PDA

View Full Version : Issues about hacking bonus

callyfish
31st Aug 2011, 04:49
Here is a FAQ which says there is some bonus exp from hacking computers.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/944089-deus-ex-human-revolution/faqs/62845
Which is
BASIC HACKING REWARDS:
.----------------.------------------------.-----------.
|NAME: |REQUIREMENT: |EXPERIENCE:|
|================|========================|===========|
|Script Kiddie |Hack a Level 1 device | 25 XP |
|Grey Hat |Hack a Level 2 device | 50 XP |
|Black Hat |Hack a Level 3 device | 75 XP |
|L33t Sk1llz |Hack a Level 4 device | 100 XP |
|Master Hacker |Hack a Level 5 device | 125 XP |
'----------------'------------------------'-----------'
But I some time get more from hacking computers besides that listed above.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-JcIXPgufItw/Tl27-dKuUMI/AAAAAAAAABs/YpaajnIeLh8/s800/1.jpg
I wonder if it is a bug or some hidden mechanism? Not happens every time, the picture was taken when hack Adam's own computer (lvl3) in his office. The Black Hat bonus had already displayed.

NKD
31st Aug 2011, 04:53
You can get bonus XP, credits, Stops, and Nukes, from hacking the optional data stores on a hacking grid. Jensen's computer as pictured there has particularly valuable datastores on it for XP.

callyfish
31st Aug 2011, 05:15
Thanks! I loaded and checked, Jensen's computer did have two lv5 datastores, that's where the exp came from. Just got the reward name "script kiddie" confused with the hacking bonus name.

Ronin_Denton
31st Aug 2011, 14:41
Mastering hacking, stealth and non-lethal takedowns get you more exp in this game than any other playstyle at the moment. All the bonus exp add's up over time, and with their being a limited number of praxis kit's to be found/purchased and no skills to improve, you need all the exp you can get since each 5000exp gives you a free praxis point to improve your augmentations or activate new one's. Maybe that will change if there is a patch or DLC that changes how the game play's for other playstyles or adds more content in the future. It's a great game, but it's seems that at the moment some playstyles are rewarded more than others.

ruminate
31st Aug 2011, 15:38
Mastering hacking, stealth and non-lethal takedowns get you more exp in this game than any other playstyle at the moment. All the bonus exp add's up over time, and with their being a limited number of praxis kit's to be found/purchased and no skills to improve, you need all the exp you can get since each 5000exp gives you a free praxis point to improve your augmentations or activate new one's. Maybe that will change if there is a patch or DLC that changes how the game play's for other playstyles or adds more content in the future. It's a great game, but it's seems that at the moment some playstyles are rewarded more than others.

Wrong way to look at it. Think of it like this:

You don't need to add any points into hacking to progress through the game. By not putting any points into it, you are saving yourself thousands of XP worth of Praxis Points. Those that want to spend time hacking will be rewarded with XP.

Its the exact same way with the stealth augments. Someone who doesn't care about stealth can ignore the extra 2-3 praxis points you gain throughout the game from bonus Ghost XP. Someone who does care will earn bonus XP that can be put into sneaking while running/jumping/sprinting.

Same with takedowns. Takedowns give more XP, and the XP can be spent on reducing the charge time of energy. This allows you to spend less time waiting for your energy to recharge to perform your next takedown.

Same with exploration XP and its augments.

Basically, you are rewarded for the playstyle of your choice. Don't want to do anything but massacre enemies in front of you? Thats fine. You'll recieve more than enough XP to help do what you want. Like to explore but hate stealthing? Thats fine, too. You'll recieve more than enough XP to help you do that. Like stealthing, but hate hacking? Same deal.

Jason Parker
31st Aug 2011, 17:41

In part this is surely to avoid the game from being forbidden. I am from Germany and I'm pretty sure if they had not emphasized the rewards in favor of non-lethal and non-combat gameplay the game wouldn't be allowed to be sold in the same version as for the US/UK. Our regulators are very strict nowadays when it is about violence in video games and it's surprising to see that DX:HR is allowed to be sold with the ability to kill civilians in it.

Erogath
31st Aug 2011, 21:41
Wrong way to look at it. Think of it like this:

You don't need to add any points into hacking to progress through the game. By not putting any points into it, you are saving yourself thousands of XP worth of Praxis Points. Those that want to spend time hacking will be rewarded with XP.

Its the exact same way with the stealth augments. Someone who doesn't care about stealth can ignore the extra 2-3 praxis points you gain throughout the game from bonus Ghost XP. Someone who does care will earn bonus XP that can be put into sneaking while running/jumping/sprinting.

Same with takedowns. Takedowns give more XP, and the XP can be spent on reducing the charge time of energy. This allows you to spend less time waiting for your energy to recharge to perform your next takedown.

Same with exploration XP and its augments.

