PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone rekcon there will ever be a 'Deus ex' Movie in the future?

Jenson
31st Aug 2011, 18:29
Like many deep and popular game franchises we see them transformed onto the big screen...I think deus ex would be no exception. It has the realistic and compelling themes/subjects that peer into people interests and relate to current world issues. i reckon it would make a cool film.

How would people feel if there were ever to be a movie, and who would direct/produce/write it?

JCpies
31st Aug 2011, 18:32
CGI Square Enix movie would be win.

Agent Denton
31st Aug 2011, 18:36
There was one in the works back in 01 - 02 with Matt Damon speculated to play JC and John Travolta speculated to play Paul. The movie development ceased when Ion Storm closed it's doors. :(

Jason Parker
31st Aug 2011, 18:37
Depends on the succes of the Mass Effect Movie I guess. As much as for gaming also for movies Sci-Fi always is a gamble for the studios as it is somehwat a niche genre and only every once in a while a good Sci-Fi movie also is good enough to be a great commercial success. A movie based upon a Sci-Fi game is double the gamble because you don't want to piss of the game's fanbase and at the same time have to deliver a Sci-Fi movie that can also apeal to people not knowing the game or not being huge Sci-Fi Enthusiasts. But the story is good and developed enough by now to deliver a good movie script. Maybe play it smart and wrap a story around yet fairly unknown but related characters in the world of Deus Ex and turn that into a movie. For instance Pauls adventures and discoveries prior to Deus Ex leading him to joining the NSF.

But as stated in the beginning: The planned Mass Effect Movie will be somewhat of a milestone and decide wether movies based upon good games will be the next big thing after turning good and loved comics into movies.

EDIT: Before anyone jumps at me. I am fully aware that there already have been movie adaptions of games but none of them was based upon a game that delivered a quality story like Mass Effect and Deus Ex do. And most of them were either awful abominations of the underlying game (anything Uwe Boll's done so far was utter bull**** and was more a try to make fun of the game's fan than a serious try at catching the games story and atmosphere) or not realy that succesful on a commercial viewpoint, though I do like the Resident Evil movies as they in my opinion perfectly catch the visual atmosphere of the games. But Resident Evil doesn't have much of a story. The game itself basically was just classical Zombie Movies turned into a game leading to just another Zombie Movie franchise being made. Though they're still nice to watch.

Agent Denton
31st Aug 2011, 18:39
Film adaptation

A film adaptation based on the game was originally announced in May 2002 by Columbia Pictures. The movie was being produced by Laura Ziskin, along with Greg Pruss attached with writing the screenplay. Peter Schlessel, president of production for Columbia Pictures, and Paul Baldwin, president of marketing for Eidos Interactive, stated that they were confident in that the adaptation would be a successful development for both the studios and the franchise.[62] In March 2003, during an interview with Greg Pruss, he informed IGN that the character of JC Denton will be "a little bit filthier than he was in the game." He further stated that the script was shaping up to be darker in tone than the original game.[63] A theatrical release was scheduled to occur sometime in 2006. It was purported that Willem Dafoe would star in the film, though his role was not specified.[64] The Internet Movie Database reported that production was cancelled in May 2004, and the film profile is no longer listed. IGN, however, listed it in their Games-to-Film Frenzy II in October 2004 and is still listed as "in development" in their Games to Film listing.[65][66]

From the Wiki.

L0neWolf
31st Aug 2011, 18:43
why not
Neuromancer's movie will come out in a couple of years btw

Reven
31st Aug 2011, 19:10
CGI Square Enix movie would be win.

Square making CGI movies is what nearly bankrupted them almost a decade ago which lead to the Enix buy out. So one thing i know for sure is that SE would never attempt that again and with the way they are slowly sliding into the red you would be lucky to even see CG in their next game.

AlexOfSpades
31st Aug 2011, 22:07
Square making CGI movies is what nearly bankrupted them almost a decade ago which lead to the Enix buy out. So one thing i know for sure is that SE would never attempt that again and with the way they are slowly sliding into the red you would be lucky to even see CG in their next game.

That's kinda bad news, as their movies were really cool.

I guess they should stop making crappy Final Fantasy sequels.

Reven
31st Aug 2011, 22:16
I was livid when i found out they were making a FF 13 sequel and delaying FF versus 13 to make way for it. It's almost like they don't care anymore and are activly double daring themselves to see how many crappy games they can make before they do bankrupt.

hiroprotagonist
31st Aug 2011, 22:16
why not
Neuromancer's movie will come out in a couple of years btw

I own a copy of the Neuromancer PC game, which has an announcement on its packaging that states there's a Neuromancer movie coming soon. The game is from 1988. Just sayin'...

balanced
31st Aug 2011, 23:37
The film would have to be quite different to be worth watching. Deus Ex at the moment has little emotional expression from the lead character. And frankly little draw for any kind of empathy or care as to what happens to him. But that's ok in a game. In a film with you as an observer the characters need to be cared about or somehow attached to in an identifiable way.
For a start the shades would have to be removed from the actor. Perhaps only used for some periods of action.
If they could do it like Blade-runner it would be quite interesting.

Nexus_6
31st Aug 2011, 23:42
Considering that video games are often bastardised when adapted to film, I'm not sure if I'd want to see a DX movie. It's my belief that video game movie adaptions are dying off as a whole, because video games are becoming more and more cinematic that adapting them to film becomes simply redundant.

Ragequit
1st Sep 2011, 00:42
I honestly think we are going to see a video game crash like in the past, there are simply SO MANY video games being released and developed out there, be it on PC's/Mac's, on the phone or consoles, and can't forget about tablet's. The amount of gaming in everyday life is becoming ridiculous, I feel as if we will hit a breaking point soon

L0neWolf
1st Sep 2011, 07:29
I own a copy of the Neuromancer PC game, which has an announcement on its packaging that states there's a Neuromancer movie coming soon. The game is from 1988. Just sayin'...

natali's working on it
http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=neuromancer+movie

jtr7
1st Sep 2011, 07:51
It should be a choose-your-own-adventure movie with multiple paths and endings.