PDA

View Full Version : Let's imagine for a moment we're designing multiplayer

EvilEngineN9
30th Aug 2011, 21:20
This is an experimental thread, I'm trying to find some interesting ideas, so if you happen to have one, please share it here, I'm sure it will be fun.

I was sitting here thinking how to fit other players into the original storyline. Would it be Malik who decided to take her chances and do some shooting, or maybe David Sarif himself would like to accompany Adam on one of his missions. Too many people would make a crowd on the streets unless it's a well-teamed group of professionals which these guys don't seem to be. Even two dudes walking around Detroit searching for clues would look suspicious, off and most importantly, ridiculous.

From the user's standpoint, it should look as if you're going on a mission with your partners (other security chiefs, right) and all of you possess your own sets of abilities that may vary from person to person (different characters have different augs available). Clones would look weird, so pre-set characters would do. For a stealth mission more than two would be too much. Even when on an ambush, a crowd of augmented security chiefs (nobody's gonna believe when this is on the news) would be a total mess. So two players are enough for a DX:HR multiplayer experience for starters.

Now who's the other guy, besides Adam Jensen. I don't know. Not so mane capable characters in the first place, might as well introduce someone new.

Both of the players must have full ability set that a player has in singleplayer, including blind shooting from around the corner, vent crawling and takedowns. One player throwing a carton box in the corner of a large room could get enough enemy's attention required for the other player to knock out some of them. Teamwork should be rewarded by additional experience points and co-op specific augmentations.

Back to the mission starting points. While wandering around in pair everywhere isn't exactly necessary, partners could be in two different parts of the local area simultaneously, one buying weapon mods and ammo, other talking to guards and getting a side quest. Missions don't "begin" in DX like a flashing "Fight!" text, but some quests take place in a detached location that requires loading the map to begin with. Leaving your friend in town buying praxis kits from LIMB vendor is like playing single player which doesn't make much sense when actually playing co-op. So two players need to be in the same place to enter the door to the next location where the action takes place.

Players might want to accumulate the tasks to complete together beforehand, so there should be an option to invite your friend to join you on your mission, once your friend also has that mission available (discovers it naturally by talking to the right person).

I think that's it for now. You may add or change some things, but please include arguments, I'd like to know why you think that way.

remmus
30th Aug 2011, 21:24
ok so I imagen I´m a developer of multiplayer for this game...

...I call to the main office, say the developers are idiots, quit and go work for a game company who doesn´t wanna shoe horn multiplayer into every game because it sound money making on paper.

EvilEngineN9
31st Aug 2011, 13:36
C'mon, guys.

cqc_batman
31st Aug 2011, 17:22
NO MULTIPLAYER!!!!

THEY DON'T BELONG IN DEUS EX. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER!!!:mad2:

Tale
31st Aug 2011, 17:32
Okay, get this. It'll have new weapons, new augments, and a full storyline.

Of course, with all that, some cuts would have to be made. So they can just only allow one player to the multiplayer. Seems fair.

AlexOfSpades
31st Aug 2011, 17:57
You guys DO KNOW that Deus Ex 1 had Multiplayer, and you guys DO KNOW that a lot of people still play it right?

Shralla
31st Aug 2011, 20:53
Taking out the cover system would be a necessity in any theoretical multiplayer.

Ragequit
1st Sep 2011, 01:16
You wouldn't have to take out the cover system because it can be broken through vents/rooftops and cloaking, as well as grenades. I don't think co-op would be the greatest idea at this point but I think multiplayer modes like team deathmatch or capture the flag could work

pha
1st Sep 2011, 01:29
I would SO pwn all of you noobs if there was competitive multiplayer, but I'd rather they focused on single player content only.

Jason Parker
1st Sep 2011, 01:54
To be honest I agree that bringing multiplayer would be wasted effort. Especialy if in the end it only comes up with lame "never before seen" Deathmatch and CTF. Seriously guys, go play some good old HLDM or Action-Quake or UT for that.

The Coop Idea sounds cool, but definetly would need a storyline of it's own and predefined fixed roles (similar to L4D) to make any sense at all.

If anything multiplayer like should be done ever again regarding DX then it's an MMORPG/FPS in that setting. But that would need another Dev-Team with experience in building MMOs and at least 5 to 7 years of development to get the quality anywhere close to the single player franchise.

But as the OP says let's pretend we'd do make multiplayer: Assuming the weapon balance and damage reduction of the "Give Me Deus Ex" mode would be taken over 1:1 I think the cover system can stay in aswell. You'd just had to make it objective driven multiplayer modes similar to things like counter strike or Battlefield instead of simple deatchmatches. This way also hacking could be incorporated. Does anyone remember the multiplayer in Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow? That was a brilliant example of how stealth game can also work in multiplayer.

