better luck than I did (and make better choices). Back to Total War while I wait on BF3. Seriously, this is good advice. Be afraid, be very afraid.

unbeatableDX
14th Sep 2011, 16:31
lol you fail. run along now back to mass effect

Kodaemon
14th Sep 2011, 16:44
Horrible they might be, the boss fights are completely doable without any combat-oriented augs. I should know, I built a stealthy hacker who doesn't use any lethal weapons.

Ashpolt
14th Sep 2011, 16:45
First time I beat the game, I did so with only non-lethal weapons (plus a pistol) and no typhoon. I only got the dermal shielding later on, after I'd already beaten Barrett and Fedorova.

So, no, you don't need the combat augs to beat the bosses, or in general.

Quillan
14th Sep 2011, 16:53
There's plenty of stuff to do in Detroit before you ever meet the first boss. In my second playthrough, I think I had 14-16 Praxis before I ever left to go to Highland Park, and got another 1-2 points before hitting the boss fight. You've got lots of time to get combat augmentations if you want them.

handgriffsorgfaeltig
14th Sep 2011, 17:03
... I'm stuck in with a boss I can't kill no matter how many times I try it. My character is simply too weak and slow. The game is shot for me. I'm done...

multiple ways to end the boss-fights...many posts of helping hints in this forum...some people have real problems...

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrdbjgB0rY1r0o12to1_500.jpg

imported_BoB_
14th Sep 2011, 17:41
I think that you can even do a complete playthrough without any inventory so...

I'm gonna try it soon to confirm this but I'm waiting for a possible patch that would allow console player to have 99 slots I hope because I don't want to overwrite the save of my first playthrough and I used only two slots for my second playthrough.

Daedatheus
14th Sep 2011, 17:51
I made the mistake of augmenting my character for stealth and hacks, and now I'm stuck in with a boss I can't kill no matter how many times I try it.

Are you stuck on Barrett, the first boss?

When the battle begins, go behind the first pillar to your right. Turn around, grab a gas barrel. Throw it at him, it will explode and stun him. Throw the other gas barrel at him. Now run from pillar to pillar, noticing the red explosive barrels around the room. Grab these and throw them at him. Just keep running around the room doing this and he will die in no time. The battle will take less than a minute. Once he's dead, you can scour the room for weapons and ammo (which you can use instead if you'd prefer, and weren't packing any real weaponry when you entered the room).

Problem solved, now go play the game and forget about that linear military shooter you mentioned coming out later this year. The only thing it has over Deus Ex is graphics.

sadmachine
14th Sep 2011, 17:51
My first playthrough the bosses had me on the verge of controller-smashing, but if you slow your roll and explore the arena you're locked in you'll find everything you need to crush your enemy, see them driven before you, etc. The bosses all have certain attack patterns; learn them. Second playthrough I've taken zero combat augs and used nothing but a stun gun and a silenced pistol and haven't found an obstacle I couldn't get through or around.

Bradrakh
14th Sep 2011, 18:02
Yeah, the first boss battle was pretty tough the first time. I think I died about 6-8 times because I'm a stealthy non-lethal hacker. My saving grace was my emp nades and the gas/explosive barrels. Although my next playthrough I might grind exp and get a fully upgraded typhoon and screw him up.

CommanderShephard
14th Sep 2011, 18:14

When the battle begins, go behind the first pillar to your right. Turn around, grab a gas barrel. Throw it at him, it will explode and stun him. Throw the other gas barrel at him. Now run from pillar to pillar, noticing the red explosive barrels around the room. Grab these and throw them at him. Just keep running around the room doing this and he will die in no time. The battle will take less than a minute. Once he's dead, you can scour the room for weapons and ammo (which you can use instead if you'd prefer, and weren't packing any real weaponry when you entered the room).

Problem solved, now go play the game and forget about that linear military shooter you mentioned coming out later this year. The only thing it has over Deus Ex is graphics.

I'm stuck on Yelena. Barrett I could easily handle because all the weapons I needed were those barrels, plus he wasso slow and VISIBLE. Yelena is invisible and way faster than I am, I have no Typhoon, and my armour is nonexistent, so one hit from her kills me.

Kodaemon
14th Sep 2011, 18:26
There are weapons lockers in the boss fight room. They're kind of easy to miss. Here's some pointers: if you have a stun gun, the first thing to do when the battle starts is to stun her. If not, evade her attack (once she starts charging at you, she will not change direction). In any case, search the lockers. There's a stun gun, darts, mines etc. The key is to stun her, then attack, throwing a mine is a good idea. Once she recovers, she will likely go invisible, run and hide for a while. You can either try and pursue her, or wait until she charges at you again (Eliza will warn you). Again, stun, attack, etc.

bucyrus5000
14th Sep 2011, 18:43
lol you fail. run along now back to mass effect

lol, so true, no one who plays DXHR would ever buy, play, or enjoy ME games. Obviously we made a choice, Deus Ex or Mass Effect. I for one murder anyone who has ever said they played Mass Effect.:nut:

Get real dude! We all play all the games we can get our hands on. Flaming a person for liking ME is so passe. I mean, GTFO if you are going to be an antigamer, we really have no time for reading flame posts UnbeatableDX.

