PDA

View Full Version : Great game, but...

Booze Zombie
11th Sep 2011, 19:43
Hello everyone. I'm a fan of Deus Ex, the original and this newer installment. They're both brilliant games!
But there are two things bothering me about HR and if it's alright, I'd like to say what they are. If not, just press back and enjoy another thread. Okay, if you're reading this part you're probably not going to be bothered by me, let's continue!

My first complaint is about the melee attacks, specifcally that it costs energy to preform the little take-downs.
I understand why it's there (if you could just run up to everyone bashing B the game would be amazingly easy), but the thing is you still run up to everyone bashing B, you just have to wait a minute to do it again or eat some candy.

I think a much more elegant solution would be to have the cutscene attacks only work on unaware/unhostile enemies (to keep the silly pimpslapping Adam is now known for functional) and to have him preform a simple swing of his fist/blade when detected, with the second connecting hit triggering the cutscene knockout/kill as before. Basically, making it a bit harder but not stopping the flow of the game. I know such a thing would be hard to implement now with the game out, but y'know, if it were implemented, I think it'd go pretty awesome.

My second complaint is with the energy system, which was more than likely implemented as it was to curb use of the takedowns and keep the game challenging. But the simple fact of the matter is that it seems almost worthless investing in anything that requires energy when there is a finite supply of energy and once that's gone, a single battery to expend.

It seems to me that having the batteries all recharge, one at a time, would be great, with the snacks allowing you to skip the wait in critical situations.

But all in all, this game is amazing and I love it and not being a game developer of any kind, I realise I might be missing something with my input here, but I thank you for reading regardless.

hazard001
11th Sep 2011, 19:50
The way I used my energy was this:

Most of the time I would only have 1 energy bar and would wait for it to recharge. I kept a stack of 5, 1 little box, energy bars in case there was need to takedown twice in rapid succession. After getting most other augments I wanted, I put into the energy recharge and none in more bars.

I guess I would have used bigger candy and more energy bars if I had the stealth augment. I read it drains a lot.

A bomb
11th Sep 2011, 19:51
So you are basically complaining about gameplay.
I mean gee "it costs energy to preform the little take-downs." then lower it to easy.
If you can not handle that, either grab cheats, play Call of Duty or Mass Effect 2.
It has fast regenerative health and universal ammo.

Or you could just spend money on praxis kits and upgrade yourself which would help your problems.
And alot of cyberenergy bars!

hazard001
11th Sep 2011, 19:56
It seems to me that having the batteries all recharge, one at a time, would be great, with the snacks allowing you to skip the wait in critical situations.

I think they wanted to make sure you had to use bars and such in order to be able to takedown/stealth/use lots of energy quickly. The recharge is only there so you can do the occasional takedown or move heavy objects and such without having to worry about candy bars. But to take down 5 guys, that requires candy.

Personally I wish they made it so the most recently used bar gets recharged. So, if you wait for the battery you just used to recharge, you get to use it. If you takedown again before that though, the bar before the first gets recharged and you have to resort to candy. Would still force you to pace your energy use, but you don't end up running around with 1 bar all the time.

Booze Zombie
11th Sep 2011, 20:06
I mean gee "it costs energy to preform the little take-downs." then lower it to easy.
If you can not handle that, either grab cheats, play Call of Duty or Mass Effect 2.

Or you could just spend money on praxis kits and upgrade yourself which would help your problems.

Oh, I have upgraded and my one battery recharges pretty decently now. Still, waiting 30 seconds when I'd be hitting people around the head with a baton on my own terms in the first game just irks me, I guess.

I think they wanted to make sure you had to use bars and such in order to be able to takedown/stealth/use lots of energy quickly. The recharge is only there so you can do the occasional takedown or move heavy objects and such without having to worry about candy bars. But to take down 5 guys, that requires candy.

Personally I wish they made it so the most recently used bar gets recharged. So, if you wait for the battery you just used to recharge, you get to use it. If you takedown again before that though, the bar before the first gets recharged and you have to resort to candy. Would still force you to pace your energy use, but you don't end up running around with 1 bar all the time.

