PDA

View Full Version : DX:HR = DX Reboot???

Agent Denton
31st Aug 2011, 16:55
So I got to thinking about this, now all the ground work has been laid out for the Denton's to emerge, would it be feasible, depending on how HR performs, to do a complete reboot of the franchise? Maybe do an updated DX 1 and incorporate some of the things that worked in HR? Take downs for example? Mainly, I would like to see a rebooted franchise to rid us of that atrocity that was to be Invisible War. Talk about missed opportunities all round on that one...... JC becoming a benevolent dictator???? Would this work?

CarpeNukemXVIII
31st Aug 2011, 16:59
I can see it happening down the line, but I'm sure the next DX is going to continue Jensen's story for at least 2 more games before jumping ahead to re-tell JC's story. I would personally love to see the story itself retold, but not a direct remake of DX1. Even still, I'd like that to happen down the line.

Agent Denton
31st Aug 2011, 17:07
I hope this game sells well enough to warrant a continuation. I don't care if it's Jenson or Denton as both are equally bad ass to me. Even if Jenson's augs are Beta and I can only cloak for a few seconds at a time.

cqc_batman
31st Aug 2011, 17:16
Although deus ex 1 is already a great game, I would love to see that game remade using the deus ex human revolution game engine and design. I know it would be phenominal. Everything would be updated but the world would remain true to the original with possible new areas. that would make my day.

Agent Denton
31st Aug 2011, 17:19
I just want to be rid of that disaster that passed for a sequel. Hell I thought Project Snowblind felt more like DX that Invisible war did.......

MaxxQ1
31st Aug 2011, 17:31
So I got to thinking about this, now all the ground work has been laid out for the Denton's to emerge, would it be feasible, depending on how HR performs, to do a complete reboot of the franchise? Maybe do an updated DX 1 and incorporate some of the things that worked in HR? Take downs for example? Mainly, I would like to see a rebooted franchise to rid us of that atrocity that was to be Invisible War. Talk about missed opportunities all round on that one...... JC becoming a benevolent dictator???? Would this work?

While in some ways, I would like to see Deus Ex redone, in the end, I don't think it would work. Also, if it *is* redone, I would *not* want the takedowns as used in HR. I would like to see proper melee as implemented in the original, where sneaking up behind someone and trying to take them out carries a risk of missing. With takedowns as implemented in HR, half the enjoyment of knocking someone out is gone - you only need to sneak up on them. After that, there's no risk of missing or just making a bad hit.

That said, I have no other issues with "melee" as it is in HR.

Also, if DX is rebooted, I'd rather have the entire game in first person (or, in keeping with the "choice" ethos of the game, a first or third person toggle). While the FP/TP switches in HR aren't as jarring as I thought they might be, I still prefer full FP.

hazard001
31st Aug 2011, 17:39
I'd like to see more of Jensen during the time of the original. Have the stories paralell and influence each other in a you-had-to-play-the-original-to-get-the-underlying crossover.

mad825
31st Aug 2011, 17:41
It is a reboot, Jean-Fran├žois Dugas himself said it at the E3 interviews...And the same was said time and time again.

seriously, people were keeping track of this game? like **** they were.

Agent Denton
31st Aug 2011, 17:43
It is a reboot, Jean-Fran├žois Dugas himself said it at the E3 interviews...And the same was said time and time again.

I must not have caught that interview. Well that is good news nonetheless. I never heard anyone officially confirming a complete series reboot. I would love to see DX 1 in updated graphics. HOT DAMN!!!!

Reven
31st Aug 2011, 17:47
If there was to be a Deus Ex 4 then they should move on to the time of Paul denton during the early years of UNATCO and deal with the beginnings of the conspiracy in the 2030's 40's.

Tale
31st Aug 2011, 17:54
If there was to be a Deus Ex 4 then they should move on to the time of Paul denton during the early years of UNATCO and deal with the beginnings of the conspiracy in the 2030's 40's.

I want to see the statue of liberty attack. Yeah, yeah, UNATCO did it. But I'm sure it could be expanded into it having been a base for a resistance group that they attacked.

Messire
31st Aug 2011, 18:28

To me, the conspiracy Deus Ex is dealing with started with Adam Weishaupt. (actually, it's even waaaay earlier than that if you get all the insights from the story. After that, you are right as there is a conspiracy within the conspiracy, the one you're talking about. But I'm one to think the storyline is richer than that. You got the Bible feeling, right?