OP is right that the safest course of action is to get certain combat augs first, but in practice I would get hack augs first just to have the easiest time hacking, but that is me. My current playthrough, I have every aug and am at 2nd Hengsha. Kind of bored with the game now though.

CommanderShephard
14th Sep 2011, 18:50
I'll see if I can find some more weaponry in those lockers. The heavy rifle I'm using is ineffective at long range, and getting closer to her only exposes me to her killing shot.

Daedatheus
14th Sep 2011, 18:53
I'll see if I can find some more weaponry in those lockers. The heavy rifle I'm using is ineffective at long range, and getting closer to her only exposes me to her killing shot.

Honestly I fought her by running right up to her, unloading the heavy rifle in her face, while tapping the painkiller button every 2 seconds. :)

What a stupid part of the game.

Fluffis
14th Sep 2011, 18:55

Grenades and mines... Concussion, Gas, EMP, Frag... they are all effective. Mines may be slightly more effective, tbh, since she's so damn fast. Once she's stunned, just go to town on her head, with your weapon of choice. Then follow her around, as much as possible, and blast her. The key moment is the very start of the fight. Run to the side (she goes straight ahead to where you were), and toss a mine/grenade (pref. EMP) while backing off a bit more. Then blast her, rince, repeat.

DanB2644
14th Sep 2011, 18:57
or you can look here:

Zero Takedown Ghost - Full Stealth Video Tutorial (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=120522)

Herbert Dashwood
14th Sep 2011, 18:57
All you need are mines and grenades. Or the grenade launcher.

Romeo
14th Sep 2011, 18:59
I'm stuck on Yelena. Barrett I could easily handle because all the weapons I needed were those barrels, plus he wasso slow and VISIBLE. Yelena is invisible and way faster than I am, I have no Typhoon, and my armour is nonexistent, so one hit from her kills me.
Your best bet with Yelena is to avoid shooting at her at all. If you bait her in towards the power towers (Tee hee, a rhyme!) when she charges, you can sprint quick enough to avoid her Typhoon. When the tower explodes, begin jumping continuously (You're trying to avoid the floor as much as possible) until the power stops. You'll now have very little health. Wait for it to charge, and then repeat the cycle on all four towers. She can be killed with zero augs, and zero weapons. I know, because I did it that way on Deus Ex difficulty.

Fluffis
14th Sep 2011, 19:11
Your best bet with Yelena is to avoid shooting at her at all. If you bait her in towards the power towers (Tee hee, a rhyme!) when she charges, you can sprint quick enough to avoid her Typhoon. When the tower explodes, begin jumping continuously (You're trying to avoid the floor as much as possible) until the power stops. You'll now have very little health. Wait for it to charge, and then repeat the cycle on all four towers. She can be killed with zero augs, and zero weapons. I know, because I did it that way on Deus Ex difficulty.

Yes, of course you can use the Tower of... eh... *cough*

Never mind. :o

Jibbajabba
14th Sep 2011, 19:14

Same here, plus there are mines in the locker, simply place them in front of the generator run once she sprints towards you, done :)

Unless you aim for all achievements, you can even change the difficulty before the boss fight.

Romeo
14th Sep 2011, 19:18
Yes, of course you can use the Tower of... eh... *cough*

Never mind. :o
You dork. lol

Upon entering the Hive I seriously went upstairs and talked to everyone hoping for one of them to say, "I spilled my drink!"
Wrong thread, bud.

Same here, plus there are mines in the locker, simply place them in front of the generator run once she sprints towards you, done :)

Unless you aim for all achievements, you can even change the difficulty before the boss fight.
That's true. The only issue I ran in to with the lockers is having her sneak up on me (With your head buried in the locker, it's impossible to see where she is, and the splashes aren't accurate enough to pick out where she is).

Changing the difficulty seems like a good option for those who are getting frustrated. I couldn't bring myself to do it, mind you. I would've felt like I hadn't earned that win.

PugPug
14th Sep 2011, 19:19

That works. What I did was hide behind cover and wait for his heavy rifle to overheat. When it did, I would pop out and empty a clip from my combat rifle into him. It took awhile, but he went down like that.

PugPug
14th Sep 2011, 19:22
Wrong thread, bud.

Yes. I had to delete the post twice for it to "take."

Jibbajabba
14th Sep 2011, 19:25
Changing the difficulty seems like a good option for those who are getting frustrated. I couldn't bring myself to do it, mind you. I would've felt like I hadn't earned that win.

True, I played it through three times and only the last run was on 'easy' because I got bored but wanted the damn last trophies (Doctorate / Foxiest of Hounds). First two attempts were all on Deus Ex even though I got the Legend achievement on the first go ... I normally always play on hardest difficulty to simply make the game 'longer'. Annoying when you have games where the hardest difficulty is disabled until you finish the games in easier ones (Gears of War).