The Hammin8r
1st Sep 2011, 02:02
Multiplayer co-op an dmaybe even objective based team games could be awesome

EvilEngineN9
1st Sep 2011, 13:04
The Coop Idea sounds cool, but definetly would need a storyline of it's own and predefined fixed roles (similar to L4D) to make any sense at all. Yes, that's the easiest solution I could think of.

Even if we just stick some random guy with no background story into singleplayer missions, it wouldn't be much trouble playing the original game together. Imagine all the possibilities. Use voice chat and you're a great team.

Jason Parker
1st Sep 2011, 13:09
Even if we just stick some random guy with no background story into singleplayer missions, it wouldn't be much trouble playing the original game together. Imagine all the possibilities. Use voice chat and you're a great team.

In principle yes. But the troopers in the missions hardly stand a chance against Adam Jenson alone. Doing them as a team of 4 augmented badasses won't be much of a challenge and hence only fun for like 5 minutes.

But definetly a 4 player Coop mode sounds like a perfect mod project for all those gifted hobby game designers out there if only we'd get a SDK of sorts.

EvilEngineN9
1st Sep 2011, 13:42
In principle yes. But the troopers in the missions hardly stand a chance against Adam Jenson alone. Doing them as a team of 4 augmented badasses won't be much of a challenge and hence only fun for like 5 minutes. When I think about difficult missions for 4 experienced badasses, I think of enemy military base with mech bots, cameras, turrets and all sorts of traps. That's when it really needs a helluva teamwork.

But definetly a 4 player Coop mode sounds like a perfect mod project for all those gifted hobby game designers out there if only we'd get a SDK of sorts. Good idea. Left 4 Augs :)

Pete278
1st Sep 2011, 13:46
You guys DO KNOW that Deus Ex 1 had Multiplayer, and you guys DO KNOW that a lot of people still play it right?
I really enjoyed the multiplayer in Deus Ex 1, actually, up until the servers in my area stopped and my only options had 300 ping. Its really weird that so many people who claim to be huge fans ignore its existance.

Speed + Sniper for days.

Jason Parker
1st Sep 2011, 13:55
I really enjoyed the multiplayer in Deus Ex 1, actually, up until the servers in my area stopped and my only options had 300 ping. Its really weird that so many people who claim to be huge fans ignore its existance.

Speed + Sniper for days.

No doubt it is fun having multiplayer deathmatches with Deus Ex Augs. But honestly. Deus Ex's Engine has so much potential to deliver far more than "lame" deathmatches. That's why I say if only plans for multiplayer are to bring deathmatch only you might aswell not do it at all because as you and others said: We have that already for DX 1.

Like I said with all that's possible with this engine objective driven tactical multiplayer battles incorporating all the playstyles from the single player (sneaking, hacking, stealthing, melee) is the least that I expect if a multiplayer mode is done. And like said I see great potential for a 4 player coop game in the Deus Ex Setting.

knicks21
1st Sep 2011, 18:47
i would rather they focus on singleplayer dlc than multiplayer but if they were doing multi it would be cool to take your jensen and see how he stacks up. maybe challenge rooms like in that batman game with leader boards?

EvilEngineN9
2nd Sep 2011, 00:01
I don't feel like this is a game where you can do things common to arcade games. I remember playing old Batman games on PS1 with my friend, those were the days, but games evolved and we don't have to make any more survival or "defend the point" modes, we can actually do better now and besides, DX doesn't seem to be a good fit for that kind of game mode. It's based more on tactics and strategies. Some action, yes, but more thinking.

Turic
2nd Sep 2011, 09:51
I think, that the good solition is make multiplayer as in Gears of war, or, maybe, in Crysis.

We have abilities, that can improve with level of character. It wold be nice.

Other solution - like in Team Fortress, different classes of characters, different play style.

Gametypes - "only shooting", "defend base", "defuse bomb", "Ctf - hack the system".

EvilEngineN9
2nd Sep 2011, 10:13
We have abilities, that can improve with level of character. It wold be nice. Basically it's just that in the original game. Each level grants you a slight enhancement.

Other solution - like in Team Fortress, different classes of characters, different play style. While TF2 is a rock-paper-scissors game (with 3 kinds of each, apparently), DX has always been about giving you the most choice within a single character. You sneak, crawl, knock out and you can't suddenly become unable to use lethal weapons. It's just not right for DX.

Gametypes - "only shooting", "defend base", "defuse bomb", "Ctf - hack the system".We already have Counter-Strike for some of those. DX:HR has far more potential.

There can be a mode where you are divided into small groups. One group holds the "gates" with firepower, other group hacks enemy's computers and defends controlled nodes from other teams, and the third group sneaks to the enemy base and grabs the intel (stealth ctf). All this simultaneously. That'd be a bomb.

AlexOfSpades
2nd Sep 2011, 17:40
You know which game would rock with Co-op?

Dead Space.