"It's big, it's Kepler big, Rosetta Stone big, Adam!"

Even Sarif's subtext tends to imply this. I mean, did anyone get the "Jesus Christ, Adam!" Gross'n' funny character that one.

Now my question is, was JC (Jesus Christ) an augmented one? (I don't want to hurt anyone beliefs, we're talking about a game!) That's the kind of things that makes the game really "DeusExy" to me. No boundaries in terms of scenario, whatsoever. And it succeeds where MGS fails (way over the top, nippon style, totally irrelevent to the core scenario. Still I absolutely loved the shadow moses episode)

Now about Paul Denton. I absolutely looooove your idea, Reven. Anything about PAUL anyone? Paul the Pharisian, Paul the defector, Nero burning Rome/UNACTO blowing up some statue?

Symbolism, anyone? Damn, it all comes together so easily!!!

Ghostface
31st Aug 2011, 18:34
It would be cool to pick three different beginnings of deus ex based on your actions in HR

Erogath
31st Aug 2011, 21:14
They can feel free to fill in gaps during any other time line, but as much as I'd like to see DX1 remade with newer graphics/animations and play styles... I don't want them to remake the game, because they will take too many liberties with the game and it won't be the same. I'd rather keep my old game the way it was than 'reboot' it into something prettier but ultimately less.

Quillan
31st Aug 2011, 21:19
I want to see the statue of liberty attack. Yeah, yeah, UNATCO did it. But I'm sure it could be expanded into it having been a base for a resistance group that they attacked.

I seriously thought, before this one finally released, that this game was going to end with a news report of the NSF blowing up the Statue of Liberty and the founding of a new international anti-terrorist force to combat them.

chabbles
31st Aug 2011, 21:19
i want more!

MaxxQ1
1st Sep 2011, 05:31
I seriously thought, before this one finally released, that this game was going to end with a news report of the NSF blowing up the Statue of Liberty and the founding of a new international anti-terrorist force to combat them.

Shortly after HR was announced 4 years ago, there was a lot of speculation on how it would tie into the first game. I had hopes for seeing the destruction of The Lady, but those were quashed when it was revealed that the game takes place 25 years prior to the events of DX. In the DX bible, it's stated that the Liberty attack took place roughly three years before the events of DX, so I didn't think HR would take place over about 22 years or so.

On a good note, that leaves a lot of room for EM to come up with a fourth or fifth game leading up to DX - maybe even one having Paul as the protagonist and following his change from loyal UNATCO agent to NSF sympathizer - he even mentions a nice little "failed" assassination attempt on a Triad leader in Hong Kong that might make for an endgame sequence that would segue nicely into his dialogue with JC on the Liberty Island docks at the beginning of DX.

Reven
1st Sep 2011, 10:40
It's about time to get these out again.

http://tritium-sand.com/gallery/diary/term_6/DX4_titlepage.jpg
http://tritium-sand.com/gallery/diary/term_6/Deus_Ex_4_01.jpg
http://tritium-sand.com/gallery/diary/term_6/Deus_Ex_4_02.jpg
http://tritium-sand.com/gallery/diary/term_6/Deus_Ex_4_03.jpg
http://tritium-sand.com/gallery/diary/term_6/Deus_Ex_4_04.jpg
http://tritium-sand.com/gallery/diary/term_6/Deus_Ex_4_06.jpg

ilweran
1st Sep 2011, 12:27
They can feel free to fill in gaps during any other time line, but as much as I'd like to see DX1 remade with newer graphics/animations and play styles... I don't want them to remake the game, because they will take too many liberties with the game and it won't be the same. I'd rather keep my old game the way it was than 'reboot' it into something prettier but ultimately less.

Sometimes I think I'd love it if DX1 was remade, then I remember Tomb Raider Anniversary and the T-Rex... and we already know from DX:HR that the devs feel an inexplicable need to include boss fights.

JCpies
1st Sep 2011, 13:44
Sometimes I think I'd love it if DX1 was remade, then I remember Tomb Raider Anniversary and the T-Rex... and we already know from DX:HR that the devs feel an inexplicable need to include boss fights.

Deus Ex 1 had "boss fights" except they didn't confine you. That's my one gripe, I don't hate the boss fights that much, just that they're un-avoidable and un-escapable.

