PDA

View Full Version : Things I didn't know but thought useful to share...

P4NCH0theD0G
4th Sep 2011, 20:58
... Also for other people. Join in and share your little secrets and tactics...

Silent Running Aug (Part of Leg Aug): If you switch it on, it will only consume energy when it is actually suppressing your footsteps, i.e. if you switch it on and keep crouching and sneaking no energy will be drained.

Doors: Except for the ones that are labeled "Indestructible" when pulling the cursor over them, you can actually destroy them. The yellow bar that looks like design is actually the health bar of the object. Sadly, you can't kick them in. (I'll have to try and put a mine or and RDE on a door an enemy walks by, see if that works like a breaking charge...)

Doors 2 Beware of doors and what's behind them, especially when what's behind them is a laser alarm grid. Doors only open AWAY from you. And they can and will trigger laser alarms.

CASIE Aug: If you don't have the CASIE, you will never know when you could have used it, i.e. conversations where you could have used it will not inform you. (like: "Well, if only you had the CASIE Aug, you could've done stuff differently, here.")

Mark&Track Stealth Aug: If you have Mark&Track and a Weapon with an activated upgrade ("Target Leading", "Target Finding") the mark&track mechanic overrides the weapon mode activation mechanic, i.e. as long as you target an enemy, the little box over your ammo that shows your weapon upgrade will disappear, and you cannot switch it on or off until you aim away from a target. (I nearly screamed when I thought the game had stolen my Target Leading for my Crossbow until I aimed away and there it was again...)

Double Takedown: Will always happen as long as two people are in range, i.e. if one enemy stands next to a civilian you will take them both down (but you only get points for the enemy...).

Enemy AI: When an enemy encounters a broken wall it will alert all enemies in the vicinity and they will come to investigate... nice for setups so you can make "Like a Typhoon in a small Room!"

Alarm Panels: Yes, they can be hacked. More importantly, if you hack and disable one, and an enemy tries to set it off, he goes into a loop of: "Somebody sound the alarm." - presses Alarm Panel, looks around, nothing happens - "Somebody sound the Alarm." - presses Alarm Panel, looks around, nothing happens... and so on...

Cameras/Turrets: Can be blocked by Crates and Boxes and (maybe) doors. Yes, if you take the time to arrange a box to block the view of that pesty camera or that annoying turret that prevents you from hacking that door, the camera will not see you (if you do it right...).

Since this turret does not rotate I just pushed a few of the taller boxes in front of it while crouched and avoiding the camera. After three boxes we're standing upright and made a nice little makeshift wall, the turret could no longer see me at all.

Roadblocks: Heavy Crates/Fridges/Vending Machines can be used to effectively block doors and doorways for enemies.

Turrets: Can be carried around with the Heavy Lifting Aug, even if you don't hack them. Once you hack them and switch them to "Enemies", they can be carried as far as you want to provide fire support.

Bodies: Can be thrown by pressing the Fire button while dragging them (maybe you need the Heavy Lifting Aug for that). They do make a little sound and it takes some energy, but if you need to get rid of a body quick or want to give a guard something to look at, just let it fly (literally). It doesn't even seem to kill them...

Hacking: If you capture the red "enemy" node while hacking, you not only win the hack, but also get all the datanodes, regardless of whether you captured them individually or not. In other words: aim for this, not the actual goal!.

Double Takedown does not work if one of the two targets is sitting down on a chair.

Takedown:Yeah, if you want to do a double takedown, just jump a little and the one sitting will be up. You can't do a takedown if your feet are not on the ground either (if you are on a bed or on a couch for example)

Lasers: drag an enemy just in front of it for deactivating them, or use the stealth aug for passing through.

Cameras/Lasers: you can temporarily stun them with the stun gun.

Turrets/Robots: you can also stun them but when they become active again, they will be in alarmed status

Enemys: EMP will incapacitate them temporarily, even the heavy one (can be useful for a situation about an helicopter)

NPC: Concussion grenade will knock them out (useless I know ^^)

Barrel/Boxes: You can fall back of an entire building on it, if you walk on them and destabilize them for making them fall with you (it's the quick save/quick load solution of the first one :D)
For example, it's useful on DRB territory where there is the wall to break through, if you don't have the Icarus Landing to get the 200 XP or in the TYM for the XP book (don't know if there is boxes nearby though but I suppose so)

Mines/UR-DED: When you throw them at people, they jump around in fear. It's pretty funny (it's more useful with UR-DED devices obviously ^^)

Fire extinguisher: They can be useful to temporarily incapacitate two enemys for "double takedowning" them (like the two sitting in Double-T's apartment if they are hostile)

Cardboard: you can throw it to lure an enemy away from his patrol path (obvious but hey, you never know)

Walls: You can break them without the aug, with explosive or just weapons.

Weapon mods: If you let a weapon already modded in some place, and modded another of the same weapon. In picking the first one, the modifications will merge all in one gun.

Remotely Detonated Explosive: Can be used as a breaking charge for doors/walls, killing any guard right behind it.

Crossbow: Crossbows actually "nail" enemies into nearby walls with the Bolts. Only after you remove the Bolt can you move them.

Crossbow Bolts: Can be removed and reused by pointing the cursor at it, but (at least it seems to me) only if you align yourself with the bolt, stand right in line behind it. Like if you wanted to actually pull an arrow or bolt out of anything, you can't pull it upwards or sideways or it will snap (I get 3 out of 4 out of walls and heads).

Enemy Heavies: Can be one-shot-killed with a head shot with the armor-piercing 10mm, can be (almost) insta-tranqed with a head shot with the Tranq-Rifle, but CAN NOT be head-shot one-shotted with the Crossbow.

Hacking Analyze Augment: Will not show you the effects of "Soften" or "Transfer" nodes, i.e. which nodes will be affected and how.

Grenade Launcher: Makes the third boss fight absolutely ridiculously easy. Don't recommend it.

Turrets:When you pick up turrets out of stealth that have not been hacked, they can turn around and shoot you. If you are stealthed you can pick up an un-hacked turret and place it facing a wall. Once you exit stealth and it faces a wall/away from you it will NEVER turn around unless attacked.

Stealth:You can hack while stealthed (derp).

BodiesYou can [run] while moving a body (I never realized this because I was always crouched when moving bodies! haha).

Robots:Explosives such as mines or rocket launcher, will alert robots, but they won't go hostile if you have a good spot to hide or at some distance away from them.

Luring Enemies:If you have the patience as already mentioned if you use boxes, silenced weapon or just plain running/jumping to attract attention, you only ever attract one guard to investigate, so it is a slow process, but very doable to clear out entire areas!

Smash Walls Aug: will automagically snap the neck of (kill) anyone standing on the other side. Most noticeable while trying to complete "Claoak and Daggers".

Scoped WeaponsYou can hold the fire button after you've shot, and the weapon will not zoom out, helping you confirm a hit (tranq, sniper, crossbow)

P4NCH0: that one didn't work for me...

Jumping Glitch: If you have the Jumping augmentation that allows you to jump 9 feet into the air, you can throw a frag or place a mine on the floor, run and jump over it in time with the explosion and it will catapult you into the air. Handy for getting on roofs.

NPC: They always carry what they give you (except the one that says that he doesn't ^^)

Cameras and Bots: you can destroy cameras and bots by throwing stuff at them- use heavy objects for bots. not recommended on box guard.

Heavy Rifle: use the heavy rifle from cover only- more useful and fun this way. laser sight helps. start the rotor in blindfire before leaning out.

EDIT: BoB beat me to the punch on this one- most side quest

NPCs: have the items on them that they would give you for completing a quest [or items/money that you give them (bribes etc.). If you want you can simply knock em out and take the goods, although no xp.
[Caution: may alter NPC behavior and options of interaction]

Wall Smash Aug: if you dont get punch through walls aug, breakable walls wont be highlighted, although the wall will have a crack.

Cars in Detroit: eventually catch fire and explode if you keep throwing stuff [or shooting] at them. Best part? AI's go alert, but no one seems to realize you did it. If two different alerted groups (cops, gangs, police, even gun merchants) spot each other, they will start shooting each other. Also, they might go and investigate a burning car that's about to explode. Fun times! Sadly, there are no cars in Heng Sha, and motorcycles don't exhibit this interactivity.

