PDA

View Full Version : If DeusEx like augmentations where real...

spheresus
31st Aug 2011, 14:45
What will your opinion be augmentations where available on par or better then the ones showcased in DeusEx? I really don't buy all those crocadile tears about humanity losing itself by becoming "robots". What makes a person human is his mind, his desires, his thoughts, his emotions. You can replace all your limbs with superior artifical limbs and you'll still be as human as the day you where born. The real danger comes is when you make changes (not enhancements) to the human mind/brain. If you tinker with fundamental values of desire, morality in the mind/brain then that's when you lose your humanity and become something else a perversion of yourself and this is where true corruption comes in to the very basic core of your being. Brain enhancement only enhances what you have not change it's nature so I don't see a problem with it.

I do think it needs to be regulated the same way firearms are regulated or the same way you need to qualify to drive a car or use a gun the only reason for this is because how easily a person can weaponize themselves by having super strength, resilience and speed. You don't want criminals or sickos running around all enhanced and stuff. Sure there will always be people who at first qualified to be enhanced turn bad and people will get hurt and killed for it but it's the same with every technology. Cars enhance how fast and far you can go but look at how many people die from car accidents of all sorts but no one says "ban cars" because the good of cars far outweigh the bad it will be the same with enhancements.

By the way I think the best ending is the "Darrow" ending, people need to know the truth have all the facts then decide from that where to go with augmentations.

Daedatheus
31st Aug 2011, 15:40
What will your opinion be augmentations where available on par or better then the ones showcased in DeusEx? I really don't buy all those crocadile tears about humanity losing itself by becoming "robots". What makes a person human is his mind, his desires, his thoughts, his emotions. You can replace all your limbs with superior artifical limbs and you'll still be as human as the day you where born. The real danger comes is when you make changes (not enhancements) to the human mind/brain.

Well you see, this is where a lot of the debate comes in. Many people believe that if you willingly sacrifice perfectly healthy body parts for new ones, you're willingly disposing of your humanity. What does it mean to be human? You've answered it yourself, but there would be a lot of deep philosophical debate on the question.

And if "The real danger ... is when you make changes (not enhancements) to the human mind/brain" you must realize that any addition, like those in the game, is a change. How do you know if it's affecting your actions or not? How do you know who or what might be able to control it? Some would even argue that working for things is part of the human condition, and that instant gratification of a neural enhancement is a step away from that.

Anyway, the debate would rage on...

Lurch
31st Aug 2011, 17:01
Many people believe that if you willingly sacrifice perfectly healthy body parts for new ones, you're willingly disposing of your humanity.

... and what has my humanity every done for me lately, aside from making me vulnerable to disease, injury, environmental hazards, aging, mental degradation and physical and social limitations of being a fat middle aged man.

I'd ditch this meat suit in a heart beat, if it meant I could be faster, tougher, stronger and invulnerable to hazards of modern day life.

Agent Denton
31st Aug 2011, 17:05
Just gimmie my damn prosthetics already. Not like Ghost int eh Shell though. That is a little too extreme for me. Making my mind prone to hacking is where I draw the line. I don't give a ***** how good the McKaffee and Norton firewalls are at the time. They don't work now so F THAT!!!

Tale
31st Aug 2011, 17:42
Many people believe that if you willingly sacrifice perfectly healthy body parts for new ones, you're willingly disposing of your humanity.

The concept of a humanity rooted simply in what is natural is one of no value.

Jenson
31st Aug 2011, 18:12
<Enter Cyber ***** joke here>

1helios1
31st Aug 2011, 18:59
i would be all for augmentation. but my specifications would be rather different. strength and speed are great. but they would have to be as dexterous and sensitive as my current limbs. i dont recall them talking much about sensor information from augments. but i would be very surprised if the skin on those augs is as sensitive as ours and still more surprised if the synthetic muscles have any sensors at all. the data we get from our limbs is extensive.

we have contact sensitivity and heat sensitivity from our skin and muscles. the hair on our body gives us all kinds of minute detail. pain sensitivity all the way to our bones. but there is still more. our body always knows the position of its limbs, the extension of its muscles, its orientation relative to the body.

its a lot of information, and having a brain designed to receive that information, i think any augmentation that did not supply all that data would always feel like a prosthetic rather then a part of me.

..and i dont want a prosthetic..that was what i was getting at.

Daedatheus
31st Aug 2011, 19:48
The concept of a humanity rooted simply in what is natural is one of no value.

I agree, and the points I suggested above weren't really my own.

I worry however about the limitations of the tech, because that would be a huge issue in the debate itself, but assuming equal to superior function to our natural bodyparts and minimal health risk (and no glial tissue buildup!) the only real limitations at that point would be financial and aesthetic.

My limb works fine - is it worth thousands upon thousands to do it, and would I end up regretting the procedure? Would I miss my original leg? There's no going back. This isn't like buying a car with a return policy at the dealership.

And the aesthetic. I mean, what would the ladies think when you strip down and you're half-machine? :D

Taking that point into a more serious vein, imagine the repulsion and discrimination people might incur if they were visibly augmented - and many people might only have these augments because of major accidents, not by choice, but would still experience a new type of racism. Yes, you can hide leg augs under pants, but like the aforementioned stripping down scenario, would you be afraid/self-conscious to engage in a physical relationship with anyone ever again? Even if you were confident in your new self, would others be as accepting when they were used to "pure" humans?

Hard to know. Would have been cool if HR was a bit more philosophical about all this...