Agent Denton
1st Sep 2011, 13:48
It's about time to get these out again.

http://tritium-sand.com/gallery/diary/term_6/DX4_titlepage.jpg
http://tritium-sand.com/gallery/diary/term_6/Deus_Ex_4_01.jpg
http://tritium-sand.com/gallery/diary/term_6/Deus_Ex_4_02.jpg
http://tritium-sand.com/gallery/diary/term_6/Deus_Ex_4_03.jpg
http://tritium-sand.com/gallery/diary/term_6/Deus_Ex_4_04.jpg
http://tritium-sand.com/gallery/diary/term_6/Deus_Ex_4_06.jpg

These are spectacular, what are these from??

Quillan
1st Sep 2011, 14:07
Shortly after HR was announced 4 years ago, there was a lot of speculation on how it would tie into the first game. I had hopes for seeing the destruction of The Lady, but those were quashed when it was revealed that the game takes place 25 years prior to the events of DX. In the DX bible, it's stated that the Liberty attack took place roughly three years before the events of DX, so I didn't think HR would take place over about 22 years or so.

On a good note, that leaves a lot of room for EM to come up with a fourth or fifth game leading up to DX - maybe even one having Paul as the protagonist and following his change from loyal UNATCO agent to NSF sympathizer - he even mentions a nice little "failed" assassination attempt on a Triad leader in Hong Kong that might make for an endgame sequence that would segue nicely into his dialogue with JC on the Liberty Island docks at the beginning of DX.

True, forgot about the timeline. However, if you read the newspapers you find in the Picus offices, the main story is about the rise of global terrorism, and it ends with a suggestions of a new United Nations force to fight terrorists. I thought it was nice groundwork.

Random
1st Sep 2011, 14:26
So I got to thinking about this, now all the ground work has been laid out for the Denton's to emerge, would it be feasible, depending on how HR performs, to do a complete reboot of the franchise? Maybe do an updated DX 1 and incorporate some of the things that worked in HR? Take downs for example?

I hope you're not being serious. That whole takedown rubbish is one of the worst things about Human Revolution.

froghawk
1st Sep 2011, 15:35
DX1 with takedowns is a big no-no, awful idea

Reven
1st Sep 2011, 15:38
These are spectacular, what are these from??

It's from here but i can't find the year he drew them. http://blog.tritium-sand.com/

And here is the thread i got them from.http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=80886&page=5

MaxxQ1
1st Sep 2011, 15:39
True, forgot about the timeline. However, if you read the newspapers you find in the Picus offices, the main story is about the rise of global terrorism, and it ends with a suggestions of a new United Nations force to fight terrorists. I thought it was nice groundwork.

Yeah, I thought that was a nice touch as well. And in this case, I can actually see it taking 20-odd years to implement the idea, knowing the sloth-like speed at which bueracracies can move. That said, in the DX intro, there's a line that goes (paraphrased):

Page: UNATCO?

Simons: Formed by executive decision after the bombing of the statue.

That strikes me as inferring that UNATCO hadn't even been thought about until *after* The Lady was destroyed. However, in this case, I *might* be able to overlook that little inconsistency...

Reven
1st Sep 2011, 15:46
UNATCO could have been around a lot longer as a small SPEC-OP's branch of the UN. But was formed (or reformed) by executive decision after the bombing of the statue into a publicly known world police force. Even the troopers talk like they had been reorganized at some point.

Agent Denton
1st Sep 2011, 16:16
I hope you're not being serious. That whole takedown rubbish is one of the worst things about Human Revolution.

I thought the take downs were what made Adam's arm augmentations really shine. I suppose you could have had them used as a weapon like the Dragon sword, but I really appreciated the in game animations. Especially when his hand opened up and broke necks. Just my opinion though, and not everyone is going to like the same things about the game. I got to thinking how bad ass it would be to see JC in a similar fashion.

Agent Denton
1st Sep 2011, 16:26
It's from here but i can't find the year he drew them. http://blog.tritium-sand.com/

And here is the tread i got them from.http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=80886&page=5

Thank you

ilweran
1st Sep 2011, 16:47
Deus Ex 1 had "boss fights" except they didn't confine you. That's my one gripe, I don't hate the boss fights that much, just that they're un-avoidable and un-escapable.

I think the comparison with Tomb Raider Anniversary still stands. I remember the first time I saw the T-Rex in the original game and it was terrifying - but once you found that cave to the right and got above him.... not what I think of as a typical boss fight. The remake, for all it's prettier graphics turned it into a pretty bog standard boss fight, with a geriatric looking T-Rex that I felt sorry for rather than wanted to kill. In fact I stopped playing it shortly after that point, even though I'd been enjoying it up until then.

