PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Alpha Protocol

Mjesko
31st Aug 2011, 08:08
SPOILER

I think Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a great game with an amazing atmosphere IF you play a stealth character. I play a non-stealth character who uses the environment to fight against his enemies. It is challenging and fun, but it destroys the atmosphere in the FEMA facility and in the Tai Yong Medical headquarters.

In the FEMA facility you see many guards through the window of the elevator, but you encounter only a few of them if you trigger the alarm. The Tai Yong Medical headquarters are worse, because the data core is protected only by a few guards even if you trigger the alarm.

Alpha Protocol had the same problem. The atmosphere was great if you played a stealth character, but triggering the alarm had no consequences in missions, where it should have made the mission VERY difficult.

I think games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution or Alpha Protocol should have either missions that fit to stealth and non-stealth characters OR missions that fit to stealth characters. The weapon shipment sidequest in Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a very good example for a mission that fits to stealth and non-stealth characters, because the gang has limited resources.

Red alert in the Tai Yong Medical headquarters:
- Many heavy armed guards patrol through the level
- Security doors limit the movement of the character until they are destroyed
- The alert level remains at red until the end of the mission

ufo8mycat
31st Aug 2011, 08:21
I have to agree.

Theres hardly any consequences if a guard spots you and the alarm goes off and all you have to do is stay in cover long enough and the alarm goes off and the guards go back to their usual routine, like they have short memories like a gold fish.

When I first saw all the guards when I took the elevator down to the FEMA base, I was like "WHOA I ahev to deal/stealth my way past all those!?" and I got excited, but you hardly encounter many guards when you reach the bottom.

If you setoff an alarm there should be consequences
- More guards come out - reinforcements - guards with more powerful weapons.
- Have some doors close off therefore your option is to either find alternate route (vents) or hack the main security system to reopen the doors or something (which is heavily guarded)
- Have the alarm stay on until end of mission (Instead of suddenly going off as if nothing happened - when you wait in cover)

Doom972
31st Aug 2011, 09:21
The DX series is not Metal Gear Solid. It doesn't punish you for not being stealthy because stealth is optional. There is a set number of guards and no new guards will spawn out of nowhere because it will break immersion.

I don't know if you guys have any military experience but they used enough guards to cover those areas. In the FEMA facility you have to remember that they were getting out of there.

BTW, I understand Alpha Protocol is similar to DX but I never played it because I understand it's very buggy. Would you recommend playing the PC version of it?

Jason Parker
31st Aug 2011, 10:06
I went through Alpha Protocol twice. Nice story though measured by Bioware standarts it is almost mediocre with a tendency to being poor. Still the story's good enough to be from a Bourne or Bond movie. I personally didn't experience any bugs aside from the fact that it suffers from being a console port on the resource hunger side. If you get it at a discount it is well worth the buy (I think I got it on Steam at 10€). Kept me playing for 19 hours, so it is damn short.

Ashpolt
31st Aug 2011, 10:21
BTW, I understand Alpha Protocol is similar to DX but I never played it because I understand it's very buggy. Would you recommend playing the PC version of it?

I had a lot of fun with Alpha Protocol, but it's definitely not a very polished game, nor is it particularly long - I was playing stealthily, trying to avoid alarms wherever possible, and it only took me about 12 hours. One thing it's very good at is adapting to your choices - in fact, I'd say it does that better than any other game I've played. The middle section of the game consists of 3 (large) missions which can be tackled in any order you choose, so I was very surprised when I got to the second mission and had characters talking about what I'd done in the first one, even though I could've done the missions the other way round (if that makes sense!) It's still a structured story overall - the end mission is always going to be in the same place, with roughly the same reasons - but the amount of freedom it gave you and the way it seamlessly adapted to your choices before that was very impressive IMO.

On PC, there are a few issues stemming from its console roots - menus aren't very intuitive, the hacking minigame is needlessly clunky on mouse and keyboard - but it's not the worst port I've ever seen. The core gameplay is fine.

So to summarise: It's worth getting, yes. Maybe not for full retail price (though I paid that and don't feel cheated, tbh) but definitely for the price it is on Steam at the moment.

Aguacater
31st Aug 2011, 12:12
The DX series is not Metal Gear Solid. It doesn't punish you for not being stealthy because stealth is optional. There is a set number of guards and no new guards will spawn out of nowhere because it will break immersion.

I don't know if you guys have any military experience but they used enough guards to cover those areas. In the FEMA facility you have to remember that they were getting out of there.

What breaks the immersion for me is when I start a gun fight in one room in a military base, trigger a few alarms and kill a few people and then I take an elevator and everything is fine in the next floor, like they have no radios or something...I use stealth because it's the gameplay style I like, but also because doing what I mentioned before and it's unrealistic consequences totally breaks any sense of immersion.

You mention Metal Gear and in that case (atleast in 4) if you don't shoot diurectly at the radio of a guard and he discovers you he will alert the entire base which is what's supposed to happen.

Enraged Penguin
31st Aug 2011, 12:46
You mention Metal Gear and in that case (atleast in 4) if you don't shoot diurectly at the radio of a guard and he discovers you he will alert the entire base which is what's supposed to happen.Lol yeah that happened from MGS 2 onwards. That was a great feature. Watching them panic as they tried to call for backup on a smashed radio was priceless.

Mjesko
31st Aug 2011, 13:01
When I first saw all the guards when I took the elevator down to the FEMA base, I was like "WHOA I ahev to deal/stealth my way past all those!?" and I got excited, but you hardly encounter many guards when you reach the bottom.

Hehe yeah that was exactly what i thought, too.

I think the optional stealth part is the problem in the FEMA facility and the Tai Yong Medical headquarters. Before you trigger the alarm the number of guards to cover those areas is very good, but as soon as you trigger the alarm more guards would move to that area to find the intruder, because he can talk about what he has seen in the FEMA facility or access the data core in the Tai Yong Medical headquarters.

jliedeka
31st Aug 2011, 14:06
I played Alpha Protocol on the Xbox. After the mediocre reviews, I waited until I could get it for about $20 before buying. I actually liked it and didn't run into any bugs that I remember. I played through 3 or 4 times, mostly using stealth.

DXHR reminds me a lot of Alpha Protocol in the way it feels. Actually, if it were more cyberpunk, AP would be closer to Deus Ex than DXHR. In AP you can put points into weapons and other abilities.

MonkeyLungs
31st Aug 2011, 15:24
Alpha Protocol is a very fun game. DE:HR is a very fun too, and with much better production values than AP, however in AP the story reactivity is lightyears ahead of other games. Deus Ex is better than both of these games but I greatly enjoy all three.

Mjesko
31st Aug 2011, 19:37
Alpha Protocol is a very fun game. DE:HR is a very fun too, and with much better production values than AP, however in AP the story reactivity is lightyears ahead of other games.

Yep the dialogue options in AP are great, but i think the social boss fights in DEHR are very good, too.