PDA

View Full Version : -_- ?? Is cloaking really this bad?

Shelledfade
31st Aug 2011, 00:22
So I just dumped a bunch of points into cloak and energy, only to find out it doesn't replenish itself over time, and the cloak drains very quickly.

I feel like cloak is practically useless.

I'm wishing I dumped points into armor upgrade or something useful.

Any way to respec points in this game?

Daedatheus
31st Aug 2011, 00:32
I feel like cloak is practically useless.

Actually, the cloak is probably one of the most useful augs in the whole game. It's a little overpowered, even.

EVERY AUG doesn't recharge - batteries recharge automatically only if they haven't been fully used. The first battery will always recharge automatically. Those are the rules that all augs that use power follow. You don't really need to "add" a lot of batteries, instead upgrade how fast the batteries recharge, and keep reusing the free energy that the first battery continually provides.

The cloak is really meant to be turned on/off a lot. You can jump between cover without waiting for patrols to finish, just cloaking for the time you're visible. You can cloak and run up to guys and do a takedown if they won't turn around.

The cloak even lets you PASS THROUGH LASER SECURITY SYSTEMS UNDETECTED (this is why I think it's overpowered). Instead of hacking or knocking out a guard for a keycode or ventcrawling etc., you can just tap a button to turn cloak on, walk through the lasers, and tap it to turn it off.

The cloak isn't meant to be like Crysis 2's cloak, which let you use it for ages and run by every single thing undetected. It's a tool, not a crutch, but it's very powerful when used properly. I also maxed mine out, and did not regret it.

Trust me.

Enraged Penguin
31st Aug 2011, 00:32
It's not useless. You just have to use it economically, in six second bursts (maximum). Otherwise you'll drain an energy cell and it wont recharge. As long as the cell isn't fully depleted then it will recharge, fairly quickly too with the energy augs.

The only time you should really be using the cloak for more than six seconds is in emergencies. For example when enemies are searching for you and you can't escape their field of vision within that six second window.

Good augs to combine with the Cloaking System are the Hyper Oxygenation and Sprint Enhancement augs. With those you can cover some serious distance in your six second window. More than enough to get you out of virtually any cluster**** the game can throw at you.

NapalmLemon
31st Aug 2011, 01:15
I like to use the cloak while jumping from cover to cover, it makes it really quick to hop around without waiting for enemies to turn their back.

In Panchea It would have really sucked not to have the cloak.

ArchangelX
31st Aug 2011, 01:28
I don't think it's meant to be able to have on all the time while you take out baddies...it's used in short spurts, as previously mentioned, and is one of the better systems I've seen implemented. I love having to manage the energy level...it makes things a little tense at times. Do I sacrifice a whole bar just to get into position or do I take a chance and release it a bit early? It's great for the short sprints between cover.

I like it...

ufo8mycat
31st Aug 2011, 01:44
I decided to acquire the Cloak and I must say it definitely is over-powered. It makes the stealth even easier, which I know thats what it's meant to do. Less effort and thinking is required on my part, as I can effortlessly just activate the cloak and get past certain situations/areas.

I mean if you acquire Cloak + fast run + batteries you could literally run through the game. This combination would be killer for TOTAL STEALTH runs.

I don't really use it much anymore, because it is much more enjoyable and rewarding getting past areas without it.

t0lkien
31st Aug 2011, 02:12
If you want to run around and shoot everything with impunity while invisible, then yeah, cloaking "sucks". But then... you're playing entirely the wrong game.

Shelledfade
31st Aug 2011, 02:17
If you want to run around and shoot everything with impunity while invisible, then yeah, cloaking "sucks". But then... you're playing entirely the wrong game.

Using cloak for 3-5 seconds is supposed to be useful ? Are you kidding me?

What's the point when I can just sneak around without even needing to use it.

IMHO, waste of points.

ufo8mycat
31st Aug 2011, 02:49

IMHO, waste of points.

I have to agree here, I have a save about 10 minutes prior to now where I haven't added points to the cloak. Going to reload it.

Sneaking is easy enough as it is, with the cloak I don't even have to care about guards patrolling patterns, just effortlessly and mindlessly sneak past even if they are right next to me.

Way to overpowered.

I can see where it would "look cool" to use it

EG : 6 guards, one in group of 4, the other in 2. Sneak up to the first 2 and double takedown, then Cloak before the other 4 see you, sneak inbetween them, deactivate cloak and use typhoon.

Yeah that would look cool and all but yeah, I am going back to my previous save. :)

t0lkien
31st Aug 2011, 03:31

IMHO, waste of points.

Actually, you can cloak for 5x7 seconds at maximum augmentation (I think - I haven't purchased more cells because I haven't needed more than 14 seconds cloaking ever). And there are more than several sections in the game so far where if I didn't have cloaking it would have been seriously painful and frustrating. Of course it's possible to do stuff without it, but it's saved my butt more than once or twice. I've used it all the time.

I still say if you don't value the cloaking ability you are probably wanting a different style of game. Just go shooting/frontal assault augs and do things that way.

DXM1
31st Aug 2011, 05:00
cloak is the best aug in the game. You need more power for it, but energy supplements are widely available and you can even buy them in hospitals.

all you need to do is upgrade your battery capacity and max the cloak so it uses less power.

