PDA

View Full Version : Hengsha Appreciation

pringlepower
4th Sep 2011, 01:43
This is just to say THANK YOU Eidos for all the hard work they put into Hengsha (and I guess by extension the other hub). It is by far the most beautiful environment I've seen in a game in a while.

When I landed there and opened up the map, my first reaction was "wow", this place is huge. It makes Detroit look like a backwater village. 5 levels??? And by then I had the Icarus aug so I just jumped off the helipad onto street level and again was amazed by the level of detail Eidos put into this place. Bicycles, fruit dealers, graffiti, rising steam, advertisements, noodle bars, it was all amazing.

And the Chinese! As a Chinese guy I can definitely appreciate the time they put into this. I was expecting some one-liners in Chinese, but whole conversations between NPCs in authentic Mandarin? And English spoken in GOOD accents? No more "in da fresh"? Lovely. Even the street signs and graffiti in Chinese.

Personally i've never been against the idea of a two-tiered city, even if it is a bit unrealistic. Even if you are though, once you look up at the floof, it is a very impressive sight (especially seeing the aircraft flying under it). Very scifi, very cool. Haven't been to Upper Hengsha yet but I'm sure I'll be delighted with the view there too.

Just beautiful.

Pinky_Powers
4th Sep 2011, 02:00
I second the appreciative cry for Hengsha. Just beautiful. Really excellent work all round! :thumb:

unbeatableDX
4th Sep 2011, 02:16
yes heng sha was excellent.
what i liked about heng sha-
1. it looked beautiful. and looking up when i first arrived made me go WOW
2. it was realistic(in a sense),
3. it was big! perhaps a little too big
4. i could almost smell those noodles. wanted some
5. the hive was also damn cool

what i thought heng sha was missing-
1. needs more NPCs that you have full-blown random conversations with, try to sell you stuff, try to attack you like the dealers in dx1 hong kong. although on my second visit to heng sha i was surprised when i was approached by a man trying to blackmail me.
2. needs more secret areas like underwater tunnel in dx1 hong kong & the little vent in the elevator shaft to jocks apartment & jocks sniper nest & all the rest.
3. a tad more variety in the level overall.
4. background music that stood out a little more
5. did not like how the game was mainly based around the hubs, with only a few missions that took you elsewhere.

pringlepower
4th Sep 2011, 02:19
yes heng sha was excellent.
what i liked about heng sha-
1. it looked beautiful. and looking up when i first arrived made me go WOW
2. it was realistic(in a sense),
4. i could almost smell those noodles. wanted some
5. the hive was also damn cool

what i thought heng sha was missing-
1. needs more NPCs that you have full-blown random conversations with, try to sell you stuff, try to attack you like the dealers in dx1 hong kong. although on my second visit to heng sha i was surprised when i was approached by a man trying to blackmail me.
2. needs more secret areas like underwater tunnel in dx1 hong kong & the little vent shaft in the elevator to jocks apartment & jocks sniper nest & all the rest.
3. a tad more variety in the level overall.
4. background music that stood out a little more
5. did not like how the game was mainly based around the hubs, with only a few missions that took you elsewhere.

I think the background music was fine. It wasn't as catchy as DX's Hong Kong tune, which still remains my fave song from that game, but that's like all the music in DXHR: mainly ambient, with a few audio cues thrown in.

Personally, after Fallout, Age of Empires, Deus Ex and a variety of other games that have butchered the Chinese language, this city hub was an amazing change of pace.

unbeatableDX
4th Sep 2011, 02:26
I think the background music was fine. It wasn't as catchy as DX's Hong Kong tune, which still remains my fave song from that game, but that's like all the music in DXHR: mainly ambient, with a few audio cues thrown in.

Personally, after Fallout, Age of Empires, Deus Ex and a variety of other games that have butchered the Chinese language, this city hub was an amazing change of pace.

yeah but it didnt have to be in your face like DX1, or unnoticable like DX:HR- it could have met in the middle like vampire:bloodlines chinatown- [url]vJDwOK8Ke7Y

if it dont work for you then-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJDwOK8Ke7Y

a track like that would have been PERFECT!

