PDA

View Full Version : Emotionlessness....

Falkenwut
30th Aug 2011, 22:02
Hi peeps.
I have recently been playing Deus Ex, and I must say... LOVING IT!!!!!
However a small note I'm noticing about Adam Jensen..does his expressions seem a bit.... emotionless... or is it just me?

Hey, at least it's not as bad as this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK_9uBR0NAQ

Rindill the Red
30th Aug 2011, 22:04
Adam's definitely got emotions. They're just really subtle and don't come off well most of the time. Largely there is a seething anger.

I know Toufexis did as well as he was able, but I think trying to give an emotional under-current to a JC-like character is a mistake. You'd need an actor with a naturally gravelly deep voice to pull it off right. Toufexis strains too much to reach Adam's voice and his performance and Adam's character suffers for it.

The robotic animations and poor facial work and in-game pre-rendered cut-scenes also detract from any emotional weight.

Falkenwut
30th Aug 2011, 22:06
True, there is a bit of anger in his expressions. From the Deus Ex wikia, I also read that it's also there to slightly imitate JC Denton from the 1st game. Agreed or disagree?

remmus
30th Aug 2011, 22:10
True, there is a bit of anger in his expressions. From the Deus Ex wikia, I also read that it's also there to slightly imitate JC Denton from the 1st game. Agreed or disagree?

more like he is trying to be like the latest generation batman (aka Batman Begins/dark knight)

ZakKa89
30th Aug 2011, 23:06
JC Denton sounded more neutral. Jensen sounds like a angry badass. He has a reason to be though...

Reven
30th Aug 2011, 23:23
Jensen never really seems to be smart to me. We are told he is in emails and off hand comments and even things in his apartment yet he is unable to put the simplest parts of the conspiracy together right from the start. When Cindy at reception has figured it out before the smartest men in the building then you have a real problem.

Rindill the Red
31st Aug 2011, 00:12
Jensen never really seems to be smart to me. We are told he is in emails and off hand comments and even things in his apartment yet he is unable to put the simplest parts of the conspiracy together right from the start. When Cindy at reception has figured it out before the smartest men in the building then you have a real problem.

I think this comes from LCD game design. They assume the player is an idiot so they make the playable character an idiot too.

Reven
31st Aug 2011, 00:49
And thats what i loved about Deus Ex - it never treated you like an idiot in fact in places it gave you way to much credit as it showed how smart and complex it could be. But as much as i like DX:HR it's just not smart and neither is Jensen.

EricaLeeV
31st Aug 2011, 00:56
I don't know, Adam seemed to have displayed quite a bit of emotion towards some people.

A friendly humorous nature towards Latita.

A sincere much more kind nature towards Cassandra Reed.

Not to mention during the last few lines of the Exploring Adam's past/White Helix side mission I thought I heard Adam choke up at some parts.

However, like others stated before me, the devs made him to be similar to JC Denton. Who did not show much emotion outwardly.

ArchangelX
31st Aug 2011, 01:12
^ Truph. I like his voice-acting...he's restrained but exactly how would you be after getting aug'ed all to hell without your permission. It's like...a violent, seething mass of energy under there...he takes it out with his actions. Hell, choke-lifting two guys and then slamming them together doesn't exactly scream "sensitive" to me.

Adam is one of my new fav characters...he's just serious business, that's all.

Bobity
31st Aug 2011, 05:03
^ Truph. I like his voice-acting...he's restrained but exactly how would you be after getting aug'ed all to hell without your permission. It's like...a violent, seething mass of energy under there...he takes it out with his actions. Hell, choke-lifting two guys and then slamming them together doesn't exactly scream "sensitive" to me.

Adam is one of my new fav characters...he's just serious business, that's all.

So what's his excuse before being AUG'd out? Cancer of some sort? Previously being the Batman? Being Neo? lol

BULLHIT101
31st Aug 2011, 07:43
Give the man a break. He almost died, went through a serious augmentation, found out he was lied to about his parents and discovered a hug plot by the illuminati. That's sure to ruin everyone's day.

nakedhand
31st Aug 2011, 11:18
Hi peeps.
I have recently been playing Deus Ex, and I must say... LOVING IT!!!!!
However a small note I'm noticing about Adam Jensen..does his expressions seem a bit.... emotionless... or is it just me?

There is certainly a monotonous, void and robotic feel to his voice.

To me Adam just sounds jaded. For some reason it doesn´t bother me that much in the game, however I would see it as an improvement had he been more human (or a better actor).

Enraged Penguin
31st Aug 2011, 11:23
I don't know, Adam seemed to have displayed quite a bit of emotion towards some people.

A friendly humorous nature towards Latita.

A sincere much more kind nature towards Cassandra Reed.

Not to mention during the last few lines of the Exploring Adam's past/White Helix side mission I thought I heard Adam choke up at some parts.

However, like others stated before me, the devs made him to be similar to JC Denton. Who did not show much emotion outwardly.

Yeah I agree I think he showed quite a bit of emotion. Most of it was shown via his dry, sarcastic sense of humour though. If you don't pick up on the sarcasm then it probably sounds a bit weird.

And I think Pritchard is another good example that can be added to your list. He obviously hates Pritchard, and it shows.

EricaLeeV
31st Aug 2011, 11:42
Yeah I agree I think he showed quite a bit of emotion. Most of it was shown via his dry, sarcastic sense of humour though. If you don't pick up on the sarcasm then it probably sounds a bit weird.

And I think Pritchard is another good example that can be added to your list. He obviously hates Pritchard, and it shows.

His talks with Pritchard are some of my favorite in the game. In particular I love the part in Montreal where Pritchard mentions there is something odd about this situation wherein Jensen states the obvious weirdness of a news station with an 'underground center' and the fact that he was being attacked there by Belltower mercs. Good times.