Cloak and run into a bunch of enemies, then activate typhoon without even breaking the cloak. Or cloak to sneak by cameras, enemies, turrets.

Also you do NOT break the cloak when you fire. Once maxed + all batteries, it will last you long enough to take out an entire room of people at point blank range.

all you have to do is use it smart and activate/deactivate when needed. also, try to deactivate before a battery depletes if possible to recharge it.

EDIT: if you are playing on a console, and you cant run around quickly making turns and eliminating enemies with precision then cloak may not be so good for you. For pc players its awesome.

loudent
31st Aug 2011, 05:34
I'm not sure there is any "must have" aug in this game. I got cloaking relatively late and there have been a few times I've found it convenient. Pretty much most augs have been like that.

There is no respec, but trust me, at some point you'll have more praxis then you know what to do with. Eventually you'll just start throwing them into random things.

Romeo
31st Aug 2011, 07:15
cloak is the best aug in the game. You need more power for it, but energy supplements are widely available and you can even buy them in hospitals.

all you need to do is upgrade your battery capacity and max the cloak so it uses less power.

Cloak and run into a bunch of enemies, then activate typhoon without even breaking the cloak. Or cloak to sneak by cameras, enemies, turrets.

Also you do NOT break the cloak when you fire. Once maxed + all batteries, it will last you long enough to take out an entire room of people at point blank range.

all you have to do is use it smart and activate/deactivate when needed. also, try to deactivate before a battery depletes if possible to recharge it.

EDIT: if you are playing on a console, and you cant run around quickly making turns and eliminating enemies with precision then cloak may not be so good for you. For pc players its awesome.
I have it on both. Believe me, it is just as useful on both platforms.

ZakKa89
31st Aug 2011, 07:18
I upgraded it and found it very usefull. The trick is to cloak> Go to next cover > uncloak > repeat or combine it with icarus landing system for example. Also sueful for going trough lasers

shm0
31st Aug 2011, 07:23
l2 cloak>peek>headshot.

numinous
31st Aug 2011, 07:33
You have 7 seconds per pip when fully upgraded. That's insane. You can get through nearly half a level only using one pip and if you decloak in time you'll only ever drain a single pip.

It's pretty overpowered, actually. It's also a prime example why resource management was such a big issue on these forums because we knew things like this would happen.

Romeo
31st Aug 2011, 07:40
I upgraded it and found it very usefull. The trick is to cloak> Go to next cover > uncloak > repeat or combine it with icarus landing system for example. Also sueful for going trough lasers
I'm not using cover, but I found it was useful to either sneak up closer to a guard when there was no cover available, or to simply check to see if said guard was looking.

DieBySword
1st Sep 2011, 17:36
Cloak is OP because you can get fast to a bunch of enemies (3 ppl) takedown one with the stun gun and do the double takedown and decloke before the first cell runs out. Dosnt matter if they hear you or get alarmed by the stun gun, as long as you are cloaked you can take them down and dont loose the ghost bonus.

About the lasers - yeah you can use it to bypase them but you can use the stun gun to disable the laser nodes for a few second that makes it the same and you dont need to waste 2-5 praxis into the cloak skill.

Locutus of BORG
1st Sep 2011, 18:03

IMHO, waste of points.

3 seconds isn't a lot, but 5-7 seconds per battery is amazing - especially given how you can already sneak around normally.

Those seconds spent in cloak basically let you do all the things you can't do in normal sneaking... such as sneak right through lasers, maybe? It also happens to be a non-lethal escape mechanism when the game occasionally rushes you with mobs of hostile mooks.

If it weren't for the noise of your footsteps (which can be dealt with) Cloak would be a complete cheat power.

JCpies
1st Sep 2011, 18:04
Cloaking is useful, but I don't use it very much due to the high power consumption, you also have to use it carefully so that you don't run out of energy when you're in plain sight.

Akimbo
1st Sep 2011, 18:06
It's a tool, not a crutch, but it's very powerful when used properly.

This entirely. Pretty tired of people trying to play this game like a console shooter, then complaining when they can't cloak all the time, they run out of ammo, someone shoots them and they die too quickly. Bullets hurt, who'd have known?

ZakKa89
1st Sep 2011, 18:16
It's also not a waste of points because I had almost every augmentation fully upgraded at the end of the game including all the cool ones.

CarpeNukemXVIII
1st Sep 2011, 18:48
You're not supposed to use it forever. It's there to allow you to quickly move from one point to the next without being seen. It was one of the best augs I picked up, and having it maxed out with more power almost breaks the game. Also useful to confuse bosses and avoid lasers.

miraa
1st Sep 2011, 18:53
I disagree with the OP. Personally, I feel cloak is the most powerful aug by a very large margin.

It's NOT intended as a "invisible everywhere all the time" thing. Used in short bursts, it's really powerful, and if you max it out, you can bypass whole roomfuls of guards.

In fact, I'd even say cloak is TOO powerful.

_sodie_
1st Sep 2011, 20:44
This guy is trolling the forum so hard. Between this and his other "serious issues" thread, I can't believe no one has pointed it out, lol.