McCann really let me down :(

DisaFear
4th Sep 2011, 08:48
Let me join the Heng Sha appreciation club, I loved it too

Painman
4th Sep 2011, 09:13
A nod to the original game by having random chinamen say to you, "I was walking here!" would have been nice. I dunno why I fixate upon that. I guess it seems like such a strange thing to say. One of the endearing quirks of the original for me.

But yeah, Hengsha was well done. Multilayered and complex. Took me a few hours of running around to get the layout.

pringlepower
4th Sep 2011, 09:14
Oh yeah, in case you guys were wondering what some of the Chinese text was.

Around signs and adverts it's the usual stuff: Old Long's Fruit Store, Drug Store, Realtor's etc.

The graffiti is more interesting. One you may have figured out says "Belltower get the hell out" the other, which is just two words long, says "Wake up!". Looks like there's some hidden Chinese seditionists as well out there

JCpies
4th Sep 2011, 09:32
"Um goi jie guo"

ZakKa89
4th Sep 2011, 11:12
I loved the vertical gameplay. Icarus landing system! :D
I didn't feel restricted at all in this area, definitely my favourite location in the game.

JCpies
4th Sep 2011, 11:21
I love Hengsha there's so much detail and atmosphere. I'm happy with chinese language since it makes it more realistic, plus like the Op said, they have proper conversations.

LkMax
4th Sep 2011, 15:52
The first time I went to Hengsha I was like... O___O
Amazing atmosphere and map design. The airplane traffic below the Upper Hengsha was a nice touch too.

Dr_Bob
4th Sep 2011, 16:11

uHQZNNajxOk

ym-mQlanzHE

Here's the thing: the music in Deus Ex 1 is considered to be more memorable because of its melodic nature, whereas I consider the score for Human Revolution to be much more fitting and more suitable in all areas. Also, you don't hear the loop in the Human Revolution tracks.

ZakKa89
4th Sep 2011, 16:56
when I first got into hengsha I did nothing else but walking, jumping, dropping with the icarus landing system and getting myself lost on purpose. Listening to the conversations, break into shops, exploring etcetera. I think I finally started a quest after an hour of fooling around.

Painman
4th Sep 2011, 17:02
I actually tried to stay focused at first and follow the main plot, but it wan't long before my insatiable desire for virtual Parkour took over.

unbeatableDX
5th Sep 2011, 17:33
I actually tried to stay focused at first and follow the main plot, but it wan't long before my insatiable desire for virtual Parkour took over.

yeah all in all it was great. just a shame the music didnt enhance the experience properly, for me anyway.

Rindill the Red
5th Sep 2011, 17:57
Mirror's Edge 2 -- Now takes place in DX:HR's Heng-sha

imported_the_guy
5th Sep 2011, 18:16
Speaking of city hubs, I didn't see any of those advertisements that were meant to be in there, y'know, the ones streamed from the internet? Is it just me of did anyone else notice this?

unbeatableDX
5th Sep 2011, 18:22
yeah i heard about mcdonalds ads & all sorts, never saw anything...

Artfunkel
5th Sep 2011, 18:26
Speaking of city hubs, I didn't see any of those advertisements that were meant to be in there, y'know, the ones streamed from the internet? Is it just me of did anyone else notice this?

The ad-downloading DLL is there, but presumably they haven't switched it on yet.

There's a hacked ad DLL that does nothing which you can find online. :) I'm now prepared for the not-so-great advertising switch on.

joebarnin
6th Sep 2011, 00:15
Hengsha was brilliant - best level/zone in any game ever, IMHO. I spent huge amounts of time just exploring.

Rindill the Red
6th Sep 2011, 00:47

Maybe they are for when DX:HR goes free 2 play.

JacobBHE
6th Sep 2011, 11:27
I have only read the op's post so don't know if this is half way through a conversation or not but, just wanted to say I agree re Hengsha. I'm intending on writing my own take on the game once I've finished it, and Hengsha is in line for much love ;)

jkruse
6th Sep 2011, 18:06
The atmosphere and settings within Hengsha were really close to how I pictured the super metropolis in the Neuromancer series.