Breakable Walls: will break after exactly 13 shots with the 10mm. People behind it will either die or get knocked unconscious, but you won't get any points for them.

Typhoon: attacks will NOT freeze people in time during the animation. They will continue to move, albeit in slow-motion. Also, with enough energy, Typhoon attacks can be started and finished cloaked without giving up your Ghost bonus (as long as nobody close enough to notice survives...)

Mark and Track Aug: can be activated on people through walls/floors if you have the Smart Vision Aug (these augs really complement each other... meaning both are more useful when used together... since you normally need LOS to activate Mark and Track but once you do the range is infinite and it takes no energy, while the Smart Vision aug has short range and uses energy).

Crossbow: Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but I noticed that I can kill 2 people with one crossbow shot if they're lined up right.

[B]Mines: If you place a mine beside a knocked out enemy, the AI will ignore the mine as it attempts to revive the knocked out soldier. This can be extremely useful with gas mines, as the bodies will continue to attract more guards, usually right in to the cloud itself.

Enemy Weapons: If you manage to knock out bodyguards, after they drop their primary weapon, they will often pull out a 10mm Pistol after being revived. This allows one to grab two weapons to sell to weapons dealers, if they're careful.

Civilian NPCs: appear to be immune to fall damage. If you knock one out, and launch them from the fourth story in Alice Garden Pods, they will still be knocked out - not dead - at the bottom.

Bots: Unlike turrets, when bots are disabled they become invincible until reactivated.

Turrets: If a turret is disabled, and the player shoots it (Even with a silenced weapon from behind) when the turret is activated again, it will start out in hostile condition, but will not know where the player is.

Laser Sight Misalignment: When the laser sight is added to [any weapon], the scope/Iron Sights becomes vertically false. The bullet will hit where the laser is [pointing], which is typically a few inches lower than the scope/Iron Sights.

Final Boss: During Zhao's fight, the laser rifle allows you to simply shoot her through the glass. This allows the player to bypass killing the drones, and engaging the swarm of augments and bots.

Bridge over electric waters: If the ground is electrified, the player can use two crates to cross it without taking damage. Simply set-up one crate in front of the other, then move to the front crate. Turn around, bring it in front of you and move on to it. Continue on until the section has been crossed. This can be very useful for entering the police lock-up if the player doesn't have EMP protection.

Falling Down: None of the "giant falls" in the game (Any fall where the ground is immensely far away, such as Panchaea's core) can be jumped down, even with the jump aug. [you can jump down the missile silos, though]

XP: Once a guard has been knocked unconcious, they will no longer net any XP, even after being woken back up.

Hacking: Using Spams when hacking can allow you to lower the Anti-Virus rating to zero, which means the player wont be detected for any activity (Capturing or Defending).

Attacking NPCs: If the player wasn't detected shooting someone, often times they can avoid being caught by simply holstering their weapon. NPCs may look straight at them, and let the player go.

Sleeping Guards: Despite the what the cone-of-sight aug says, sleeping guards have zero visibility. The player can pass directly in front of them without being detected. [I had many sleepers and the cone didn't show up at all...]

Guards: Bumping guards alerts them, even if they're sleeping.

Takedowns: The players's position when they launch a takedown affects where the guard will end up, not the guard's position. Staying far behind will cause the guard to get "pulled back" slightly. Getting up close to the guard will cause them to end up slightly forward.

Clearing out Rooms: NPC's will not react to a [unnoticed] loss of guards nor weapons left on the floor. The player can take out dozens of guards from the same room, and even if there's just one guard left, they wont suspect anything.

Big Pockets: The Purity First members who search through crates never stop taking items. They can place dozens of cans into their pockets, and will still continue to search.

Takedowns: can throw enemies off of ledges and over railings or bannisters, making sound and causing nearby enemies to investigate, even if it was a non-lethal takedown (doesn't happen often, though...)

Updated, somewhat spoiler-freed, slightly edited and more or less limited to gameplay-stuff instead of item locations etc. Thanks all for contributing.

Ashpolt
4th Sep 2011, 22:05
Here's one that I've found really useful:

Hacking: If you capture the red "enemy" node while hacking, you not only win the hack, but also get all the datanodes, regardless of whether you captured them individually or not. In other words: aim for this, not the actual goal!

[EDIT] And here's a question as well that hopefully someone can answer: when using the target leading system with the crossbow or tranq. rifle, what do the individual circles mean? Is it that the white circle is where you have to aim to hit what's currently under the red circle? I can't quite figure it out.

Akon
4th Sep 2011, 22:14
Double Takedown does not work if one of the two targets is sitting down on a chair.

pha
4th Sep 2011, 22:19
See those red fire extinguishers which stand out in the yellow environments? Throw them at the cameras. It will disable them for good, and won't trigger any alarms. The action itself is still a bit loud so watch for nearby enemies.

EDIT: I totally forgot about this post, apparently it doesn't work, thanks chabbles.

who ever said that u can throw fire extinguishers at cameras to disable them without setting off the alarm was talking out ther ass, u can throw stuff at cameras to disable them but the alarm still goes off,
u can disable without setting off the alarm with the stun gun

Sadly, you can't kick them in. (I'll have to try and put a mine or and RDE on a door an enemy walks by, see if that works like a breaking charge...)

It would be nice to do "break ins" at least after getting the wall punch aug or an equivalent strength aug.

P4NCH0theD0G
4th Sep 2011, 22:42
And here's a question as well that hopefully someone can answer: when using the target leading system with the crossbow or tranq. rifle, what do the individual circles mean? Is it that the white circle is where you have to aim to hit what's currently under the red circle? I can't quite figure it out.

The bigger, less bright circle is a "Lock On" on your enemy. It will appear once you aim at a valid target.
Then your crosshairs will adjust for distance (i.e. move down).
The second, smaller, brighter circle is where you should aim to hit your target. It adjusts as to where you aim (meaning that if you aim higher for a headshot the circle will also rise accordingly), but also takes the target's movements into account (shown when the smaller circle "leads" the target).
Once your crosshairs are over the second circle, it gains a red outline, your "on-target" notification.

It works fairly well most of the time, but when you are standing on a ledge looking down almost vertically on your target it's totally off.

imported_BoB_
6th Sep 2011, 03:21

Yeah, if you want to do a double takedown, just jump a little and the one sitting will be up. You can't do a takedown if your feet are not on the ground either (if you are on a bed or on a couch for example)

Lasers: drag an enemy just in front of it for deactivating them, or use the stealth aug for passing through.

Cameras/Lasers: you can temporarily stun them with the stun gun.

Turrets/Robots: you can also stun them but when they become active again, they will be in alarmed status (so you lose the Smooth Operator bonus)

Enemys: EMP will incapacitate them temporarily, even the heavy one (can be useful for a situation about an helicopter)

NPC: Concussion grenade will knock them out (useless I know ^^)

Barrel/Boxes: You can fall back of an entire building on it, if you walk on them and destabilize them for making them fall with you (it's the quick save/quick load solution of the first one :D)
For example, it's useful on DRB territory where there is the wall to break through, if you don't have the Icarus Landing to get the 200 XP or in the TYM for the XP book (don't know if there is boxes nearby though but I suppose so)

Mines/UR-DED: When you throw them at people, they jump around in fear. It's pretty funny (it's more useful with UR-DED devices obviously ^^)

Fire extinguisher: They can be useful to temporarily incapacitate two enemys for "double takedowning" them (like the two sitting in Double-T's apartment if they are hostile)

Crossbow: you can't move a body if thet got shot with it (don't know if it's a bug or not)

Cardboard: you can throw it to lure an enemy away from his patrol path (obvious but hey, you never know)

Walls: You can break them without the aug, with explosive or just weapons.

Weapon mods: If you let a weapon already modded in some place, and modded another of the same weapon. In picking the first one, the modifications will merge all in one gun.

