PDA

View Full Version : Exemplary job, thank you.

Frraksurred
31st Aug 2011, 16:33
Played through the game a couple times and watched the "Making of" documentary. Since then I have been contemplating what I wanted to say to the Devs... because this game accomplished no small feat and something beyond merely my critique and requests truly needs to be said.

I'm a vintage gamer, lol; a young 43 years of age. I am a Deus Ex vet and like many consider it to be one of the best games of all time. I was ridiculously excited when Eidos Montreal announced your first title would be DX3, but I was equally hesitant to get my hopes up. I made that mistake with Invisible War, a game that would have arguably been "ok" had it not claimed to be a sequel to Deus Ex. Still, I kept a close eye on your forums until the anticipation started to eat me and I had to redirect my focus elsewhere. It is almost hard to believe the wait is over and I've experienced this thing that has largely been a mystery the last three years. I must say, thank you for a job well done.

There are so many details in this game that are easy to take for granted. The level of animation in the augmentations, such as Barret's minigun and Jensen's blades. Not since the Iron Man movies have I seen such attention to detail in the mechanism movements. Not only do they behave in a manner that makes sense, they are implemented in a manner that holds water. The arms are not simply tacked on, there is noticeable framework added to the skeleton to support their more demanding functions.

The art style alone warrants recognition. Outside of having to create most of it from the ground up, it still has roots in the real world. The fashion, the armors, the augs, the architecture... they are all believable and polished. I love how enemy soldiers kept DX's "faceless" helmets, but brought them into a new century. I loved how Heng Sha felt futuristic, but still looked like a cramped Asian city. I loved visiting a facility that made literal a hole in the ocean.

One of the things I've never seen in modern games was Deus Ex' audacity to lecture me on my morality. When Paul Denton chastised me for using lethal force when I was sworn to uphold the peace it was like a snap back to reality. I never played the game as carelessly again, lol. I am grateful to see Human Revolution doesn't ignore my actions if shooting every Cop in the Police Station seems like a casual decision to me.

I could go on, and am tempted to, but for the sake of your eyes I'll wrap it up. Taking on Deus Ex as your first project was an audacious decision, and an amazing risk. You were obviously careful to craft a game that honored the fans, yet were confident enough to take some liberties and add to the experience. As a long time gamer and fan, I simply wanted to say thanks for breathing life back into a legendary IP. Thanks for honoring not only the franchise but each platform it was released on (I'm a PC gamer AND a lefty, for me to have no complaints... ok, well only minor complaints ;) is epic). There are other games I am intensely excited about yet to be released this year, but this game is already my solid choice for game of the year. Job very well done, I'm proud (if I can be such having no ownership in its making). Thanks again for all your efforts.

f4rsight
31st Aug 2011, 18:07
Played through the game a couple times and watched the "Making of" documentary. Since then I have been contemplating what I wanted to say to the Devs... because this game accomplished no small feat and something beyond merely my critique and requests truly needs to be said.

I'm a vintage gamer, lol; a young 43 years of age. I am a Deus Ex vet and like many consider it to be one of the best games of all time. I was ridiculously excited when Eidos Montreal announced your first title would be DX3, but I was equally hesitant to get my hopes up. I made that mistake with Invisible War, a game that would have arguably been "ok" had it not claimed to be a sequel to Deus Ex. Still, I kept a close eye on your forums until the anticipation started to eat me and I had to redirect my focus elsewhere. It is almost hard to believe the wait is over and I've experienced this thing that has largely been a mystery the last three years. I must say, thank you for a job well done.

There are so many details in this game that are easy to take for granted. The level of animation in the augmentations, such as Barret's minigun and Jensen's blades. Not since the Iron Man movies have I seen such attention to detail in the mechanism movements. Not only do they behave in a manner that makes sense, they are implemented in a manner that holds water. The arms are not simply tacked on, there is noticeable framework added to the skeleton to support their more demanding functions.

The art style alone warrants recognition. Outside of having to create most of it from the ground up, it still has roots in the real world. The fashion, the armors, the augs, the architecture... they are all believable and polished. I love how enemy soldiers kept DX's "faceless" helmets, but brought them into a new century. I loved how Heng Sha felt futuristic, but still looked like a cramped Asian city. I loved visiting a facility that made literal a hole in the ocean.

One of the things I've never seen in modern games was Deus Ex' audacity to lecture me on my morality. When Paul Denton chastised me for using lethal force when I was sworn to uphold the peace it was like a snap back to reality. I never played the game as carelessly again, lol. I am grateful to see Human Revolution doesn't ignore my actions if shooting every Cop in the Police Station seems like a casual decision to me.

I could go on, and am tempted to, but for the sake of your eyes I'll wrap it up. Taking on Deus Ex as your first project was an audacious decision, and an amazing risk. You were obviously careful to craft a game that honored the fans, yet were confident enough to take some liberties and add to the experience. As a long time gamer and fan, I simply wanted to say thanks for breathing life back into a legendary IP. Thanks for honoring not only the franchise but each platform it was released on (I'm a PC gamer AND a lefty, for me to have no complaints... ok, well only minor complaints ;) is epic). There are other games I am intensely excited about yet to be released this year, but this game is already my solid choice for game of the year. Job very well done, I'm proud (if I can be such having no ownership in its making). Thanks again for all your efforts.

+1

from little younger [only 7 years] fan.

And thats should be bolded imo

Taking on Deus Ex as your first project was an audacious decision, and an amazing risk.

But you made it !

GJ