I guess I'm really not a fan of doing this, then. Because I'd like to just whack some people around the head and move on, it's kind of painful sitting there hoping I don't get spotted whilst Adam's busy showing off.

Hmm.

A bomb
11th Sep 2011, 20:12
Whoa, hold on there fella.
Are you saying me you wait 30 seconds to take someone down?
I don't use take downs regularly, just weapons since the enemy MIGHT NOT SEE YOU?
Take downs are used on single targets ALONE or when they are asleep for fun.
I myself use take downs to wreak havoc if I am around several enemies.

Stick to Mass Effect 2, okay?

Booze Zombie
11th Sep 2011, 20:29
Whoa, hold on there fella.
Are you saying me you wait 30 seconds to take someone down?
I don't use take downs regularly, just weapons since the enemy MIGHT NOT SEE YOU?
Take downs are used on single targets ALONE or when they are asleep for fun.
I myself use take downs to wreak havoc if I am around several enemies.

Stick to Mass Effect 2, okay?

I sneak around using only melee attacks for the most part. Just like how I played the first Deus Ex, in which I'd apply a baton to men and they'd not be dead and I wouldn't be shot.

Non-leathal, full stealth, it's how I like to play. It's how I played in the first Deus Ex and it's how I'm playing in this one.

Wait for the patroling guards to be seperated, knock one out, drag him into a corner, wait for another one to be alone, bash him into a stupor and move on.

Krankor
11th Sep 2011, 20:44
I want the take-down's to be more elaborate or harder to do.

It shouldn't be a '1-shot' deal, it should be a quick time event where you have to hit 3 buttons (randomly from enemy to enemy). This would you to not only set up the take-down, but when you are going through with it you need to hit buttons.

For example; Suppose you do a sleeper hold on an enemy, you should be hitting 'S' on the keyboard as fast as you can, if you're not fast enough, they break free.

The take-down's could get harder depending on whether the enemy is alert or if they are facing you.

A bomb
11th Sep 2011, 20:46
"I sneak around using only melee attacks for the most part. Just like how I played the first Deus Ex, in which I'd apply a baton to men and they'd not be dead and I wouldn't be shot."
This really sounds to me like:
"I sneak around using only bird calls for the most part to trick enemies out. Just like how I played the first Deus Ex, in which I'd apply lubricates ready for insertion into unconscious men and they'd not be dead and I wouldn't be missing my shots which take 30 minutes to regenerate.

Sounds shady.
How about you use the 10mm gun with a silencer?

Booze Zombie
11th Sep 2011, 20:51
How about you use the 10mm gun with a silencer?

No thank you, I prefer my melee focus.

A bomb
11th Sep 2011, 21:11
Enjoy that walking and being unable to be stealthy.
I bet you love open spaces filled with cameras, so don't complain and close this thread.

Booze Zombie
11th Sep 2011, 22:06
Or I could just invest in silent running, that seems to work quite well.

mazuma
11th Sep 2011, 22:45
Heh, i love the takedowns myself and the reflex enhancer wich alows for double takedowns, saved my ass a couple of times aswell as i busted into a room to find two guards right ontop of me .. looks cool aswell when he takes down two guys at once, busting both there heads together or what ever.

Allso makes for some golden moments when one of those purist walks up to you, and you get to punch his lights out because of a "why did you do it? you were beautiful just the way you were" comment : p

I had no issues with the way they use energy atm, but it would be nice though if they could have made it like a sort of mini game once you engage hand to hand - im thinking of the way dancing or fighting was done in GTA for instance. They could/should have made it a bit more interesting i agree.

Notiwo
11th Sep 2011, 23:02
Lol the reaction is a bit excessive, not to mention Mass Effect 2 is a great game and its shooting is quite good.

The current energy system is like the health system, it bets on two horses, no regeneration system AND regeneration system. And nope the result isn't the best of the two worlds, not a surprise hunt two foxes at same time never work well.

I don't agree on that, if you count only on food regenerating energy you would have a huge shortage of energy "ammo". The result is you need not use it much or save a lot "energy ammo" by waiting regeneration.

Not bad overall but not a good system. No regeneration at all would have been a lot different and perhaps better but then the ammo would be difficult to manage for designers.