P4NCH0theD0G
6th Sep 2011, 05:15
Remotely Detonated Explosive: Can be used as a breaking charge for doors/walls, killing any guard right behind it.

Crossbow: Crossbows actually "nail" enemies into nearby walls with the Bolts. Only after you remove the Bolt can you move them.

Crossbow Bolts: Can be removed and reused by pointing the cursor at it, but (at least it seems to me) only if you align yourself with the bolt, stand right in line behind it. Like if you wanted to actually pull an arrow or bolt out of anything, you can't pull it upwards or sideways or it will snap (I get 3 out of 4 out of walls and heads).

Enemy Heavies: Can be one-shot-killed with a head shot with the armor-piercing 10mm, can be (almost) insta-tranqed with a head shot with the Tranq-Rifle, but CAN NOT be head-shot one-shotted with the Crossbow.

Hacking Analyze Augment: Will not show you the effects of "Soften" or "Transfer" nodes, i.e. which nodes will be affected and how.

Grenade Launcher: Makes the third boss fight absolutely ridiculously easy. Don't recommend it.

Keep listing, guys, nice job...

IH-Denton
6th Sep 2011, 05:17
also Takedown doesn't work while enemy doing some animation (playing console)

Vasili
6th Sep 2011, 09:14
When you pick up turrets out of stealth that have not been hacked, they can turn around and shoot you. If you are stealthed you can pick up an un-hacked turret and place it facing a wall. Once you exit stealth and it faces a wall/away from you it will NEVER turn around unless attacked.

You can hack while stealthed (derp).

You can sprint while moving a body (I never realised this because I was always crouched when moving bodies! haha).

An accidental XP exploit:
If you tranq an enemy from far away and his ally realises, he will attempt to wake the downed man up by kneeling down and performing an animation. If you wait till after the tranq'd enemy's friend finishes his animation and stands upright, you can tranq him. His mate will eventually get up and try to wake the newly downed friend. Rise and repeat. You can continually get +50xp for every tranq. BEWARE: tranq rifles are hard to find ammo for! :(

Mine are kind of derp/obvious ones though :).

Painman
6th Sep 2011, 09:29
Smash Walls aug will automagically snap the neck of (kill) anyone standing on the other side. Most noticeable while trying to complete "Claoak and Daggers" though the area in question is 100% ingnorable for the quest reward.

Weak walls can also be destroyed by RL, GL, Frag grenades or UR-DEDs. There's no need for this aug at all, unless you really want recoil suppression.

Ashpolt
6th Sep 2011, 10:35
An accidental XP exploit:
If you tranq an enemy from far away and his ally realises, he will attempt to wake the downed man up by kneeling down and performing an animation. If you wait till after the tranq'd enemy's friend finishes his animation and stands upright, you can tranq him. His mate will eventually get up and try to wake the newly downed friend. Rise and repeat. You can continually get +50xp for every tranq. BEWARE: tranq rifles are hard to find ammo for! :(

This doesn't work. You only get the XP for the first time you knock out any given enemy. If you're continually getting XP this way, it's a bug and you should report it in the tech forum.

ocstew
6th Sep 2011, 10:50
You can capture the tracking node and instantly win any hacking minigame.

You can hold the fire button after you've shot, and the weapon will not zoom out, helping you confirm a hit (tranq, sniper, crossbow)

BioHazard4Live
6th Sep 2011, 11:44
Here's one that I've found really useful:

Hacking: If you capture the red "enemy" node while hacking, you not only win the hack, but also get all the datanodes, regardless of whether you captured them individually or not. In other words: aim for this, not the actual goal!

Well damn.. That would've been useful to know 2 playthroughs ago...

imported_BoB_
6th Sep 2011, 13:24
It would be smart if people actually read the already listed things instead of repeating the same one again and again...

Cult Icon
6th Sep 2011, 13:28
Jumping Glitch: If you have the Jumping augmentation that allows you to jump 9 feet into the air, you can throw a frag or place a mine on the floor, run and jump over it in time with the explosion and it will catapult you into the air. Handy for getting on roofs.

Exia
6th Sep 2011, 13:32
The very first stationary turret I did a small experiment, but you can actually get to almost a 90 degree angle off the sides of it if you approach the sides.

Since this turret does not rotate I just pushed a few of the taller boxes in front of it while crouched and avoiding the camera. After three boxes we're standing upright and made a nice little makeshift wall, the turret could no longer see me at all.

Useful if you want ghost on the very first mission and still get into room where the turret control and a few hacking modules are kept.

I carried the vending machine around in the police station to block the cameras until I could disable them, or while I was hacking the door panels. There was only one active camera left when I finished :D

Although aside from throwing a vending machine, they don't go upstairs very easily XD

Explosives such as mines or rocket launcher, will alert robots, but they won't go hostile if you have a good spot to hide or at some distance away from them.

If you have the patience as already mentioned if you use boxes, silenced weapon or just plain running/jumping to attract attention, you only ever attract one guard to investigate, so it is a slow process, but very doable to clear out entire areas!

imported_BoB_
6th Sep 2011, 13:45
NPC: They always carry what they give you (except the one that says that he doesn't ^^)
If you paid Laetitia for her tips, you can knock her out and take your money back. If you knock out the barman in the Hive, you get the praxis kit, if you knock out Jenny, you get the 2 000 credits and the mod, if you knock out Tindall, you get the recording etc...

Exia
6th Sep 2011, 13:55
If you paid Laetitia for her tips, you can knock her out and take your money back. If you knock out the barman in the Hive, you get the praxis kit, if you knock out Jenny, you get the 2 000 credits and the mod, if you knock out Tindall, you get the recording etc...

haha, Bob just out of interest is there anyone you don't knock out ;)

Kodaemon
6th Sep 2011, 14:06
You can disarm the Purist bomb by shooting either of the two chemical tanks.

Cars in Detroit eventually catch fire and explode if you keep throwing stuff at them. Best part? AI's go alert, but no one seems to realize you did it. If two different alerted groups (cops, gangs, police, even gun merchants) spot each other, they will start shooting each other. Also, they might go and investigate a burning car that's about to explode. Fun times! Sadly, there are no cars in Heng Sha, and motorcycles don't exhibit this interactivity.

unbeatableDX
6th Sep 2011, 14:14
there is two elevator shafts in heng sha- one in van bruggen's hotel and one in the harvester hideout. i tried for ages getting to the very top of each one by stacking boxes. dont bother, they just have alternate routes at the top with no xp bonuses or items. if it was DX1 there would have been a weapon mod or something.

there is a damage weapon mod in a crate in one of the storage rooms on the first real mission (sarif manufacturing plant)

you can destroy cameras and bots by throwing stuff at them- use heavy objects for bots. not recommended on box guard.

the first mission- DONT pick the combat rifle when sarif gives you the option. you should have 2 batteries, use them to silent takedown the two riot police as soon as you start without alerting the others, then you have a free combat rifle.

use the heavy rifle from cover only- more useful and fun this way. laser sight helps. start the rotor in blindfire before leaning out.

EDIT: BoB beat me to the punch on this one- most side quest NPCs have the items on them that they would give you for completing a quest. if you want you can simply knock em out and take the goods, although no xp.
twice this has been useful- the side quest you get from police buddy after you come out of detriot convention center- he has silencer AND credits on him. useful if you mess up the quest by killing mad man in sewers.
bartender in the hive- bribe him with 5000 credits for the guardian angel achievement then jump over the bar, crouch and do a silent take down on him for your 5000 credits back AND a praxis kit. stay crouched behind the bar and hopefully no one notices. if they do enjoy a thrilling shootout. the game should react to this and tong wont let you in his office- you have to crawl in a vent and overhear him talking to find out the location of van bruggen(cutscene).

if you dont get punch through walls aug, breakable walls wont be highlighted, although the wall will have a crack. 2 praxis kits can be found- 1 in heng sha sewers, other in detriot sewers (2nd visit)

Kodaemon
6th Sep 2011, 14:18
this ones credit goes to kodeamon- you can blow up the cars in detriot by throwing barrels at them.

