PDA

View Full Version : Just a Thought....

GoggleboxUK
14th Sep 2011, 00:41
My PlayStation3 is an awesome bit of kit.

I play games on it, I watch TV that I've missed, I catch up on demos and trailers and I listen to music.

Recently I have downloaded the original PS1 game and a thought just hit me.

If the PS3 can read the code to allow me to play the original 5 games and it can also read my audio cds then why won't it let me play my original PS1 games?

Similarly, I can download PS2 games and watch DVD content but not play PS2 games.

Anyone know why not? Could a software update enable complete reverse compatibility on my PS3? If it were possible that's definitely something I'd pay to download and install instead of having both PS3 and PS2 consoles wired up.

WinterSoldierLTE
14th Sep 2011, 00:53
Because Sony for SOME reason decided to only make a select few PS3's backwards compatable. My guess would be so they could still ship PS2 units, but I could be wrong. Maybe they honestly just thought "Well, it's a new console. No one will want to play the old stuff anymore", but the virtual console works against that. I can't remember which PS3 is backwards compatable. 80 gig? Am I right on that anyone?

GoggleboxUK
14th Sep 2011, 02:57
I just Googled to try and find out which model was backwardly compatible and found this on Wikipedia:

All models support software emulation of the original PlayStation,but support for PlayStation 2 backward compatibility has continually diminished with later models and the last model to advertise integrated backward compatibility was the 80GB Metal Gear Solid 4 Bundle. Compatibility issues with games for both systems are detailed in a public database hosted by the manufacturer

NO WAY!! I'm well happy!

I didn't realise I could play PS1 games on my machine. Just been to test it out and I can play TR2 and Spiderman, not checked any others yet. I can use the left analogue to move as well, what a result!!

naraku
14th Sep 2011, 06:22
It's the 60gig PS3 that is worth the $$$. My 80gig one plays ps2 games but some of them slower than on a PS2, as for PS1 games, I tried to play Tomb Raider(#1) 30 seconds into gameplay it froze. What I'd like to know, is why can I create a virtual PS1 memory card slot but can't either save or load? I think it prompted about needing an adapter and a memory card.

Driber
30th Sep 2011, 15:30
They indeed figured no one will be playing PS2 games anymore.

To play a PS2 game, the console needs the "emotion chip". The old models had this inside, but the more recent models of the PS3 don't have those chips anymore so that they could cut down on the cost of making the hardware and lower the prices.

I wouldn't advice trying to hunt down an old PS3 model that still has this chip. Better to just buy a (second hand) PS2 to play PS2 games.

GoggleboxUK
30th Sep 2011, 20:35
They indeed figured no one will be playing PS2 games anymore.

To play a PS2 game, the console needs the "emotion chip". The old models had this inside, but the more recent models of the PS3 don't have those chips anymore so that they could cut down on the cost of making the hardware and lower the prices.

I wouldn't advice trying to hunt down an old PS3 model that still has this chip. Better to just buy a (second hand) PS2 to play PS2 games.

Exactly what I've done Driber :D

Now not only do I have TR Trilogy of PS3 I also have the PS trilogy for TR 1-8,

I got a PS2 for £15 and AoD for £1.50 from WeBuy.com and a very cheap PSOne with LCD screen from ebay so I can play TRII on the move.

a_big_house
30th Sep 2011, 21:14
The older model of PS3 looked better too...

WinterSoldierLTE
1st Oct 2011, 00:36
Yeah they looked better, but man, what a pain to keep clean. Mind you I don't have one myself, I usually borrow a friend of mines and he and I split the difference between games that I want to play, but I probably spend more time sweeping dust off of it then actually playing it when I have it. And my house is by no means a filthy place, trust me. I think they're just designed to be a dust magnet. Impressive machine tho. But, I've had my Genesis since '91 and that badboy still fires up every time w/o a hitch, so that's still my vote for "Best Console Ever".

Driber
1st Oct 2011, 08:00
Exactly what I've done Driber :D

Now not only do I have TR Trilogy of PS3 I also have the PS trilogy for TR 1-8,

I got a PS2 for £15 and AoD for £1.50 from WeBuy.com and a very cheap PSOne with LCD screen from ebay so I can play TRII on the move.

I'm actually not a fan of the classic TR games on PS1. The PS1 hardware lacks support for Bilinear filtering, which I think is a must.

The old TR games looked too blocky when textures are zoomed in. Playing them on a PC and using Bilinear filtering makes soooo much difference to the whole feel of the games.

The older model of PS3 looked better too...

Yeah and uses like 3 times more energy. Save the environment (and your wallet) and get a slim!

a_big_house
1st Oct 2011, 15:33
/\ I'm not getting one :D I'm happy with my Xbox...