PDA

View Full Version : Wayne Haas conversation completely random?

Keiichi81
4th Sep 2011, 07:05
I'm starting my second playthrough. The last time I went through, I persuaded Haas to let me into the police precinct by Crush'ing him 4 times. Now I'm trying to do the same thing, but I'm not getting the same results. Or, more correctly, I got the same result once (the first time I tried) but then I screwed up and got caught hacking a terminal, loaded my previous save and now I can't get him to let me through the door again.

In both cases, I've got the CASIE aug (but didn't use the pheromones) and in both cases I just kept using Crush on him until he broke down and let me through the door. Now, however, he just keeps alternating between either telling me that I blew my last chance with him (locked out permanently) or telling me to come back later, with varying dialog segments throughout.

What's the deal? Is this conversation just completely random? I've been repeating it for about 40 minutes without another success, although several times it's seemed like he was close (if the persuasion meter is anything to go by). I can't figure why the same selections would be returning such wildly differing results.

Kodaemon
4th Sep 2011, 07:35
You have to actually pay attention (GASP!) to what he's saying and pick your responses accordingly.

Pinky_Powers
4th Sep 2011, 07:37
All the social boss battles have a randomizing system so that it's not about memorizing the answers but reading your opponent.

It's a lot more fun without the CASIE aug. :)

Fox89
4th Sep 2011, 10:16
All the social boss battles have a randomizing system so that it's not about memorizing the answers but reading your opponent.

It's a lot more fun without the CASIE aug. :)

True. Unfortunately, in some conversations the CASIE aug gives you more dialogue options! Which is a bit of a shame really and for me, makes it a must-have. :)

Brockxz
4th Sep 2011, 10:32
True. Unfortunately, in some conversations the CASIE aug gives you more dialogue options! Which is a bit of a shame really and for me, makes it a must-have. :)

yes, and sometimes CASIE gives you ability to convince person to reveal things you won't be able without it. For example detective Chase reveals code for safe.

lhaymehr
4th Sep 2011, 10:45
Not really. I met such selfpitty dweebs before and they're completely random and unstable. I got a kick out of that conversation I gotta say.

Pinky_Powers
4th Sep 2011, 18:37

Yeah, that does bother me. It makes sense, but it bothers me. I hate the CASEI aug cause it takes away from the natural, intuitive struggle to manipulate your target, but without it, there's certain things you can't get.

Brian175
4th Sep 2011, 18:53
Hating the CASIE aug is like hating making your character charismatic in more traditional roleplaying games.

Fox89
4th Sep 2011, 18:58
Hating the CASIE aug is like hating making your character charismatic in more traditional roleplaying games.

If there were two types of CASIE to choose from it'd be fine. I want to use the pheromone 'convince' stuff for additional dialogue, but I don't want all that stuff flashing up on my screen telling me how I am doing in the argument. Having those two as separate augs that you could get either or both of would be much better.

Pinky_Powers
4th Sep 2011, 19:05

It's really, really not.

Other games don't have these wonderful social battles that can be won by visually observing and listening to your opponent. I like to do that organically. The CASIE aug turns it into a mechanical process of numbers and graphs.

Speechcraft in traditional RPGs does not do that, it simply unlocks additional dialog options. The CASIE aug essentially does that as well. But it also does the ugly thing.