Heh, I just updated my last post with details :P

hazard001
6th Sep 2011, 14:42

Nade jumping??? Just like back in TeamFortress classic. ^^

Akiharho
6th Sep 2011, 19:42
when a picus's headquarters and waiting for the funicular to arrive... theres is supposed to be soldiers that attack you while you await the elevator... well if you take and block the entrances with the turret the first door, the vending machine and some crates to the other opening , the guards just never show up and you wait for the funicular and thats that

P4NCH0theD0G
8th Sep 2011, 01:52
Updated first post.

Cheers.

P4NCH0theD0G
8th Sep 2011, 02:25
Armed Friendly NPCs: Cannot be farmed for XP, even if you shoot one and the others come at you.

unbeatableDX
8th Sep 2011, 04:46

You can sprint while moving a body (I never realised this because I was always crouched when moving bodies! haha).

:).

i call BS on this. on the 360 anyway

rokstrombo
8th Sep 2011, 05:59
I carried the vending machine around in the police station to block the cameras until I could disable them, or while I was hacking the door panels. There was only one active camera left when I finished :D

Hehe I used this tactic to hack all the terminals as well. You can imagine the size of the structure required to hack the central terminal on the ground floor without being busted!

If you have the patience as already mentioned if you use boxes, silenced weapon or just plain running/jumping to attract attention, you only ever attract one guard to investigate, so it is a slow process, but very doable to clear out entire areas!

You usually only attract one guard, but if multiple guards are scripted to be alert during a particular sequence you can get two in formation which makes things difficult. It appears also that some guards are assigned to specific areas and won't leave under any circumstances, so getting them alone and out of sight is not always possible (some of the patrol routes are quite clever). Tranquilising a guard is another option, because if you're lucky you get a brief shot at one of his buddies when they try to revive him. Between the patrol routes, alerted enemies, cameras and panning turrets, often a combination of tactics are required to clear an area.

there is two elevator shafts in heng sha- one in van bruggen's hotel and one in the harvester hideout. i tried for ages getting to the very top of each one by stacking boxes. dont bother, they just have alternate routes at the top with no xp bonuses or items. if it was DX1 there would have been a weapon mod or something.

There is a Praxis Kit at the bottom of the elevator shaft of the Hengsha Court Gardens but I don't remember if there is an exploration bonus as well.

if you dont get punch through walls aug, breakable walls wont be highlighted, although the wall will have a crack. 2 praxis kits can be found- 1 in heng sha sewers, other in detriot sewers (2nd visit)

The Praxis Kit in the Detroit sewers can also be obtained the first time you visit Detroit. The broken walls will be patched up by the time you return, although virtually none of the loot is replenished.

Romeo
8th Sep 2011, 06:37
If you place a mine beside a knocked out enemy, the AI will ignore the mine as it attempts to revive the knocked out soldier. This can be extremely useful with gas mines, as the bodies will continue to attract more guards, usually right in to the cloud itself.

If you manage to knock out bodyguards, after they drop their primary weapon, they will often pull out a 10mm Pistol after being revived. This allows one to grab two weapons to sell to weapons dealers, if they're careful.

Civilians appear to be immune to fall damage. If you knock one out, and launch them from the fourth story in Alice Garden Pods, they will still be knocked out - not dead - at the bottom.

Unlike turrets, when bots are disabled they become invincible until reactivated.

If a turret is disabled, and the player shoots it (Even with a silenced weapon from behind) when the turret is activated again, it will start out in hostile condition, but will not know where the player is.

When the laser sight is added to the Sniper Rifle, the scope becomes vertically false. The bullet will hit where the laser is, which is typically a few inches lower than the scope.

During Zhao's fight, the laser rifle allows you to simply shoot her through the glass. This allows the player to bypass killing the drones, and engaging the swarm of augments and bots.

If the ground is electrified, the player can use two crates to cross it without taking damage. Simply set-up one crate in front of the other, then move to the front crate. Turn around, bring it in front of you and move on to it. Continue on until the section has been crossed. This can be very useful for entering the police lock-up if the player doesn't have EMP protection.

None of the "giant falls" in the game (Any fall where the ground is immensely far away, such as Panchaea's core) can be jumped down, even with the jump aug.

Once a guard has been knocked unconcious, they will no longer net any XP, even after being woken back up.

Using Spams when hacking can allow you to lower the Anti-Virus rating to zero, which means the player wont be detected for any activity (Capturing or Defending).

If the player wasn't detecting shooting someone, often times they can avoid being caught by simply holstering their weapon. NPCs may look straight at them, and let the player go.

Despite jumping through the air, surrounded by a vibrant orange glow, the Icarus Landing System actually makes the character fairly hard to detect - as soon as it engages, time stops, allowing the player to fall without fear of detection.

Despite the what the cone-of-sight aug says, sleeping guards have zero visibility. The player can pass directly in front of them without being detected.

Bumping guards alerts them, even if they're sleeping.

The players's position when they launch a takedown affects where the guard will end up, not the guard's position. Staying far behind will cause the guard to get "pulled back" slightly. Getting up close to the guard will cause them to end up slightly forward.

NPC's will not react to a loss of guards nor weapons left on the floor. The player can take out dozens of guards from the same room, and even if there's just one guard left, they wont suspect anything.

The Purity First members who search through crates never stop taking items. They can place dozens of cans in to their pockets, and will still continue to search.

imported_BoB_
8th Sep 2011, 06:45
Despite jumping through the air, surrounded by a vibrant orange glow, the Icarus Landing System actually makes the character fairly hard to detect - as soon as it engages, time stops, allowing the player to fall without fear of detection.

Are you sure?
Because I used it several times missing the punch move for incapaciting them on impact, and when I land, I was killed pretty quickly because they heard me "whooshing" :D
(nevermind, I think I understand what you meant)

And I have another one related to this:

Icarus Landing: You can actually kill someone if you punch through his head on landing. Pretty badass.

Bumping guards alerts them, even if they're sleeping.

Even opening a drawer wakes them up sometimes ^^

daemonjax
8th Sep 2011, 06:47
1) You can fire weapons while using the Cloak augmentation (a bit obvious, but I've never seen a reviewer comment on that it can be very useful for a non-stealth playthrough)

2) You can activate the Mark and Track aug on people through walls/floors if you have the Smart Vision aug (these augs really complement each other... meaning both are more useful when used together... since you normally need LOS to activate Mark and Track but once you do the range is infinite and it takes no energy, while the the Smart Vision aug has short range and uses energy).

Romeo
8th Sep 2011, 07:49
Are you sure?
Because I used it several times missing the punch move for incapaciting them on impact, and when I land, I was killed pretty quickly because they heard me "whooshing" :D
(nevermind, I think I understand what you meant)

And I have another one related to this:

Icarus Landing: You can actually kill someone if you punch through his head on landing. Pretty badass.

Even opening a drawer wakes them up sometimes ^^
More often than not, there's only two things that alert guards when using the ILS, and neither of them are from the aug itself:

One is while leading in to the jump you may get exposed (The aug doesn't kick in instantly). If a guard sees you before it kicks in, you'll land with him in an aware state.

Two, you always land standing up with the aug. Because of this, if you move immediately after landing, your footsteps will arouse suspicion. Remember to crouch.

Beyond those two things though, you're invisible while the Icarus is active.

Exia
8th Sep 2011, 08:06
Hehe I used this tactic to hack all the terminals as well. You can imagine the size of the structure required to hack the central terminal on the ground floor without being busted!

You usually only attract one guard, but if multiple guards are scripted to be alert during a particular sequence you can get two in formation which makes things difficult. It appears also that some guards are assigned to specific areas and won't leave under any circumstances, so getting them alone and out of sight is not always possible (some of the patrol routes are quite clever). Tranquilising a guard is another option, because if you're lucky you get a brief shot at one of his buddies when they try to revive him. Between the patrol routes, alerted enemies, cameras and panning turrets, often a combination of tactics are required to clear an area.