Basically, you are rewarded for the playstyle of your choice. Don't want to do anything but massacre enemies in front of you? Thats fine. You'll recieve more than enough XP to help do what you want. Like to explore but hate stealthing? Thats fine, too. You'll recieve more than enough XP to help you do that. Like stealthing, but hate hacking? Same deal.

So are you telling me by not hacking everything in sight and doing take downs (doubles whenever possible) and building for an (just making stuff up) assault/stealth character would net the same exp in the end? show me how that kind of character will net me almost all of the 69 augments, because I really don't see it happening. No exp from datastores/hacking (computers, door locks, AND alarm panels), greater exp from a non-lethal take down versus any other kind of attack it's not possible. Right now I'm on my first play through and just getting through the port stage with over 170k exp and 80k credits with something around 48 of 69 augments and that's with knowing that I've missed several opportunities throughout the game by losing a chance to hack a door by coming around behind it and opening it, and not learning I could hack alarm panels until like the 3rd stage.

As for exploration and it's augments you don't even explain that one.

Look point is, with the hacking and social augments early on and a persistent methodology of checking everything and taking every route before leaving a stage, you can damn near max out augmentations. And let's face it there are plenty of pretty useless ones out there that can be skipped, even now I'm at the point where I'm just taking everything because the rest is pretty much useless.

ruminate
1st Sep 2011, 00:58
So are you telling me by not hacking everything in sight and doing take downs (doubles whenever possible) and building for an (just making stuff up) assault/stealth character would net the same exp in the end? show me how that kind of character will net me almost all of the 69 augments, because I really don't see it happening. No exp from datastores/hacking (computers, door locks, AND alarm panels), greater exp from a non-lethal take down versus any other kind of attack it's not possible. Right now I'm on my first play through and just getting through the port stage with over 170k exp and 80k credits with something around 48 of 69 augments and that's with knowing that I've missed several opportunities throughout the game by losing a chance to hack a door by coming around behind it and opening it, and not learning I could hack alarm panels until like the 3rd stage.

As for exploration and it's augments you don't even explain that one.

Look point is, with the hacking and social augments early on and a persistent methodology of checking everything and taking every route before leaving a stage, you can damn near max out augmentations. And let's face it there are plenty of pretty useless ones out there that can be skipped, even now I'm at the point where I'm just taking everything because the rest is pretty much useless.

Where in my post did I say they'd have the same XP in the end?

Think about it: You can complete every single sidequest and main objective without augments. If you don't hack, why would you want hacking augments?

Despite what the game says, if you do everything possible, you'll actually be able to max every augment. But thats a very gamey, OCD-like playstyle.

Erogath
1st Sep 2011, 01:22
You were implying that to give up something like hacking augmentations you could apply those experience points towards something else instead which would reward in some other fashion. What I'm saying is that will leave you lopsided and gimped as there is very little that other augmentations will reward you better in the beginning. Jumping you can skip as you can build bridges and ladders with boxes, and with the take down system you pretty much never need to use any combat augs.

And what does that even mean, it's 'gamey' You're saying it's OCD just because (and i'm certainly not the only one) want to actually PLAY the game? To do that a person actually has to play the game, not just slip through and do the minimum, if you want to do that then might I suggest a more linear game.

Doom972
1st Sep 2011, 01:39
I finished my Terminator-style playthrough yesterday. You can get everything you need by the middle of the game, more or less. BTW, you can still get the smooth operator bonus if you kill the enemies before they get a chance to use the alarm.

ruminate
1st Sep 2011, 02:06
You were implying that to give up something like hacking augmentations you could apply those experience points towards something else instead which would reward in some other fashion. What I'm saying is that will leave you lopsided and gimped as there is very little that other augmentations will reward you better in the beginning. Jumping you can skip as you can build bridges and ladders with boxes, and with the take down system you pretty much never need to use any combat augs.

And what does that even mean, it's 'gamey' You're saying it's OCD just because (and i'm certainly not the only one) want to actually PLAY the game? To do that a person actually has to play the game, not just slip through and do the minimum, if you want to do that then might I suggest a more linear game.

This is the third time I'm going to repeat myself. You don't NEED any augments. This includes hacking. 13 out of 68 augments affect hacking. Thats 65,000 XP that a hacker must acquire to end up with all the other augments that a non-hacker has.

And its OCD because you're being obsessive about gaining as much praxis points as you can; something you don't NEED in order to play the game. You realize you can open locked doors and terminals with the correct passcode, right? Or, in the case of doors, just shoot it open.

Ronin_Denton
1st Sep 2011, 21:38
To be clear, I never said you needed to spend praxis points to max out the AUGS that would improve your abilities in the three skills I mentioned, I only noted that the most exp could be gained by using the skills I mentioned whenever possible. No player needs to hack, stealth or use non-lethal takedowns to complete the game, I only said there is no way currently to get the exp you miss should you decide to not use those skills. You can stealth and do non-lethal takedowns without any Augs, though not as effectively as can be done with Augs that improve these skills. To master hacking does require points spent to improve this skill, though how many depends on your individual playstyle. I hope I have clarified my first post in this thread.