PDA

View Full Version : How many copies have Deus Ex: HR sold so far?

Themundane
31st Aug 2011, 01:29
As the topic.

Personally, i bought 1 pre-order. Which would be delivered on the 26:th, and i couldn't be assed to wait so i bought another copy from the US so i could play on the 23:rd.

So, how many copies have Deus Ex sold so far?
Did Eidos break even, or just earn a **** load of money?

Rindill the Red
31st Aug 2011, 02:26
As the topic.

Personally, i bought 1 pre-order. Which would be delivered on the 26:th, and i couldn't be assed to wait so i bought another copy from the US so i could play on the 23:rd.

So, how many copies have Deus Ex sold so far?
Did Eidos break even, or just earn a **** load of money?

Publishers/developers are pretty tight lipped about this sort of thing. Sales charts should start popping up next week. Even if we know how many units sold we still don't know how much they spent on the game. It's a pointless exercise really. The best way to tell if a game did well is to wait and see if a sequel is announced (or if the studio is closing).

PalladiumGM
31st Aug 2011, 03:28
Looks like they're sneaking up on 350K units at the 1 week mark, but I doubt that is 100% accurate. It seems low to me.

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly.php?reg=America

Atlus
31st Aug 2011, 03:32
According to CVG, HR has nearly broken Invisible War's total sales. It's only 26,000 short. So it should be close to hitting the million copies sold range.

Arksun
31st Aug 2011, 04:17
Needless to say this will end up in endless retarded arguments on forums everywhere with people saying its a hit others saying its a complete and utter failure unless they at least triple what it cost to make and making comparisons to Call of Duty sales n blah blah blah blah. Same thing happened with Tron Legacy on the imdb boards, was soo stupid.

Thankfully I don't give a rats ass about sales, I just love the game for what it is.

jtr7
31st Aug 2011, 04:33
Unfortunately, if you want more games like it, sales are critical.

tarvis79
31st Aug 2011, 14:34

This is exactly right. Sales are vital. Lackluster sales are what drove the "improvements" in Invisible War and caused an 11-year wait for a real sequel. I don't really know what you can do to help boost sales after buying the game yourself except hound your friends and other forum users to buy it too, but you should do whatever you can if you want Thief 4 and, someday, a 4th Deus Ex.

JulianP
31st Aug 2011, 14:46
This is exactly right. Sales are vital. Lackluster sales are what drove the "improvements" in Invisible War and caused an 11-year wait for a real sequel. I don't really know what you can do to help boost sales after buying the game yourself except hound your friends and other forum users to buy it too, but you should do whatever you can if you want Thief 4 and, someday, a 4th Deus Ex.

Actually, Warren Spector has said numerous times that Deus Ex sold well. The "improvements" in IW were mostly thanks to Harvey Smith being an idiot.

Renegen
31st Aug 2011, 15:31
Weep for Dishonored then because Harvey Smith is now with Arkane. Yeah, Invisible War had a couple of key faults. But some were unfixable, eg. the tiny maps. The butchering of Liberty Island is unforgivable, they couln't even fit the Statue of Liberty.

I hope DX:HR sell a LOT, 2+ millions. I think it can, though Bioware games only sell a bit over 1 million and they keep getting pumped out.

Agent Denton
31st Aug 2011, 16:34
Well between Game Stop pulling PC copies and NOT having a midnight release, I am convinced the NEW WORLD ORDER is doing everything in their power to see this game does not succeed!!!!

Arksun
31st Aug 2011, 16:37

Maybe, but it still changes nothing about ones personal opinion of the game in question, or at least it shouldn't. Some people try to use it as an argument of game superiority, which then blows into the same kind of stupid arguments as Xbox vrs Playstation etc etc etc. Thats whats annoying.

Rindill the Red
31st Aug 2011, 18:36
Weep for Dishonored then because Harvey Smith is now with Arkane. Yeah, Invisible War had a couple of key faults. But some were unfixable, eg. the tiny maps. The butchering of Liberty Island is unforgivable, they couln't even fit the Statue of Liberty.

I hope DX:HR sell a LOT, 2+ millions. I think it can, though Bioware games only sell a bit over 1 million and they keep getting pumped out.

Too much profit and too little profit are both disastrous for a title. The only reason a consumer should be worried about profit is if they own stock in the company.

I trust Harvey with Dishonored, besides being tempered by Colantino (after all he performed best while tempered by Warren), he learned a lot from DX:IW and Blacksite: Area 51. In life you learn from failures, and Harvey's learned his lessons.

JCpies
31st Aug 2011, 18:51
He worked on Blacksite? I never liked that game much, but it was an interesting premise.

f4rsight
31st Aug 2011, 19:24
Sales for console systems will be critical ... lets not be stupid i saw ten of thousands ppl dling DXHR on torrents, any [nearly any] game on PC can be succesfully cracked . If DXHR sales good on consoles we are cool imo. [if DX4 will be console only i will finally need to buy one lol].

puzl
31st Aug 2011, 19:51
Steam never releases sales figures, but be assured that it has sold well. It's been at the top of the sales chart there since release.

jd10013
31st Aug 2011, 21:34
According to CVG, HR has nearly broken Invisible War's total sales. It's only 26,000 short. So it should be close to hitting the million copies sold range.

IW sold about 1.3 million. it actually sold more than DX. I believe DX sold about 1.2 million. But, DX had a much smaller budget, and was primarily a PC only title. the PS version was just a crappy port, and didn't come till quite a while after the PC version.

I think BS sold about 3 million or so copies, so hopefully HR reaches that.

lol
31st Aug 2011, 21:51
I don't care if they make the series even more simpler or start milking it like CoD...my wait is for dishonored and their products.Those guys make it sound like they can only make games like this,which is ok by me.