Good to see a fellow "vendor" ;) I cleared the whole police station with this method, never once got two approaching, but yea you have sound advice for that. When I say cleared, this was everyone except the front reception/lobby area! :) So I cleared out the big office with this method, I just used the garbage bin over and over to get their attention near the lift and by the end of it I had an elevator full of bodies :D

Unlike turrets, when bots are disabled they become invincible until reactivated.

You can still emp bots to destroy them, although weapons fire I think you are correct, but I just emp'd it, without firing a shot off, no idea if emp's work through the security doors some bots are housed behind.

P4NCH0theD0G
8th Sep 2011, 14:40
More often than not, there's only two things that alert guards when using the ILS, and neither of them are from the aug itself:

One is while leading in to the jump you may get exposed (The aug doesn't kick in instantly). If a guard sees you before it kicks in, you'll land with him in an aware state.

Two, you always land standing up with the aug. Because of this, if you move immediately after landing, your footsteps will arouse suspicion. Remember to crouch.

Beyond those two things though, you're invisible while the Icarus is active.

In my experience you always make a sound when landing with the Icarus just as you would when jumping/falling down from somewhere. It will attract the attention of nearby guards. It cannot be negated by crouching or not moving on impact. Your feet land, you make a sound.

So while you are "invisible" while floating down, without the necessary augment you will make a sound from landing.

I spent about two hours in my first playthrough on doing an Icarus Landing with subsequent Typhoon attack on three guys without losing my Ghost, and the only way to do this cleanly was engaging the Silent Landing Aug before I Icarus'ed down. I was landing, then standing right behind them and they didn't react.
Without Silent Landing they hear you land and turn during your Typhoon animation to become hostile.
With the Icarus Stun one of them dies but the other two turn alarmed and (most of the time) hostile before I was finished with my Typhoon, so no more Ghost.
With the Silent Landing Augment (in the Leg Augment Tree) you can Icarus down to land almost directly on top of someone and they won't notice unless you actually land in front of them.

Also, no you cannot "Sprint" while dragging a body, but you can stand up and run (which is faster and I think is what Vasili meant).

Oh, yeah:

Typhoon: attacks will NOT freeze people in time during the animation. They will continue to move, albeit in slow-motion. Also, with enough energy, Typhoon attacks can be started and finished cloaked without giving up your Ghost bonus (as long as nobody close enough to notice survives...)

Frag Maniac
8th Sep 2011, 21:54
The only thing I would add to the OP's list is...

1. You can also stack crates to keep enemies from seeing you hack. I did it with controls for the turret where you summons the funicular to take out the first two guys patrolling there.

2. Before opening any doors, always look at the mini map. It will show any cameras on the other side of it and what direction they're pointing.

P4NCH0theD0G
9th Sep 2011, 00:13
Breakable Walls: break after exactly 13 shots with the 10mm. Should someone stand next to a breaking wall that you shoot down like that, he will be knocked out, but you won't get any points.

Romeo
9th Sep 2011, 00:25
In my experience you always make a sound when landing with the Icarus just as you would when jumping/falling down from somewhere. It will attract the attention of nearby guards. It cannot be negated by crouching or not moving on impact. Your feet land, you make a sound.

So while you are "invisible" while floating down, without the necessary augment you will make a sound from landing.

I spent about two hours in my first playthrough on doing an Icarus Landing with subsequent Typhoon attack on three guys without losing my Ghost, and the only way to do this cleanly was engaging the Silent Landing Aug before I Icarus'ed down. I was landing, then standing right behind them and they didn't react.
Without Silent Landing they hear you land and turn during your Typhoon animation to become hostile.
With the Icarus Stun one of them dies but the other two turn alarmed and (most of the time) hostile before I was finished with my Typhoon, so no more Ghost.
With the Silent Landing Augment (in the Leg Augment Tree) you can Icarus down to land almost directly on top of someone and they won't notice unless you actually land in front of them.

Also, no you cannot "Sprint" while dragging a body, but you can stand up and run (which is faster and I think is what Vasili meant).

Oh, yeah:

Um... I used Icarus plenty of times without the silent landing aug. Never alerted anyone. I suppose the easy way to check would be to use the "stealth enhancer" to see if you cause noise when landing.

P4NCH0theD0G
9th Sep 2011, 15:53
Once I get to Hengsha again, I'll do a vid. There are two possibilities for testing, one at the Court Gardens, one at Alice Pods.

Just started a new playthrough, so I can't really do any testing until then, but I'm actually pretty sure. You only alert people close, like you would if you jumped down behind someone, but there is sound.

EDIT: Well, the vid will have to wait, just fell victim to the Cloak and Daggers Glitch. Re-START. Darn.

chabbles
10th Sep 2011, 20:50
who ever said that u can throw fire extinguishers at cameras to disable them without setting off the alarm was talking out ther ass, u can throw stuff at cameras to disable them but the alarm still goes off,
u can disable without setting off the alarm with the stun gun

pha
10th Sep 2011, 22:01
^ Edited. :o

Painman
10th Sep 2011, 22:24
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but I noticed that I can kill 2 people with one crossbow shot if they're lined up right.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
11th Sep 2011, 09:50
Cool thread. :cool:

Kiyanavasala
11th Sep 2011, 14:26
Derelict Row: You don't need the Icarus Landing System to survive the big drop. If you stand on the beams and look down, you'll see a series of identical beams going down to the floor--one set directly below you, the other set a short distance away. Aim straight for the other beam and run forward--you'll just make it. Now turn around and repeat the procedure.

JCpies
11th Sep 2011, 15:26
Not sure if you know or not, but close to the police station there's a tall fence that you can cross by stacking crates. Behind the fence is a dead body with loot and clues about the illegal aug clinic.

Painman
11th Sep 2011, 15:38
Not sure if you know or not, but close to the police station there's a tall fence that you can cross by stacking crates. Behind the fence is a dead body with loot and clues about the illegal aug clinic.

Yep. Missed that in my first go round, but found it this time.

There are a couple of breakable walls in the sewers beneath the cop shop area - one of them hides some interesting stuff...

The cops buried a bunch of cold case files down there, along with the code for their basement lasers, and passwords for a bunch of computers on the first floor.

P4NCH0theD0G
12th Sep 2011, 16:20
Updated OP with the general gameplay stuff, corrections and some editing. I left the item locations and such to the different posts, though.

Thanks to all.

nomotog
12th Sep 2011, 18:19
Having the emp armor aug makes you immune to electric water.

You can also move large object by shooing them with a shotgun.

Fallingwater
12th Sep 2011, 19:02
If, while hacking, you screw up and can't possibly complete the hack in the remaining time, disconnecting from the computer (rather than letting it forcibly kick you out) will still exhaust one of the attempts, but will not trigger the 30-second lockdown.

Not sure if this is widely known, but it does make life easier for me.

P4NCH0theD0G
14th Sep 2011, 03:49
Alarm Panels: can be blocked by positioning a Heavy Object in front of them (as can doors, cameras, turrets etc.).

Exia
14th Sep 2011, 10:31
Confirmed that you can indeed blow up robots with emp's while they are still housed in there security door/pod things, I just threw an emp mine at the security door itself and shot it and the door opens as the robot blows up. The emp grenades pretty much the same thing if you can get the grenade close enough of course.

Double take downs only require two enemies to be standing close to each other as we all know, One thing I don't know if it has been said or not is that there is no need to position yourself in between them, so you can sneak behind one, as that same npc is working as your "cover" from the other npc :)

Unconfirmed on moving targets though, I tried this with stationary ones only.

Kodaemon
14th Sep 2011, 16:33
I haven't tried to replicate it, but on my first try, I blew up a wall with an enemy behind it, and he got knocked out rather than killed (which would have happened if I used the wall punch).

Kiyanavasala
15th Sep 2011, 00:31
Computers: "Dispose" of someone while they're logged into their computer and you can don't have to hack to gain access to it. Naturally, this means the optimum source of XP is to get them to leave their seat first--perhaps to investigate a mine that just appeared on the floor--dispose of them and then hack their computer afterwards.

