PDA

View Full Version : So, what to expect from the next Deus Ex? (Spoilers)

WraithBringer
7th Sep 2011, 22:30
Okay, so four different endings, four possibilities and having seen all four, I honestly couldn't choose a path I'd have taken myself. While I want to believe they all survived and worked things out somehow, we won't have proof until the next Deus Ex game. (Unless the DLC provides the answers...)

But I loved what they did with this game, I think I'd like to see Serif, Jensen, Frank and Megan return in another story in the Deus Ex Universe. It doesn't have to be right away, it could be further down the line, but I'm not sure what to expect myself.

What do you think will happen?

Jason Parker
8th Sep 2011, 00:06
I only saw one ending yet and I don't even remember it to the detail because to me it seemed like pretty unrelated (to the game and story) philosophical talk that doesn't realy shed a light on what follows up after Adams decision. I mean sure Eliza is predicting the outcome of the choices but what follows the choice is in no way any confirmation that her prediction realy was accurate (at least as far as I can tell).

This leads me to believe, that originally it was not set in stone from the get go that HR would be multi-ending. Pretty much it would also work as an opener to a two or three-game series with one fixed end being a cliff hanger to the next game. Obvisouly though they weren't confident enough in the commercial succes to ultimately go that way. So they did the multi-ending we now have so the game can also work standalone with no sequel coming.

Seeing the success the game is having though I truely believe the sequel will just ignore all the endings and we will see Adam unravel some more of the conspriacy that Bob Page and MJ 12 are spinning but he'lll obviously fail to realy cross their plans.

Jason Parker
8th Sep 2011, 07:57
Hmm no other thoughts? Or did I nail it?

El_Bel
8th Sep 2011, 10:04
Hmm no other thoughts? Or did I nail it?

Yup you nailed it.

xaduha
8th Sep 2011, 10:13
Yep, I think they just wrapped up because of a deadline.

guillaume.oudin
8th Sep 2011, 10:47
I only saw one ending yet and I don't even remember it to the detail because to me it seemed like pretty unrelated (to the game and story) philosophical talk that doesn't realy shed a light on what follows up after Adams decision. I mean sure Eliza is predicting the outcome of the choices but what follows the choice is in no way any confirmation that her prediction realy was accurate (at least as far as I can tell).

This leads me to believe, that originally it was not set in stone from the get go that HR would be multi-ending. Pretty much it would also work as an opener to a two or three-game series with one fixed end being a cliff hanger to the next game. Obvisouly though they weren't confident enough in the commercial succes to ultimately go that way. So they did the multi-ending we now have so the game can also work standalone with no sequel coming.

Seeing the success the game is having though I truely believe the sequel will just ignore all the endings and we will see Adam unravel some more of the conspriacy that Bob Page and MJ 12 are spinning but he'lll obviously fail to realy cross their plans.

I think you mostly got it right. That's what I've been thinking since I finished the game, it seems pretty obvious to me DXHR clears the way not for DX1 but for another episode between DXHR and DX. Also I agree the endings are mostly irrelevant as far as the main plot/characters are concerned. Like I said somewhere else it feels disconnected from the game and you don't have any feeback on the choices.

Indeed I think the next Deus Ex episode will mostly ignore the ending we chose or, much like DX : Invisible War did, will find some clever synthesis of them. Yes they prolly had to wrap it up so it *could* work standalone, but it's clear the story is paused at this point, rather than ended (unless you pick the 4th option). There are still matters unresolved in the air, the biggest being the relationship with Megan.

Sulix
8th Sep 2011, 11:10
Makes sense to me too, would explain a late plot reorganization and deadline rush as well. :thumb:

Ashpolt
8th Sep 2011, 11:27
They mentioned pretty early on that DXHR would have multiple endings, it's definitely not a last minute addition. That said, I do think the way they were implemented is a result of a rushed job - I imagine they probably originally intended to have different methods of getting the different endings (and possibly better ending sequences as well) but when it came to crunch time, the "4 buttons" method was put in as the easiest way of implementing multiple endings.

If you've got the hardcover strategy guide, there's a Q&A section in the back where they admit that they had to reign in their ambition on Panchea due to time restrictions - they mention that they originally intended for the "crazies" to be less zombie like, and to be more "insane", but they didn't have time to program that. It seems like the endings may have suffered similarly.

Jason Parker
8th Sep 2011, 11:46
They mentioned pretty early on that DXHR would have multiple endings, it's definitely not a last minute addition. That said, I do think the way they were implemented is a result of a rushed job - I imagine they probably originally intended to have different methods of getting the different endings (and possibly better ending sequences as well) but when it came to crunch time, the "4 buttons" method was put in as the easiest way of implementing multiple endings.

If you've got the hardcover strategy guide, there's a Q&A section in the back where they admit that they had to reign in their ambition on Panchea due to time restrictions - they mention that they originally intended for the "crazies" to be less zombie like, and to be more "insane", but they didn't have time to program that. It seems like the endings may have suffered similarly.

Ok so the multi-ending stuff was kinda planned. Still I can't fight the feeling that the main purposes of having multi-endings were to asure the game can work out standalone in case of commercial failure (hence also the post credit scene) and to appease die-hard fans of the original that would have moaned even more about it not being a Deus Ex game if they'd announced there were to be no Multi-Ending in HR.

