PDA

View Full Version : I broke the game

exmachinad
11th Sep 2011, 22:43
So I was trying to find creative ways out of the game situations outside the paths the game often non subtly telegraphs to the player, and I stumbled upon a place in Heng Sha, just before the "a few days later" trip, where I thoguht I could jump over a fence in the roof to pass all the guards.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6186/6137665823_a06c0bb384_z.jpg

So I manage to threw the big crate to the uper level (with the "strenght" aug or whatever it is called) ...

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6075/6138211558_04f55f2e46_z.jpg

Put it near the place in the fence I was quite sure I could jump...

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6203/6138212142_242a9bbb1c_z.jpg

Tried to jump over it with the jump aug... and nothing! A invisible wall blocking the way!

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6178/6138212582_06f0932272_z.jpg

Unless I'm kinda retarded and not seeing what exactly I should do to jump it, I guess it classifies as "breaking the game", since looking at the augs I had, the crate, and the height of the fence, I was certain I would be able to jump over it. If only that fence was a bit higher, I would say the devs thought of that, and made it high so no player would try to go pass it.

All in all, I shouldn't be surprised, since the game never tries to be an "immersive simulator" (that elusive term). The game seems quite happy to be a "muti path" one. The "multi paths" strictly chosen by the devs. Which is not bad at all, but I can't help think that it could have been so much more in a game released in our day and age.

Pinky_Powers
11th Sep 2011, 23:00
Yeah, it's always a huge disappointment to find an invisible wall in a game like this. There are a few, though.

I don't agree with your assertion that this qualifies as "breaking the game", however. This is merely finding a limitation. If you had been able to jump that fence, and fell off into some sort of inter-dimensional void from which there is no return... that would be considered "breaking the game."

imported_BoB_
12th Sep 2011, 01:54
In some places, you can even throw things on, but when you try to go there, you can't :D

unbeatableDX
12th Sep 2011, 01:57
there is hundereds of invisible walls in this game. not very DX at all.

deus ex 1
deus ex 2 invisible war
deus ex 3 invisible walls

unbeatableDX
12th Sep 2011, 02:07
another incredible thing about dx1 was, that if you manged to get outta the map, the devs even put boxes and ladders for you to get back in!

rokstrombo
12th Sep 2011, 04:57
I've found quite a lot of invisible walls in Human Revolution, and may have been just as many in Deus Ex as well.

I also think the decision to make the Jump augmentation automatically activated was a mistake. The game tries to predict what you are trying to climb but it is frequently wrong.

Enemy242
12th Sep 2011, 05:55
that's not breaking the game, there's no reason for you to go over there as it wouldn't take you anywhere near the area you'd need to go and thus they didn't model it into the level, simple as that. many games have invisible walls to block off the constraints of the level, and complaining about that simply isn't fair considering all levels have boundaries of some sort be it a body of water, an invisible wall, mountains etc. i figured it was pretty obvious that you weren't supposed to jump over there considering how the map is; i mean honestly thinking that is "breaking the game" or a shame that you can't go any further is just complaining about the fact that they didn't make an infinitely extending map/floor you fall through to your death/ some gigantic fence just to slap you in the face saying HEY DON'T GO HERE, PAY ATTENTION TO THE GAME COCKWEED.

The only areas the invisible walls actually bother me on are some places like on top of the exit at the sarif plant helipad. I would've liked to see a better view of the city, but I guess considering it's probably just an image it wouldn't look right from up there.

I'd rather have an invisible wall than fall to my death into some magical void and end up having to reload an old save which probably was pretty far back. but of course if that were the case then people would be complaining about the lack of invisible walls and boundaries and how they had to reload their saves or game designers would have to moron proof their game by making all fences 500 feet high or just covered with mountains. that'd be great huh.

unbeatableDX
12th Sep 2011, 06:24
I'd rather have an invisible wall than fall to my death into some magical void and end up having to reload an old save which probably was pretty far back. but of course if that were the case then people would be complaining about the lack of invisible walls and boundaries and how they had to reload their saves or game designers would have to moron proof their game by making all fences 500 feet high or just covered with mountains. that'd be great huh.

1. the game auto saves frequently
2. the casual gamer would never stumble across invisible walls. only those who try to get on crazy high roofs ect would find them. the OP is a perfect example- he only discovered an invisible wall at the port, near the end of the game, when in fact they are everywhere. he only discovered the wall because he was messing around.
3. if you are trying to get outa the map/really high roof, you most likely have already completed the game and want to mess around.
4. invis walls preventing you getting out of the map is not the problem anyway. its the ones that are in the map preventing you doing a simple task, such as the one rindall posted the other day

QFT.

