PDA

View Full Version : Should I get the CASIE aug?

pringlepower
31st Aug 2011, 03:40
Just a question to you guys who have the aug, or have finished the game.

I've heard that having the CASIE aug opens up new dialogue choices, quest rewards, and even plot and storyline elements that you simply cannot access without the aug, even if you pick all the right options. So obviously the social aug seems invaluable. I just have a few questions, mainly:

Does it make the "social boss fights" more about looking at numbers and stats than listening to the speaker? Is the aug really intrusive in those fights, making them too 'gamey'?

Also, how do the pheromones work?

Thanks

1helios1
31st Aug 2011, 04:05
my experience was that if you care about the outcomes of social interactions its pretty essential.

Cerulean Shaman
31st Aug 2011, 04:08
my experience was that if you care about the outcomes of social interactions its pretty essential.

What do you mean by that? I won every single social battle on my first try without the aug except for the last one at you know where. Those include the ones you may have to go out of your way to get.

I saw it as useless to be honest, the social battles are pretty easy to win.

pringlepower
31st Aug 2011, 04:15
Same. I'm doing well enough without the aug, and it feels more natural that way.

However, I heard there's parts of the game you can miss out on without CASIE, so I was wondering if it was worth getting for those. Sorry if my first question was confusing.

1helios1
31st Aug 2011, 04:23
a substantial number of social options arnt even available without the aug. thats all i mean.

Doom972
31st Aug 2011, 10:28
I suggest that you take this augmentation as soon as possible when you start a new playthrough and see for yourself. It has some amusing consequences when using the pheromones.

Nyysjan
31st Aug 2011, 10:39
I suggest that you take this augmentation as soon as possible when you start a new playthrough and see for yourself. It has some amusing consequences when using the pheromones.

personally i loved Maliks reaction when i used pheromones in my first trip to Hengsha. :D

Akon
31st Aug 2011, 10:44
It adds some flavor, some extra conversations at some npcs. But otherwise its unnecesary and doesn't open up any additional rewards I can recall, unless you count information as a reward.

ranmafan
31st Aug 2011, 11:28
But information IS power, and power is a good reward. ;)

Anyway, as far as I know, it cuts short several otherwise protracted conversations, and might convince people to give you a little extra on top of what you would otherwise normally get. It also makes boss-fight conversations much easier.

Enraged Penguin
31st Aug 2011, 11:30
It adds some flavor, some extra conversations at some npcs. But otherwise its unnecesary and doesn't open up any additional rewards I can recall, unless you count information as a reward.Well right off the top of my head I can think of one. You can use the aug to convince O'Malley to pay you half of what he owes you in advance to completing his task. Which essentially means that you can take 50% and then screw him over. It's a win win in that case.

Aguacater
31st Aug 2011, 11:37
I will definitely not be using it on my second playthrough. At times it seems like you simply get more information, but honestly, you can completely ignore what they are saying and simply choose the answer the UI tells you to, so yea it's easymode, but I still would do a run with it to see the extra dialogs.

pringlepower
31st Aug 2011, 23:20
Wait are the pheromones optional? Like is there a pheromone button you need to press?
Or does it all activate immediately?

Doom972
1st Sep 2011, 00:22
personally i loved Maliks reaction when i used pheromones in my first trip to Hengsha. :D

That's exactly what I though about when I wrote that post, but don't spoil it please.

Wait are the pheromones optional? Like is there a pheromone button you need to press?
Or does it all activate immediately?

You get a seperate button that would appear at appropriate times, along with the dialog options.

redial
1st Sep 2011, 01:28
I hate this aug. I listed reasons why in another thread, "social aug good or eh." Will link tomorrow when I'm at a comp that can copy and paste

Sharkey1337
1st Sep 2011, 01:42
If you want a nice challenge in navigating dialogue, avoid this aug. However, it does open up some social areas with rewards and stuff, and gives you an idea at how well you're doing in the "boss conversations"-there's a 'graph' that rises when you're persuading well, dips when you're not. Plus the pheromones are easy wins in conversations if you pay attention to what type of personality the person has.

JobeGDG
1st Sep 2011, 02:18
Does it make the "social boss fights" more about looking at numbers and stats than listening to the speaker? Is the aug really intrusive in those fights, making them too 'gamey'?

It absolutely does make it "gamey," which is actually kind of brilliant. It plays very well to some of the game's core conceits regarding augmentation in that, if you "upgrade" yourself in this way, you're no longer connecting with other human beings; you're looking at readouts and emitting pheromones like some sort of malicious robot air freshener. The readouts distract you and you may even become dependent on them, losing all interest in actually engaging with the NPCs you're verbally sparring with and what motivates them. The augmentation tricks you into behaving as a machine rather than as a human being. I watched my roommate fall into exactly this on his first playthrough, while I didn't take it (I didn't "fail" any conversations, and only came across one instance where it was clear the aug would've opened up unavailable avenues of discussion), and it even came back to bite him (in a way that was, for me as an observer, highly satisfying).

In this respect, the CASIE aug is a surprisingly subversive piece of game design, and arguably the most convincing piece of in-game evidence that Humanity Front might be right about a few things.

AlexDanger
1st Sep 2011, 04:16
It absolutely does make it "gamey," which is actually kind of brilliant. It plays very well to some of the game's core conceits regarding augmentation in that, if you "upgrade" yourself in this way, you're no longer connecting with other human beings; you're looking at readouts and emitting pheromones like some sort of malicious robot air freshener. The readouts distract you and you may even become dependent on them, losing all interest in actually engaging with the NPCs you're verbally sparring with and what motivates them. The augmentation tricks you into behaving as a machine rather than as a human being. I watched my roommate fall into exactly this on his first playthrough, while I didn't take it (I didn't "fail" any conversations, and only came across one instance where it was clear the aug would've opened up unavailable avenues of discussion), and it even came back to bite him (in a way that was, for me as an observer, highly satisfying).

In this respect, the CASIE aug is a surprisingly subversive piece of game design, and arguably the most convincing piece of in-game evidence that Humanity Front might be right about a few things.

+1, you absolutely nailed it. I signed up to the forums just to reply to your comment, it sent my persuasion bar through the roof ;)

I really hope in the (inevitable) DX sequels that the developers try and dream up more game mechanics that highlight the augmented 'experience' as it were, I feel it would be a good way for the series to grow. So if anyone at Eidos is reading this, pay heed! The CASIE augment is scratching the surface of some very deep and original gameplay opportunities IMHO.

I'd love to hear the devs talk about the development of the CASIE gameplay design, do they post in these forums?

nathanj
1st Sep 2011, 10:23
social "battle" lol are random so they dont play out the same way everytime......this is actually a good thing and an unexpected surprise. its only one praxis point and it does help because it lest you bypass some of the extra dialogue you would have to normally go through. while i enjoyed listening and reading everything on the first playthrough i was glad i had CASIE teh second time around cause it saved me some trouble. there are other augs that are far more useless and you wont miss one praxis point. :)

ocstew
1st Sep 2011, 10:27
CASIE does allow you to win certain battles that can't be won without it. Minor speeches in side quests for example.