If they remake DX1 they'd probably get rid of the killphrases and Gunther and Simons at least will be fought in locked rooms with guns, ammo and exploding crates sprinkled around. And maybe they'd make Page a boss as well.

I feel I need to point out now that I am really liking DX:HR. Loving it, in fact. Apart from the boss fights I only have one or two minor quibbles so far that don't really bother me at all.

Agent Denton
7th Sep 2011, 21:26
I think the comparison with Tomb Raider Anniversary still stands. I remember the first time I saw the T-Rex in the original game and it was terrifying - but once you found that cave to the right and got above him.... not what I think of as a typical boss fight. The remake, for all it's prettier graphics turned it into a pretty bog standard boss fight, with a geriatric looking T-Rex that I felt sorry for rather than wanted to kill. In fact I stopped playing it shortly after that point, even though I'd been enjoying it up until then.

If they remake DX1 they'd probably get rid of the killphrases and Gunther and Simons at least will be fought in locked rooms with guns, ammo and exploding crates sprinkled around. And maybe they'd make Page a boss as well.

I feel I need to point out now that I am really liking DX:HR. Loving it, in fact. Apart from the boss fights I only have one or two minor quibbles so far that don't really bother me at all.

Good God I hope they would not go that route and scratch the kill phrases. Laputin Machine was EPIC!

El_Bel
7th Sep 2011, 22:22
I don't trust EM with the original.

Agent Denton
7th Sep 2011, 23:01
I don't trust EM with the original.

Why do you say that? I thought they did a great job of introducing JC's or Paul's predecessor and all they had no story to go off of except what was in the first game. Taking something that is essentially already done and making it prettier would be nothing to it.

imported_BoB_
7th Sep 2011, 23:19
Honestly, I hope there won't be a next Deus Ex because basically, we know a lot of the story already. The idea of a Paul game would be interesting, but we already know that he was sent to kill Tong, and that he discovered the truth about Unatco, MJ12 and all. I mean, sure for people that are new to the franchise, it would be interesting and mysterious, but for us, not so much. It would be better than a simple remake of the first one though.

I hope that thanks to what they learned through this game, they will build a new franchise because they will have a lot more freedom about the construction of the global universe of it.
Deus Ex is too closed off now, after Invisible War, it's pretty much a mess, before Human Revolution, well there is nothing cyberpunk or in a interesting technological way to develop and between Human Revolution and the first one, not enough things to said IMHO (there is some holes, but everyone can imagine what they want with what we already know, we don't need a midichlorian plot if you know what I mean ^^)

Agent Denton
7th Sep 2011, 23:23
Man Bob, all I can say is I hope for a reboot, hell it's the cool thing to do now a days any way right? and that they forget Invisible War even happened. I know I did...... :)

Erogath
8th Sep 2011, 00:17
Why do you say that? I thought they did a great job of introducing JC's or Paul's predecessor and all they had no story to go off of except what was in the first game. Taking something that is essentially already done and making it prettier would be nothing to it.

That's the thing..they wouldn't just make it prettier.. it might start out that way but eventually someone's gonna do something and decide to start making changes, I can't think of one example of a remake that wasn't massively changed instead of just "prettied up".

mad825
8th Sep 2011, 00:33
Honestly, I hope there won't be a next Deus Ex because basically, we know a lot of the story already. The idea of a Paul game would be interesting, but we already know that he was sent to kill Tong, and that he discovered the truth about Unatco, MJ12 and all. I mean, sure for people that are new to the franchise, it would be interesting and mysterious, but for us, not so much. It would be better than a simple remake of the first one though.

I hope that thanks to what they learned through this game, they will build a new franchise because they will have a lot more freedom about the construction of the global universe of it.
Deus Ex is too closed off now, after Invisible War, it's pretty much a mess, before Human Revolution, well there is nothing cyberpunk or in a interesting technological way to develop and between Human Revolution and the first one, not enough things to said IMHO (there is some holes, but everyone can imagine what they want with what we already know, we don't need a midichlorian plot if you know what I mean ^^)
Yes and no.

If they decide to remake DX1 then it's going to be re-imagined. DX has already been rebooted and in fact the story is already completed if we are going on canon.

Despite the many references of DX1 in DXHR, DXHR is not a strict prequel and the references were to (and I quote)
Not to alienate DX fans