On a side note - I wish there would be a way to find out how many hours I played in total (PS3) :(

Spyhopping
14th Sep 2011, 19:29
I juuust about managed the bosses with minimal combat upgrades or carrying around beefy weaponry on "give me DX". I grabbed whatever there was to hand in the "boss fight cage" or an earlier save in the environment just before. Each of them (apart from the last- it was fairly easy going) was a complete pain in the ass though. Only times I turned off the game due to pure boredom.

Romeo
14th Sep 2011, 19:30
True, I played it through three times and only the last run was on 'easy' because I got bored but wanted the damn last trophies (Doctorate / Foxiest of Hounds). First two attempts were all on Deus Ex even though I got the Legend achievement on the first go ... I normally always play on hardest difficulty to simply make the game 'longer'. Annoying when you have games where the hardest difficulty is disabled until you finish the games in easier ones (Gears of War).

On a side note - I wish there would be a way to find out how many hours I played in total (PS3) :(
They all suffer the same fault (Checking time-spent). I've also noticed on the 360 there's no way to delete save-games in the game itself, I have to head to the root menu in the 360, find all information pertaining to Deus Ex, and then find the save game there. Somewhat frustrating.

I normally just do hardest because it seems like the most rewarding, but the lengthier play time is another bonus I hadn't considered. And I sometimes find the "hard unlock" annoying (The latest Deathspank, for example, is hilarious and fun your first time around, but is the exact same game the second time around on "Insanity"). Other times I don't mind it at all (Unlocking both the "Hardcore" and "Insanity" modes in the first Mass Effect was fun to me, because it gave my subsequent playthroughs another factor to contend with).

ShakinJ
14th Sep 2011, 19:37
I hit her with the P.E.P.S. and she was stunned long enough to kill her...

frudi
14th Sep 2011, 19:41
All the bosses are trivially easy to kill, even on highest difficulty and without upgrading a single augment. All it takes is the right weapon. Which is pretty much frag grenades or some analog - exploding barrels, remote explosives, grenade launcher, typhoon :). The second one can also be easily killed with the stun gun - it stun-locks the boss which then takes about 15 headshots to kill.

daemonjax
14th Sep 2011, 19:42
Word of advice if you haven't yet started the game. All your initial augments should be COMBAT augments because ultimately this boils down to killing the bosses. If you can't kill the bosses, you can't continue playing the game. The brainy augments are useless against any of the bosses who are themselves optimized purely for COMBAT. I made the mistake of augmenting my character for stealth and hacks, and now I'm stuck in with a boss I can't kill no matter how many times I try it. My character is simply too weak and slow. The game is shot for me. I'm done. Hope you have better luck than I did (and make better choices). Back to Total War while I wait on BF3. Seriously, this is good advice. Be afraid, be very afraid.

I completely disagree. The first augments I get are all the ones that aid in exploration. The boss fights aren't hard enough to warrant choosing augments for them, unless doing that is more fun for you.

CommanderShephard
15th Sep 2011, 02:04
Finally got the bytch. Used a shotgun and heavy rifle. What a nightmare.

Kodaemon
15th Sep 2011, 06:47
Fortunately, the two last bosses are the easiest ones.

For the next one, I recommend turret domination and heavy lifting. For the last one, take the laser rifle.

Those two fights will be over in seconds, without you having to break a sweat.

chabbles
15th Sep 2011, 06:55
lol @ op, your saying to focus all your augmentations on the 10 to 20 minutes you spend fighting the bosses, and miss out on all the other good stuff ?,
u didnt play the game rite.... then again i guess u can play the game any way u want, but all u need for everyboss is the revolver with explosive add-on and a couple of damage upgrades and your good.
for the first boss u might not have a revolver with upgrades, so just pick up the rocket launcher right before the first boss, 4 direct hits and less then 20 seconds in and hes dead......

unbeatableDX
15th Sep 2011, 07:01
you dont need anything for the bosses. all you need is already in each of the boss rooms themselves.
such FAIL

Cronicler
15th Sep 2011, 13:45
There are many way to play this game but tbh, if you manage to keep your cool and analyse the situation, the Tyrant Mercs are actually quite easy.

A Stun-Gun and a stack of Darts (21 darts in total) or a loaded Stun-Gun and 5 Frag/Gas mines are all you need for a fight: Stun the target and start emptying stun darts to his head (it takes about 15 darts) or you can stun him and then spam 5 mines for an instant-kill.
You can even collect these weapons in the areas leading to the boss-fights so you don't even need to carry them with you (sell the stun-gun when you return to hub).

Then there are the environmental strategies; throw the barrels and canisters at fist fight, destroy generators in second fight, use the after jump moment for a take-down or bring a turret...

Being a sneaky hacker does not stop you from carrying some SHTF gear in the form of some grenades, a silenced AR, some mines...