Romeo
15th Sep 2011, 04:45
Huh, never knew that. =P

Kodaemon
15th Sep 2011, 07:02
Yay, more XP exploits! :D

chabbles
15th Sep 2011, 07:09
Computers: "Dispose" of someone while they're logged into their computer and you can don't have to hack to gain access to it. Naturally, this means the optimum source of XP is to get them to leave their seat first--perhaps to investigate a mine that just appeared on the floor--dispose of them and then hack their computer afterwards.

what ?

Kiyanavasala
15th Sep 2011, 09:00
If someone using a computer is knocked out or killed in their seat in a single blow, their account stays logged in. If they get alerted and leave their seat, they log out and you can hack it.

Lv4
15th Sep 2011, 09:32
If, while hacking, you screw up and can't possibly complete the hack in the remaining time, disconnecting from the computer (rather than letting it forcibly kick you out) will still exhaust one of the attempts, but will not trigger the 30-second lockdown.

Not sure if this is widely known, but it does make life easier for me.

Also, if you do bring the exit popup when hacking (just press escape, the popup has Exit or Back buttons) and after that you click on the Disconnect button instead of Exit, it will not exhaust any attempt.

Enjoy infinite hacking :)

Grimesy
15th Sep 2011, 15:08
Bridge over electric waters:

Take care using this technique to turn the boxes around AWAY from a wall,
because when hitting the wall with said box, Adam will back up to let the box
pass between him and the wall, often resulting in falling off the box you are on.

edit: tl;dr, at least not all comments, so might have been mentioned before

unbeatableDX
15th Sep 2011, 15:18
Bridge over electric waters:

Take care using this technique to turn the boxes around AWAY from a wall,
because when hitting the wall with said box, Adam will back up to let the box
pass between him and the wall, often resulting in falling off the box you are on.

edit: tl;dr, at least not all comments, so might have been mentioned before

there is no need to make bridges over electric water. there is allways a way around them WITHOUT augs.

Kiyanavasala
15th Sep 2011, 16:16
there is no need to make bridges over electric water. there is allways a way around them WITHOUT augs.

It helps early on when you're scrimping for XP for augs. The tunnel in Detroit--the one with the breaker switch surrounded by electrified water--springs to mind.

Romeo
15th Sep 2011, 19:07
Exactly as the fellow above me posted, in Detroit you get 200 or 300XP for nabbing two crates and making your way through the tunnel beside the Precinct.

PugPug
15th Sep 2011, 19:28
Is Mark & Track any good? I never felt the need to have it with the radar you get for free.

unbeatableDX
15th Sep 2011, 20:28
Exactly as the fellow above me posted, in Detroit you get 200 or 300XP for nabbing two crates and making your way through the tunnel beside the Precinct.

QUOTE=Kodaemon;168]Yay, more XP exploits! :D

PugPug
15th Sep 2011, 23:24
The sprint speed (legs) and deep breathing (lungs, whatever the aug is called) augs are highly underrated, in my opinion. Sprinting faster and for longer periods is good in its own right for getting around, but really shines in boss fights.

Kiyanavasala
16th Sep 2011, 20:21
I may be wrong about the computer XP. Enemies may have to go Hostile before they lock their computers. I say this because I just cleared out the bottom floor area of the Police Station by luring the cops behind pillars with the Stun Gun and punching them in the face, and both of the computers that were formerly being used by officers sat at their desks logged straight in without me having to hack them.

I'm sure at least one became hackable after I blew all the cops there up with mines.

ekkmanz
17th Sep 2011, 04:15
Found this out during playing around with turrets in "Smash the states"

You can throw the turrets in Electrical sparks and the turret will explode. Be warned that the explosions can kill you too if you get too close (e.g. dropped it right from your hand to your feet). I guess it can applies to bots too but I don't remember there is such a environment set-up that allows this to happened in-game.

Romeo
17th Sep 2011, 04:38
Found this out during playing around with turrets in "Smash the states"

You can throw the turrets in Electrical sparks and the turret will explode. Be warned that the explosions can kill you too if you get too close (e.g. dropped it right from your hand to your feet). I guess it can applies to bots too but I don't remember there is such a environment set-up that allows this to happened in-game.
Yeah, there isn't one unfortunately.

beerotaur
18th Sep 2011, 17:35
- For those who haven't tried the wonderful see-through-walls augmentation - that aug reveals so much more than just enemy soldiers. Try it!

- Might be obvious, but when doing a silent long-range kill/takedown, try to drop the enemy when he passes behind cover, so the others don't see the body. Why worry about dragging the body, when a well-timed shot can drop him where you want him to end up? :D

- This wasn't obvious to me until it was pointed out: remember the Aim Stabilizer aug that reduces aiming penalties while moving? That same aug stabilizes your aim when you look through a weapon scope. Your aim is completely steady when you pick the second level of that aug. Damn you, Eidos. I avoided that wonderful aug for a long time because of the lacking description.

"This augmentation also reduces the sway when you look through a weapon scope. When you pick this augmentation the second time, the sway is completely eliminated ."
Fixed.

- Try hacking a turret, set it to target enemies, then grab the turret and walk around with it. The turret is the lawnmower. Enemies are the grass.

- Don't bother hacking that level 5 office room door if the room has glass walls. Pick a crate and hurl it through the glass. Or use a silenced weapon to smash the glass.

- I'm pretty sure that cameras that are eliminated with EMP grenades do not raise an alarm.

Onylra
18th Sep 2011, 19:16
With heavy-lifting aug an enemy corpse makes a terrific thrown weapon, I have killed four guys with one corpse, knocking them over like skittles.

Also, why drag a body to hide it, when you can throw it onto the nearest roof?

imported_BoB_
18th Sep 2011, 19:45
- For those who haven't tried the wonderful see-through-walls augmentation - that aug reveals so much more than just enemy soldiers. Try it!

Yep, try it in Chiron building for example :D

Painman
19th Sep 2011, 00:48
Give Letitia the bum 5 cans of Hot Devil beer... get her drunk :)

She'll give you the passcodes to Seurat's weapon stash in the alley.

MaxxQ1
19th Sep 2011, 00:54
Give Letitia the bum 5 cans of Hot Devil beer... get her drunk :)

She'll give you the passcodes to Seurat's weapon stash in the alley.

Actually, four cans is plenty. Did that on my second playthrough.

Painman
19th Sep 2011, 01:02
Ah, OK. I had a whole bunch of it in my inventory; musta miscounted. *hic*

MaxxQ1
19th Sep 2011, 01:03
Ah, OK. I had a whole bunch of it in my inventory; musta miscounted. *hic*

:D :thumb:

ekkmanz
19th Sep 2011, 04:11
- This wasn't obvious to me until it was pointed out: remember the Aim Stabilizer aug that reduces aiming penalties while moving? That same aug stabilizes your aim when you look through a weapon scope. Your aim is completely steady when you pick the second level of that aug. Damn you, Eidos. I avoided that wonderful aug for a long time because of the lacking description.

"This augmentation also reduces the sway when you look through a weapon scope. When you pick this augmentation the second time, the sway is completely eliminated ."
Fixed.

Completely agreed. When it's fully upgraded The tranq rifle really shines! Too bad I upgraded it really late in the game.

beerotaur
19th Sep 2011, 12:49
It occurred to me, what if the scope sway reduction is unintended behaviour (a bug), and that's why it's not mentioned -_-

imported_BoB_
19th Sep 2011, 13:39
It's just logical so not it's not a bug.

If you don't have any recoil anymore, it's because you would have "strong muscles" in your arms, and it would be the same muscles for keeping your weapon perfectly still.

Jason Parker
19th Sep 2011, 13:47
Is Mark & Track any good? I never felt the need to have it with the radar you get for free.

All the benefits of the "stealth" brain augs (mark and track, field of view cones, bigger radar) are made unecessary by the 3rd person cover's camera position. A "give me the real Deus Ex" mode that forced first person everywhere and removed the radar until getting the aug for it would be a real cool addition for a patch.

Kodaemon
20th Sep 2011, 15:42
With heavy-lifting aug an enemy corpse makes a terrific thrown weapon, I have killed four guys with one corpse, knocking them over like skittles.

Also, why drag a body to hide it, when you can throw it onto the nearest roof?