Kodaemon
6th Sep 2011, 18:17
Chiming in here: Heng Sha is glorious. Superb atmosphere, fantastic vertical design... and @unbeatableDX: the music was perfectly Blade Runner.

KingNL
6th Sep 2011, 18:19
The amount of detail in this cityhub blows any other game out of the water.

Pinky_Powers
6th Sep 2011, 19:36
I just wish there were more secrets in the two city hubs. They are both amazingly crafted with lots of little areas to explore, but very rarely is there anything to actually find. They need more optional content.

ScrappyT421
6th Sep 2011, 20:05
It is amazing city. Gives me the Bladerunner vibe. Jumping down from a tall building and then using the Icarus Fall system to stun a guy made me lol. :lmao:

pringlepower
6th Sep 2011, 23:58
I just wish there were more secrets in the two city hubs. They are both amazingly crafted with lots of little areas to explore, but very rarely is there anything to actually find. They need more optional content.

Lol well a "secret" is that the backroom of every fruitdealer's stand, even if there's absolutely nothing in it, gives you the Traveler 100 xp bonus. Always thought that was a little weird.

unbeatableDX
7th Sep 2011, 00:05
Lol well a "secret" is that the backroom of every fruitdealer's stand, even if there's absolutely nothing in it, gives you the Traveler 100 xp bonus. Always thought that was a little weird.

you telling me all them stalls were fruit dealers? wtf? needs more variety and optional content as pinky said. and was there any chickens hanging from hooks lol? i did see chickens in cages i think.

pringlepower
7th Sep 2011, 00:45
you telling me all them stalls were fruit dealers? wtf? needs more variety and optional content as pinky said. and was there any chickens hanging from hooks lol? i did see chickens in cages i think.

Okay fruit dealers, noodle bars, etc. Basically any store with a back room you should go into for 100 xp. It's pretty random.

There are DUCKS hanging from hooks. Chinese people do not hang chickens from hooks. DUCKS.

unbeatableDX
7th Sep 2011, 00:59
Okay fruit dealers, noodle bars, etc. Basically any store with a back room you should go into for 100 xp. It's pretty random.

There are DUCKS hanging from hooks. Chinese people do not hang chickens from hooks. DUCKS.

LOL sorry bro, blame the video game industry.

Rainbow6Team
7th Sep 2011, 00:59
Too bad there was no upper Hengsha,would have been nice to see the bright,clean side of that city.

unbeatableDX
7th Sep 2011, 01:03
Too bad there was no upper Hengsha,would have been nice to see the bright,clean side of that city.

i pray for DLC intergrated into the game that takes you there on your second visit to heng sha. this alone will make me replay the game many more times, as long as there is a couple of main missions in the dlc hub aswell. id even buy it for £15/$20. what say you EM/forum?

MonkeyLungs
7th Sep 2011, 01:10

I agree with most of what you said but not this. It was not too big. It has an amazing illusion of size and scope on playthrough 1 but as one becomes more familiar with it, the true size of the map becomes more and more obvious ... it really isn't big enough, nor are any of the maps. However, they are skillfully created and on first playthrough pull off an illusion of much greater size masterfully.

unbeatableDX
7th Sep 2011, 01:43
I agree with most of what you said but not this. It was not too big. It has an amazing illusion of size and scope on playthrough 1 but as one becomes more familiar with it, the true size of the map becomes more and more obvious ... it really isn't big enough, nor are any of the maps. However, they are skillfully created and on first playthrough pull off an illusion of much greater size masterfully.

agreed. i only had done one playthrough when i said that i think. its just the right size. but i stick by all the rest i said. it did need to be it bit more open spaced though its too cramped. so whats your response to my DLC question- dont you really want to see the main game extended?

MonkeyLungs
7th Sep 2011, 02:44
I would like to see an expansion yeah ... or something like an extended director's upgraded version with all the hubs. Something that takes them a year or so to make and is substantial but I think they would just make the next game instead. They put together a lot of tech and a big team for this game I'm thinking they want at least one more title to come out this console gen.

I have my gripes about the game but they are overshadowed by the well executed gameplay and the strong deus ex vibe. I would like more responsiveness/reactivity from the story and characters to the way players play the game.