The Game Industry doesn't make plans for game series spanning across two or three interconnected parts. Which is a shame and was a heavy burden for IW (it was discussed a lot already that making a sequel to a multi-ending story is quite complicated). Planning ahead story- and presentation-wise for a sequel I believe the ending of HR would have come out a lot more consistent.

Whatever the reasons are I still think the endings we got in HR are so vague that a sequel can and will easily ignore them without big discussions arising and will carry on Adams story as he tries to understand Megan and his own past and follows the trails of the Illuminati and Bob Page.

guillaume.oudin
8th Sep 2011, 12:02

I haven't got around to read this section yet. It's interesting they mention that...because I don't see how it is harder to implement animations of "crazies" than it is of "zombies". I am no programmer so it's just a thought.

It is weird however that they had to rush those parts because they mention somewhere in the making-of that the schedule was "more human" than most triple A titles nowadays, giving more times and less pressure on the team. Plus the game release has been pushed back, giving them even more time to polish. I'm just wondering what exactly the reasons are, it can't be just the lack of time...

Ashpolt
8th Sep 2011, 13:25
The Game Industry doesn't make plans for game series spanning across two or three interconnected parts. Which is a shame and was a heavy burden for IW (it was discussed a lot already that making a sequel to a multi-ending story is quite complicated). Planning ahead story- and presentation-wise for a sequel I believe the ending of HR would have come out a lot more consistent.

To be honest, I personally wouldn't have had any problems with them putting in multiple, very different endings and then simply saying that one of them is canon. I'm guessing I'm in the minority with this opinion though - woe betide if someone has chosen the Sarif ending but DX4 says the Taggart one was canon!

I haven't got around to read this section yet. It's interesting they mention that...because I don't see how it is harder to implement animations of "crazies" than it is of "zombies". I am no programmer so it's just a thought.

I don't have the book to hand at the moment to check, but IIRC they originally intended for the "crazies" to be hallucinating, and reacting to their hallucinations, so you'd see a wide range of behaviours - some would be hyper-aggressive, some would run away from you, some would simply cower in the corner, some might fight among themselves. My guess is they'd also still have been able to use guns, and would've had more complex AI than simply "run and hit you."

Jason Parker
8th Sep 2011, 13:43
Just to repeat something that has been said several times already: All that cut content we know about simply cries out loud: Directors Cut. Maybe they'l even play nice and give to us as a DLC.

Herbert Dashwood
8th Sep 2011, 13:45
I'd rather see another protangonist. I loved Adam, but because of the way the story went, another character would be much better.

PaterDeus
8th Sep 2011, 14:01
To be honest, I personally wouldn't have had any problems with them putting in multiple, very different endings and then simply saying that one of them is canon. I'm guessing I'm in the minority with this opinion though - woe betide if someone has chosen the Sarif ending but DX4 says the Taggart one was canon!

Actually, I think that's exactly what they did. Even though they gave you the choice to choose which ending you preferred, only one could tie into the story of the original. If you watch the scene at the end of the credits, it makes it seem like the self-destruct ending was canon. Which makes the most sense if you think about it. Take a look if you haven't watched it yet.

Augmented_Humanoid
25th Feb 2012, 12:31
Honestly, I think the way they concluded Deus Ex: Human Revolution was brilliant, both in regards to future development on making a sequel to follow up on Deus Ex: HR, and on leaving Deus Ex: HR as is and taking on another vein in the wide universe of Deus Ex. Why? Well, if they ever decided to follow up on the story, which seems highly likely seeing how they ended Deus Ex: HR, and the success it brought, then they could very well start the follow-up game with a cut-scene explaining, and showing us the events that took place in the end of Deus Ex: HR.

Maybe the ''moral message" ending was just a neat way to keep us hooked on finding out what really happened afterwards in regards to the story.

But yeah, hopefully they do end up developing a follow-up game to Deus Ex: HR's story.

Donvermicelli
26th Feb 2012, 15:18
Personally I would hope that if/when they make a sequel they don't start with a cutscene explaining what happened. I'd much rather find out by finding references in the game about what happened in the past. That is if they use a different character.

fs.sentencedtolif
26th Jun 2012, 12:41
well technically i'v played deus ex since 2005. including the original deus ex, invisible war and human revolution. and honestly i was disappointed with human revolution. the ability we had in the earlier games. the spy drone, boss fights, more versatile universe and decision making. it was beautiful. although human revolution felt little like deus ex unlike invisible war, it lost the main elements and disappointed me. and story wise human revolution is the first prequel.
so a new deus ex is a difficult one to form.
but incase they try to rewrite deus ex 1's story and form a better story, i'm sure i'd play the game at any cost. but seeing the older characters is not the style of deus ex. its always been, just conspiracies and ppl like bob page reappearing or mayb if the new story is better, hugh returning. mayb helping. mayb along wid the guy they call daud in deus ex 1.
Mayb they gave a link between Jensen and JC Denton (DE1)..
Or mayb they could write a new set of conspiracy stories.

singularity
27th Jun 2012, 00:57
Every Deus Ex thus far has followed a different protagonist durring a different time period. If they pick up with a new guy (or gal) in a new part of the world, 15 years after DXHR... the ending you got doesn't matter. We all know where things end up (and if you don't -- you just missed an awesome Deus Ex Steam sale... sorry). DXHR and the "next one" are just filling in the gaps.

All of Adam's endings could easily lead to the events in Deus Ex -- the same that they could easily lead into another sequel.