This just gave me an idea for the next time I get to the Alice Garden escape: knock out Van Bruggen and hurl him at the Belltower squad looking for him. Flying Dutchman!

Ashpolt
20th Sep 2011, 15:52
This just gave me an idea for the next time I get to the Alice Garden escape: knock out Van Bruggen and hurl him at the Belltower squad looking for him. Flying Dutchman!

I don't think you can touch him at all, can you? IIRC, all your interaction with him takes place either in a conversation or a cutscene.

But I like the way you think!

Kodaemon
20th Sep 2011, 16:03
You can! He doesn't just "exit, stage right" and disappear after the dialogue like a lot of characters, he actually runs to his pod in realtime.

Ashpolt
20th Sep 2011, 16:35
You can! He doesn't just "exit, stage right" and disappear after the dialogue like a lot of characters, he actually runs to his pod in realtime.

Oh yeah. You're going to have to react damn quickly though, he gets in there pretty fast!

(Note: I'm only talking about after Belltower attack - I have no idea what happens when he send you away to get the ID card if you haven't already got it before talking to him.)

Kodaemon
20th Sep 2011, 16:44
Me neither. I have to remember to forget about it next time.

Jason Parker
20th Sep 2011, 17:00
In fact it's pretty easy he's not that fast i took him down lethaly on my current playthrough to see if anything changes on how tong acts towards you upon returning to him the second time in Hengsha. After all he told you to not let van Bruggen get hurt or you'd regret it if you talk him into giving you his location.

Romeo
20th Sep 2011, 18:06
You win at life. :D

Oh yeah. You're going to have to react damn quickly though, he gets in there pretty fast!

(Note: I'm only talking about after Belltower attack - I have no idea what happens when he send you away to get the ID card if you haven't already got it before talking to him.)
You can't the first time you speak with him. The conversation ends with him closing the door to his pod. Trying to re-open the pod only elicits a brief line from him, until you complete his task.

PugPug
20th Sep 2011, 19:05
You win at life. :D

You can't the first time you speak with him. The conversation ends with him closing the door to his pod. Trying to re-open the pod only elicits a brief line from him, until you complete his task.

Guess I missed that chance, since I didn't give him a weapon. What can I say? I wasn't going to give him one I've modded, and I was a little mad at him for being involved. So I snuck out without harming any of the Belltower thugs.

What task? I thought he was just like, "Here's your card, don't kill me."

As for my "thing I wish I'd known earlier," it took me almost an entire playthrough to realize you could capture more than one node at a time when hacking, as long as you have a path to it. I was waiting for one to finish before going after another.

You know, an actually useful aug for the hacking analyze tree would have been an option to automatically select capture/fortify with a right click, or something. It doesn't really fit in with "analyze," but making it one click instead of two would be huge.

imported_BoB_
20th Sep 2011, 19:18
G

It's because you already picked up the card in the room near the prostitute. If not, you go to the Alice Pods and he tells you that he needs a TYM card.

On the other subject, you can just shoot near him anyway, and he will duck like any others NPCs and won't run back to his pod. The first time, this is what happened and I didn't even shoot anything.

Romeo
20th Sep 2011, 19:24
Guess I missed that chance, since I didn't give him a weapon. What can I say? I wasn't going to give him one I've modded, and I was a little mad at him for being involved. So I snuck out without harming any of the Belltower thugs.

As for my "thing I wish I'd known earlier," it took me almost an entire playthrough to realize you could capture more than one node at a time when hacking, as long as you have a path to it. I was waiting for one to finish before going after another.

You know, an actually useful aug for the hacking analyze tree would have been an option to automatically select capture/fortify with a right click, or something. It doesn't really fit in with "analyze," but making it one click instead of two would be huge.
Yeah, as BoB said, you nabbed the card early, that's why. Normally he sends you off to fetch it.

I was thinking either that, or a pre-determined "boost" when hacking nodes/directeries/bonuses based upon the Analyze level (Say, you start at 10% done for first level, and start at 20% done at second level). Would allow you to go for more captures after you've already tripped the security system.

Onylra
20th Sep 2011, 22:34

It's a great segment for bodies-as-weapons; you can stay unseen on the upper floors and bombard the guys below with the corpses of civilians and taken-down soldiers. Like a make-shift mortar.

Pinky_Powers
20th Sep 2011, 23:08
Yeah, as BoB said, you nabbed the card early, that's why. Normally he sends you off to fetch it.

Indeed. My second play through I made sure to clean out the hotel before anything else, as you can nick both the TYM Employee Pass and Hive Membership there. So much better than back-tracking for that damn hacker! And nothing beats walking in the front entrance to the Hive without dropping a thousand credits. :cool:

itsonyourhead
20th Sep 2011, 23:12
Indeed. My second play through I made sure to clean out the hotel before anything else, as you can nick both the TYM Employee Pass and Hive Membership there. So much better than back-tracking for that damn hacker! And nothing beats walking in the front entrance to the Hive without dropping a thousand credits. :cool:

I thoroughly explored the Huan Hua hotel before entering the hive. However, I must have picked up the hive membership card and been distracted, cause the next time I played I forgot that I had it. I thought it was a glitch. He just let me right in. I was like, "Wait... that was way too easy".

imported_BoB_
20th Sep 2011, 23:15
And nothing beats walking in the front entrance to the Hive without dropping a thousand credits. :cool:

Punching the entrance guy and taking his card beats it :D (you don't pay either though ^^)

Pinky_Powers
21st Sep 2011, 01:19
Punching the entrance guy and taking his card beats it :D (you don't pay either though ^^)

:D :thumb:

ilweran
21st Sep 2011, 08:06
I found the Hive membership card but couldn't pass up on the vent crawling opportunity.

beerotaur
22nd Sep 2011, 19:32
It's just logical so not it's not a bug.

If you don't have any recoil anymore, it's because you would have "strong muscles" in your arms, and it would be the same muscles for keeping your weapon perfectly still.

(not recoil, just simple aiming was the issue)

I've realized that, in games, I don't choose augs or perks or whatever by their names, I choose them by their descriptions. It's a formed habit. The description specifically stated that it reduces penalties while moving and shooting, and nothing else. As logical as it may seem that it would also stabilize the gun while NOT moving, I now remember later thinking that "Maybe the developers didn't include anything to stabilize the scope because they felt a dead-steady scoped aim would make the game too easy." A fleeting thought. Was it a logical assumption? Perhaps, but my sin was to make too many assumptions in the first place. Soon after I even googled for a hack to stop the scope from swinging, looking for a "cheat". Ha!

Romeo
30th Sep 2011, 03:54
Bobby Bao is the only character in game that has a Praxis kit on his person. As he is not a "necessary" NPC, he can be knocked out and robbed as a result.

Pinky_Powers
30th Sep 2011, 04:09
Bobby Bao is the only character in game that has a Praxis kit on his person. As he is not a "necessary" NPC, he can be knocked out and robbed as a result.

Sweet. Who is Bobby Bao?

MaxxQ1
30th Sep 2011, 05:09
Sweet. Who is Bobby Bao?

The bartender at The Hive that is *not* a Tong.

PugPug
30th Sep 2011, 05:13

Doesn't he give it to you if you complete his mission?

Though I guess if you don't have hacking or you piss him off, that's a good option, too...

Pinky_Powers
30th Sep 2011, 05:28
Turning The Hive hostile and taking them on in combat is not my idea of fun. Those dudes be crazy!

Romeo
30th Sep 2011, 06:54
Doesn't he give it to you if you complete his mission?

Though I guess if you don't have hacking or you piss him off, that's a good option, too...
Only if you do it his way. If you refuse the quest, refuse to help Jaya or murder her to collect the aug, he wont give it to you. This leaves you with the opportunity to take it by force.

Sweet. Who is Bobby Bao?
He's the bartender who sends you to collect "debts" owed to Tong.

Turning The Hive hostile and taking them on in combat is not my idea of fun. Those dudes be crazy!
Even if you lack the stealth aug, you can do a silent takedown "in the bar" with him. This will cause the Harvesters to go alert, however, they're too irrational to consider crouching down in the cubby hole to Bao's right. Eventually they get bored and go back to their places.

