PDA

View Full Version : A Deus Ex movie

XXArch0AngelXX
31st Aug 2011, 01:09
So as you can see I finished Human Revolution, and this is my first time playing the Deus Ex series. And Im seriously impressed. Now some of you may not get this or some of you may have figured this out but probably unlike all games this one is poetic, and had an underlining theme than just shooting everything. This is why I think some one should make a movie BASED on Deus Ex. What do all you people think about this that have completed the game?

Themundane
31st Aug 2011, 01:17
Well, seeing your nick name im not at all surprised you started with the third game.
If you like Deus Ex: HR, you'll love the first game. (yes, it's even better than HR storywise. But HR brought a few new interesting elements into the game.)

Doom972
31st Aug 2011, 01:25
There was a plan to make a movie based off the first game. It didn't happen. I think there used to be a page for it in IMDB but I can't find it.
The plot of Deus Ex is too much even for a three hour movie.
I would like it if they make it into a high quality TV series though.

Themundane
31st Aug 2011, 01:36
I meant, the story in Deus Ex 1 is way better than the story of the third installation. (Not saying the third is bad, just that it's not as good).

I'd like to see a high budget movie series like LOTR or Harry Potter where they cover the story over several movies.
Like 4 movies which are 2 hours each ought to cover the most basic stuff from DE1 :lol:

Daedatheus
31st Aug 2011, 01:36
So as you can I finished Human Revolution, and this is my first time playing the Deus Ex series. And Im seriously impressed. Now some of you may not get this or some of you may not get this but probably unlike all games this one is poetic and had an underlining theme than just shooting everything.

Welcome to 2001, my friend. Glad you could join us. Nothing wrong with being late to the party, so long as you make it to the party :)

NapalmLemon
31st Aug 2011, 02:38
The prospect of hollywood touching Deus Ex quite literally frightens me to be honest.

Sponge
31st Aug 2011, 02:59
There's so much plot/background material you find out tangentially to the main "action" - clues in emails, on little datapads scattered around, overheard conversations - that 90% of what makes the game(s) so interesting would be lost in a movie format, I think. It *might* work as a TV series, but you'd have to find a way to deliver that information (that in-game we glean in little bits here and there by being OCD snoops) in ways that are interesting and believable to watch on a screen. It would be an interesting thought exercise, though, to come up with a breakdown of the game into episodes and seasons :)

Rindill the Red
31st Aug 2011, 03:13
As long as they get Warren on as producer and have Squeenix Visual Works provide the CG for the whole movie I'm totally game.

I think the Deus Ex setting/story CAN be adapted to the big screen.

After all, there have been quite a few good cyberpunk movies (Ghost in the Shell, Blade-runner); and the conspiracy movie has also done well (DaVinci code?).

Obviously, what is IN the movie will have to be artfully selective.

A trilogy of movies might be nice, but the trick with trilogies is to make sure each has a satisfying arc while still all being tied together amazingly.

Daedatheus
31st Aug 2011, 03:14
There's so much plot/background material you find out tangentially to the main "action" - clues in emails, on little datapads scattered around, overheard conversations - that 90% of what makes the game(s) so interesting would be lost in a movie format, I think.

This!

I don't know why people insist on holding up film as if it's the pinnacle of art and modern media.

Games have SO MUCH FARTHER to go in terms of their development as an artform, and frankly what they do is very different than film. Personally I find the medium of games far more exciting, commanding and ambitious.

Deus Ex is best as a game, and while I would definitely pay to see a movie, it would never capture what Deus Ex is about - not because it would miss topics or subjects important to the series - but because the Deus Ex experience is defined by its interactivity, its choices, its identity as a video game.

Now, Call of Duty, that's an example of a videogame trying to be a movie. Honestly I'm tired of games trying to do that, but at least if they released a Call of Duty movie it would be easy to match the style of the game. I mean, Michael Bay exists already right? Get him to direct it, he'll be right at home.

go1dfish
31st Aug 2011, 04:22
Two words: Political Climate.

There were plans to do a DX1 movie adaptation at one time, but they were scraped.

Personally, I don't think any major commercial studio (film or game) would have had the balls to put out anything with the DX1 plot anytime in the past 10 years.

Rindill the Red
31st Aug 2011, 04:26
Two words: Political Climate.

There were plans to do a DX1 movie adaptation at one time, but they were scraped.

Personally, I don't think any major commercial studio (film or game) would have had the balls to put out anything with the DX1 plot anytime in the past 10 years.

That would only have made it more poignant. Plenty of media have tackled conspiracies and terrorism since 9/11. In fact, I believe there has been a movie made about 9/11, several actually, including one about the plane that went down.

24 the TV show was all about terrorists and conspiracies.

Battlestar Galactica also likewise tackled some concurrent socio-policital issues.

Arksun
31st Aug 2011, 04:30
I'm wondering if even a 3 hour movie would be long enough to cover a story of the scope of DX1 or DX HR. Now if it was 12 part series with a very high budget and production values....

Nexus_6
31st Aug 2011, 04:49
A game as rich in atmosphere and story as Deus Ex seems ideal for a movie adaption, but I honestly cringe at the thought of the source material being left in the hands of contemporary Hollywood execs. If they did make a movie, however, I'd love to see it directed by Christopher Nolan or Ridley Scott.

It's my belief that video game movie adaptions are dying off as a whole, because video games are becoming more and more cinematic that adapting them to film becomes simply redundant.

Rindill the Red
31st Aug 2011, 06:04
A game as rich in atmosphere and story as Deus Ex seems ideal for a movie adaption, but I honestly cringe at the thought of the source material being left in the hands of contemporary Hollywood execs. If they did make a movie, however, I'd love to see it directed by Christopher Nolan or Ridley Scott.

It's my belief that video game movie adaptions are dying off as a whole, because video games are becoming more and more cinematic that adapting them to film becomes simply redundant.

Christopher Nolan is too action oriented. His movies are great and the action is layered with deeper intellectual and artistic levels, but I'd love something that isn't afraid to be more contemplative, quiet, and slower paced.