When I think of game-designers trying to make an emergent and reactive game I always imagine them building the level, and then just playing it over and over again asking, "Okay, what possible things could the player want to try to do, and how do I provide/react for/to that?"

7QBS4nfcJvU

Sulix
12th Sep 2011, 07:02
such as the one rindall posted the other day

Wow, that sucks. I tried to jump onto the moving crane thing, but that invisible wall wasn't by far as disturbing as rindill's case. I think invisible walls always are just a last minute resort to avoid issues like an endless fall. Ideally they shouldn't even exist as the problems they stem from should've been fixed already in the design stages. Or at least invisible walls should always feel natural, coexist with the art design.

unbeatableDX
12th Sep 2011, 07:04
Wow, that sucks. I tried to jump onto the moving crane thing, but that invisible wall wasn't by far as disturbing as rindill's case. I think invisible walls always are just a last minute resort to avoid issues like an endless fall. Ideally they shouldn't even exist as the problems they stem from should've been fixed already in the design stages. Or at least invisible walls should always feel natural, coexist with the art design.

i had the exact same issue as rindill on my first playthrough. i like to explore everywhere, but it wouldnt let me :(

VectorM
12th Sep 2011, 07:20
The biggest difference is, actually, that in DX1, the walls would be VISIBLE, so you wouldn't even think you could go to some places, without using cheats.

anunnaki
12th Sep 2011, 07:40
In my first play through I found a spot in china, on a high roof around the hive. it was a stack of stationary boxes with a little wood ramp going up to the 3rd box next to a shack roof. It looks like it was there so I could get up with a box and jump aug but after finaly finding a box after who knows how long I just found that there was an invisible wall there. It's like they put it there to tease you or something.

raz3r
12th Sep 2011, 07:58
LoL I tryed doing the same thing, even in other places like Detroit, didn't work though :(

3nails4you
12th Sep 2011, 16:31
You know, I remember being irritated at this very wall. The objective is actually underneath that area on the other side of that fence, but they want to challenge you by making you either sneak or fight through that big warehouse. I always Icarus shock down in there and tear 'em up, but I still wanted to try sneaking into what's his name's office directly via the roof.

DanB2644
12th Sep 2011, 18:30
anyone find a use for that rooftop the OP is talking about?

Locutus of BORG
12th Sep 2011, 18:42
^It has no use afaik. I refrained from trying to break the glass skylight, as that'd be noisiest way to get in at that point.

Sulix
12th Sep 2011, 22:28
Ok, so today I had a new idea.

I loaded a savegame from lower hengsha, and collected all of the boxes around there and brought them to, what I call, Rindill's impossible challenge. I stacked them accordingly to my plan, just as high so the uppermost crate overtoped the barrier.
Last preparations, a huge grin covers my face as I think about my new technique, which I already named 'Box surfing'. "This is going to be epic, a small step for a box, but a huge step for Adam" (or mankind, if you're more into the philosophical aspect).
Quicksafe. Last checks. I shoot the top box of the tower with a Gatling Gun. "Yes! Box passes invisible wall". I jump onto another two stacked crates which I needed to build the tower. Now I shoot the edge of the crate I'm standing on, and watch as the crate slowly falls forwards while carrying me. "Excellent!".

Quickload.

Ok. All I need to do now is jump onto the topmost ... wait what the f...? There is an invisible wall ABOVE ME? You gotta be kidding me.

Well, after this failure I tried it in other scenarios. In some cases even the crate wouldn't pass an invisible wall, in other ones it wouldn't work because of the artificial height limit. I mean yeah, there still could've been the possibilty that the box passes while Adam gets stuck in the invisible wall, but sometimes programmers simply turn of the collision detection for the sake of playability (just as Adams weight won't affect crates he's standing on), so I had my hopes up.
I'm hugely disappointed, this could have been one of DX:HR's way of simply being Deus Ex.

meev991
13th Sep 2011, 03:08
anyone find a use for that rooftop the OP is talking about?

On my second playthrough I went all-combat. In that warehouse you can trigger a box-guard paradrop if you go in guns blazing. I presume that scripted action prevents one from dropping through there. My best guess is that the box guard spawns from that impassable area.