Pinky_Powers
30th Sep 2011, 17:19
Even if you lack the stealth aug, you can do a silent takedown "in the bar" with him. This will cause the Harvesters to go alert, however, they're too irrational to consider crouching down in the cubby hole to Bao's right. Eventually they get bored and go back to their places.

Nice to know. :thumb:

Nopileos
1st Oct 2011, 17:12
You will laugh, but until today I did not know that you can disable mines.
When capslock is active you sneak slower and mines do not explode.

Kodaemon
1st Oct 2011, 18:25
Yeah, took me a while to find that out too, not made easier by the fact it works exactly the opposite to how disabling LAMs in DX1 works. I guess they changed the mechanic to make it more manageable when using a gamepad.

Pinky_Powers
1st Oct 2011, 18:45
You will laugh, but until today I did not know that you can disable mines.
When capslock is active you sneak slower and mines do not explode.

Yes, figuring that out took me longer than I'd like to admit, as well. One day I just sat there thinking about it. I refused to believe shooting the mines was the only option. So I worked it out... found the "walk" key, and crouched slowly toward them.

imported_BoB_
1st Oct 2011, 19:26
Yeah, took me a while to find that out too, not made easier by the fact it works exactly the opposite to how disabling LAMs in DX1 works. I guess they changed the mechanic to make it more manageable when using a gamepad.

Well, it makes a lot more sense too actually ^^

Kodaemon
1st Oct 2011, 19:52
Not disputing that, it's just one of those "damn you, muscle memory!" situations ;)

auric
2nd Oct 2011, 12:04
Fire extinguisher: Can be replaced back into its slot on the wall.

Remotely Detonated Explosive: Can be used to distract enemies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAZi0Fd-L4E
Go to 3:25 to see someone move backwards & bump on an object.
:D

Originally Posted by Painman
Crossbow: Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but I noticed that I can kill 2 people with one crossbow shot if they're lined up right.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNF0L8LvS0Y
Go to 1:50 for full action
2:20 for 2 headshots with 1 bolt. Have to pause to see there's 2 people in line.

Wall Smash Aug: Can KO a person nearby the wall. KO Double-T before while I snap he's guard's neck in the same room.

Soften effects all nodes around the soften node. Even the one you hacked before it. :)

Bridge over electric waters: If the ground is electrified, the player can use two crates to cross it without taking damage. Simply set-up one crate in front of the other, then move to the front crate. Turn around, bring it in front of you and move on to it. Continue on until the section has been crossed. This can be very useful for entering the police lock-up if the player doesn't have EMP protection.
Dang, that video is not uploaded yet, can't show u a living example :D
I found this out on my 1st playthrough to get to O'Malley
I was curious what's in that room & didn't want to aug up that resistance. :D

auric
2nd Oct 2011, 12:37
Here's some visuals :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsQ7MMo5rBM

Shoot down doors:

Fire Extinguisher replaced:

KO while on cover mode:

Automatic Unlocking Device: can hack computers for you
Haven't tried on a security terminal though & whether it allows u to control bots without aug upg.

Boxes to bypass electrical floor:
Don't use wood boxes, it'll break. Strange that metal boxes works, lol

auric
2nd Oct 2011, 21:05
Energy bars 2 & above can recharge without candy if an aug being used doesn't drain a bar entirely.
:)

JCpies
3rd Oct 2011, 05:20
Automatic Unlocking Device: can hack computers for you

No **** Sherlock. :p

Romeo
3rd Oct 2011, 08:43
Auric, I'm not quite sure if you were joking or not, but a couple of those are obvious...

AUD is designed to hack computers.

The game tells you an energy pip will recharge if it wasn't completely drained.

auric
3rd Oct 2011, 10:51
No **** Sherlock. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsQ7MMo5rBM

Auric, I'm not quite sure if you were joking or not, but a couple of those are obvious...
80% what's written on this thread were obvious to me from the start, so what's ur point?

AUD is designed to hack computers.
AUD can hack keypads & computers

security computers most likely can but how much u can do with it I haven't check it out yet.

So ya, everything I post is for real. Unless u mean "Things I didn't know"
than no.

I know these things, I just posted it for other people. So if ur asking how come I didn't know about these things, don't worry, I know them from the start I just didn't see anyone posted it yet, so I did it just to add to the list. I'm sure there re some who didn't know about it.

Take JCpie for example, he didn't know. Unless he's lying or being sarcastic or was trying to point out something else entirely.
:)

InGroove2
3rd Oct 2011, 21:58

this is not true... I looted another NPC for a praxis kit later in the game... i believe at Tai young.

Romeo
4th Oct 2011, 02:04
this is not true... I looted another NPC for a praxis kit later in the game... i believe at Tai young.
I was very thorough the first play through, but I'm approaching TYM for the second time. Where abouts?

Painman
4th Oct 2011, 08:49
Oh.

If you have the heavy lifting aug, you can nudge heavy objects around by walking into them. This costs you no battery power.

Romeo
4th Oct 2011, 17:58
Oh.

If you have the heavy lifting aug, you can nudge heavy objects around by walking into them. This costs you no battery power.
I had thought that was posted already, but if not, EVERYONE LISTEN TO THIS FELLOW. Not only does it cost no energy, but nudging makes very little noise in comparison to lifting then dropping an object. Double-win!

anunnaki
4th Oct 2011, 19:50
For those who wanted aliens in HR there is a reference I found. When you enter the sewers from the harvesters hideout on your way to the docks, talk to the thug near the gun seller furthest in the corner. If anyone else has found any i'd like to know.

Kiyanavasala
4th Oct 2011, 22:44
I had thought that was posted already, but if not, EVERYONE LISTEN TO THIS FELLOW. Not only does it cost no energy, but nudging makes very little noise in comparison to lifting then dropping an object. Double-win!

Triple-win, as you don't run the risk of enemies seeing your feet underneath the object you're lifting.

Pinky_Powers
4th Oct 2011, 22:54
Triple-win, as you don't run the risk of enemies seeing your feet underneath the object you're lifting.

Sounds like the best thing in the world then!

Romeo
5th Oct 2011, 00:22
Until you accidentally tip over the vending machine, and are subsequently hosed. =P

Like the guy at TYM says, vending machines are dangerous, man.

InGroove2
7th Oct 2011, 21:19
I was very thorough the first play through, but I'm approaching TYM for the second time. Where abouts?

honestly i dont remember. i went back and looked around and I can't find it. I'm positive though that there is another person with a praxis kit on him and am pretty certain it's a belltower guy. sorry i can't be more specific.

Romeo
8th Oct 2011, 03:29
honestly i dont remember. i went back and looked around and I can't find it. I'm positive though that there is another person with a praxis kit on him and am pretty certain it's a belltower guy. sorry i can't be more specific.
Alright, I'll keep an eye out. I spent today doing burnouts rather than playing, but my save is just at TYM now. If I find him I'll update my post.

Romeo
23rd Oct 2011, 08:49
If you're climbing a ladder and you grab a crate (Or any holdable object) it will hover in front of you. The minute you attempt to climb or descend the ladder, the object will be dropped, often through an inaccessible part of the level.

auric
23rd Oct 2011, 09:16
If you're climbing a ladder and you grab a crate (Or any holdable object) it will hover in front of you. The minute you attempt to climb or descend the ladder, the object will be dropped, often through an inaccessible part of the level.

Sounds useful for bringing things down, not up :D

U can also jump & grab the ladder but they use same animation of him grabbing the ladder, lol
but it looks ok, not too weird.

Romeo
23rd Oct 2011, 19:09
Sounds useful for bringing things down, not up :D

U can also jump & grab the ladder but they use same animation of him grabbing the ladder, lol
but it looks ok, not too weird.
I used that trick to save alot of time in Heng Sha. Jump most of the way up the ladder, then grab it for the last second and climb over.

Ianthe
24th Oct 2011, 01:57
Free RPG Games (http://www.nowrpg.com) and Free MMORPG List (http://www.popmmo.com) are Online Games (http://www.anyonlinegames.com)